ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy - Andrews - HD consolidation

Getting back to consolidation, are there any other schools in the WNC that might consolidate? Could Rosman and Brevard eventually consolidate?
Reading some articles from their local papers it must not even be on their minds.
They've got $68 million for renovations and addions to Rosman high and middle school and Brevard high school. They've been having issues getting it all started for different reasons looks like covid caused delays as well. But seems you could build a new high school somewhere in the middle and save money keeping up one high school. When does it come advantageous over time to keep up a high school for 284 students and is that number steady, going up or going down?
But I don't know much about the county so there's probably issues that I'm not aware of on why they're remodeling instead of building new, just going by my own county we went from 4 high schools to 3 to 2 and now 1 and now going to consolidate the last 2 middle schools because lower enrollment plus old buildings in need of repair especially one is.

Reactions: Bill28714
Bk, the Cherokee County consolidation will be 1A. They are building a new large EC which will house more students. A few students from HD will move to Copper Basin and probably a few will go to Union County. As they and other small schools consolidate the cutoff number will climb. The only thing standing in the way of this is an increase in the number of charter schools. Pick your poison.

Bk, the Cherokee County consolidation will be 1A. They are building a new large EC which will house more students. A few students from HD will move to Copper Basin and probably a few will go to Union County. As they and other small schools consolidate the cutoff number will climb. The only thing standing in the way of this is an increase in the number of charter schools. Pick your poison.
Spot on! 1a will be a 1000 kids and under within ten years.

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
Reading some articles from their local papers it must not even be on their minds.
They've got $68 million for renovations and addions to Rosman high and middle school and Brevard high school. They've been having issues getting it all started for different reasons looks like covid caused delays as well. But seems you could build a new high school somewhere in the middle and save money keeping up one high school. When does it come advantageous over time to keep up a high school for 284 students and is that number steady, going up or going down?
But I don't know much about the county so there's probably issues that I'm not aware of on why they're remodeling instead of building new, just going by my own county we went from 4 high schools to 3 to 2 and now 1 and now going to consolidate the last 2 middle schools because lower enrollment plus old buildings in need of repair especially one is.
Appreciate the response.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
The Early College kids can't play sports currently can they?
They have their own athletic department. No gym at current facility though so they just do soccer, track, XC, and maybe a few other things. which brings up more interesting questions about whether that will expand athletics with the new facility (and what that could mean for their enrollment). But also whether there should just be one athletic program when it’s all one campus? And how that would work since the EC is also open to Clay County…

Seems odd that two schools will be on the same campus. Does this happen other places?

What about The Oaks? Will it be the third school on the same campus?

Correct me if I'm wrong but can just anyone in Cherokee County go to the EC? Isn't some standard in place?

Correct me if I'm wrong but can just anyone in Cherokee County go to the EC? Isn't some standard in place?
You have to apply and get accepted. The application is on the link--I had college applications that required less. Not sure what the acceptance rate is but if you got to "Our School" then "About" on the website, the last paragraph says the current max is 40 per class. So that would have to change with the new facility for all the talk of the new school still being 1A to be play out. ADM at last realignment was 146, so not quite to capacity right now, but taking 14 more kids away from the new school to get to current capacity would still have the new school pretty easily in 2A.

TCEC Admissions

Last edited:
Reactions: Swain97
They have their own athletic department. No gym at current facility though so they just do soccer, track, XC, and maybe a few other things. which brings up more interesting questions about whether that will expand athletics with the new facility (and what that could mean for their enrollment). But also whether there should just be one athletic program when it’s all one campus? And how that would work since the EC is also open to Clay County…

If they are going to be on same campus I would have a hard time not seeing them have 1 athletic program.

If they are going to be on same campus I would have a hard time not seeing them have 1 athletic program.
The issue I see with the EC kids just playing for the new consolidated Cherokee Co high school is that the EC is a partnership between Cherokee County and Clay County. So could all the EC kids--including the Clay Co. ones--play at the new Cherokee Co. school and create a pretty big loophole to the district boundary? Especially when the EC has discretionary admission and not even a lottery. Or do you just let EC kids from Cherokee County play for the Cherokee County high school and tell those EC kids from Clay County they're out of luck? Or let the Cherokee Co. EC kids play for teams on their campus but send the Clay Co kids 10 miles down the road to try to play for Hayesville? It will be interesting to see what happens.

I think you let Cherokee County kids play for Cherokee County and send Clay kids to Hayesville.

If wouldn't make any sense to fund 2 athletic programs on the same site and you definitely won't get 2 sets of athletic facilities.

Wilkes sends their kids to their home schools. Surry may do the same thing but not sure.

Man this thread has it all. Consolidation, early colleges, the oaks, charters, politics, religion, racism!!

popcorn-emoji.gif

I was always against the idea of early college from an athletic standpoint and the advantages of not having those kids count towards numbers. But from an academic standpoint, having a kid graduate high school with a 2yr degree that costs a family nothing is huge in these parts.

Eager to see how this plays out for Cherokee County. I like BK's idea of naming that mascot the All-Stars if they combine to one team 🤣.

Why do you think he hates Tarboro? I didn't hear that. I see that you don't want changes to be made. Wonder why?
I think two separate enrollment numbers for each school could be used. One for athletics.

That's basically what we are doing know with the free lunch system.

When will it be 1A? In about 30 years? Murphy's already a pretty big school they're adding what 300 with Andrews and 200 with hiawassee dam. Getting them to about a thousand. Shit they're getting close to 3A. But rationale do you have? Other than stupidity? Oh wait I see it at the end more charter schools and early colleges. Why in the hell would you want that. Murphy and Andrews are already beating some 2A teams so what's the point dude. It's amazing to me that someone comes on here and thinks they know what they're talking about when they're so utterly ignorant about it. They're going to consolidate it they'll probably turn the high schools in the middle schools. Whatever. But it's not going to be one a. Not unless half the kids get run over by a dam overflowing or something. Geez.

Why do you think he hates Tarboro? I didn't hear that. I see that you don't want changes to be made. Wonder why?
I think two separate enrollment numbers for each school could be used. That's basically what we are doing know with the free lunch system.
If you actually have seen his prior posts, you'd know he hates Tarboro. And actually you got me wrong. I'd love for Tarboro to go to 2a again. I personally can't stand early colleges lol.

Reactions: thekidd12
Roughtrader

HD and Andrews would be about 400, not 500 and Murphy 450. That's 850. They are saying some will go to Robbinsville and some will go to Tennessee and some will go to the EC.

I don't see more than 25 going to Robbinsville. 40 maybe to Tennessee. That would mean roughly 135 to the EC to get down to 1a around 650. Also a few could possibly physically move out of county. But still 100 plus added to the EC not counting the hayesville kids. Seem like a long shot to me. They would have to lower the entry criteria for the EC I would think.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Spot on! 1a will be a 1000 kids and under within ten years.
I think it will be less than what it is now.
Most think we will probably go to 5 or 6a within ten years. Not to mention new charter schools that play football are small and push out the biggest 1a team. Making the classification smaller as a whole.

Roughtrader

HD and Andrews would be about 400, not 500 and Murphy 450. That's 850. They are saying some will go to Robbinsville and some will go to Tennessee and some will go to the EC.

I don't see more than 25 going to Robbinsville. 40 maybe to Tennessee. That would mean roughly 135 to the EC to get down to 1a around 650. Also a few could possibly physically move out of county. But still 100 plus added to the EC not counting the hayesville kids. Seem like a long shot to me. They would have to lower the entry criteria for the EC I would think.
I've been told by some people who've taught at other ECs that the whole point of the EC system isn't just getting the associates degree at the same time you graduate high school--which a good number of kids do at all the traditional schools in the area now anyway--but to have a smaller, specialized environment for kids to do that who might not otherwise be on track for college for various reasons. That's why they cap it at 40 per class at the moment. So if you up the number of kids that can go to the EC high enough to where it lowers the regular high school to 1A numbers, I think the EC's mission would get lost and there'd be basically no reason for the EC's existence any more. So I just don't see the EC getting that big.

I was also thinking the new high school might fall to 1A back when The Learning Center announced its high school, but unless it reopens or something else takes its place now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swain97
Might be the makings of a DYNASTY !!
You take the athletes from Andrews, HD and Murphy and put them in 1A SMC could be something special. I’m sure they will be able to work the numbers out. Hayesville one school of Clay County ! Robbinsville one school of Graham County ! Swain one school of Swain County ! Why not one school Cherokee County
I see why some are nervous

When will it be 1A? In about 30 years? Murphy's already a pretty big school they're adding what 300 with Andrews and 200 with hiawassee dam. Getting them to about a thousand. Shit they're getting close to 3A. But rationale do you have? Other than stupidity? Oh wait I see it at the end more charter schools and early colleges. Why in the hell would you want that. Murphy and Andrews are already beating some 2A teams so what's the point dude. It's amazing to me that someone comes on here and thinks they know what they're talking about when they're so utterly ignorant about it. They're going to consolidate it they'll probably turn the high schools in the middle schools. Whatever. But it's not going to be one a. Not unless half the kids get run over by a dam overflowing or something. Geez.
Andrews is at 208, HD at 180.

Reactions: mbdfan and BK13T-$

You need to do a little research. The total ADM for the 3 schools is only 840 not 1,000. The EC is much larger than the facilities in current use (the old buildings are also on site and could be used). If they double the size of the EC, then they are close to 1A range. As I said before, many parents are talking that their students will attend other schools such as Basin, Union or Robbinsville. They could increase the enrollment at Oaks Academy. As Wildcat said, they will make the numbers work. Finally, before you toss around terms such as stupidity (or display it) perhaps you should become familiar with the circumstances of the area. Did you amaze yourself? You came on with no accurate knowledge of the situation. Do you feel utterly ignorant?

Last edited:
Montgomery Central is an example of a merger gone bad. East and West Mont were both competitive football teams prior to the merger. Since the merger they are getting whooped in 3A ball and losing to 1A and 2A teams. An Andrews/Murphy merged team sounds like a good formula for success. Sometimes overcoming the old spirit of rivals and getting the kids to play together takes time.

Montgomery Central is an example of a merger gone bad. East and West Mont were both competitive football teams prior to the merger. Since the merger they are getting whooped in 3A ball and losing to 1A and 2A teams. An Andrews/Murphy merged team sounds like a good formula for success. Sometimes overcoming the old spirit of rivals and getting the kids to play together takes time.
Montgomery Central is no West Montgomery, Smoky Mountain is no Sylva-Webster, Washington Co. is no Plymouth. The people thinking this will create some super team need to check their expectations.

Montgomery Central is no West Montgomery, Smoky Mountain is no Sylva-Webster, Washington Co. is no Plymouth. The people thinking this will create some super team need to check their expectations.
For your information, if this was directed at me, I’m not for consolidation, only having a little fun. Having said that if it goes through I wanted to see 2 schools instead of one. I believe all the schools you mentioned went up in classifications and my comment was if our school stayed in 1A. That is my expectations

Reactions: Wow71
For your information, if this was directed at me, I’m not for consolidation, only having a little fun. Having said that if it goes through I wanted to see 2 schools instead of one. I believe all the schools you mentioned went up in classifications and my comment was if our school stayed in 1A. That is my expectations
Not directed at you. I also wanted two 400-450 student schools instead of one 800-900 student school. But I think that ship sailed 5-6 years ago when it was on the table and Murphy voices vehemently opposed it because their student body would have been the one getting split up. I think if Andrews and HD people knew what would come next they would have rallied around the previous plan more.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT