ADVERTISEMENT

Reclassification in SC and NC

taughtatshs

Mar 5, 2009
Some of you may find this online article interesting:

SCHSL announces realignment after passing proposal to balance competition

The South Carolina High School League (SCHSL) announced their reclassification and realignment plans after they passed a proposal last month to try and balance the competition.
www.foxcarolina.com

SC has done a “3-student count” for charter school students outside of a school’s geographic region in an attempt to balance the “recruiting or not recruiting” issue which may put some charter schools in a higher classification in South Carolina.

The controversy at Gray Collegiate Academy (Columbia) area was such that 6 conference schools forfeited games with them.

Some of you may find this online article interesting:

SCHSL announces realignment after passing proposal to balance competition

The South Carolina High School League (SCHSL) announced their reclassification and realignment plans after they passed a proposal last month to try and balance the competition.
www.foxcarolina.com

SC has done a “3-student count” for charter school students outside of a school’s geographic region in an attempt to balance the “recruiting or not recruiting” issue which may put some charter schools in a higher classification in South Carolina.

The controversy at Gray Collegiate Academy (Columbia) area was such that 6 conference schools forfeited games with them.
SCHSL could have helped the situation years ago and allowed the charters that wanted to move up more than 1 classification. If they wanted to compete against bigger schools, why not let them?

Interesting. I agree with this. I wish the same could be done for public schools recruiting and doing the same things some of these privates are doing. I think they should be held to the same standard.
Though it would be hard to logistically track down....any same state player that re-classes for obvious sports reasons could be included too.

They're gonna have to crack down on this sometime. Every level from college down to Pop Warner is in the midst of being ruined.

Interesting. I agree with this. I wish the same could be done for public schools recruiting and doing the same things some of these privates are doing. I think they should be held to the same standard.
Though it would be hard to logistically track down....any same state player that re-classes for obvious sports reasons could be included too.
In the NCHSAA (and I think across public high school associations) when a student starts day one of freshman year they are not allowed more than eight consecutive semesters of athletic eligibility. I would not recommend any type of review prior to freshman year other than the age requirement. If a family starts a student in first grade as early as possible but realizes they are being hampered by graduating at 16 (Brad Daugherty) or 17 I understand the reasoning.

In Charlotte the Big 4 privates do not allow reclassification after day one freshman year (unless they have restarted that after many years of not being available).

Reactions: beamer24
Yeah I’m talking about the situation where a player goes from public to private or vice versa…even after entering 9th grade….and reclassifying. As I understand and can see from rosters those type reclasses have definitely happened.
I have never seen a 16 graduate reclass situation….only the 19 year old graduate type situation.

Yeah I’m talking about the situation where a player goes from public to private or vice versa…even after entering 9th grade….and reclassifying. As I understand and can see from rosters those type reclasses have definitely happened.
I have never seen a 16 graduate reclass situation….only the 19 year old graduate type situation.
Provide more info on the circumstances. You do not have to name the player. What schools had they attended and what school were they playing at when they were in their fifth year of high school (grades 9-12)?

In the NCHSAA (including the Parochial member schools) the clock starts on a student / athlete day one freshman year. Regardless of where the student started their freshman year that is the starting point. At that point they have eight consecutive semesters to play sports. Transcripts are required upon entering a new school so that should be listed.

Mallard Creek was undefeated in 2008 (second year school opened) going into the next to last game of the season. One of their top players had went to their prior opponent's school as a freshman. Moved to Maryland and redid the ninth grade. After the game the opponent brought it to the attention of Mallard Creek. The proper documentation was in the file and the transcripts showed the change. It was missed by someone. MC forfeited their wins.

In high school public school sports, you only get 8 semesters of eligibility to play high school sports once you enter the 9th grade. That is anywhere in the country. Most people misunderstand reclassification. If you reclassify BEFORE 9th grade, the clock doesn’t start on high school eligibility until you begin 9th grade.
If you reclassify AFTER you have already entered the 9th grade in public school this will involve transferring to a private school. You can reclassify at many private schools but if you begin the 9th grade in public school and transferred to a private to reclassify, the clock it still ticking on your original 8 public high school semesters of eligibility. Parents have to be very careful and completely understand all the eligibility requirements of reclassifying.

Last edited:
Reactions: btango and beamer24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT