ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy - Andrews - HD consolidation

mbdfan

Mar 17, 2007
It's been a long process with a lot of twists and turns but today it's official, Cherokee County received the state grant and this consolidation will happen.

There has been a lot of opinions on this but you won't ever convince me that this wasn't a necessary step for relevancy in this county athletically and academically long term.

Last edited:
That sucks for the tradition though. I really hope they never combine Tarboro and North Edgecombe because it wouldn’t be Tarboro anymore.

Reactions: BK13T-$
All kidding aside. This is going piss my in-laws off. I keep telling them it will still happen but they laugh. I mean. It has to happen if you look at it logically. It really sucks for Cherokee County fans and for the SMC as a whole. It will affect all members. This is the biggest change to ever happen to this conference.

All kidding aside. This is going piss my in-laws off. I keep telling them it will still happen but they laugh. I mean. It has to happen if you look at it logically. It really sucks for Cherokee County fans and for the SMC as a whole. It will affect all members. This is the biggest change to ever happen to this conference.
From a Murphy standpoint: if Murphy enrollment was still 625-650 like it was 15-20 years ago and the high school infrastructure wasn't falling apart I would've never supported this, but when your building is a crumbling dump and you're creeping up on 400 kids total it's time to get out of your feelings and view the situation objectively.

I couldn't give a good guess until we know what formula the NCHSAA is going to use on the next realignment and how many classes there's going to be.
A lot of variables. If they stay 4 classes I’d like to see a 1A/2A split SMC with Rosman coming back and bringing Brevard with them. Especially if Franklin and/or Smoky go back to 2A. Brevard fans probably don’t feel the same. If they go to more than 4 classes, harder to guess but I’d imagine probably looking at being in with Brevard/Hendo/Owen/Madison/Polk type schools. They could foreseeably still be 2A even with 5 classes and split could still be on the table.

Reactions: mbdfan
Bring back Franklin and Smoky to 2A, add Brevard and the new consolidated school, and add the remaining 1A schools and make a conference. Rosman could also be added.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I’m hearing Owen may drop to 1a next realignment if we stay with 4 classes

I saw with the DPI release on this topic Alleghany is getting over 40 million for a new High School to be built. KW may have some insight on this one?

• Wow
Reactions: Slasher Killer
Nine team conference is to much.
7 is a good number.

Robbinsville
Hayesville
Swain
Cherokee
2a
Cherokee county
Franklin
Smoky
This would be nice. Only three non conference games to find a short road trips.

I think there’s be 4 non conference with that lineup, but I agree it’d be good. Franklin and Smoky already playing most of the SMC and it’s been pretty competitive.

So 850 students not counting the EC.
I guess 200 are going move or go to the EC.

If anybody can do it though......

With the new early college buildings being built and the student population decline they will still be 1A. Sorry to break the news to you rville posters!
Personally if I was a high school kid these days or parent of one and the kid wasn't interested in sports or band etc I don't blame them for going to early college and starting college as a sophomore or junior.
There was some students or their parents that my youngest daughter and I meet at her freshman orientation at NC State in 2014 who went to early college and got a year or more of general ed out of the way and didn't have to pay NCSU for it.

Last edited:
I saw with the DPI release on this topic Alleghany is getting over 40 million for a new High School to be built. KW may have some insight on this one?

Don't know anything about a new school but I do know we will be getting turf soon like Mitchell did this year.

Nine team conference is to much.
7 is a good number.

Robbinsville
Hayesville
Swain
Cherokee
2a
Cherokee county
Franklin
Smoky
This would be nice. Only three non conference games to find a short road trips.
Franklin won't be 2A for a while, I don't think. We started allowing Early College kids play sports at the high school again, so our numbers will be way too high for 2A unless that gets changed back.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
It's been a long process with a lot of twists and turns but today it's official, Cherokee County received the state grant and this consolidation will happen.

There has been a lot of opinions on this but you won't ever convince me that this wasn't a necessary step for relevancy in this county athletically and academically long term.
MBD you are correct to say this is badly needed. I have been against the consolidation in the past but have now warmed to the consolidation.

I graduated from Murphy in 1981 and it was a dump then, and only has become worse. It is critical that the consolidation happen.

Reactions: mbdfan and BK13T-$
Cherokee County folks, I realize that you guys face a lot of opposition to consolidation due to tradition. Did you face any opposition due to cost? I realize y'all got a grant and that helped tremendously, but are you guys going to have to raise taxes any?

I ask this because in Macon County, we really need a new high school. The one we have is really old, has 7+ buildings and has a public road going through it. The decision to replace it rests on our commissioners race because it will take a largish tax bump and we're populated by people who can't realize the investment in the community this would be.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Personally if I was a high school kid these days or parent of one and the kid wasn't interested in sports or band etc I don't blame them for going to early college and starting college as a sophomore or junior.
There was some students or their parents that my youngest daughter and I meet at her freshman orientation at NC State in 2014 who went to early college and got a year or more of general ed out of the way and didn't have to pay NCSU for it.
I think the early college enrollment will sky rocket. The main reason most kids didn't go was the location. With the location being the same, I just believe alot if kids will be there if it can hold them all

Here's another thing will all the schools be on the same campus?

Simply said, tradition is eliminated. We can all agree that this is going to be the biggest transformation that has ever taken place in this conference, but it's excellent for the county as a whole. Just let's hope that students don't alter their minds and start attending college sooner. Just keep in mind how miserable Murphy was over 30 years ago and has become.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Getting back to consolidation, are there any other schools in the WNC that might consolidate? Could Rosman and Brevard eventually consolidate?

I don't know why they haven't. Would save a butt ton on sports travel. Build a single high school between the 2 towns off 64 somewhere and call it a day.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT