ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy - Andrews - HD consolidation

I thought that kids would take classes for part of the day and get a vocational certificate, but would still take their core classes at and be a student of the high school they came from? That wouldn't take away students from the enrollment..
That's my understanding as well. I asked the super and school board chair, so I would say it's pretty accurate.

Last edited:
Valley Town is my vote by a mile.

Valley Town Vampires
Colors: Crimson, Grey, Black, white helmets w/ Blood Red facemasks

Could go by the "Valley Vamps"

Last edited:
Reactions: therealsquid
Tri Valley River Copper heads, just turn off of 74 or64 onto Copper head road. But for real why hasn't the state lottery funds just build the school?
I've been waiting on this announcement to be made so I could comment publicly on it. A couple of weeks back when I knew who the grant awards were going to for this round I knew the responses would be highly entertaining both on here and on facebook lol.

The General Assembly's stance historically on public school (as well as community college) capital has been that local governments are responsbile for the costs. Then once the lottery was finally voted in the G.A. set it up so that a portion of those funds went towards school capital. There are 3 separate funds set up now within the lottery appropriations to help address the significant need across the State for public school capital (roughly $12.8 billion now): 1st - the State lottery fund (operating expenses, prizes, etc.); 2nd- Education lottery fund (profit from the State fund - this is where the GA appropriates money to educational programs); 3rd - Ed. lottery reserve (funds to cover any shortfall between lottery proceeds and appropriations). The issue with the first round of grants was there was $395 million available in that grant cycle for the needs-based grant fund, and there were 176 applications from 76 school districts in 70 counties that totaled over $2.7 billion. The G.A. realized in this past budget session I believe finally realized just how much need there is for school capital across the state and is going to attempt to address that even more in the 2023 session (which means long hours for me lol).

Why couldn't be called Cherokee County High School? Cherokee County Copperheads sounds pretty cool as well. I understand Cherokee High being right there but it the eastern part of the state you have Washington High School and the newly formed Washington County High School very close.
That county being named the same as a town in another county was a cluster but happened over 200 years ago. you would think the powers that be could have come up with something a bit more unique.

South Point and South Pointe (Rock Hill SC) which I list as SP and SPe. Thought York County could have did a bit better with that.

I would prefer something to do with the local area and landmark. If not for Cherokee HS the Cherokee County would be ok but I think it is best to move on.

Is the pay per view channel for Robbinsville games any good. I know the game will be a blowout but I don’t have a game to go to tonight

Don’t know where you are getting numbers from but Murphy has roughly 430 kids Andrews and HD about 350. What y’all are not taking into consideration is the new School of Inovation that will offer a technical Ed path for those kids that choose not to go to college If it only pulls 100 students that will put student pop at around 670 and that’s not deducting for the kids that choose to go somewhere else. So I’m all liklyhood it could still brb1A
Those kids will still be counted toward the home high school ADM. The vocational path is 1/2 day. They will be bused there.

Reactions: mbdfan and BK13T-$
Last I heard they would be a student at SOI and would not count in enrollment of new HS but that may have changed That was the info I was told by school officials
I met with the administrator over the program along with several others to offer input to the various programs. The way it was explained to us, the high school core courses will be taught at the regular high school, and that's where the diploma shows graduation from. The other 1/2 day, the vocational kids are bussed to SOI, which is a certificate program.

Reactions: mbdfan
Youth night tonight. These young boys will never play for the bulldogs. Come out and support these kids. Many of them have dreamed of one day being a Bulldog.

New traditions will follow...
If the new school doesn’t open until 27-28, the midget players this year will definitely get to play for the Bulldogs. Possibly all the way through.

Btw, you guys that were guessing the composition of the new conference you were leaving out a major factor. Highlands, Blue Ridge and Nantahala will have to be included as they can no longer comprise the Little SMC. It requires 4 teams for a conference so that will probably require their merging with the Big SMC. Football will not be the only sport to be considered.

Btw, you guys that were guessing the composition of the new conference you were leaving out a major factor. Highlands, Blue Ridge and Nantahala will have to be included as they can no longer comprise the Little SMC. It requires 4 teams for a conference so that will probably require their merging with the Big SMC. Football will not be the only sport to be considered.
That's a shame, I can recall when the we had a SMC in 1 and 2a ball. The 2a was just Franklin Murphy and Swain. Each 2a school played each other twice a year. Made for some snot knocking games in the 70's.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I kind of figured Summit Charter in Cashiers might take that spot. They just added a high school and have been playing the LSMC teams but I don’t think have joined NCHSAA yet. But if they dont take that spot (or the Early College once they have new facilities), then You’re right and it would get even more complicated.

Last edited:
If the new school doesn’t open until 27-28, the midget players this year will definitely get to play for the Bulldogs. Possibly all the way through.
While they might not in this case they don't always wait for the school to be built before combining the schools for sports, Mitchell played as one team for three years before the school was built. But my guess would be they'll have them start playing as one team in 26 when the next realignment starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
If we still have 4 classifications by then my guess would be Rosman and maybe even Polk go back to the SMC or you have mutliple split conferences out west.

That county being named the same as a town in another county was a cluster but happened over 200 years ago. you would think the powers that be could have come up with something a bit more unique.

South Point and South Pointe (Rock Hill SC) which I list as SP and SPe. Thought York County could have did a bit better with that.

I would prefer something to do with the local area and landmark. If not for Cherokee HS the Cherokee County would be ok but I think it is best to move on.
Never made since to name that school Washington County. Could have been named after a river or something unique. Don’t like the idea of naming the new school Cherokee County for same reason. Call it something cool like River Valley Rangers.

Reactions: btango
Never made since to name that school Washington County. Could have been named after a river or something unique. Don’t like the idea of naming the new school Cherokee County for same reason. Call it something cool like River Valley Rangers.
Nice. Like that. RVR!

Just stick with Cherokee County. It too was named for tribe, so leave it. But for the uniforms, use a black base with a snake skin pattern in gold and the helmets, snake skins red over the black with CC in red with fangs trailing off the C's. The pattern should only be used on the shoulder pads and helmets.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
While they might in this case they don't always wait for the school to be built before combining the schools for sports, Mitchell played as one team for three years before the school was built. But my guess would be they'll have them start playing as one team in 26 when the next realignment starts.
Good point. I didn’t think about how the realignment might affect things. If it does happen the way you think it will, I guess the only current youth players that will get to walk down the Hill as Bulldogs will be the 2025 freshmen who move up to the varsity team after their JV season is over. Or maybe every freshman that season will just play on the varsity team from day 1 and skip the JV season altogether, just so they can have the experience of one full year as varsity Bulldogs. Sad to think about,

Last edited:
Good point. I didn’t think about how the realignment might affect things. If it does happen the way you think it will, I guess the only current youth players that will get to walk down the Hill as Bulldogs will be the 2025 freshmen who move up to the varsity team after their JV season is over. Or maybe every freshman that season will just play on the varsity team from day 1 and skip the JV season altogether, just so they can have the experience of one full year as varsity Bulldogs. Sad to think about,
Well I'm not sure that's how they'll do it's just how they did it in Mitchell's situation but that was in 1975 and I'm not sure why they did it that way or if had anything to do with a realignment coming up or what, I might ask my brother who was co-captain on that team and see if he remembers.
But if I was running the nchsaa and I had a new school that was going to open in the middle of the next realignment I'd want them to go ahead a start the sports programs but I don't know who's that's up to I wouldn't they think they could make a school start before they're ready. Probably be some kinda meeting between the county and the state about it.

Reactions: NC nole fan
If teams combine before the school is built, they should play in the classification that their combined ADM’s dictate.
If they do they will. The question is will they combine the teams like we did in Mitchell county before the school is built? It just seemed to me they should if possible before the next realignment wether the school building is built or not just play at one of the existing stadiums Mitchell played at Harris's because it was bigger than Bowman's. Infact we played there even after the school itself was open the first year of the school was 78-79 the first team my senior year 82-83 was the first team play at Mitchell's stadium. So you don't have to have everything up and going at once.

But if I was running the nchsaa and I had a new school that was going to open in the middle of the next realignment I'd want them to go ahead a start the sports programs but I don't know who's that's up to I wouldn't they think they could make a school start before they're ready. Probably be some kinda meeting between the county and the state about it.
The school system decides when the school will combine into one team. If they are not under one school the NCHSAA signs off on it. I cannot remember but I think Montgomery Central played a season without the students being at the new school.

The school system decides when the school will combine into one team. If they are not under one school the NCHSAA signs off on it. I cannot remember but I think Montgomery Central played a season without the students being at the new school.
They did and still played down.

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT