ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA 2021-2025 Realignment = 25% 25% 25% 25%

Ok ok “WARNING BIG OL CAN OF WORMS COULD BE OPENED“. Not trying to do that just asking those that follow these thing closer than I do.
Could the Wells Fargo 25% change the landing spot of any Charters?

Go Mountaineers

This is a major reason why they are using this model. No one will officially say it but it is. Both multipliers will ultimately “hurt” the successful charter schools and more than likely bump them from 1a.

This is a major reason why they are using this model. No one will officially say it but it is. Both multipliers will ultimately “hurt” the successful charter schools and more than likely bump them from 1a.
“Winner winner chicken dinner”

Reactions: BK13T-$
From High School OT
WHY NOT USE ADM NUMBERS ONLY?​

This question came up a few times on Twitter this week. Why is the NCHSAA not just realigning based on student enrollment numbers as it has done in years past?

Well, first, I think it's important to note that the ADM numbers still play the largest role of any factor in determining realignment. The other factors will likely only change things at the margins for most schools.

The State Cup points allow the NCHSAA to take into account the success of a full athletic program (or the lack of success). The higher a school's State Cup point total, the higher the school's realignment score will be (and thus the higher they will fall in the classifications).

The Identified Student Population (ISP) number will allow the NCHSAA to take into account a school's access to financial resources. ISP numbers identify the population in a school that receives government assistance based on USDA guidelines, such as free & reduced lunch. It's a fact that schools with access to more resources typically perform better as a whole in sports. So schools with lower ISP averages will have higher realignment scores, while schools with higher ISP averages will have lower realignment scores.

As for the regions... I think this is a great move, to predetermine regions for schools. First, it helps balance things in terms of numbers. But mostly, it will prevent borderline schools from playing the guessing game every single time playoff brackets come out, and it will prevent some wild early round travel. For example, Columbus County teams regularly have to make trips to the mountains in the first round or two of the playoffs. That will not be possible in this new system, and that is a good thing.
WHAT'S NEXT FOR REALIGNMENT?​
We have the details for how realignment will work, but what we're missing is the draft proposal that will lay out the proposed conferences and classification splits. We will be getting those in about three weeks. Here's the timeline for the process:
  • Dec. 10: First draft of the realignment proposal is released
  • Jan. 8: Deadline for schools to submit proposed changes to the initial draft
  • Jan. 14: Second draft released
  • Jan. 21: Deadline for schools to appeal second draft proposal
  • Feb. 4: Third draft released
  • Feb. 10: If necessary, deadline for final appeals to be made
  • Feb. 17: Final proposal submitted to NCHSAA Board of Directors
  • March (Day TBD): NCHSAA Board of Directors votes to approve realignment plan
  • Aug. 1: New alignment goes into effect

Everything clicked on high school football on simmonsratings say: Coming in February 2021
If you go to his site, click on nc high school ratings, then 2020 power ratings, the 2019 adm numbers are at the top of that listing. Remember though that this is football playing schools only. The complete list for 2019 is on the NCHSAA site but it is in alphabetical order not school size order.

Ok.
Comrade Cooper now saying only 10 indoors but nchsaa is allowing 25. Is that correct? If so maybe more than 100 will be allowed at fb games.
Either way Im watching

I'm not looking forward to the same tired rhetoric about Murphy not being a serious title threat in 1AA when this happens. Dogs should be really good this spring and next fall but after that will almost assuredly be taking a step back for a few years. 2022 will probably end up being solid but not a title contender due to a lack of high level skills. 2023 in particular is probably going to be the least talented team Murphy has fielded in a long time, things can change but that is my gut feeling right now.

So yes, just wait, in a couple of years there are going to be imbeciles that will claim Murphy aren't capable of being top tier in 1AA when in reality they will be going through a down period talent wise, same as they were for a large chunk ('03 thru '07, minus one year) of their time in 1AA last go round.

Last edited:
I'm not looking forward to the same tired rhetoric about Murphy not being a serious title threat in 1AA when this happens. Dogs should be really good this spring and next fall but after that will almost assuredly be taking a step back for a few years. 2022 will probably end up being solid but not a title contender due to a lack of high level skills. 2023 in particular is probably going to be the least talented team Murphy has fielded in a long time, things can change but that is my gut feeling right now.

So yes, just wait, in a couple of years there are going to be imbeciles that will claim Murphy aren't capable of being top tier in 1AA when in reality they will be going through a down period talent wise, same as they were for a large chunk ('03 thru '07, minus one year) of their time in 1AA last go round.
Mbdfan,
Will off the field situations keep the dogs from being all they can be this spring.? Are ramifications not coming?

Mbdfan,
Will off the field situations keep the dogs from being all they can be this spring.? Are ramifications not coming?
It will definitely limit their ceiling for sure and very well could end up being the difference between Murphy and Robbinsville at the top. I still think Murphy can be very good but they will be thin in a lot of places.

I think they would have been great with everyone but that wasn't going to happen regardless of what shakes out legally with the others, because they have already lost a kid who would have definitely been one of their best lineman to transfer for wrestling and in addition to that the starting tight end last year (who may have started on D this season too) isnt playing this year to focus on baseball.

Last edited:
Nick Stevens from HS OT is working on projections for new classifications. He should have it released in the next few days. So far he seems to think that 50% combined ISP and Wells Fargo standings will push many charters to 2A.

I don't agree with ISP having anything to do with classification determination. Sure it pushes up some charters that dominate country club sports but they will in essence be replaced by city school districts that will dominate football and basketball.

1A/1AA should ultimately largely consist of rural or semi rural towns/counties, not city charters or city publics.

I don't have a problem with Wells Fargo standings being used, it's a pretty good marker, even though it's ultimately detrimental for the school I support because they have a strong overall athletic program.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I don't agree with ISP having anything to do with classification determination. Sure it pushes up some charters that dominate country club sports but they will in essence be replaced by city school districts that will dominate football and basketball.

1A/1AA should ultimately largely consist of rural or semi rural towns/counties, not city charters or city publics.

I don't have a problem with Wells Fargo standings being used, it's a pretty good marker, even though it's ultimately detrimental for the school I support because they have a strong overall athletic program.

I appreciate that they’re making an effort to get away from using only ADM, which 1A fans have asked for for probably a decade now. But I agree that basketball and football will probably be dominated by schools that are 2A now. It will basically be like the early/mid 2000s at the top (when Thomasville, Cummings, Hendersonville, Goldsboro, Monroe etc were all 1A before smaller charters came in and pushed the line down ), but I guess it’s pick your poison for a small rural school, unless you want to get away from equal numbers of schools among the classifications. Can you imagine if this puts Kinston basketball in 1A?

Last edited:
Think about the money this could generate for some 1A schools though come playoff time. Esp in basketball. Those charters don't have fans aside from parents and boosters.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Robbinsville/Tarboro 1a

Murphy/Reidsville 1aa

Doesn't seem right but atleast the Charters will be moved up and no titles at football.

I wonder if smaller charters like wsp and to a lesser extent Thomas Jefferson will still remain small 1a?

I dont think the isp should be used for football. The nchsaa aren't going put in the work it takes to do something different for football.

I can’t see WSP moving up, less than 300 students, all on ISP. No success in sports other than men’s basketball. Matter fact don’t field many sports.
Also, that Basketball run maybe over. Long time coach and recruiter left for a private school.

Reactions: btango
I think your right.
Thomas Jefferson could be boarder line.
They have around 350. The ISP and Cup could push them near the line.

I'll be interested to see what the ISP of TJCA is. I would say they may have quite a few lower income individuals based upon the area they serve. Bishop will be another interesting one. 380 students but will have a high ISP and Wells Fargo standings.

Reactions: btango
WSP isn't a charter anyway, it's actually a public school, a magnet. It just seems like it might be a charter because Forsyth County Schools is a joke. WSP should be shuttered, in reality it should have never been built, having a public school that size in a county as populous as Forsyth is ridiculous. One of Atkins/Walkertown should have never been built either, those kids should be going to Carver and North Forsyth and they would all be 3A where they belong.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC
Magnets like Atkins and Prep usually serve a good purpose, usually providing a means for students to follow a path into college or industry. Atkins is a really really good high school.

I'd like to see the benefits of of Prep and if it's been beneficial to the students that go there. It is the districts fault they allowed Prep to become a recruiting mecca for bball though.

If districts don't utilize magnet schools, they run the risk of losing funding when studnets that seek those programs leave for charters or privates.

WSP isn't a charter anyway, it's actually a public school, a magnet. It just seems like it might be a charter because Forsyth County Schools is a joke. WSP should be shuttered, in reality it should have never been built, having a public school that size in a county as populous as Forsyth is ridiculous. One of Atkins/Walkertown should have never been built either, those kids should be going to Carver and North Forsyth and they would all be 3A where they belong.
Probably right about shuttering WSP. But certainly not happening in today’s climate. There were reasons why Atkins was built and it was a very political reason. Now that the new Lowrance MS is built and out of Atkins building, I could see them going 3A.

Reactions: mbdfan
Magnets like Atkins and Prep usually serve a good purpose, usually providing a means for students to follow a path into college or industry. Atkins is a really really good high school.

I'd like to see the benefits of of Prep and if it's been beneficial to the students that go there. It is the districts fault they allowed Prep to become a recruiting mecca for bball though.

If districts don't utilize magnet schools, they run the risk of losing funding when studnets that seek those programs leave for charters or privates.
Perhaps Atkins has followed through on it's school mission but WSP never has, it's been a massively underperforming school from the jump and it's purpose as a school has essentially been to serve as the Gould basketball mill.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Sportsnut, what purpose does Prep exactly serve? I know Atkins but not 100% sure on Prep. I assume it's an outlet for at risk individuals.

Last edited:
Robbinsville/Tarboro 1a

Murphy/Reidsville 1aa

Doesn't seem right but atleast the Charters will be moved up and no titles at football.

I wonder if smaller charters like wsp and to a lesser extent Thomas Jefferson will still remain small 1a?
If the projections are close to being correct on HighSchool OT,Tarboro will remain 1AA

How is Hayesville lower than us.
They are usually new the top of the cup standings in our conference. Do they have more ppl on free lunch or something?

If the projections are close to being correct on HighSchool OT,Tarboro will remain 1AA

If those projections are right and Franklin, Smoky, Pisgah, Tuscola all go 3A, that could make things interestingwhen the new school opens in Murphy. Either a split conference up or down, or a lot of travel.

Reidsville, High Point Andrews, Eastern Randolph, Anson County, Thomasville, etc. dropping down to the 1AA West lmao. This will be early 00's 1AA all over again, a gauntlet.

As for the SMC it will take a 2010 Murphy, 2012 Swain, 2016 Murphy type of team (i.e. tons of talent and the ability to really sling it around in addition to a strong run game) to seriously challenge for a title against this field. My guess is no SMC school will field a team on that level this realignment cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Reidsville, High Point Andrews, Eastern Randolph, Anson County, Thomasville, etc. dropping down to the 1AA West lmao. This will be early 00's 1AA all over again, a gauntlet.

As for the SMC it will take a 2010 Murphy, 2012 Swain, 2016 Murphy type of team (i.e. tons of talent and the ability to really sling it around in addition to a strong run game) to seriously challenge for a title against this field. My guess is no SMC school will field a team on that level this realignment cycle.

An inner city school in a city the size of High Point being in 1A is egregious.

Do we know that subdividing playoffs is still the plan? Have been told the idea is go six rounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT