ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA 2021-2025 Realignment = 25% 25% 25% 25%

I'd say sub divide. Do we think they want to miss out on that money? I could see 1A and 1AA cut short a round or 24 teams instead of 32 in each bracket.

I think you're right actually.

I think 1A will stick with 4 or the 24 teams as they have been doing. There are going to ne plenty of non football schools in 1A.

Do we know that subdividing playoffs is still the plan? Have been told the idea is go six rounds.
I would consider that to be ludicrous but you tend to have good sources. I can't imagine a slog through six rounds of playoffs, that would get brutal.

So from my a quick look at this morning, the ISPs and Wachovia Cup standings seem to bump these charters into 2A (that wouldnt already be in 2A based on ADM): Franklin Academy, CSOD, MICS, Raleigh Charter, Research Triangle. Pine Lake Prep and Uhwarrie are close but probably would have been 2A anyways. The 1A/2A line is moving further and further down because of the amount of random charters popping up on every street corner.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Do we know that subdividing playoffs is still the plan? Have been told the idea is go six rounds.
If that's the case, they will need to eliminate 1 regular season game and start the playoffs a week sooner. The FB season already leaks over pretty deeply into the basketball/wrestling seasons, which has a pretty strong impact on 1A and 2A schools (currently FB championships usually happen around Dec.13-14ish in normal years). Can't imagine too many basketball/wrestling coaches in 1A/2A would be happy adding a round of FB playoffs and pushing FB championships back to Dec.20ish. Also can't imagine FB coaches would be happy losing the subdivision, especially with this new model incorporating ISP and previous WF standings.

Lots of questions with this new model going forward. IF you subdivide for FB playoffs, will it be on ADMs only or will the ISP/WF ratings be incorporated? What about mid-cycle appeals for schools to move up/down? Let's say a borderline 1A/2A school or 2A/3A school get's bumped up a classification based on previous success, but two or more of the following happen during their 1st 2 years: their ADMs consistently go down, their ISP goes up significantly, they obviously struggle and are significantly lower in WF cup standings - will the state allow for appeals (as they have done in previous mid-cycles) for schools to be more accurately placed regarding classification?

Reactions: mbdfan
So from my a quick look at this morning, the ISPs and Wachovia Cup standings seem to bump these charters into 2A (that wouldnt already be in 2A based on ADM): Franklin Academy, CSOD, MICS, Raleigh Charter, Research Triangle. Pine Lake Prep and Uhwarrie are close but probably would have been 2A anyways. The 1A/2A line is moving further and further down because of the amount of random charters popping up on every street corner.

Also projects to send Lincoln Charter and Voyager 2A, which won't impact football but will have a huge impact on other 1A sports.

The other interesting thing is how many mountain schools this looks to bump up. There could be a 4A conference of mostly WNC schools for the first time in years (Asheville, Reynolds, Roberson, McDowell, Watauga, South Caldwell?, Alexander Central?). All the 2A schools in the 7 westernmost counties projected to bump to 3A, as well. So does the new Cherokee County school then go into purely 2A a league with the farthest west 2A schools (Brevard/Hendo/Polk/Mountain Heritage/Madison) even though everyone is 2 1/2 hours away? Do they end up in a 2A/3A split with Franklin, Smoky, and some Asheville schools?

Last edited:
Why don't Que just pick one of the charters and bestow a state ship on them, that is in effect what they are doing. Moving them up to 2A and moving all the good 2A football programs back to 1A to clear the field for them is what this looks like.

Murphy' best option would be to close a couple schools, and move to 2A.
lol, your best option would be to stick to Robbinsville athletics.

Newsflash if what Btango has heard is true (and his sources are as good as anybody on here) and there is in fact no subdividing next realignment then it wont just be Murphy whose title aspirations are largely thwarted.

Nobody in the SMC will even be in the conversation for another state title in football without a once or twice a decade type of team comes through at Robbinsville/Swain and 2 maybe 3 times a decade type of team at Murphy. The other SMC schools would be in a once in a lifetime territory. The days of near yearly contention for Robbinsville and Murphy would/will be over.

Last edited:
Btango does know alot but having 6 playoff games this year isnt going happen.
If that is what he's saying?

So as far as 1A is concerned what do you guys think that Conferences will look like. I don't think SMC will change. But this affects the future makeup of the Northwest Conference and Maybe the Mountain Valley conference. what do y'all think this will look like based on the projections? Also the Yadkin Valley could change also.

I wouldn't be shocked to see MVAC stay as is and the NWC become a 1A/2A split.

NWC
Mount Airy
Surry Central
East Surry
North Surry
Forbush
West Stokes
North Stokes
South Stokes

That would be a great conference in all sports.

I think travel will be a huge emphasis knowing the recovery ahead from Covid.

Reactions: realjoejr
I wouldn't be shocked to see MVAC stay as is and the NWC become a 1A/2A split.

NWC
Mount Airy
Surry Central
East Surry
North Surry
Forbush
West Stokes
North Stokes
South Stokes

That would be a great conference in all sports.

I think travel will be a huge emphasis knowing the recovery ahead from Covid.
So you don't think there is a chance the NWC will stay 1A? If there is a chance they do what do you think it will look like?

Mount Airy
Bishop
Prep
North Stokes
South Stokes
Surry Central

Bishop and Prep should be in a 1A/2A split as well. Could be easily done with the Forsyth 2A schools..

Would like to see a 2a conference consisting of:

N Wilkes
W Wilkes
Wilkes Central
West Stokes
Easy Surry
Forbush
Ashe
N Surry

will never happen but would be an interesting and competitive 2a conference the area deserves.

I like that with:

Elkin
East Wilkes
Alleghany
Mount Airy
Starmount
North Stokes
South Stokes
Surry Central

As a 1A

But I really think they'll consider geography and travel more than they have before.

Don’t blame Que, Reidsville moving to 1A is on the hands of the school board. And real estate agents. And false perceptions. And needing to pay for that pool. And....

Reactions: Ooooner
Don’t blame Que, Reidsville moving to 1A is on the hands of the school board. And real estate agents. And false perceptions. And needing to pay for that pool. And....
And that free and reduced lunch calculation. Reidsville is the epitome of the fallacy of that.

Mount Airy
Bishop
Prep
North Stokes
South Stokes
Surry Central

Bishop and Prep should be in a 1A/2A split as well. Could be easily done with the Forsyth 2A schools..
Don’t forget that Millenium Charter is now in the NCHSAA and will be in whatever conference Mt.Airy is in. Also, if you have Prep and Bishop in the NW1A, you also have Carver. There’s also NC Leadership Academy. Then there’s Reidsville.

There’s so many different scenarios that could play out. The NCHSAA could do lots of 1A/2A splits based on Geograhy...they could look to keep as many conferences the same classification (as much as possible). It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Don’t forget that Millenium Charter is now in the NCHSAA and will be in whatever conference Mt.Airy is in. Also, if you have Prep and Bishop in the NW1A, you also have Carver. There’s also NC Leadership Academy. Then there’s Reidsville.

There’s so many different scenarios that could play out. The NCHSAA could do lots of 1A/2A splits based on Geograhy...they could look to keep as many conferences the same classification (as much as possible). It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Forgot about Millennium. I haven't looked in detail so missed a few schools. I think we'll see more splits now than before.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Prep
Bishop
Carver
NCLA
Reidsville
Cornerstone
South Stokes
North Stokes

Elkin
East Wilkes
Alleghany
Starmount
Surry Central
Mount Airy
Millennium

Throw them with that conference with Reidsville then. A 9 team league wouldn't be an issue since not all those schools play football.

Prep
Bishop
Carver
NCLA
Reidsville
Cornerstone
South Stokes
North Stokes

Elkin
East Wilkes
Alleghany
Starmount
Surry Central
Mount Airy
Millennium
Reidsville would not lose a conference game 2021 - 2024 and would score 50 to 60 points per game and may get 2 TDs scored on their 3rd string each year.

Last edited:
Reactions: realjoejr
No way this is voted in by the board without subdividing..was the purpose of this realignment not to level the playing field? Putting charters where they need to be. So now some are thinking we will have schools with 300 kids competing with schools with 700 kids for State Championships? I may be wrong but I don't think so. Its all about the money to the NCHSAA..putting unevenly matched teams against each other will destroy the fan base thus destroying ticket sales..not subdividing will also cut the number of playoff games in half..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT