ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting meeting tonight!

We'll in regards to incorrect data that is what the BOE is using in regards to these plans. They are using research from 2005 and that information is irrevelant today. Additionally in regards to anson and albemarle that is funny because I was being nice when talking about anson. AHS does not look bad additionally compared to NSHS and WSHS it looks nice IMHO.

The people are in general against this option A or option B therefore the board should take notice. All are for a change to have better academics. They ALL want their community schools by majority from what I have seen. They by majority that I have seen are for a tax for the schools only BUT want to see a budget on allocation of funds which the board has repeatedly said they don't have. How can the community be involved when the BOE and SCS are not being forth coming with information.

A magnet school is not the answer like I said if the early college is being culturely bias then they need to be dealt with accordingly and they definitely don't deserve funding from our schools, which I am assuming they are getting?

The one thing I have noticed is a lot of questions are being asked and the BOE and SCS don't have answers and are not being forth coming with information which means they have not some their homework/or are being shady to cover agendas and if this plan has been in place for a long time they are terrible and should not be in the positions they are in. Shame on them.

Additionally, I am watching this very closely because of right now if this goes through I know 3 kids that won't be going here next year.

BOE basically wants trust that this is the right thing to do with no facts to back it up and even more facts supporting this is not the way to go. In addition the inability to provide answers reports and facts worries me. It shows a inability to lead and the inability to ensure that the steps taken are the best direction for our kids and their academics. This process highlights one of the problems we have in our schools. The inability of the central office to provide resources that our teachers need to be successful.

I am a concerned parent that is open for change and wants the best academically for my kids and this is not the way to accomplish that task. Academics needs to be number one.

Maybe just maybe we need to look at successful states and see what they are doing instead of constantly just throwing shit against the wall and see what sticks with nothing to back up our recommendations or solutions.

Lets make changes but let's take our time and study the options. Let's send in some people to these districts who have schools of excellence and see what the are doing that we are not. Everybody wants better academics.

Honestly, I don't see this happening. Some may think that this is the nail in the coffin and the deal is done, but I don't think so. I will stick with my "Gut" feeling until they prove me wrong. I will admit that some schools will eventually get closed, that is the reality too it.

"Questions Presented at NAACP Meeting
February 12, 2015
1. Which teachers, administrators, and community members were included in the creation of the proposal?
Answer: None"

This means your starting point for any proposal is a recipe for disaster. Even if it is a good idea to close AHS there will a lot of resentment and anger when you implement a decision like this without input from the community, teachers, students, and parents.[/I]

"If anybody believes that a maganet school will increase Albemarle's economy and be a "Beacon" for excellence to attract businesses here are idiots, and I'm kinda sorry to say that....but it's a fact."

I agree with this. When/if the school is reopened as a Magnet School the first people to return will come back because of geography, not the academic programs offered. Is there anybody who really believes that a strong academic student from West Stanly is going to transfer to a magnet school in Albemarle? Does anybody think a kid is going to leave the Early College or Gray Stone and transfer to this? My prediction: when the administration sees that nobody is coming except for the original AHS students there will be all kinds of gimmicks (some may be expensive) put in the school to try to attract students like a specific vocational program (for example, moving the Health Occupations Program to the magnet school forcing those who want the CNA certificate to attend there or starting an expensive Robotics program to get a few kids). Another example of a strategy to get students could be to move programs like band/chorus to the magnet and eliminate them at other high schools. Another similar strategy would be to eliminate AP classes at the other three schools and consolidate and offer them only at the magnet school. (If this is the plan and will save a bunch of money then say so) This is what I foresee for the magnet school - they will have to force and recruit students to come from the other schools. The STEM part of this is a joke and public relations stunt unless they do it like I said above with the AP classes being only available at AHS-Magnet. Academic scholarships to four year colleges are based almost entirely on GPA, class rank, and ACT or SAT scores. If these top students are pulled out of their high school to go to AHS-Magnet and their rank & GPA is swirled around in a new school some students could lose out. There are a plethora of considerations like this when you start something like this and I guessing many thing have not been discussed at all. Will AHS-M have an athletics program? FFA? HOSA? Band? ROTC? Art? These are the activities that bind students to their school. Maybe it will all work out great if they do it but the school board and commissioners are playing with fire if they are going to make this major change without a more specific plan than what I have read about. If this is a financial or demographic situation just say so don't and don't blow a bunch of smoke about a STEM magnet school. I think you will see just a bunch of teachers and programs shuffled around. If that will save money or provide better educational opportunities for students then explain that to to the community.

[/I]

[/I]

Originally posted by bichromate:

Some legitimate questions. My question has been, will this be a true academic magnet school that is truly stringent academically or will students that are marginal academically be allowed in to fill seats. It may start out with lessened qualifying standards and advance from there. I personally think it could succeed if it is a stringent academic institution but it would take many years to get to the 570 level if they go that route and I am not sure if that would be the best thing for the rest of the county schools. I do think you would see some Stanly County students that go to Grey Stone opt for AHS and possibly some from outside Stanly County request a transfer and pay a county tuition charge if that is allowed.

One of the issues at the early college is the socio-economic aspect of acceptance. I would like more info on this program such as how it is funded by the federal, state, and county government. Are they turning students away that apply due to capacity and those students not meeting academic or socio-economic criteria.

As far as college acceptance relating to grades, GPA, class rank it also has much to do with the school, classes taken, and other participation factors. Grey Stone is an example. The Big 4 privates in Charlotte are examples. Albemarle in its current academic situation is not a strong school. I can assure anyone a "A" at one school is not an "A" at all schools.

I find this to be one of the most intriguing political scenarios seen in Stanly County.

I think you are crazy to think students would leave gray stone to go to the magnet with no sports same thinking for the early college because of it being such a clickish community. The magnet won't get to 570 with no sports program and then if you do offer sports you basically have AHS under a different name with more programs. Then comes the questions why close AHS in the first place and add resources. After all you are looking at putting additional resources to The magnet so why not do it with redistricting so AHS and other court schools can be successful. Wonder how many students goto west stanly that really should be in AHS? I'm talking about the kids on the west side where WS district comes into the city limits.

Posted by Btango:

"The board was just voted in last election and each member ran from a platform for change with some pinpointing academics and past inaction by the board to correct the issues that are now faced."

Once last thing before my weekend kicks off, I can guarantee that if any of those boards members "Blurted" out or based their campaign on closing down AHS along with other schools to better the education in Stanly County, I can almost 1000% guarantee that the only surviving member of this past vote would be Melvin Poole and the "Other Guy". I guess telling white lies is what politicians are made of....they must go to sleep with a book called "How to Bamboozle The Majority".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT