ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell @ Andrew's

IDK who will win the SMC, but for Andrews to even be IN such a discussion is a refreshing change of pace we all got to admit. Best of luck to all SMC teams in 2021.
Most of the ones predicting exceptional things for Andrews are not from Andrews. It's unlikely we'll finish higher than 3rd in the SMC. Not impossible, but unlikely. The Murphy game will be at Andrews as well as the Cherokee game but Hayesville, Robbinsville and Swain are all on the road.

IDK who will win the SMC, but for Andrews to even be IN such a discussion is a refreshing change of pace we all got to admit. Best of luck to all SMC teams in 2021.
Agree with you.. everything has come together at the right time for the Cats. Great athletes, great coaching staff and always had the fan base. The important thing thats evident by their start Coach Phillips had taught them to Play to win instead of Play to not get beat. Big difference..The no quit has always been there . Again, congratulations Wildcats and fans you deserve all the positive attention that comes along with winning and doing it the right way..

The conference is about as even as it has been in a long time. I honestly thought Andrews could make a strong run to win the SMC next season but wasn’t expecting it this year. I’m interested to see how they do with brevard. Their skill players are good as any in the conference but I’m not convinced their line is but you have to respect what they’ve accomplished so far. Hard to take anything from the Murphy game, Rabun County would boat race any 1A team in the state. If you disagree give them a call, I’m sure they have an open date. Rville hasn’t played in 2 weeks. Not sure how rusty they’ll be. Swain seems improved and I agree that Cherokee has athletes. Should be some great conference games this year. I don’t think you can say any one team is a clear favorite at this point.

Agree with you.. everything has come together at the right time for the Cats. Great athletes, great coaching staff and always had the fan base. The important thing thats evident by their start Coach Phillips had taught them to Play to win instead of Play to not get beat. Big difference..The no quit has always been there . Again, congratulations Wildcats and fans you deserve all the positive attention that comes along with winning and doing it the right way..
I’ve said that same thing for many years !
We need to play to win instead of playing not to get beat ! Our coaches have been amazing and are getting every thing out of these young athletes that is possible

The conference is about as even as it has been in a long time. I honestly thought Andrews could make a strong run to win the SMC next season but wasn’t expecting it this year. I’m interested to see how they do with brevard. Their skill players are good as any in the conference but I’m not convinced their line is but you have to respect what they’ve accomplished so far. Hard to take anything from the Murphy game, Rabun County would boat race any 1A team in the state. If you disagree give them a call, I’m sure they have an open date. Rville hasn’t played in 2 weeks. Not sure how rusty they’ll be. Swain seems improved and I agree that Cherokee has athletes. Should be some great conference games this year. I don’t think you can say any one team is a clear favorite at this point.
If Robbinsville doesn't find some games they will have 5 weeks with no games. Andrews should beat Brevard.

I've held off on even mentioning this, but all I have heard for two years since Andrews momentum has been picking up is about the culture change that our coach has brought about. I believe that coach has done a fine job, and I wouldn't say anything negative about him. But the fact of the matter is, that last year's group, which was top tier in JVs, finished 3rd in the conference last season, and would have likely been a 8 or 9 win team last season if we had gotten to play non conference, along with this group of juniors this season who have been a force every season they've played and won, these two groups have ALWAYS played to win and felt they could win, and have never played "not to lose". The culture did not miraculously change with the coach, these two groups changed the culture from the time they were small through the support and work or both coaches that came before and the community around them. The winning mindset and capability was already there beginning years ago and they've carried that all the way through. Cutshaw or Rickett would have had equal success with these classes. And Coach has done well, and is deserving to reap the reward of many years before, so this is nothing to take away from his success. I hope it becomes even greater. But to say that coaching changed the culture is simply false and takes away from all of the effort and drive that these two groups of young men have had instilled in them for years. These young men and the community around them are responsible for changing the culture, period.
No offense but Cutshaw/Rickett had the best team Andrews had had in years in the 2011-2012 team. That team was as balanced and had as many athletes as any team in 1A that year but we underperformed due to coaching. Jordan Collins was a better back that Isaac Weaver. He had size, speed, and heart. Line was much bigger. QB was better. Receivers were better. But this years team will be a better team because of the coaching. Again I’m not taking away anything from this years Andrews team. They play with as much heart and determination as anyone out there and for that they will be rewarded. But coaching was the issue in 2012 and if we had the same coaches as we had then, would have the same problems.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I've held off on even mentioning this, but all I have heard for two years since Andrews momentum has been picking up is about the culture change that our coach has brought about. I believe that coach has done a fine job, and I wouldn't say anything negative about him. But the fact of the matter is, that last year's group, which was top tier in JVs, finished 3rd in the conference last season, and would have likely been a 8 or 9 win team last season if we had gotten to play non conference, along with this group of juniors this season who have been a force every season they've played and won, these two groups have ALWAYS played to win and felt they could win, and have never played "not to lose". The culture did not miraculously change with the coach, these two groups changed the culture from the time they were small through the support and work or both coaches that came before and the community around them. The winning mindset and capability was already there beginning years ago and they've carried that all the way through. Cutshaw or Rickett would have had equal success with these classes. And Coach has done well, and is deserving to reap the reward of many years before, so this is nothing to take away from his success. I hope it becomes even greater. But to say that coaching changed the culture is simply false and takes away from all of the effort and drive that these two groups of young men have had instilled in them for years. These young men and the community around them are responsible for changing the culture, period.
I respectfully disagree. We have had a lot of youth teams over many decades win and had hope of changing the culture in High School. I’ve seen game plans at the High School level play so conservative as to run the clock off as not to get beat bad instead of trying something new to win. 2 times up the middle and throw on 3rd down got old many years ago. I realize you play with the talent you have but you don’t go out there and say this is my system and this is all I know to do. Your system should be what works best with the athletes you have. Also in game adjustments or adding wrinkles to the offense or defense is so refreshing. Having said all this it really comes down to enjoying seeing these young men succeed.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Of course, if you don’t have the athletes it doesn’t matter if you have Bill Bellichek you’re not going to compete. I’ve watched Andrews from the seventies and I’ve seen a lot of big teams with good athletes not compete. You have to have both athletes and coaches. This can go for any sport not just football. You know you have the talent but you have to have that coach and system that brings the full potential together. I’m not disrespecting any former coaches and have no bad experience by saying what I’m trying to get at. Yes, this team has always won but in my 40 years I’ve seen a lot of teams in Andrews dominate at the youth level but that doesn’t always transition to Varsity and it should. But we haven’t always had the coaching to get the job done. Our enrollment is so low now it will be about impossible to consistently win. A lot of lost opportunities over the last 40 years when we did have the numbers. I wasn’t the one who said the culture has changed but we do have the right combination of athletes and coaches right now in my humble opinion

Of course, if you don’t have the athletes it doesn’t matter if you have Bill Bellichek you’re not going to compete. I’ve watched Andrews from the seventies and I’ve seen a lot of big teams with good athletes not compete. You have to have both athletes and coaches. This can go for any sport not just football. You know you have the talent but you have to have that coach and system that brings the full potential together. I’m not disrespecting any former coaches and have no bad experience by saying what I’m trying to get at. Yes, this team has always won but in my 40 years I’ve seen a lot of teams in Andrews dominate at the youth level but that doesn’t always transition to Varsity and it should. But we haven’t always had the coaching to get the job done. Our enrollment is so low now it will be about impossible to consistently win. A lot of lost opportunities over the last 40 years when we did have the numbers. I wasn’t the one who said the culture has changed but we do have the right combination of athletes and coaches right now in my humble opinion
Your kids were disciplined coached well you definitely have a shor

I meant no disrespect to cutshaw or Rickett in my previous post. I honestly wouldn’t know them if I saw them face to face. I’m just a SMC football fan and more importantly a Robbinsville fan. I do know that Andrews knocked off Swain last year and Mitchell this year, games they weren’t supposed to win but did and not by a last second miracle by dominating performances.. again, I don’t know the answer but prior to Phillips arrival name one game that Andrews ever did that ? I’ll go back to what I said earlier “ Andrews looks to be playing to win “ instead of “ not to get beat”. Like I’ve said it just my opinion and means nothing. But these kids from Andrews are playing a different game than the teams in the past and that is coaching !!!!!

And I'm not questioning the current coaching staffs ability. They've done a fine job. I'm simply stating the fact that the culture itself was changing several years before due to the mentality and effort of these particular groups and the coaches that came before that coached these last two classes. The culture didn't change with coach Phillips, these boys already had the ability and the mentality. The current coaching staff has done well in capitalizing on that. So yes, that is still a credit to them. But it did not start with them, nor are they solely responsible for "building this culture". Anyway, I can see that I'm the odd man out on this, so I'll move on.
It was tough for me to watch fri night, my son played in a regional championship his sophomore year, offense and defense had 5 tackles and around 40 yds rushing Andrews ain't no joke they're contender's Robbinsville and Murphy dreading them now, dumba5 Simmons picked us by 36? My cousin has coached against these kids for years in Hayesville and has told me how talented this group was, I still thought we'd pull it out, I was wrong he called fri night I had to say you were right on that king drive home, I had to say Mitchell by 7 but that's because I have one playing I honestly think losing our offensive coordinator to McDowell has hurt us, we dont have a replacement yet, I hope we can turn it around my son has 7 games left, lol

In all fairness, last year's Andrews team lost 10 kids to either transfer or other interests, all starters that freshman year, between 9th and 12th grade. Had that not occurred there is a good possibility that last year's Andrews team may have been the best Andrews team ever. But it is what it is and is irrelevant. I'll let y'all carry on lambasting each other

Talent-wise, maybe. But this group is better overall.

And I'm not questioning the current coaching staffs ability. They've done a fine job. I'm simply stating the fact that the culture itself was changing several years before due to the mentality and effort of these particular groups and the coaches that came before that coached these last two classes. The culture didn't change with coach Phillips, these boys already had the ability and the mentality. The current coaching staff has done well in capitalizing on that. So yes, that is still a credit to them. But it did not start with them, nor are they solely responsible for "building this culture". Anyway, I can see that I'm the odd man out on this, so I'll move on.

This current group is the only bunch out of Andrews that we've seen that have this kind of mindset. Kids don't change a culture, that's coaching. The stars have aligned for Andrews they have a coach and current crop that mesh, they both have high expectations and they play to win. Period. No offense to any previous classes, there have been some good ones. And no offense to any previous coaches, they've had some good ones (Rickett had a good track record). But Phillips has brought a different culture to Andrews and that's evident. It appears this bunch he has now have bought in to what he's selling.

This current group is the only bunch out of Andrews that we've seen that have this kind of mindset. Kids don't change a culture, that's coaching. The stars have aligned for Andrews they have a coach and current crop that mesh, they both have high expectations and they play to win. Period. No offense to any previous classes, there have been some good ones. And no offense to any previous coaches, they've had some good ones (Rickett had a good track record). But Phillips has brought a different culture to Andrews and that's evident. It appears this bunch he has now have bought in to what he's selling.
You said it !! The stars have aligned. We have a great mixture of coaches & players who meshed well. In the past ive seen Andrews run a spread offense when they had a huge line and great backs and only utilize one back when they should have been using a power run game. Also I have seen years when we tried to use a power run game when we should have spread people out. Coach Phillips and his staff has made the right adjustments. Having said all this let’s all remember we have only played 3 games. We haven’t even got to conference play so let’s be realistic. I’m not anywhere close to crowning this team with a championship. It’s going to be hard to make 3rd or 4th in the conference. What I’m saying is I like the direction this team and staff is heading in

You a little late on this post ain't you, the SMC is weak this year. I hope and bbn pray to the good lord above we get a rematch we got em all back healthy now, you saw that from the 62-14 beatdown dri night, after we spank Heritage its downhill till the 3rd round write it down

• Haha
Reactions: Cdoc73
You are a tool 2020 your kid brother is fat and slow, he can throw but that's it, Joey dont pass on Varsity he'll probably end up a lineman lol

• Wow
Reactions: BK13T-$
I bet you wish you had Gentry back, we will beat you by 4 scores in Ledger this year hopefully first round Robbinsville 1, Andrew's 2, and you will finish 3rd or 4th, I honestly think Hayesville might beat you good luck MORON

• Haha
Reactions: Cdoc73
I bet you wish you had Gentry back, we will beat you by 4 scores in Ledger this year hopefully first round Robbinsville 1, Andrew's 2, and you will finish 3rd or 4th, I honestly think Hayesville might beat you good luck MORON
Your absloutley out of your mind lmao

Reactions: Mbulld
It ain’t Murphy’s year but I doubt you’ll beat them if you meet them in the playoffs…..

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Your absloutley out of your mind lmao
We were picked to beat you by 38 by Simmons what he didn't know was 4 of 5 starting linemen were out, 2 skills out, guess what they are back, I promise you whether it here or there you won't like the rematch it will be ugly, Xander Gardner remember that name he has put 2 starting qbs out this year a stud think on it

30a.gif

We were picked to beat you by 38 by Simmons what he didn't know was 4 of 5 starting linemen were out, 2 skills out, guess what they are back, I promise you whether it here or there you won't like the rematch it will be ugly, Xander Gardner remember that name he has put 2 starting qbs out this year a stud think on it
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Mitchell is the one team outside the SMC that I feel like plays very similar football to what the SMC plays. That being said, the SMC is still your kryptonite. To be the best, you have to beat the best and Mitchell just hasn’t done that yet. If you do happen to beat 1 SMC team in the playoffs, it’s highly unlikely you beat 2.

The way it is looking, Heritage is the only team left in the way of a conference title for Mitchell so they will see post season play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT