ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early Discussion of 2021 Realignment

tarheelg

Sep 21, 2001
Creedmoor, NC
It's only about a year away before the officials in charge of realignment will begin looking at the new set of conferences for the four year cycle to run from 2021-2025....With this year's ADM numbers, I started tinkering with some numbers and realize they have quite a dilemma, and must say that I quickly discovered exactly why they went with the 20/30/30/20 model for the 2017-2021 cycle. As you might guess, if you follow high school sports (or politics) in NC and read a lot of message board banter, the primary complicating issue is charter schools: For years and years, the 25% rule worked well to separate the four classes, but now with SO many schools with enrollments of 300 or less, many of whom do not have a football program, going 25% across the board would put 104-105 schools in each class, but in 1A, only 68 of the 104 current schools in the bottom 25% of all schools actually have a football program. As many more charter schools have applied to open over the next few years, the number of non-football 1A schools will most likely continue to increase.

What the NCHSAA did for the 2017 realignment, to offset this problem of a disproportionate number of 1A schools without football, was go to a 20%/30%/30%/20%, using only the football playing schools (about 380) from the total number (about 420), then when they set the ADM range for 1A/2A/3A/4A, then went back and plugged in the non-football schools in the appropriate class, so we wound up with something like 78 4A schools, 114 3A schools, 116 2A schools (DSA & NCSSM without football), and 111 1A schools (including about 75 with football plus about 36 without it).

Looking ahead to 2021, many are clamoring to return to the old 25/25/25/25, but here's the problem: If we go to a straight 25/25/25/25 and use the same process of taking out the non-football schools to set the range for each class, then add them in after the class range is set, then we wind up with something like: 95 schools in 4A, 96 schools in 3A, 97 schools in 2A (these all seem reasonable) BUT....132 in 1A, with potentially 4 or 5 new ones added every year or two as more charter schools open...and bear in mind, about 36 or more of them do not have football)....perhaps the board of directors or realignment committee or whoever decides such matters would be ok with this, as it would allow both 1A & 4A football playoffs to probably go back to allowing 64 teams to qualify instead of 48. I think the most troubling aspect of this plan (if football schools are taken out when setting the range) is not that there are 132 1A schools, but that the ranges would be as follows: 1A would be ADM up to ~725.....2A would be ADM ~734-1019.....3A would be ADM ~1023-1506.....and 4A would be ADM ~1507 and up

For what it's worth, if they use the same 20/30/30/20 process they used for the 2017 realignment, and take out the non-football schools when setting the class ranges, right now we would be looking at approximately 76 4A schools, 116 3A schools, 115 2A schools, and 111 1A schools (only about 75 with football). The class range cut lines would be as follows: 1A ADM up to 626....2A ADM from 628-1013.....3A ADM from 1014-1596.....4A ADM from 1622-3513

If they go to a straight up 25/25/25/25 and not take into account whether or not a school has a football program....That would put 104-105 schools in each class, and allow 4A to probably go back to 64 teams in the playoffs (and 1A in many sports, not football though), and the cut lines would be as follows: 1A: ADM up to 592.....2A would be ADM 596-943.....3A would be ADM 944-1480......4A would be ADM 1482-3513.

Many schools will probably look much different next year, but remember one thing, just like every year if you go into the A or AA subdivisions for the playoffs: It's not just about whether or not your school goes up or down; it's about how much you rise or fall, RELATIVE TO EVERYBODY ELSE

Last edited:
For the most part, the small schools on the lower end of these classifications struggle against schools with 200-400 more kids, especially in secondary sports (tennis, wrestling, soccer, baseball, softball, etc).

Good topic and good opening post!

A few thoughts.

My preference is that football is aligned separately than all other sports. Football is "different" than the other sports and I believe it should be reviewed separately. The non football sports are much more along the same lines to include girls sports. I would like to see the realignment go as standard year 1 then football realign in year 3. Think Summer and Winter Olympics: 2016 and 2018. 2020 and 2022. I believe this could give the football coaches more autonomy and improve the game but they have to work together as one and not several fragmented groups determined by class, geography, success, et al. This was put forth to the schools when the process for the current alignment being played under today started the review discussions. Schools were against it. Some of the reasons given were it would be too confusing, people would not understand, it would hurt rivalries, among others.

I bring up the following split because I have learned that the baseball coaches have been discussing subdividing and may have voted on it. Let me make it clear I do not favor subdividing non football sports except for a major caveat I will discuss further into this. We have seen small A schools play for and win championships. I do believe the subdividing of non football sports will cause a drop in the quality of the game(s).

I think one thing that could be looked at is going to more teams in 2A and 3A but subdivide for all team sports. Do NOT subdivide for individual sports! The split may could be 16/34/34/16 or somewhere in that area. The 1A and 4A schools seem to be pocketed together more in smaller or more isolated geographical areas.

Here is the kicker, for 1A subdivide for all team sports OTHER than football as "traditional" or "non traditional". The biggest logistical issue will be how to determine what is a "traditional" school. First, all charters and magnet schools are non traditional. WS Prep, School of Science and Math, Lincoln Charter, Thomas Jeffereson, Gray Stone, et al will all be non traditional. The fight will be "regular" schools that need to be deemed non traditional due to not following their district lines for enrollment. Any school that allows a student to play athletics that does not live in the district boundaries of the school would play non traditional. Exceptions would be the child of a parent that is a teacher or administrator at the school. No non faculty coaches children or a part time employees children. Have to stop ways to work around the rule! Another exception would be if a student moves from the district after the start of their junior school year they would be allowed to remain in the school. Would need to determine how to deal with a younger sibling in a situation such as this. I expect that some laws such as homeless children would be another issue that would require extra review. This is about being fair to the masses on the playing field and not making exceptions for a small amount of students so they or a school can take advantage of the rules.

That is a lot to think about but just a few items I think that need to be looked at as possible improvements to what we have.

A few thoughts.

My preference is that football is aligned separately than all other sports. Football is "different" than the other sports and I believe it should be reviewed separately. The non football sports are much more along the same lines to include girls sports. I would like to see the realignment go as standard year 1 then football realign in year 3. Think Summer and Winter Olympics: 2016 and 2018. 2020 and 2022. I believe this could give the football coaches more autonomy and improve the game but they have to work together as one and not several fragmented groups determined by class, geography, success, et al. This was put forth to the schools when the process for the current alignment being played under today started the review discussions. Schools were against it. Some of the reasons given were it would be too confusing, people would not understand, it would hurt rivalries, among others.

I bring up the following split because I have learned that the baseball coaches have been discussing subdividing and may have voted on it. Let me make it clear I do not favor subdividing non football sports except for a major caveat I will discuss further into this. We have seen small A schools play for and win championships. I do believe the subdividing of non football sports will cause a drop in the quality of the game(s).

I think one thing that could be looked at is going to more teams in 2A and 3A but subdivide for all team sports. Do NOT subdivide for individual sports! The split may could be 16/34/34/16 or somewhere in that area. The 1A and 4A schools seem to be pocketed together more in smaller or more isolated geographical areas.

Here is the kicker, for 1A subdivide for all team sports OTHER than football as "traditional" or "non traditional". The biggest logistical issue will be how to determine what is a "traditional" school. First, all charters and magnet schools are non traditional. WS Prep, School of Science and Math, Lincoln Charter, Thomas Jeffereson, Gray Stone, et al will all be non traditional. The fight will be "regular" schools that need to be deemed non traditional due to not following their district lines for enrollment. Any school that allows a student to play athletics that does not live in the district boundaries of the school would play non traditional. Exceptions would be the child of a parent that is a teacher or administrator at the school. No non faculty coaches children or a part time employees children. Have to stop ways to work around the rule! Another exception would be if a student moves from the district after the start of their junior school year they would be allowed to remain in the school. Would need to determine how to deal with a younger sibling in a situation such as this. I expect that some laws such as homeless children would be another issue that would require extra review. This is about being fair to the masses on the playing field and not making exceptions for a small amount of students so they or a school can take advantage of the rules.

That is a lot to think about but just a few items I think that need to be looked at as possible improvements to what we have.
Any idea roughly what the ADM parameters would be for 2A and 3A under your proposal?

Using 380 football playing schools the number of schools would work out to 61 in 1A, 130 in 2A and 3A, and 59 in 4A.

I would think 2A would start below 600 probably closer to 580 or 590 and go up to about 1,000. It would start with the 62d smallest school. It would only take in a few schools from the current 3A to get to 130 schools.

3A range would be approximately 1,000 to 1,700. Those are large differences but with subdividing each team sport the ranges become become about 200 students in 2A and 350 in 3A.

I am sure the small 1A schools will complain and it looks like they would need to subdivide with the traditional and non traditional schools in some form.

I am not a fan of subdividing but if other sports are starting to ask for it then it is on the way.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Good topic and discussion....Appreciate the input in regards to the non traditional schools because it is a topic that needs to be addressed in regards to future realignments and particularly in regards to the playoffs in all sports...

Reactions: CatDad312
Good topic and discussion....Appreciate the input in regards to the non traditional schools because it is a topic that needs to be addressed in regards to future realignments and particularly in regards to the playoffs in all sports...
Yes, I've said before, I don't care how few students a school has enrolled or reports for its 20 day ADM, it's a travesty that a school whose enrollment area is restricted by a COUNTY line is in the same playoff bracket against a school whose enrollment area is restricted by a STATE line

Using 380 football playing schools the number of schools would work out to 61 in 1A, 130 in 2A and 3A, and 59 in 4A.

I would think 2A would start below 600 probably closer to 580 or 590 and go up to about 1,000. It would start with the 62d smallest school. It would only take in a few schools from the current 3A to get to 130 schools.

3A range would be approximately 1,000 to 1,700. Those are large differences but with subdividing each team sport the ranges become become about 200 students in 2A and 350 in 3A.

I am sure the small 1A schools will complain and it looks like they would need to subdivide with the traditional and non traditional schools in some form.

I am not a fan of subdividing but if other sports are starting to ask for it then it is on the way.

I’d be curious to know what percentage of male students play football (jv and varsity combined) at posters’ schools. At Thomasville this year, it’s about 12%. If you back out the Latino kids, it goes up to 17%. Traditionally in the 70’, 80’s and 90’s, it was 25-30%. Any thoughts?

I think the Northwest 1A conference will likely all stay with the same schools, I don't see any going to 2A. HOWEVER, I do see Millenium Charter Academy and Cornerstone Charter Academy joining theis conference. Millenium Charter Academy has kids enrolled as far away as Greensboro (1 hour drive). The WPAC 2A conference and MVAC 1A/2A will likely all stay the same as well, except for possibly Carver dropping to 1A, or by 2021 Carver and WS Prep will be consolidated as 1 school which would then be a 2A school.

I personally think NON-traditional schools should be given 3 options:
1. Play up a classification
2. Have their own playoff, which they can play in
3. Play in the private school playoff

The NCHSAA has a serious issue at its hands, and if they choose to ignore the ever growing issue of traditional vs. non-traditional schools, then they will soon find schools starting to form their own association. This is not out of the question, because AD's from across the state, specifically in Western NC are already beginning to have this conversation with one another.

Is there talks of this happening? Because if it doesn't/didn't Carver will definitely be dropping to 1A

I have heard that these 2 might be consolidated, but I have also heard Atkins/WS Prep/Carver might all 3 become 1. This has more to do with the poor grade reports that WS Prep and Carver have, especially WS Prep.

Reactions: mbdfan
I have heard that these 2 might be consolidated, but I have also heard Atkins/WS Prep/Carver might all 3 become 1. This has more to do with the poor grade reports that WS Prep and Carver have, especially WS Prep.
They're all really close to each other as well, along with Walkertown. There's absolutely no point in all 4 existing.

It's strange to me how the enrollment at Atkins could put them in 3A by 2021, while it looks inevitable that Carver is going to 1A by 2021....Walkertown figures to be right along the cutline for 1A & 2A depending on what their number is next year....."strange to me", in that you would expect the school board could do some redistricting to make it more even, or like someone mentioned, consolidate some together.....Also, just to clarify, Is Winston-Salem Prep under the jurisdiction of Forsyth Co. Schools and not a state charter school?

Yes, I've said before, I don't care how few students a school has enrolled or reports for its 20 day ADM, it's a travesty that a school whose enrollment area is restricted by a COUNTY line is in the same playoff bracket against a school whose enrollment area is restricted by a STATE line

There have been posts on here claiming that a border private school in Flair country may or may not have students from another state. There is absolutely no way a South Carolina resident should be playing for a North Carolina state championship.

I think the Northwest 1A conference will likely all stay with the same schools, I don't see any going to 2A. HOWEVER, I do see Millenium Charter Academy and Cornerstone Charter Academy joining theis conference. Millenium Charter Academy has kids enrolled as far away as Greensboro (1 hour drive). The WPAC 2A conference and MVAC 1A/2A will likely all stay the same as well, except for possibly Carver dropping to 1A, or by 2021 Carver and WS Prep will be consolidated as 1 school which would then be a 2A school.

The NCHSAA has a serious issue at its hands, and if they choose to ignore the ever growing issue of traditional vs. non-traditional schools, then they will soon find schools starting to form their own association. This is not out of the question, because AD's from across the state, specifically in Western NC are already beginning to have this conversation with one another.

Carver and the NC Leadership Academy out of Kenersville are going to need a 1A conference too. I wouldn't be shocked to see MA and ES back with the MVC 1A schools.

It's strange to me how the enrollment at Atkins could put them in 3A by 2021, while it looks inevitable that Carver is going to 1A by 2021....Walkertown figures to be right along the cutline for 1A & 2A depending on what their number is next year....."strange to me", in that you would expect the school board could do some redistricting to make it more even, or like someone mentioned, consolidate some together.....Also, just to clarify, Is Winston-Salem Prep under the jurisdiction of Forsyth Co. Schools and not a state charter school?
Yes WSP is a part of WSFCS. It is a magnet school. Atkins is a different animal, sharing building with a middle school while new school being built. It may open next school year. Then Atkins will have 3A numbers, probably turned away over 200 students this year because of capacity. But these students aren’t going to Atkins to play sports. It is a STEM school and highest academically ranked school in WSFCS. Has had a young man on Jeopardy 2 nights this week

There have been posts on here claiming that a border private school in Flair country may or may not have students from another state. There is absolutely no way a South Carolina resident should be playing for a North Carolina state championship.

The problem for 1A schools is charters, magnets, and schools that allow students that live outside the district boundary to enroll and play sports. Out of state students is going to be minimal. That student from out of state would be required to pay the state and county tuitions. By the way, you are late to the party. I have known of public schools with athletes from SC, VA, and Tennessee.

Give us your definition of a "non traditional" school? That is the most important thing that needs to be determined in 1A. I do not think it is ONLY charters, magnets, and Parochials!!

In answer to your items above.
#3 not a possibility as they are public schools paid for by tax payers and supported by your elected representatives.

#2 I believe is coming for non football sports. There are not enough charters to have their own football class or playoff.

#1 this has been on the table and the NCHSAA admin would probably support it but your NC representatives are not. Look at your representatives votes on charter schools. Most likely he is all in and supports them. (He will probably support what is coming next, home school students can play sports at their home district school.) The issue with relegating the charters to their own classification is the NCHSAA has been told that charters are not to be treated any differently than "traditional" schools. The loophole in my opinion is to deem schools that allow students to enroll and play sports that do not live in the district a "non traditional." This is the only way to move WS Prep as it is not a charter but a county wide magnet. The schools in Forsyth County where you most likely have a few more 1A schools soon allow students to select the school they wish to attend.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Carver and the NC Leadership Academy out of Kenersville are going to need a 1A conference too. I wouldn't be shocked to see MA and ES back with the MVC 1A schools.
Most MA and ES fans would love to see this happen, but I just can't see it. I don't think the MVC 1A's want to leave the split conference (it probably would have to be dictated by the state in order to happen). The greatest fear for MA and ES fans, which is the most likely to happen, is a NW1A that includes MA & ES + Millenium Charter, N.Stokes, S.Stokes, WS Prep, Carver, & Bishop. The competition and gates in most sports would be abysmal. If this were the case, I'd almost rather ES & MA join the WPAC split conference. At least E.Wilkes, Elkin, Starmount, etc would bring decent gates for revenue purposes. That situation would suck for South Stokes and North Stokes, but with their geographic proximity to Winston Salem I foresee them being stuck with Prep, Carver, Bishop, NC Leadership Academy, maybe even Cornerstone Charter, from this point forward.

A few thoughts.

Are there enough charter schools to have a separate playoff. I don't disagree that there is a growing problem, but will a separate playoff be effective?

Give us your definition of a "non traditional" school? That is the most important thing that needs to be determined in 1A. I do not think it is ONLY charters, magnets, and Parochials!!

In answer to your items above.
#3 not a possibility as they are public schools paid for by tax payers and supported by your elected representatives.

#2 I believe is coming for non football sports. There are not enough charters to have their own football class or playoff.

#1 this has been on the table and the NCHSAA admin would probably support it but your NC representatives are not. Look at your representatives votes on charter schools. Most likely he is all in and supports them. (He will probably support what is coming next, home school students can play sports at their home district school.) The issue with relegating the charters to their own classification is the NCHSAA has been told that charters are not to be treated any differently than "traditional" schools. The loophole in my opinion is to deem schools that allow students to enroll and play sports that do not live in the district a "non traditional." This is the only way to move WS Prep as it is not a charter but a county wide magnet. The schools in Forsyth County where you most likely have a few more 1A schools soon allow students to select the school they wish to attend.
The only side the politicians will take is who ever lobby them with the most money so if you want changes you better have some money hate to say it but it's the way out crooked broken system works

The only side the politicians will take is who ever lobby them with the most money so if you want changes you better have some money hate to say it but it's the way out crooked broken system works

Getting votes for reelection is a big part of it. Politicans often are not as aware of what they are voting on but are going with what their fellow Party members are requesting of them.

Are there enough charter schools to have a separate playoff. I don't disagree that there is a growing problem, but will a separate playoff be effective?

No. Only a few charters have football. My idea is not a charter school playoff in non football sports but a "traditional" / "non traditional" split. The NCHSAA Board of Directors would need to define the definition and exceptions for a "traditional" school. The main component is schools that only allow students that live in the geographical district to play sports. One of the main items facing 1A schools are magnets in urban areas. WS Prep is not a charter school. It is a county wide magnet. There are other 1A schools in Forsyth County which has a form of open enrollment. The right coach can easily exploit this system.

Reactions: 28772
I would put Charter Schools in with the private schools. Thier basically private schools pay for with public tax money. They don't have state restrictions as do public schools. They are self governed by a private board instead of the elected board members that public schools have. If there were enough I would say have thier own league but I don't believe they do, so far as similarities in how thier sports programs are governed they have more in common with the private schools.

No. Only a few charters have football. My idea is not a charter school playoff in non football sports but a "traditional" / "non traditional" split. The NCHSAA Board of Directors would need to define the definition and exceptions for a "traditional" school. The main component is schools that only allow students that live in the geographical district to play sports. One of the main items facing 1A schools are magnets in urban areas. WS Prep is not a charter school. It is a county wide magnet. There are other 1A schools in Forsyth County which has a form of open enrollment. The right coach can easily exploit this system.
Btango, WSP is the only 1A public HS in the WSFCS. I am not defending them, but no one is going there to play football. Once the current basketball coach leaves, no one will be going there for basketball either. I also think WSFCS has no plans to close it, even though other posters have said it could be closing or consolidated.

Reactions: Champ_24
I would put Charter Schools in with the private schools. Thier basically private schools pay for with public tax money. They don't have state restrictions as do public schools. They are self governed by a private board instead of the elected board members that public schools have. If there were enough I would say have thier own league but I don't believe they do, so far as similarities in how thier sports programs are governed they have more in common with the private schools.
That will not happen in the foreseeable future. Wishful thinking as they are the “baby” for too many politicians and special interest grouos. The most realistic option is they separate them fir the playoffs in non football sports. My concern is that there will be more approved in remote areas.

Until people quit supporting politicians that push charter schools because they're getting kickbacks, this is an endless discussion, and in reality if you voted for said politicians then you really can't complain.

Reactions: mbdfan
Most MA and ES fans would love to see this happen, but I just can't see it. I don't think the MVC 1A's want to leave the split conference (it probably would have to be dictated by the state in order to happen). The greatest fear for MA and ES fans, which is the most likely to happen, is a NW1A that includes MA & ES + Millenium Charter, N.Stokes, S.Stokes, WS Prep, Carver, & Bishop. The competition and gates in most sports would be abysmal. If this were the case, I'd almost rather ES & MA join the WPAC split conference. At least E.Wilkes, Elkin, Starmount, etc would bring decent gates for revenue purposes. That situation would suck for South Stokes and North Stokes, but with their geographic proximity to Winston Salem I foresee them being stuck with Prep, Carver, Bishop, NC Leadership Academy, maybe even Cornerstone Charter, from this point forward.

Does MCA have a football team? I thought they only offer a few sports.

Btango, WSP is the only 1A public HS in the WSFCS. I am not defending them, but no one is going there to play football. Once the current basketball coach leaves, no one will be going there for basketball either. I also think WSFCS has no plans to close it, even though other posters have said it could be closing or consolidated.

Correct. Atkins and Walkerstown I think we’re both 1A before this alignment and it appears Carver is headed there.

Gooch at WS Prep is a gatherer, no doubt. What happens when he leaves depends on who replaces him. Would not be surprised to see an AAU coach come in.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
If the NCHSAA's hands are tied to treat charter schools differently in and of themselves, How about something like 5 classifications? But instead of going to 1A-5A straight up, go to 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A, and a new separate 1A Non-Football classification....(which could also include non-charter small schools with no football).......Of course you could still have split conferences among the 1A & 1A Non-Football teams....that way the current 1A charters can be in a conference with their neighboring traditional, true 1A schools, so everybody can fill up their schedules, BUT THE CHARTERS WOULD NOT BE IN THE 1A (OR 2A) PLAYOFFS, IN ANY SPORT....at the rate we are going, it won't take many more realignment cycles before there will be 75-100 small schools without football (charter or otherwise) (more than enough for them to have their own class for the playoffs) and wouldn't need so many split conferences with other 1A or 2A schools

I think the NCHSAA needs to think outside the box as once the charter school issue is dealt with there will be limited options to deal with other 1A items. The reason I have pushed the "traditional" "non traditional" scenario is because I think we are going to see more "traditional" schools becoming more "non traditional."

Many think several of the top ten ranked 1A teams are not very limited by their set district boundary. Also, the magnet school scenario and the 1A Parochial. By doing determining a true "non traditional" would not be a charter only bracket. Once that is in place it would make it more reasonable to go to a charter only concept in 2025 or 2029.

Does MCA have a football team? I thought they only offer a few sports.

MCA offers every sport except football. They will get drilled in every sport when they enter the NW1A. They played North Stokes last season who was dead last in the NW1A, and MCA lost by 40 to them.

the NCHSAA has 6 sports listed for the Fall season...charters or non traditional have already won 5 of them

the NCHSAA has 6 sports listed for the Fall season...charters or non traditional have already won 5 of them

Easy to do when you get elite talent from metropolitan areas where parents can afford to spend thousands of dollars on top quality trainers and travel teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT