ADVERTISEMENT

Lincolnton Coaching Search

Any way you cut it, he's behind on the calendar!

My priority would be on a Recruitment Coordinator. Our Northern Neighbors have a big head start!
I agree with the recruiting coordinator! We need to get more boosters to provide housing for kids in our district for kids to move into!

Our neighbors from "the biggest little football town" our kicking our tails on the recruiting trail!

Maybe Coach Angle will take on the roll of Calipari and get boosters to start paying these kids more than the other schools to get them to play!

If they hadn't ran into Todd Gurley in the state championship that year they beat anyone else in 2A. That was one of the top 2-3 teams of all time at Lincolnton IMO.
That game came down to whoever had the ball last and it was Tarboro. How many times was it fourth and a pretty significance distance and Tarboro went for it for Gurley just to get just enough for the first down? I was asking for just one stop. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but was he injured in that game? A precursor to things to come, but one of the best to ever tote the rock even if injuries did cut his career short and the NFL devaluing the position.

That game came down to whoever had the ball last and it was Tarboro. How many times was it fourth and a pretty significance distance and Tarboro went for it for Gurley just to get just enough for the first down? I was asking for just one stop. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but was he injured in that game? A precursor to things to come, but one of the best to ever tote the rock even if injuries did cut his career short and the NFL devaluing the position.
Had 2 high ankle sprains as I recall. We had shut down the top back from Thomasville, then Gurley was out with ankles...I'd have hated to play him while he was healthy.

My memory says we had the ball "last," near midfield with just under 2 minutes. We shut down Dee Littlejohn, and threw a couple on incomplete passes to give them back the ball with the lead ... So, I guess you're right. They did have it last, but didn't need to score. Not to say that if we'd scored with 5 seconds left to go ahead, that Gurley wouldn't have run it back. He was a beast.

My memory is suspect, and I'll accept correction without argument, lol.

*What was the Thomasville RBs name?

Had 2 high ankle sprains as I recall. We had shut down the top back from Thomasville, then Gurley was out with ankles...I'd have hated to play him while he was healthy.

My memory says we had the ball "last," near midfield with just under 2 minutes. We shut down Dee Littlejohn, and threw a couple on incomplete passes to give them back the ball with the lead ... So, I guess you're right. They did have it last, but didn't need to score. Not to say that if we'd scored with 5 seconds left to go ahead, that Gurley wouldn't have run it back. He was a beast.

Quanny Johnson. Over 3000 yards rushing that year. Played in the East West game and led the state in rushing, but Lincolnton held him to 59 yards.

You are correct. Play calling those last 2 minutes was abysmal. Tarboro had not stopped Dee all game either. Not sure why coach C would want to score with any time left on the clock. Give gurley enough time for 2 runs he probably breaks one of them. Even on 2 bum ankles. He was an animal.

You are correct. Play calling those last 2 minutes was abysmal. Tarboro had not stopped Dee all game either. Not sure why coach C would want to score with any time left on the clock. Give gurley enough time for 2 runs he probably breaks one of them. Even on 2 bum ankles. He was an animal.
I'll bet he'd run the Diesel if he could do it over. He was hitting on all cylinders, I agree.

I knew his numbers were huge, but not that huge. Dang!
I had a lot of “discussion” that year with the Tarboro folks over who should be 2A player of the year. It was (and still is) my opinion that Gurley got it off his recruitabilty, not his performance for that season. The Tarboro folks said that he split time with other backs, so didn’t get the numbers. True. But Quanny got 3,000 yards when everybody in the stadium knew he was carrying the ball. The Wolves were the only team to come close to stopping him all year. He also had quite a few receiving yards.

For what it’s worth, the next year Gabe Brockett led the state with over 3500 yards. Ironically, Quanny was a converted receiver and Gabe a converted linebacker, so each only played running back one year. And neither total is in the state record books, as is true with a lot of performances across the state.

OC, you would’ve had a good argument for Johnson or Brockett. Both were the traditional workhorse running backs of a power offense which was used by Thomasville and Coach Brown. As predictable as it seemed which I’m sure it wasn’t, the Bulldogs would have a powerful back who was going to run at you over and over. If you couldn’t beat their line and then stop him you were going to lose.
For me, it’s satisfying to remember 2011 but as much as I’d like to I can’t forget 2012 when Thomasville thumped our Wolves 55-14.
How depressing it was to sit there and know what the next play was going to be and knowing still there’s nothing we could do about it.
This year’s East Duplin team reminded of them. It takes a special kind of running back and a special kind of coach to shape and condition someone for it.

I had a lot of “discussion” that year with the Tarboro folks over who should be 2A player of the year. It was (and still is) my opinion that Gurley got it off his recruitabilty, not his performance for that season. The Tarboro folks said that he split time with other backs, so didn’t get the numbers. True. But Quanny got 3,000 yards when everybody in the stadium knew he was carrying the ball. The Wolves were the only team to come close to stopping him all year. He also had quite a few receiving yards.

For what it’s worth, the next year Gabe Brockett led the state with over 3500 yards. Ironically, Quanny was a converted receiver and Gabe a converted linebacker, so each only played running back one year. And neither total is in the state record books, as is true with a lot of performances across the state.
Brockett...the Growling Bulldog game...best hair in every stadium...ran past linebackers...foiled only by field crew hijinx

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS NOT TRUE...Our new leader Head Coach Jaden Angle has released and told both Coach Holbrook and Coach Cloninger, on his second day of the job, their assistants and coaching duties are no longer needed???? PLEASE TELL ITS NOT TRUE??? And If this is so, why? Thoughts process? Please everyone share...again coming from, even more now, concern parents...

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS NOT TRUE...Our new leader Head Coach Jaden Angle has released and told both Coach Holbrook and Coach Cloninger, on his second day of the job, their assistants and coaching duties are no longer needed???? PLEASE TELL ITS NOT TRUE??? And If this is so, why? Thoughts process? Please everyone share...again coming from, even more now, concern parents...
Sounds like someone is cleaning the house

Interesting.

Reactions: AlwaysAWolf
Interesting.
Best wishes to both Coach Cloninger and Coach Holbrook. Appreciation for what each has given to the program. (If I'm either of them, I wouldn't want my confidential convos splashed on message boards, though).

And best wishes to Coach Angle. Looks like he's betting on himself. (If I'm him, I wouldn't want my confidential conversations splashed on message boards, though).

Wolves Football is bigger, and will outlast all of us and them. I'll bet coaches live 24/7 with the idea that there's no guarantees in coaching. Sure seems that way after watching Sportscenter this morning, anyway.

We have a new coach of the Lincolnton Wolves! He'd better get used to having 100 percent of his decisions questioned! I'm hoping he's right 100 percent of the time! Time will tell.

Go Wolves!!

Best wishes to both Coach Cloninger and Coach Holbrook. Appreciation for what each has given to the program. (If I'm either of them, I wouldn't want my confidential convos splashed on message boards, though).

And best wishes to Coach Angle. Looks like he's betting on himself. (If I'm him, I wouldn't want my confidential conversations splashed on message boards, though).

Wolves Football is bigger, and will outlast all of us and them. I'll bet coaches live 24/7 with the idea that there's no guarantees in coaching. Sure seems that way after watching Sportscenter this morning, anyway.

We have a new coach of the Lincolnton Wolves! He'd better get used to having 100 percent of his decisions questioned! I'm hoping he's right 100 percent of the time! Time will tell.

Go Wolves!!
Well said!

I believe Coach Angle is trying to bring in a new culture at Lincolnton.

I also believe that it would be hard for them to fall in line behind Coach Angle seeing how he played for them not too many years ago.

Coach C has been around for a long time which is why the Locker Room at Lincolnton is named after him. I believe it to be a little bit of a conflict of interest seeing how Coach C's son is now on Varsity and was the starting QB on JV last year. Of course any parent, no matter how long they coached and would seem to understand these decisions, would want their son to take the next step and play QB for Varsity even though the QB from last year is coming back and has been a starter on Varsity since his freshman year.

I will give Coach Angle all the support and not question any decisions made on week 1 of him taking over until we see how it plays out on the field!

Go Wolves!

Go Wolves!!
Well said. Coach Cloninger and Coach Holbrook have given everything they have to the program and their loyalty has never been in question, they will be missed. I have to admit I find it rather distasteful to throw around these conversations on a message board.

It will be interesting to see how Coach Angle fills out his staff. Will he hire a OC and DC? Will he hire coaches who have been around the block, or will there be a youth movement on the sidelines of Von Ray Harris Field this fall?

I, for one, am excited for this new era of Wolfpack football.

Well said!

I also believe that it would be hard for them to fall in line behind Coach Angle seeing how he played for them not too many years ago.

Coach C has been around for a long time which is why the Locker Room at Lincolnton is named after him. I believe it to be a little bit of a conflict of interest seeing how Coach C's son is now on Varsity and was the starting QB on JV last year. Of course any parent, no matter how long they coached and would seem to understand these decisions, would want their son to take the next step and play QB for Varsity even though the QB from last year is coming back and has been a starter on Varsity since his freshman year.

I will give Coach Angle all the support and not question any decisions made on week 1 of him taking over until we see how it plays out on the field!

Go Wolves!
One has to wonder what will happen with that dynamic.

Well said. Coach Cloninger and Coach Holbrook have given everything they have to the program and their loyalty has never been in question, they will be missed. I have to admit I find it rather distasteful to throw around these conversations on a message board.

It will be interesting to see how Coach Angle fills out his staff. Will he hire a OC and DC? Will he hire coaches who have been around the block, or will there be a youth movement on the sidelines of Von Ray Harris Field this fall?

Yep. That.

They were very loyal and have been around for a long time now!

I do think that there will be a youth movement if I had to guess! I think it will all be for the better of the program in the long run.

All this will blow over.. Humans don't take change well but Lincolnton hasn't been the consistent power they used to be in too long of a time! Its time we get back to the Lincolnton standard. I think a change is exactly what the program needs right now!

So what I'm reading is there may be a QB available ?? Boy that would be something if a Lincolnton legend moved to maiden and brought his son 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️😂😂😂
There you are, AMD! Wouldn't that be something!

Fan1 paints quite the picture of conflict here! I'd expect all 12 of the posters on here to jump in with both feet, speculating! I know I would, if it were Maiden or another rival, lol.

Fan1 may be able to help you further! I wouldn't dare😀.

There you are, AMD! Wouldn't that be something!

Fan1 paints quite the picture of conflict here! I'd expect all 12 of the posters on here to jump in with both feet, speculating! I know I would, if it were Maiden or another rival, lol.

Fan1 may be able to help you further! I wouldn't dare😀.
The question is was any good at QB 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: AlwaysAWolf
I don't know the name at the moment that I was told we had a Newton coach come to Maiden.. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Wolf4Lyfe, thanks for posting this article from the Lincoln Times-News.
Coach Angle has a good vision for Lincolnton football, and I’m glad he said something about God.

It also mentions he is the youngest Lincolnton head coach in the past 50 years. If they meant head football coach then he is the youngest that I can remember and I’ll be two hundred, next summer, we’ll, almost.

Going off memory only, but I’m thinking Coach Harris was the youngest HC until he was displaced by Coach Angle, this week.

Coach Harris’ first season was 1958 (again, memory only). I know he was born in 1924, which would have made him around 34 when he began, here.

All the best to Coach Angle and his family.

Get their stats together and send then to James Alverson at the NCHSAA to be recognized.

Get their stats together and send then to James Alverson at the NCHSAA to be recognized.
Thanks Cheerduck. Been done. Apparently, it has to come from the AD, who wasn’t AD then. I’ll leave it at that. Lot of Thomasville stats not there, including Allen Brown’s 331 wins at Thomasville, first in history for same school. One ahead of his good friend, Tom Brown. Having said that, there may be somebody ahead of both. The NCHSAA record book is great, but it’s only a compilation of stats based on having a good statistician and getting them turned in. Some schools do that better than others.

Thanks Cheerduck. Been done. Apparently, it has to come from the AD, who wasn’t AD then. I’ll leave it at that. Lot of Thomasville stats not there, including Allen Brown’s 331 wins at Thomasville, first in history for same school. One ahead of his good friend, Tom Brown. Having said that, there may be somebody ahead of both. The NCHSAA record book is great, but it’s only a compilation of stats based on having a good statistician and getting them turned in. Some schools do that better than others.
That stinks. Admin needs to see that the AD do it. History informs, and motivates. All those achievements should be recorded to honor those people and programs, and also so that the next great achievement is properly measured and appreciated. Dang. The record books mean nothing if records aren't recorded.

Well said!

Go Wolves!
If Coach Angle fired them because he felt like they were no longer the best options for an assistant coach role, then he made the right decision.

If Coach Angle just fired two of the best assistant coaches on the staff, because he felt threatened by them or didn’t feel like he could manage them as the head coach, then the program just got worse and Lincolnton will probably be looking for yet another head coach in a few years.

I don’t know whether it was the right decision or the wrong decision, but time will tell. The best head coaches hire the best assistant coaches they can find even if they are more experienced or in some cases even a better coach. They know it will ultimately make them better as a head coach and make the team better.

If Coach Angle fired them because he felt like they were no longer the best options for an assistant coach role, then he made the right decision.

If Coach Angle just fired two of the best assistant coaches on the staff, because he felt threatened by them or didn’t feel like he could manage them as the head coach, then the program just got worse and Lincolnton will probably be looking for yet another head coach in a few years.

I don’t know whether it was the right decision or the wrong decision, but time will tell. The best head coaches hire the best assistant coaches they can find even if they are more experienced or in some cases even a better coach. They know it will ultimately make them better as a head coach and make the team better.
I don’t think he is threatened by them. He is fully confident in his abilities. He just doesn’t want the distraction. Which is definitely for the betterment of the program in my opinion.

That stinks. Admin needs to see that the AD do it. History informs, and motivates. All those achievements should be recorded to honor those people and programs, and also so that the next great achievement is properly measured and appreciated. Dang. The record books mean nothing if records aren't recorded.
Frankly, part of it is that Coach Brown was AD for a long time. He cared nothing for individual records, especially his own. But, for a while, there was an assistant coach who made sure to turn stats in to the association. And, of course, it was well known that Coach Brown and the NCHSAA didn’t always agree. So, he’s not in their record books, but finally made it to their Hall of Fame.
Then there is the long list of principals and superintendents that came along after Keith Tobin retired. Keith had coached under Allen and valued how athletics can help turn out better citizens. After him, not so much.
I feel pretty sure there are many other stats from other schools that should be there. That’s why I take the record book with a grain of salt.

Frankly, part of it is that Coach Brown was AD for a long time. He cared nothing for individual records, especially his own. But, for a while, there was an assistant coach who made sure to turn stats in to the association. And, of course, it was well known that Coach Brown and the NCHSAA didn’t always agree. So, he’s not in their record books, but finally made it to their Hall of Fame.
Then there is the long list of principals and superintendents that came along after Keith Tobin retired. Keith had coached under Allen and valued how athletics can help turn out better citizens. After him, not so much.
I feel pretty sure there are many other stats from other schools that should be there. That’s why I take the record book with a grain of salt.
I would think that the NCHSAA, with as much money as it's taken in and is taking in, could not place an employee in a position to maintain the record books for all sports. That person could do research and also manage the future results as they become available.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT