ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy, Hiwasse, and Andrews combining

swainmom04

Oct 12, 2018
Word around the rumor mill is that this is in the works. Curious as to what the school will be called and their mascot. What will happen to the SMC? What will become of the 1a powerhouse that is Murphy? Times they are a changing......

Reactions: paul Graham 1A
I wonder if there are enough kids to make this a 2A school? I know HD & Andrews are both small schools. Murphy is normally a mid 1A sized school.

Murphy is around 500-550 usually and Andrews somewhere in the 300s right? Hiwassee low 100s. So could be pushing into the 9s b

Murphy is around 500-550 usually and Andrews somewhere in the 300s right? Hiwassee low 100s. So could be pushing into the 9s b
The combined ADM's of the three from last year is exactly 840, including the early college kids it's 986. Though to be fair a few of those early college kids are from neighboring Clay County.

So the size of the school's enrollment really depends on whether the early college kids would be included in the ADM's. If they are they would be one of the largest 2A schools in the state at least to begin with, if early college kids weren't part of the ADM's they would be a mid sized 2A school.

My sense is that a consolidated Cherokee County High and Tri County Early College would have a singular athletic program since the two schools would essentially be housed under the same roof, it would be silly not to. A consildated Cherokee County High would be one of the bigger 2A schools ADM wise under the current classification structure by my estimation, at least early on.

Last edited:
No way Andrews hass 100 at the ec.
I think the drop off is a combo of the EC and a natural drop in enrollment that you see at most schools now.

I didn’t mean all that was at the EC, and I agree most schools going down, just pointing out that they’ve had a bigger drop off than everyone else

Reactions: BK13T-$
If they combine with early college, it could possibly put them at 3A numbers then? The bump line is only going to grow as long as charters with low ADMs continue to open.

What’s everyone thinking for mascot and name? Are we going to see a red and yellow combination for Andrews and Murphy?

Are we going to see a red and yellow combination for Andrews and Murphy?
No, wouldn't be fair to HD. Have recently heard talk about Patriots as the mascot... hate it, a wholly overused mascot and a woefully overused color scheme if it's the stereotypical red, white and blue. If the talk on that is true they better start rethinking it.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t the school get a name first? Harrah’s Valley River or something?
Lol. In all seriousness though Valley River High wouldn't be bad at all, has a nice ring to it. Peachtree High would be decent too.

Cherokee County is what I've heard circulating though. I'm not big on that name with Cherokee High already in existence. With that said I can live with Cherokee County as a school name if they get the mascot and color scheme right, but Patriots sure isn't it.

Valley River Vipers? I could get behind that.

Last edited:
If they combine with early college, it could possibly put them at 3A numbers then? The bump line is only going to grow as long as charters with low ADMs continue to open.
Since a peak in 2008 of nearly 1,100 high school students in the county, Cherokee County is down to just under 1,000 students now (986). The estimate for an opening of a consolidated school is August 2024 or 2025.

If the trends over the last twelve years continue then by the time a consolidated Cherokee County school opened in 2025 my guess is they would be more comfortably towards 2A numbers (940-950 range).

Of course once you factor in some Andrews people sending their kids to Nantahala/Robbinsville and some Hiwassee Dam people sending their kids to Copper Basin instead of the consolidated school, it's probably going to be much closer to 900 kids than the nearly 1,000 it would be now.

Last edited:
it would be 2A. Probably 800-850 students. I would guess they either go into Mountain Six 2A if it’s still around, or SMC becomes a 1A/2A split league.
I seriously doubt the SMC will become a split conference with only one 2A team. That would give them a playoff berth every year. They would be a natural fit in the Mountain Six and be an immediate threat to win the MTN6 title.

I seriously doubt the SMC will become a split conference with only one 2A team.
I think the implication is that Smoky and Franklin would join the SMC in that scenario.

2A
Cherokee County
Franklin
Smoky Mountain

1A
Cherokee
Hayesville
Robbinsville
Swain County

Rosman would probably join the WHC...

Personally I'm not for it, I wouldn't want a 2A Cherokee County playing in the SMC. Cherokee County could always play Robbinsville and Swain County in non conference in football, Hayesville in non conference in baseball and basketball, etc.

Mountain 7
Cherokee County
Brevard
East Henderson
Franklin
Hendersonville
Smoky Mountain
Tuscola

SMC
Cherokee
Hayesville
Swain County
Robbinsville
Rosman

Last edited:
I seriously doubt the SMC will become a split conference with only one 2A team. That would give them a playoff berth every year. They would be a natural fit in the Mountain Six and be an immediate threat to win the MTN6 title.

I think their success depends on coaching and community backing.

Reactions: mbdfan
The Patriots would be an awfully lame name for them.. plus their is already a Patriot team in the Mountains with Madison. Granted they wouldn't be close together like East Surry and East Wilkes are but still there shouldn't be too many close named schools near by.

What about Cherokee County Cobras? Valley River would be a unique name.. they could use that for momentum. Anything's better than Cherokee County High.

I would think there would be three 2A members at least if that happened (former SMC 2A members from way back). But I was also under the impression split conferences are out of favor.

Reactions: paul Graham 1A
I think the implication is that Smoky and Franklin would join the SMC in that scenario.

2A
Cherokee County
Franklin
Smoky Mountain

1A
Cherokee
Hayesville
Robbinsville
Swain County

Rosman would probably join the WHC...

Personally I'm not for it, I wouldn't want a 2A Cherokee County playing in the SMC. Cherokee County could always play Robbinsville and Swain County in non conference in football, Hayesville in non conference in baseball and basketball, etc.

Mountain 7
Cherokee County
Brevard
East Henderson
Franklin
Hendersonville
Smoky Mountain
Tuscola

SMC
Cherokee
Hayesville
Swain County
Robbinsville
Rosman

As for the SMC 1A under that scenario, I guess that would end the Little Smoky in the sports it exists in? Would just become a 9-team conference (take out HD from LSMC but add Summit Charter in Jackson Co.) with only 5 football schools? Filling seven non-conference spots not going to be fun.

customLogo.gif

As for the SMC 1A under that scenario, I guess that would end the Little Smoky in the sports it exists in? Would just become a 9-team conference (take out HD from LSMC but add Summit Charter in Jackson Co.) with only 5 football schools? Filling seven non-conference spots not going to be fun.
If it played out like that, the SMC could go back to playing each conference school home and away in football, like the old days. Then they each would only have 3 non conference games to fill, which shouldn't be too difficult.

Reactions: KNIGHT OF OLD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT