ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy, Hiwasse, and Andrews combining

10 titles. Nice run.
Maybe Murphy can add a couple more titles before consolidating.

It’s definitely the way the wind is blowing, but it also looks like one Board member resigned and will be replaced by an interim member (who also now will be running unopposed to keep the seat) who is very anti consolidation. So stay tuned, I guess...

It’s definitely the way the wind is blowing, but it also looks like one Board member resigned and will be replaced by an interim member (who also now will be running unopposed to keep the seat) who is very anti consolidation. So stay tuned, I guess...
I don't mean this as an insult to him but the new board member doesnt seem very informed on some of these consolidation issues. He seems to be operating on fervor and sentiment, which I understand because I was there myself for a long time.

Now that he is a member of the board I hope he will further educate himself on the logistics and financial realities our county faces. If he does that and still draws the same conclusions so be it, but as it stands he comes off uninformed on this particular topic.

Last edited:
I don't mean this as an insult to him but the new board member doesnt seem very informed on some of these consolidation issues. He seems to be operating on fervor and sentiment, which I understand because I was there myself for a long time.

Now that he is a member of the board I hope he will further educate himself on the logistics and financial realities our county faces. If he does that and still draws the same conclusions so be it, but as it stands he comes off uninformed on this particular topic.
Who resigned and who is the replacement?

The budget handcuff Phil Berger is about to attempt to put on the state might dictate whether or not consolidation takes place.

As an Andrews resident and fan myself, I'm not against consolidation by any means, only cautious. And I understand fully that the county and school board may have to make a difficult and somewhat unpopular decision. But I would certainly be interested to hear what specifically you feel Mr. Ellis is uninformed or "uneducated" about? While I may not agree completely with him on everything, I do not see being fervent and passionate as uninformed or uneducated. He just sees the pros and cons from a different perspective because of those attributes. Whether I agree with him or not, I respect that and believe dissenting voices are always necessary in these matters, if nothing else because it promotes discussion and debate.
First off I want to make it clear that I would never label someone uninformed just because they had a different perspective than me, that would be ridiculous. I agree with you that dissenting voices are important. I also agree that being sentimental and fervent about something isn't necessarily a bad thing, unless of course you were to let that emotion outweigh facts or perpuate a false narrative.

The uninformed quip from me is mainly in relation to him questioning the money and taxation involved with building a consolidated school. The quotes and the data show that building a consolidated school would in fact be exponentially cheaper for the county and the taxpayers long term than repairing and maintaining all of our current schools. So for someone that is running on a platform of keeping the community schools open he is either A) misinformed about these financial disparities or B) knows that consolidation is the more cost effective option but still chooses to perpuate a false narrative as it pertains to the relative taxation involved.

So to Mr. Ellis I would ask: is it about keeping the community schools open regardless of cost or is it about the financial burden on the county and taxpayers? He can't have it both ways on this one though, as I said earlier it's been shown that keeping all the schools open is the much bigger burden to taxpayers long term.

I'm fine with someone having the platform of keeping these community schools open if they can prove it's the best choice for our children's future but accurate information needs to be presented regardless of what platform you support.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
Pisgah may move up to 3A in 2021, they're above the cutline based on last year's numbers.
We might have to hide a few kids in the basement when it comes time for the #'s, but there's no way that Pisgah & Tuscola doesn't end up in the same conference this time around. One way or another. NCHSAA losing out on some possible big $. They won't make that mistake again.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan
First off if you listened to Superintendent at meeting last night. They estimate new Oaks Career path school will draw about 200 students with the early college about the same. That would put new high school with at it near where Murphy is now. Also there will be three separate schools on one campus with three different admin and athletic programs. As someone posted earlier success of athletic program will depend on community support and I fear consolidation will erode all existing community support. As far as naming school school colors and mascot I won’t be happy unless it is called MHS black and gold and Bulldogs but my happiness is not at play here If they have any chance at community support they should start with the first graduating class down to pre k and let each student have a vote with out any limitations current or new name mascot and colors after all we know how we old farts would like it but it’s going to be there school so let them decide
My favorite compromise is Red and Black and have two mascots like Auburn. Bulldogs and War dam eagles

Now that right there is what you call a perfect marriage boys

Sorry BK your nightmare continues

Last edited:
So they are going build a school that holds 1,000 kids but only have 500. Thats not going happen. 2a for you.

Also there will be three separate schools on one campus with three different admin and athletic programs.
3 different athletic programs? How? If that's factual it's about the stupidest thing I've heard, it will divide the talent base and make all of the athletic programs watered down. I'm going to need a source on that, because a bunch of the kids that make Murphy football what is now would be going to the CTE center. If they want a trash football program with very few lineman and hard nosed players, then by all means have three separate athletic programs.

Last edited:
3 different athletic programs? How? If that's factual it's about the stupidest thing I've heard, it will divide the talent base and make all of the athletic programs watered down. I'm going to need a source on that, because a bunch of the kids that make Murphy football what is now would be going to the career center. If they want a trash football program with very few lineman and hard nosed players, then by all means have three separate athletic programs.

Boys it’s three different high schools on one campus and yes there is a possibility of it being 1A. If you want a source watch tape of school board meeting and Superintendent Conleys comments. Heck BK you accused ya of it for years. We just thought we’d remove any doubt

Boys it’s three different high schools on one campus and yes there is a possibility of it being 1A. If you want a source watch tape of school board meeting and Superintendent Conleys comments. Heck BK you accused ya of it for years. We just thought we’d remove any doubt
Well I looked into it and I'm sorry I doubted you because that seems to be the case. IF they were to go forward with three separate athletic programs then kiss competent high school athletics in this county goodnight.

Last edited:
Well I looked into it and I'm sorry I doubted you, you're very much correct. IF they go forward with three separate athletic programs then kiss competent high school athletics in this county goodnight.
Wait for it. BK is having a meltdown right about now. Don’t think as many of those fb players will enroll in career school as athletics won’t be offered Way I understand it they can still take tri county programs even if they are in reg hs. Just won’t be as advanced as career school and they would have more work to do after graduation. Where as career path gets you work ready by graduation

Reactions: mbdfan
I still like red and black (Andrews) war eagle (HD) Bulldogs (MHS). Perfect merge with all three HSS represented. Heck I might keep announcing for another year or two to get it started if the powers that be allow it

Being somewhat of a history buff, I discovered in old issues of the Cherokee Scout that before Murphy's mascot was "Bulldogs" they were known as the Murphy "Boomers." Whether it had anything to do with an explosive nature or a rodent, I cant advise. If they create a new Mascot or not, they will dominate 2A football and keep the SMC the Football Capitol of NC. Valley River High School does have a nice ring to it if they do (probably wont) change their name.

Interesting concept with the 3 schools on the same campus. No need to call it school consolidation, just call it campus consolidation. That will stir up the competition in a hurry lol

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Being somewhat of a history buff, I discovered in old issues of the Cherokee Scout that before Murphy's mascot was "Bulldogs" they were known as the Murphy "Boomers." Whether it had anything to do with an explosive nature or a rodent, I cant advise. If they create a new Mascot or not, they will dominate 2A football and keep the SMC the Football Capitol of NC. Valley River High School does have a nice ring to it if they do (probably wont) change their name.
I admire the enthusiasm, but I don't think it's that simple. Lol. There's these two 2A schools in NC named Shelby and Reidsville that are pretty good at tossin' the ol' pigskin around and they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:
Can someone name any other situation where multiple High schools share a campus but are separate entities?
More of the same from the bulldogs.
I bet the school ends up being called Murphy also.
Nice plan Gentry. Get all the athletes in one school. All star.

3 High Schools on the same tract of land with competing athletic programs? Lol
Yea that will work
Dozens of fields,practice fields ,gyms,cafeterias,acres and acres of parking, 3 different administrative staff and teachers. Do people really believe this? And believe it will save money?
If true, Murphy athletics are doomed.

BK stop worrying...The dam wild dogs will at least be 1AA..lol
In all honesty this sux for the entire conference..Rivalries gone forever.
Murphy Swain
Robbinsville Murphy
Murphy Hayesville
Andrews Robbinsville

It will work out pretty good if we can get all the football players to attend Murphy, sounds like the deal Tarboro has going.

Just talked to someone that would definitely know, there's no possibility of three athletic programs. There will either be one consolidated athletic program with TCEC absorbed into it, or there will be a consolidated athletic program and a TCEC athletic program.

From what I've gathered from my conversation it will probably be the latter, so Cherokee County (Valley River, whatever) is probably looking at an ADM in the high 700 range, as opposed to the 900 plus with the early college kids included. Under either scenario they will be a 2A school, no chance of being 1A.

Last edited:
This might help a certain coach from recruiting kids from Hiwassee Dam now. I’m sure Hayesville is still in play.

Reactions: BK13T-$
This might help a certain coach from recruiting kids from Hiwassee Dam now. I’m sure Hayesville is still in play.
Huh? I mean if you live in Hiwassee Dam and want to play football you have two choices really, go to high school at Copper Basin or go to high school at Murphy, not much "recruiting" involved there, lol.

And who are these Hayesville kids? Last I checked the only football transfers from Hayesville that I've ever known of were kids who actually lived in Cherokee County the whole time but had family working for Clay County schools (Posey brothers, Clapsaddle brothers) or kids who had went to Cherokee County schools their whole life (Mugharbil brothers).

I mean if you really want to go there, where again were Washington, Stevens and Joyce from?

First off if you listened to Superintendent at meeting last night. They estimate new Oaks Career path school will draw about 200 students with the early college about the same. That would put new high school with at it near where Murphy is now. Also there will be three separate schools on one campus with three different admin and athletic programs. As someone posted earlier success of athletic program will depend on community support and I fear consolidation will erode all existing community support. As far as naming school school colors and mascot I won’t be happy unless it is called MHS black and gold and Bulldogs but my happiness is not at play here If they have any chance at community support they should start with the first graduating class down to pre k and let each student have a vote with out any limitations current or new name mascot and colors after all we know how we old farts would like it but it’s going to be there school so let them decide
My favorite compromise is Red and Black and have two mascots like Auburn. Bulldogs and War dam eagles

Now that right there is what you call a perfect marriage boys

Sorry BK your nightmare continues

What nightmare? Last 10 match ups. Robbinsville 6 Murphy 4
Robbinsville 370 kids Murphy 450?????? Who knows.

Good one 1st and ten mud cats. You did trick me. Sounded believable to me considering.

I'm wonder how many times your going say 1st and ten bulldogs instead of mud puppies. Lmao.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT