ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell wins. MA: total meltdown

NCTheOne

Feb 24, 2008
First off congratulations to Mitchell. Hope the best for your team the rest of the way.
As for the actual game, this was one of the ugliest I can remember. Refs practically dictated the game the entire second half and made this awful to watch. But...can’t blame them for everything because...
MA had a complete and total meltdown. MA had like 3 touchdowns called back on 3 different drives, failed to score on goaline drives (missing wide open receiver once and fumbled a snap on the 1), and the most 15 yard penalty calls I have ever seen. Complete and total loss of composure. The best way to sum up this game...MA gave it away. Yes, Mitchell won and did what they had to do. But MA gave this one away and had nobody to blame but themselves

First off congratulations to Mitchell. Hope the best for your team the rest of the way.
As for the actual game, this was one of the ugliest I can remember. Refs practically dictated the game the entire second half and made this awful to watch. But...can’t blame them for everything because...
MA had a complete and total meltdown. MA had like 3 touchdowns called back on 3 different drives, failed to score on goaline drives (missing wide open receiver once and fumbled a snap on the 1), and the most 15 yard penalty calls I have ever seen. Complete and total loss of composure. The best way to sum up this game...MA gave it away. Yes, Mitchell won and did what they had to do. But MA gave this one away and had nobody to blame but themselves
Blah blah blah. We get it. Mount Airy losing is a truly impossible outcome without the refs taking it away. Every year. Just end your post with "Congratulations to Mitchell."

MA had East Surry (currently undefeated and fighting for a spot in next week’s 2A west championship) on schedule this year, but game was canceled because of COVID-19 amongst ES players and MA played Draughn instead. MA has ES scheduled next year. Was the first time I can remember that MA and ES didn’t play.
As for what I wrote, you’re correct that Mitchell won. Not taking that away. Just saying MA beat themselves far more through their own boneheaded uncontrolled selfishness. Was the most unsportsmanlike penalties I think I have ever seen. And sure, you could argue that this was due to not having a stronger schedule. Not making excuses for the loss. Just pointing out the truth of what happened. Maybe the young players on the MA roster will learn from this and grow up.
And once again, safe travels to Mitchell and hope they do well the rest of the way

Mt Airy needs to quit fooling with Surry Central North Surry and keep East Surry we need some compition in the none conference season we scored 3 tds called back tonight oh well it is what it is

Sometimes it's about the gate and in county games bring a ton of money and don't cost alot to run 2-3 buses. Depending on what the county charges per mile it can cost $500-1000 to run buses if you take cheer leaders and band.

Mount Airy would do good to try and schedule a Watauga, Statesville, Carroll County, Mount Tabor, North Davidson, etc.

Sometimes though bigger schools won't play the small man. Scheduling isn't easy.

Sometimes it's about the gate and in county games bring a ton of money and don't cost alot to run 2-3 buses. Depending on what the county charges per mile it can cost $500-1000 to run buses if you take cheer leaders and band.

Mount Airy would do good to try and schedule a Watauga, Statesville, Carroll County, Mount Tabor, North Davidson, etc.

Sometimes though bigger schools won't play the small man. Scheduling isn't easy.
Your right about it being tough for smaller schools to schedule bigger schools. None of these 3a or 4a schools want to take the risk of losing to a 1A School. Of course once in awhile you'll get a 3a or 4a to play a 1a but it's hard to do

Number 1 should have been qb entire game. He was best player on offense. Refs were terrible. Ive never seen 3 sideline warnings in a game. On the unsportsmanlike on the kickoff tackle at end of the game the ref took 2 steps onto the bears sideline following the player that made the tackle like he was purposely waiting for him to say something. Ive never seen a ref follow a player before like that. Funniest moment of game was when mount airy threw mitchell players cleat that had fallen off to the sideline i laughed out loud at that.

Y’all Bear fans thought you closed the Gap on ES. Be sure to come to Shelby next week since y’all don’t have anymore football to play!!!
East Surry is the greatest of All time in Surry Co you keep winning you might want to think of Mt Airy trying to lure lowman up 52

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
21-14 is

Not Carroll Co. they couldn't beat the BEARS the few years they played and the last game at Carroll Co they lost and tried to start fights and they did not play anymore. That was what I heard. Maybe Someone there can eliberate.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Number 1 should have been qb entire game. He was best player on offense. Refs were terrible. Ive never seen 3 sideline warnings in a game. On the unsportsmanlike on the kickoff tackle at end of the game the ref took 2 steps onto the bears sideline following the player that made the tackle like he was purposely waiting for him to say something. Ive never seen a ref follow a player before like that. Funniest moment of game was when mount airy threw mitchell players cleat that had fallen off to the sideline i laughed out loud at that.
Yeah that was pretty comical.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
MA fumbled.on the 1 ft line threw ball short on 4 th and goal to wide open receiver. 7 TDs called back. Coach Adkins calls TO on 4th and goal for Mitchell then with 19 seconds left uses last TO with clock stopped. MA catches ball at 5 with 1.sec and no TOs ball game. MA ties it up with 19 seconds left but called back on penalty. Coaching didn't cause the loss but save them time outs man. Mitchell up front good. Hell of a job! MA holds them to 7 in 2 nd half just too many TDs called back. 7 unsportsman like penaltys should never happen Coach.

As far as MA fumble and dropped pass because it was short. The fumble looked like because a helmet on the ball he didn't just drop it and the pass was short because of the pressure on the QB..
The penalties killed them both holding on Mitchell and unsportsman on MA I thought just 2 called back but maybe I missed one but the screen that did could somehow a pickup flag on a block in the back but while no TD called back Mitchell had to dives at least were the holding killed what looked like a scoring drive.
Mistakes on both sides Mitchell one time ok but Mitchell should have been able to figure out that screen and one the MA drive referred to on the dropped shorten pass why did they take big #8 out for those 4 plays and Mitchell should have opened it up more like the 86 yard TD that over the middle pass was open all night just a short pass behind the linebackers is all you needed.
But sometimes you have to win ugly games this deep in the playoffs and one thing about it MA looking at their roster has a young team and will I believe only be better next year but their youth might be part of the problem tonight plus not a good example by the coach.

East Surry is the greatest of All time in Surry Co you keep winning you might want to think of Mt Airy trying to lure lowman up 52
Dang someone’s upset all that talk cheap when you can’t produce in the playoffs be glad you avoided East this year you’d have been home 2 weeks ago in the 2A field.

If he wanted to be at MA he would be that job was open at the same time he made his choice keep dreaming!!

And yes #1 for MA should been starting QB all season Gallimore is very good but you could see he is a sophomore and struggled at.times but will be very good. #1 is best player can score everyone touches it.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Y’all Bear fans thought you closed the Gap on ES. Be sure to come to Shelby next week since y’all don’t have anymore football to play!!!
We did remember you guys did not play us 2nd game on count of Covid you have should done like us if you are sick stay home we did not miss a damn game you gave up an opportunity for your awesome team to beat us just because you were afraid of a virus you are probably going to catch any way you can single out the left in Surry Co by there post

Reactions: sbbbfan
East avoided Mount Airy. No 10 days waiting. You played the week before Mount Airy and the week after. How did y'all get by with no 10 day waiting?
East didn’t play the week after West Stokes game was canceled too. Stop making yourself look dumber than you already did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT