ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell wins. MA: total meltdown

Ma never admit that , they would have been blown out by any of the three East has played conover , Monroe or maiden
I honestly never realized the difference in completion in those top 5 or 6 in 2 a , East has overachieved this year for sure , hell I didn’t think they would get by Monroe

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Mitchell is just a better coached team , that smacks you in the mouth . MA is soft when it comes to physicality .

The mountain style wins once again over speed !! When are these teams that spread you out going to figure this out. Mountain style is ball control and run right at you for 4 Qtrs milking the clock and totally taking other teams out of their game. Being out of sync leads to frustration and turnovers. Mountain style might give up a occasional score but they bend not break. The tradition continues

Mount Airy would do good to try and schedule a Watauga, Statesville, Carroll County, Mount Tabor, North Davidson, etc.

Sometimes though bigger schools won't play the small man. Scheduling isn't easy. Didnt Pisgah play MA back in the spring? AT MA? I would consider that a good NC scheduling effort?

I hope JK Adkins sees the handwriting on the wall and finds his way out of Mount Airy. I was for him and the sideline penalties last week and what 3 tonight and the players out of control. He is just not ready for a school with tradition. Maybe East Wilkes will have him back.

I been saying for 4 years the MA job is too big for him. He is not the right coach for MA

Mount Airy fans treating their job like it's Alabama. What a spoiled bunch.
You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves here. I played for Kelly when I was in high school but I also played for Coach Adkins my senior year. As far as treating the job like Alabama, Mount Airy is a prestigious job. I might be biased but it's a great program year in and year out with a lot of tradition. So there is a bar set. As far as people saying they want him out, Rome wasn't built in a day. Just look at Justin Fuente, he took over VT after an amazing career by Frank Beamer. It's hard to follow a legendary coach. After Kelly took over in '99 it didn't take him until '08 to win the state title, after being in the shadows of Starmount, East Surry, and Elkin in the early 2000s. Coach Adkins is in his 4th year now at MA. And he has been one of the most successful coaches at MA to start his tenure. Y'all need to be patient. Don't get me wrong, a State Title is the goal but we are on the right track. Coach Adkins is a great coach. We will be on the mountain top again.

Gate Money Don't get you far in the playoffs I wished it did but the teams we play are so weak I hope it changes but I don't see it happening anytime soon
Yeah, but you can't get rid of the regional rivalries with NS, ES, and SC. I wish we would play Galax in the regular season every year that would benefit us a lot as far as facing talent and Galax being close.

Yeah, but you can't get rid of the regional rivalries with NS, ES, and SC. I wish we would play Galax in the regular season every year that would benefit us a lot as far as facing talent and Galax being close.
I agree 100 percent they are a helluva good program me and you think alike there I've been saying that for 4 years we have been scrimmage them but we need more

Reactions: realjoejr
East Surry is THE REAL DEAL. I don't see them getting by Shelby..but with the QB and Coach ES.has...ya never know....it is definitely an uphill climb to beat Shelby.

Reactions: gdawg74
East Surry is THE REAL DEAL. I don't see them getting by Shelby..but with the QB and Coach ES.has...ya never know....it is definitely an uphill climb to beat Shelby.
I never believe any team will beat Shelby until they do it. I've seen fantastic teams play those guys from all over the state and them boys from Cleveland county beat all comers damn near every time.

Don't get me wrong, a State Title is the goal but we are on the right track. Coach Adkins is a great coach. We will be on the mountain top again.
When has MA (or any other area team) been on top of any mountain?….lol

I am editing this to say I’m not trying to be a smart ass. This area has always been a little weak compared to other areas. Granted MA and ES are big fish but they’re in a very small pond. No area school has been a big fish in a big pond. I think that is the reason MA fans have a rough time here. They want to put MA in with the same group as Tarboro, Robbinsville, Swain Co., Murphy, etc. but they just don’t deserve to be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Knight
I respectfully disagree...and would add MA and Mitchell to that perennial power 1a list. State Championships are very hard to come by..but a programs success should be measured by sustainability as well. MA sets a high standard as far as lofty goals based on the athletes they have consistently year after year. They deserve to be mentioned along with Mitchell. Swain definitely deserves to be on that list based on their past, but nowadays they can compete with anyone on any given night..but do not deserve the spotlight that Robinsville and Murphy garner. Ya still hate to see Swain in your playoff bracket though. Coaching up there in the SMC is legendary. No team around here in 1a has what they have..Even though E.Surry is 2a..i would put Lowman in the realm of the SMC as far as coaches go and what he does with his talent...Thomasville...Starmount...Albemarle..were there for years.....Elkin also had a spot as well for 3 or 4 yrs...but none of them have sustained..but Starmount and Thomasville may be creeping on a come up...

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree...and would add MA and Mitchell to that perennial power 1a list. State Championships are very hard to come by..but a programs success should be measured by sustainability as well. MA sets a high standard as far as lofty goals based on the athletes they have consistently year after year. They deserve to be mentioned along with Mitchell. Swain definitely deserves to be on that list based on their past, but nowadays they can compete with anyone on any given night..but do not deserve the spotlight that Robinsville and Murphy garner. Ya still hate to see Swain in your playoff bracket though. Coaching up there in the SMC is legendary. No team around here in 1a has what they have..Even though E.Surry is 2a..i would put Lowman in the realm of the SMC as far as coaches go and what he does with his talent...Thomasville...Starmount...Albemarle..were there for years.....Elkin also had a spot as well for 3 or 4 yrs...but none of them have sustained..but Starmount and Thomasville may be creeping on a come up...
Did you just quote a bone thugs song?

Pyrles is typical MA hater and will always speak against MA and there fans. He hasn't seen MA play all year but knows all about them smh. Blueprint I respect the hell out of you comments on here you always seem to be genuine and true. Don't always agree but uk lol!

Mount Airy has probably been the most consistent team in the area for the last 20 years and has been in the title hunt a good portion of those seasons.

Elkin was the king for a short period of time. They crashed hard once the fun ended.

Starmount has been a roller coaster from 1 win seasons to a state title appearance.

East Surry has been the 2nd most consistent team over those 20 years but never really contended for titles until recently.

Outside of all this and a short solid run for East Wilkes and a western regional appearance for Alleghany, Prlyes is right regarding the area. It's relatively weak and has been for some time.

Starmount was once the standard for the area but now it's Mount Airy like it or not.

Well, after a weekend to process what happened Friday, I am embarrassed as a fan. The lack of composure that started the week before with Starmount continued Friday. Sideline warnings were give that game too if you remember. Players throwing shoes, more unsportsmanlike penalties by coaches and players. Just a flat out unraveling by a team that showed they had what it takes to win that game. 5 TD's called back. Penn dominates the run game and he fumbles once and I don't think he got the ball again. Kneeling before the end of the first half with somewhere around a minute left I think. I thought that's when you take shots at a big play. Congrats Mitchell.

I think MA and ES would have won more titles over the last 4 years if the East hadn't produced such strong 1AA team(s) (Tarboro). The East hasn't produced the same level of competition in small 1A. MA and ES are strong programs. I think it is just a matter of time before the pieces fall into place for MA. I enjoy all the trash talk from the teams out west but at the end of the day you need to put up or shut up. That rule doesn't necessarily work on a message board. You can lose and still talk junk which just proves that I am typing in an alternate reality. Just my 2 cent. LOL

Reactions: gdawg74
JK is a good coach just can't win the big games. MA has never had that many unsportsmanlike penalties in a game. But not bad to lose to the #2 team by 1 td
Good coach with talent he has would win the big games! Lowman is a good coach his te.has.gotten better as MA really stayed even killed from first of year especially at QB.

Ma never admit that , they would have been blown out by any of the three East has played conover , Monroe or maiden
I honestly never realized the difference in completion in those top 5 or 6 in 2 a , East has overachieved this year for sure , hell I didn’t think they would get by Monroe
Never know Football all about match ups. Lowman definitely a better.coach. BTW you sure do bring MA up alot!!!!!

Pyrles...whats your suggestion? Negative talk is real and purposeful...? But what do you suggest the area brings to the table to be better? MA and ES are in a class all their own in the area. I fail to believe that the athletes in the area are inferior to MTN schools...But no one wants to play for a team or teams that are consistently 1 and done in playoffs or continue to produce less than .500 ball. Wish i had the answer..but ..I think coaching in the area pales in comparison to the proven SMC teams like Murphy amd Robbinsville. Those two teams are just all around tougher!!!

Pyrles...whats your suggestion? Negative talk is real and purposeful...? But what do you suggest the area brings to the table to be better? MA and ES are in a class all their own in the area. I fail to believe that the athletes in the area are inferior to MTN schools...But no one wants to play for a team or teams that are consistently 1 and done in playoffs or continue to produce less than .500 ball. Wish i had the answer..but ..I think coaching in the area pales in comparison to the proven SMC teams like Murphy amd Robbinsville. Those two teams are just all around tougher!!!

Look at the youth programs. I think junior high ball helps the SMC a ton.

Meanwhile Elkin went what 2 years without a middle school team and East Wilkes and Alleghany can figure out a way to sustain success from youth ball to high school. Alot of talk always but that's it.

Tradition is part of it too. Outside of Mayberry, ES, Elkin and Starmount, who has tradition in the area of anything other than not being good?

Last edited:
Look at the youth programs. I think junior high ball helps the SMC a ton.

Meanwhile Elkin went what 2 years without a middle school team and East Wilkes and Alleghany can figure out a way to sustain success from youth ball to high school. Alot of talk always but that's it.

Tradition is part of it too. Outside of Mayberry, ES, Elkin and Starmount, who had tradition in the area of anything other than not being good?
you just named 4 schools. that's a lot of tradition.
SMC has Murphy, Robbinsville, and Swain, if you wanna count Cherokee for the ring they won in 2017 with that. What point are you trying to make?

you just named 4 schools. that's a lot of tradition.
SMC has Murphy, Robbinsville, and Swain, if you wanna count Cherokee for the ring they won in 2017 with that. What point are you trying to make?

Totally different levels of tradition. Look at the state titles since the NCHSAA was formed from those SMC schools compared to our local schools.

Both areas have a lot to be proud of regarding their tradition though. It's not a knock. Just reality

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT