ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA 2021-2025 Realignment = 25% 25% 25% 25%

Someone somewhere at the breakdown of which schools this would include based off last years ADMs, anyone know who or where?

Go Mountaineers

Just asking, did you guys actually read article or just read the headline. This also determines class. Straight from HSOT

“The ADMs will only account for 50 percent of the realignment score.
An average of the previous three years of the Identified Student Percentage numbers, which indicate how many students at a school receive government assistance based on USDA standards, will account for 25 percent of the realignment score. Finally, the average of the previous three years of Wells Fargo Cup points will account for the other 25 percent.”

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Wasn’t saying it would go straight by last years, just trying to get some close ideas. Thanks antique, I should have thought of that, but I didn’t so Thanks.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Mhsneer
Just asking, did you guys actually read article or just read the headline. This also determines class. Straight from HSOT

“The ADMs will only account for 50 percent of the realignment score.
An average of the previous three years of the Identified Student Percentage numbers, which indicate how many students at a school receive government assistance based on USDA standards, will account for 25 percent of the realignment score. Finally, the average of the previous three years of Wells Fargo Cup points will account for the other 25 percent.”

also interesting that they will divide East and west 25% each separately.

Ok ok “WARNING BIG OL CAN OF WORMS COULD BE OPENED“. Not trying to do that just asking those that follow these thing closer than I do.
Could the Wells Fargo 25% change the landing spot of any Charters?

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: BK13T-$ and Mhsneer
That East West map will be a major change as well. Wncbowhunter, I definitely think the WF factor will change some charter classification.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Check out 4A board and get one person’s take on the same subject. Then come back here and let’s discuss his thoughts.

Little quick glance at WF standing for last 3 years, outside of charters, looks like Murphy, E Surry and Polk will have a high scores. (Just looked at 1a). Would probably at a minimum move Murphy to 1aa and potentially Polk and ES to 2a. Depending on the other factors. But, I of all people don’t need to speculate on this. Cause I have no idea how this will shake out.

Crazy to think how this will play out. While I am sure there will be MANY complaints about the end result, at least they are swinging for the fence with a different mode. The East West line is interesting. This could be a great thing in early playoff rounds. Help with some of those cross state trips. But will I am sure bust up some conference rivals.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Our high school has such a large free and reduced lunch population that all students receive that benefit. I don’t believe parental applications have been used in several years. So how does that fit into the equation?
For the life of me, I fail to see how that factor is remotely relevant to a fair method of alignment....even if we benefit from it.

Our high school has such a large free and reduced lunch population that all students receive that benefit. I don’t believe parental applications have been used in several years. So how does that fit into the equation?
For the life of me, I fail to see how that factor is remotely relevant to a fair method of alignment....even if we benefit from it.

I think they are figuring the more free and reduced lunches the more barriers to success on the field/court. Kids having to work, choose between sports and money... wealthier schools have more access to equipment, wealthier kids have more access to personal trainers, etc...

The east west line will put South Davidson, South Stanly, North Stanly, Albemarle, and North Rowan in the west.

With North Moore, Chatham, and Uwharrie being in the east they will no longer be in the same conference as those previously mentioned.

If football season does take place this spring and there is a playoff what are they going to go by if they don't use ADMs for 2020 or 2021 or did I miss something ?

The problem with charter schools at the 1A level is that they aren’t busting in enrollment so 50% of the equation doesn’t really matter for them.

East Surry and Polk County will be 2A now.

I think they are figuring the more free and reduced lunches the more barriers to success on the field/court. Kids having to work, choose between sports and money... wealthier schools have more access to equipment, wealthier kids have more access to personal trainers, etc...
I get that, dplubo. And, in some sports, that access may increase an individual’s chance of success. I just don‘t think it holds true in the two revenue sports. Other than charters in 1A in basketball, I’d almost argue that history shows the opposite to be true.
Is this a pushback again schools like Catholic and East Lincoln and charters? Or do most of the association folks really believe there’s a correlation? It’s been hard enough for the NCHSAA to get realignment right without injecting more factors into the equation.
As to how it would affect my school, Thomasville, it seems to almost guarantee that we’ll be 1A. We might be anyway. But being 1A will probably increase travel and destroy us financially. We might keep Lexington as a natural rival, but that’s about all. That seems to be the opposite of what they’re trying to accomplish.

Reactions: dplubo
I get that, dplubo. And, in some sports, that access may increase an individual’s chance of success. I just don‘t think it holds true in the two revenue sports. Other than charters in 1A in basketball, I’d almost argue that history shows the opposite to be true.
Is this a pushback again schools like Catholic and East Lincoln and charters? Or do most of the association folks really believe there’s a correlation? It’s been hard enough for the NCHSAA to get realignment right without injecting more factors into the equation.
As to how it would affect my school, Thomasville, it seems to almost guarantee that we’ll be 1A. We might be anyway. But being 1A will probably increase travel and destroy us financially. We might keep Lexington as a natural rival, but that’s about all. That seems to be the opposite of what they’re trying to accomplish.

I can’t say I agree or disagree with the new process... I was just trying to point out the train of thought that was used. I guess this is meant to try and even the playing field, like so many people complained about.

Personally I think it will be bad for Lincoln county, we could possible have 3a north Lincoln and 1a Lincolnton and lose a pretty good conference travel wise and money wise. Like politics, everyone is not going to be happy but I applaud the nchsaa for at least not ignoring all of the chatter.

also interesting that they will divide East and west 25% each separately.
I actually like this aspect of it - have a legit, predetermined "East/West" line. It was crazy having a team like South Stokes in the East last year, and in previous years having a team like Whiteville in the West. Of course, there will be some schools affected by this. Traditionally there have been more 1A schools further east, more 2A schools in the west. Just look at the 2AA State Championship game from last year - you had Shelby v. Salisbury. Salisbury is in Rowan County but represented the East...they are clearly in the west geographically. To me the bigger factors are the ISP and Cup/Success factors being included. Totally understand using the ISP as a factor...kind of sucks for the successful teams to have the Cup/Success factors included (almost like you're punished for being too good). Just my opinion though.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Robbinsville doesn't have some sports so we should be fine.
Tarboro may be small A this year.

Everything clicked on high school football on simmonsratings say: Coming in February 2021
I wish Chris could get his URL that has ADMs going back around 10 years or so fixed.

It's still nice to go back and look at the Stadium Project with I think all the stadiums across North Carolina especially if your team is going to play a team you have never played, you can check out the stadium and most has a lot of pictures around the school's stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
With North Moore, Chatham, and Uwharrie being in the east they will no longer be in the same conference as those previously mentioned.
Randolph is in the West according to the breakdown. UWC could be moved up based on the Cup standings and ISP.

N Moore and C Central get hosed as they have no 1A schools anywhere near them to play in conference. How will the state handle that?

This model is designed to promote equity among schools for "all" sports. I have seen some prelim data and there are schools way over 90% ISP currently in leagues with a schools with less than 5% ISP. That socioeconomic difference clearly gives the low ISP schools an advantage in non revenue sports like softball, baseball, tennis, soccer and volleyball. This is not a one off either, it is pretty common in lots of the current leagues. Charters could be impacted depending on where they are located. Some of the inner city charters and very rural charters may still have a relatively high ISP score.

I saw one school that was almost 100% ISP in a league with a school that was 1% ISP. Amazingly, the school with 1% ISP has multiple conference, regional and state titles in different sports. The high ISP school has not won a state title in many years in anything and is really bad in non-revenue sports. They compete in football, basketball, wrestling and track but in nothing else.

Thomasville looks to be going into a 1A league, might be back in the Yadkin Valley with Albemarle, N Rowan, N Stanly, S Stanly, S Davidson and others. Trinity and E Randolph have almost an identical ADM as THS so they could end up in that league also. That could be a damn good 1A football league with Thomasville, N Rowan, Albemarle, N & S Stanly and ER.

The ISP score will isolate some city and very rural small schools making it harder than it appears to match them up in leagues close by to limit travel expenses, local rivalries and promote equity among schools.

Thoughts?

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
This model is designed to promote equity among schools for "all" sports. I have seen some prelim data and there are schools way over 90% ISP currently in leagues with a schools with less than 5% ISP. That socioeconomic difference clearly gives the low ISP schools an advantage in non revenue sports like softball, baseball, tennis, soccer and volleyball. This is not a one off either, it is pretty common in lots of the current leagues. Charters could be impacted depending on where they are located. Some of the inner city charters and very rural charters may still have a relatively high ISP score.

I saw one school that was almost 100% ISP in a league with a school that was 1% ISP. Amazingly, the school with 1% ISP has multiple conference, regional and state titles in different sports. The high ISP school has not won a state title in many years in anything and is really bad in non-revenue sports. They compete in football, basketball, wrestling and track but in nothing else.

Thomasville looks to be going into a 1A league, might be back in the Yadkin Valley with Albemarle, N Rowan, N Stanly, S Stanly, S Davidson and others. Trinity and E Randolph have almost an identical ADM as THS so they could end up in that league also. That could be a damn good 1A football league with Thomasville, N Rowan, Albemarle, N & S Stanly and ER.

The ISP score will isolate some city and very rural small schools making it harder than it appears to match them up in leagues close by to limit travel expenses, local rivalries and promote equity among schools.

Thoughts?
Where are the “gates” in that equation for Thomasville, WOW? North Rowan maybe. Albemarle for a year or two. ER possibly but there hasn’t been a rivalry since 1983. I’ve seen this movie. Long trips with very few fans. Some success in some sports. But for sustained success over the athletic program, it’s really tough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT