ADVERTISEMENT

Ok fellow MA fans

NCTheOne

Feb 24, 2008
Now that we have been scored on, let’s end the hoopla about whether or not we were going to give up any points in the regular season. And yes, I know that the touchdown we allowed was after we were up 49-0 and it was a bad snap on a punt that Ashe recovered in the end zone. So yes, this means it wasn’t technically a touchdown given up by our defense. But still, points are points. Didn’t ever once think that we would get through the regular season without giving up any points.

So now that that is out of the way, there are some things that I have noticed about MA so far that need to be cleaned up. The first thing is penalties. Is it just me, or do we seem to be getting a lot of flags thrown on us? Tonight, we had I think three long touchdowns called back on us. Each game this year it seems like we have had good long touchdowns called back. Need to clean up the penalties.

Another thing is resting the starters. The first four games have been blowouts and they won’t be the last regular season games that end in blowouts. While it is good that we can build depth and everyone get playing experience while also minimizing risk of starters getting injured when the game is already won, I wonder about if the starters are getting enough reps. Yes, this MA team is very experienced, talented, and primed for a deep playoff run with state title repeat aspirations. My concern is that with the starters coming out so soon, will they be in good enough “game shape” for when a game arrives that takes them deep into the 4th quarter? Should the coaches look to get them more reps in lopsided wins?

Wasn't on a punt was on 3rd down bad pitch wide went in EZ Ashe fell on it.

I would keep doing what you're doing. No need to play the starters anymore it's obvious they are good to go longer if needed. The Starmount game may be a game starters get more playing time.

Reactions: sbbbfan
I think taking them out early and eliminating as much risk for unnecessary injury is the best play for the teams success come playoffs. My only real concern about it is if taking them out so early and giving them so little play time will hurt some of their college prospects due to lack of film or exposure. I know Mason and Dandy have their offers and commitments, but I still wonder if it may hurt the others (Reid, Gallimore, O-line) from getting college offers for consideration or limiting their offers.

I don't worry about them being in game shape or conditioning, they are plenty ready for that.

I hear your concerns and understand, but, having been in the seat of a parent of a recruited player, the playoffs is where the scouts really look at players, and at camps.

Most scouts can tell in about 10 minutes whether or not they are interested in a player. They look at "other" things than total yardage, number of scores, etc. The very best things the coaches can do, in my opinion, are:
1. make sure as much as possibly the players head is on straight, and play each and every play to his fullest
2.that they are physically ready for the playoffs
3. the coaches clearly and truthfully describe their players to the recruiters, ie, are they playing out of position for the good of the team, what kind of person they are to classmates and teammates, what is their work ethic, and are they coachable
4. Coaches need to be willing to "call" schools and introduce them to the players he feels they should be watching.

And the last but I believe the most important is to explain how few high school players are true D1 players. Fact is most are not.
Also how great FSC schools and D2 and D3 programs are. Great educations, great experiences and great opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT