ADVERTISEMENT

Week 9 Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
East Surry at Forbush

The Cards are going to be rusty after an extended layoff as they couldn’t face Wilkes Central due to Covid and Forbush has a ton of ?’s to answer after they humiliated theirselves vs Surry Central last Friday. Still don’t understand what the ‘Bush was trying to do.. They completely changed their offensive plans from what they have been doing and it wasn’t due to injuries as Matthews was healthy. Funderburke will have pressure on him going forward because that definitely wasn’t a game they were destined to lose. However despite missing some pieces East is still pretty good. Boaz is a tank and unless Forbush’s line dominates East’s I see them having a hard time. Forbush rarely beat East back in the old times and I don’t see it continuing.

North Wilkes at Surry Central

Those Golden Eagles be jammin’ behind the play of a strong line to make up for their lack of killer athletes. The senior class is really good for them and they play fundamentally solid ball which helped them last week as they knocked off the big Falcon bullies. This week they face a team of balance in North Wilkes who focus equally on both sides of their offense and none of their defense. If Central can get the run game going early it will be a long night for the Vikings as they struggle vs the run. Central loves to chew clock up like they did vs Elkin and the bush. Central faces teams who love to throw and has fast cats the next 2 weeks so we will see what they can handle before playoff time. Ultimately Central’s line is way more superior and Southern’s a better coach and in our area that’s all you need.

Alleghany at Elkin

Monday night proved to be a typical outing this year for the Elks as they played hard for a quarter before getting manhandled in the 2nd half. Starmount wanted that win way more than the Elks did and it showed in the 2nd half. Elkin’s now playing to find some hope for next year as they need to start preparing for it and their playoff spot as the 2nd spot in the conference is long gone. Up first is one of their best rivals of the past 10 years Alleghany who also got thudded monday by EW. Alleghany has a had a hard time finishing games out this year and like Elkin they are playing for their playoff lives. These two have had some doozies the past 10 years.. In 2011 they played for a spot and Alleghany upset them, in 2014 Elkin pulled out the upset and got lucky for the that MVAC tittle split with Ashe and Starmount, and Alleghany knocked off that 2018 team who was supposed to be so much better. These two have turned a lopsided rivalry into a very close one and I expect it to stay the same. This one can go either way but Alleghany has way more incentive here. Can they pull it out like they need to do?

South Stokes at Starmount

The Rams finally put a killer, consistent performance together on Monday as they knocked Elkin off for that trophy. However their turnaround time was swift as they had to prep for South tonight really fast. This will be the game for 2nd place in the NW as both teams have the best shot of getting it but face their demons they got to overcome. Starmount’s the past 2 years and this year has been being consistent while South is proving people wrong and getting breaks. Honestly I could see this one going either way.. Starmount has yet to put consistent back to back week performances up and are after the short turnaround. South meanwhile did what they weren’t supposed to be and are battling with success; can their heads handle it, or will the Rams do enough to win. Dezern vs Carrick will be one of the best RB battles of the year. Would love to see Dave win this but I think Starmount’s a little better; but again who knows this year.

West Stokes at Reidsville

West has had a much better year than most expected.. A lot of it is due to having really good fortune/timing but their last two wins have came a lot from Johnson outcoaching the HC’s at Morehead and Andrews. He deserves to be commended for that. This week however they face the big saw in Reidsville who has always had West’s number and always punched them around. It’s gonna take a well planned game and that opportunism to keep the Wildcats in it as it’s Reidsville's homecoming. A good showing for West will be a lot like when NF played them and scoring at least twice. West and NF play next week in what could be a nailbiter.

Wilkes Central at West Wilkes

It’s been a season to forget for both these squads as covid and youth has hit them both really hard. WC is still down from Covid and it showed Monday, but it’s football and you have to play with what you got and NW being more experienced than what WC had helped them out in spades. West meanwhile got thudded in Toast vs North Surry, and lost their QB for the year after he had a heck of a dive on a tackle and broke his collarbone. Both of these teams are reeling as the Blackhawks host their senior night tonight. However WC despite their issues is the much better team of these two squads. They have better speed and ultimately that is enough here. If West’s line shows up there may be a closer than expected game here.

Ashe Co at Freedom

Ashe’s game with Hibriten was more of what people expected last week however it wasn’t no pure landslide either Hibriten had to earn it. Ashe is surprising people with the amount of fight they have and their QB is rising to the occasion for them. I expect unless Ashe just has a rough night on defense another hard fight here as Freedom is very down from their usual selves and Ashe used that to their advantage vs Alexander Central 2 weeks back. Ashe did win on JV last night so there is potential here in the future for a fun conference series.

McMichael at Walkertown

The Pack return home for homecoming for a streaky McMichael team who’s having their best run in 13 year since they were last a 2A under then HC Gary Whitman. Their new HC McCants is doing an excellent job and the Phoenix need to keep him for sure. The Pack very much cannot afford to overlook this team or else it may bite them. They aren’t nowhere as dominating as they have been under McKoy. Their game vs NF last week was quite blah and mediocre to sit through and they can’t afford to sleepwalk here or else it will bite them in the butt hard. Right now they have 2nd but they can’t rest on it by any stretch. I think WT has a few more playmakers which will make the difference but again it should be a lot more closer.

Carver at PL Prep

Carver has had 2 weeks to heal and reflect after losing to CSD 2 weeks back. However they will be more rested and ready to play as they head to Iredell county to play Pine Lake Prep who’s coming off a shutout vs Bishop. I expect this game to be surprisingly close.. PLP isn’t the team they were in the spring as they are more ball control/option focused but they still have a lot of talent. Carver however is on an upswing and will have the athlete edge. This very well could be a game for 2nd place in the Catwaba Shores conference (cringe at that name.) It will come down to the line and if PLP can contain Blackburn and I don’t think they have the cats for that.

Bishop at MI Charter

Bishop’s hard season continues as they head to Gaston county to be MIC’s homecoming foe. These two have already played on JV twice with 2 close losses for the VIllains (their JV team looks quite decent actually considering, might be a fun run for them ahead,) but Varsity wise I expect MIC to roll. They are too explosive for Bishop to handle as they have a hard time with the pass.

WS Prep at Christ The King

If there is anytime for Prep to beat the losing streak it’s now against one of the state’s most inept programs. However that is easier said than done given their offensive woes this year.. They got to keep, move and score with the ball or else CTK will stay around. Upset potential is here for sure.

I missed East Wilkes/North Stokes as I litterally had no clue they moved their game.. I don't think anyone much did lol.

43-17 overall due to those upsets last week. Forbush and HP Andrews let it all slip too much. Hope for a comeback this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT