ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting meeting tonight!

Buddy Rich

May 24, 2005
The Stanly County Board of Education and the County Commissioners will have a joint meeting tonight at 7 at the commons. Should be a hugh turnout of people that are upset over what is about to happen. Remember the board is scheduled to vote next month on the future of all the SC schools. Think this meeting will be mainly decussions between the 2 boards with some input from some citizens groups. Look for a lot of people to be there. Stay tuned.

Some schools may get shut down, but as far as Albemarle getting shut down.....I don't believe that it will happen. I have never seen so many people who are happy to shut down a school let alone Albemarle. I guess we shouldn't of had our "Noses" stuck up in the air for so many years and totally dominated the rest of Stanly County Schools in just about every sport imaginable lol. But all jokes aside, it won't happen....

That's great news. What was said to give you that impression? In all seriousness we as a community should never push back in regards to funding for our schools. The more successful ALL I our schools are the more successful our county is.

Just my Gut feeling Nation. And if they do, the entire school board will be voted out. I mean, it's like putting a gun to your "Own Head" and pulling the trigger. What were these idiots thinking. You will see a dramatic decline in the student body. There will be an increase in home schooling and/or parents enrolling their children elsewhere. I drive right past Queens Grant Community School K-12 everyday. I wouldn't hesitate to yank mines.

The sad part is unless they are renting a home as opposed to owning a home moving is not that simple; because homes are not selling.

Very small percentage of Albemarle's current student body would opt for home schooling. Do not see that happening. Other school options would be a more viable response but what would be the options for students that are not happy with the NE and SW planned schools?

I think many of the current school board members expect to be voted out if they even plan to run again. Everyone of them ran on a campaign for change and this is what they are attempting to do. They are of the opinion if something drastic does not happen the situation will deteriorate farther but nothing will still be done due to the strength of one area and their ability in the past to control the board.

The bottom line is to get the county commissioners to provide more money so that is not a reason to shut the schools because right now that is a big part of the equation. Former commissioner David Morgan brought up some very good points but they are slanted to his past history and involvement and may not be as readily accepted by the current commissioners. The board appears to have a good case for change based on the finances but if those are improved that case is diminished.

Will be interesting.

Originally posted by exsshs:
The sad part is unless they are renting a home as opposed to owning a home moving is not that simple; because homes are not selling.
When Rocky River HS opened in Mint Hill splitting up the Butler and Indy district heard a lot of people say this but due to the economy they could not sell their homes. The ones that were able to move were renters. Have seen for twenty years students that live in rentals move around often by choice to get to the school they want to be at. Homeowners, unless financially well off, were not able to make the move they wanted. Tough to sell a home in Albemarle right now for what the homeowner would probably want or need.

I agree btango. Show me the money and everything changes. By the way did the commissioners cut spending for the school system?

A large portion of the student body at Albemarle lives at Amhurst and I don't see them moving. I've been kind of curious how many and what grades are the children of Lorie Ivey. She seems to be the one who started all the talk about change at Albemarle and is the spokesperson for this group. I'll be the first to agree that some changes need to be made at all the schools , not just Albemarle but to close down a school that's been here as long as Albemarle seems a bit drastic to me.

I have said this before. I have not talked to one person who is not for better academics or thinks no changes to be made. With that being said priority #1 it seems is not academics rather other agendas. Consolidation has PROVEN repeatedly that it does not work. There are fundamental reasons and changes to be made in order to better the academic state of this county. My problem is they are not addressing those needs. You can add 2 magnets and 30 more AP course and that is not going to solve the problems we have. These AP courses they are discussing are readily available at our county schools AND online. We have the early college that received an A on the state report card with 200 students. Instead of working to better that and add programs to that we want to start a NEW magnet school and yet waste more money we don't have.

I have a couple of questions as I am coming from a parents prospective here.

1). What's the track record of consolidating schools? Any schools with similar demographics successful if so which ones?

2). Our early college has 200 students currently where in the world do they think 540 will come from for the magnet?

3) early college got an A so it is successful this if in fact it happens WILL have a negative impact on that program, correct?

4) why aren't those kids enrolled in the home district schooll they reside? And just apart of that program so they may be involved in all school activities?

5) Why not keep the schools as is of course east albemarle is in need of repair so consolidate that, redistrict ACS and look to implement these art programs in our schools and look to improve our early college to a post secondary opp where these kids can graduate from their home schools with a associates degree and a diploma?

I have more but in a hurry will post more later. I will say this we should vote for the .25% sales tax and that should ONLY be applied to the schools and the schools alone. We as a community should NEVER push back when it comes to the education of our children.

Dogs9 where did you get that information from? A large part of kids at Albemarle "Don't" live in Amhurst....you mean to tell me out of a student body of 470 235 are coming from Amhurst? I can guarantee that only about 50 HS children are attending AHS that are from Big Bad "Amhurst". And if that was is the case then winning State Championships for the past 10 years wouldn't have been an issue. Because we "All" know where the children that carry the Football and Basketball teams on their back came from....and I can only think of 1 who didn't.

I think the proper geographical point may be more South Albemarle than Amhearst. A lot of the students live in what many term "South Albemarle" and I think they may be the ones that do suffer on this but then again I think they are suffering academically now. If 50 students attending Albemarle HS do live in Amhearst that is a large percentage for that small of a section of town but not unexpected based on other towns. Regardless of where a student resides they all deserve to have their best interest looked out for.

I applaud Lori Ivey for being a parent that has gotten involved and stood up. Regardless of your position on this she has shown courage in my opinion. It is too bad people did not stand up when redistricting was refused, when East fell farther into disrepair, or when two new high schools would have been the best choice for the future instead of new middle schools.

Originally posted by bulldog nation2014:
I have said this before. I have not talked to one person who is not for better academics or thinks no changes to be made. With that being said priority #1 it seems is not academics rather other agendas. Consolidation has PROVEN repeatedly that it does not work. There are fundamental reasons and changes to be made in order to better the academic state of this county. My problem is they are not addressing those needs. You can add 2 magnets and 30 more AP course and that is not going to solve the problems we have. These AP courses they are discussing are readily available at our county schools AND online. We have the early college that received an A on the state report card with 200 students. Instead of working to better that and add programs to that we want to start a NEW magnet school and yet waste more money we don't have.

I have a couple of questions as I am coming from a parents prospective here.

1). What's the track record of consolidating schools? Any schools with similar demographics successful if so which ones?

2). Our early college has 200 students currently where in the world do they think 540 will come from for the magnet?

3) early college got an A so it is successful this if in fact it happens WILL have a negative impact on that program, correct?

4) why aren't those kids enrolled in the home district schooll they reside? And just apart of that program so they may be involved in all school activities?

5) Why not keep the schools as is of course east albemarle is in need of repair so consolidate that, redistrict ACS and look to implement these art programs in our schools and look to improve our early college to a post secondary opp where these kids can graduate from their home schools with a associates degree and a diploma?

I have more but in a hurry will post more later. I will say this we should vote for the .25% sales tax and that should ONLY be applied to the schools and the schools alone. We as a community should NEVER push back when it comes to the education of our children.
1. I do not know of any recently of this approximate size. The last one I remember would be Sylva Webster (2A) and Cullowhee (1A) becoming Smokey Mountain. I am sure South Stanly folks remember Syvla Webster from back in the day! Great producers of athletic talent.

2 and 4. I have spoken with and heard from parents that wanted a better curriculum at Albemarle and would not have sent the child to SCC EC. One said it was a tough choice due to lack of athletics but better long term for the student who made the final decision. Stated Albemarle HS did not have enough students to have interest for the curriculum. Basically you have answered your question, bad academics and sports did not override their desire for strong academics for them specifically.

3. What will be the curriculum differences is the first question. Obviously there will not be a college associates degree involved at the magnet but AP classes allowing the student to be able to advance into their major faster. From what I have been told by an administrator at SCC almost all students take five school years to get the associates.

4. The only way based on what we are seeing to keep the schools as is and offer more academic options is to have a larger budget.

5. Key word is "redistrict". If there will be no redistricting I think the extreme measure is the only answer. What is in place now will return us to the same point in the near future.

6. If the sales tax does not get voted in what is the option?

Thanks Btango. I should have said South Albemarle and I meant no disrespect Sway. I want to see Albemarle stay open as a regular school but it does need some improvements. They published the county report card in the SNAP on Sunday and Albemarle Middle and Albemarle High School were given both D's. In their defense no other high school had grades higher than a C. It seems like improvements could be made at all the schools.

Albemarle thanks for giving me good toilet reading material in the offseason. Keep up the good work.

A magnet is counter productive to the early college. I know what the early college is with the 5yrs but there is a post secondary opp program that gives you a associates when you graduate hs and it's done through your local community college but the kids are still enrolled in their homeschool and can play athletics. Multiple states use it. Look at ohios post secondary opp we need to get that instilled here. Invest and expand what we are doing with the early college expand more programs through the schools and redistrict.

I hear money money but Very little academics talk on how the fundamental problems will get solved.

The consolidated school you mentioned what was the grade on the state report card compared to previous ones before the consolidation?
This post was edited on 2/10 7:23 PM by bulldog nation2014

A magnet is counter productive to the early college. I know what the early college is with the 5yrs but there is a post secondary opp program that gives you a associates when you graduate hs and it's done through your local community college but the kids are still enrolled in their homeschool and can play athletics. Multiple states use it. Look at ohios post secondary opp we need to get that instilled here. Invest and expand what we are doing with the early college expand more programs through the schools and redistrict.

I hear money money but Very little academics talk on how the fundamental problems will get solved.

The consolidated school you mentioned what was the grade on the state report card compared to previous ones before the consolidation?
This post was edited on 2/10 7:23 PM by bulldog nation2014
That was in the late 1980's so there would not have been any grades as we have now. The 1960's, 70's, and 80's saw consolidation from the small community and rural schools, often K-12 in the earlier days, to larger 9-12 schools.

I fear that money is a big part of this issue with a magnet school or just straight redistricting and no schools or no high schools closing. Remember the budget is $12 million less than about five years ago. I would think that has something to do with some of the issues that are being faced.

Personally I think the students that opt for the magnet school will be challenged and graduate high school as more prepared and better students. The ones that are average students at Albemarle may be pushed to do better or may fall behind as they face more "competition". A problem student or trouble maker is probably going to be the same regardless where they go unless they run into a very influential person at the new school.

Currently I do not know of the program you are referencing for remaining at the high school and getting the associates. The LEA has no control over what the state will setup for the community college programs but can have some influence.

Not really. I am actually pretty shocked at what's going on here and the dramatic swing with the plans. Also didn't not to long ago anson co combine hs? About post secondary opp I will post a link that gives info on it.

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ809439.pdf. This gives an overview and history. You can research on your own as well.

In no way shape or form should they be inside the city limits of albemarle. Actually albemarle high should go a couple of miles out that way.

In no way shape or form should they be inside the city limits of albemarle. Actually albemarle high should go a couple of miles out that way.
City limits should have nothing to do with the district lines. This is "whole" county system and the districting should be done without regard to a line drawn by a politician and administrators not in the school system.

Not really. I am actually pretty shocked at what's going on here and the dramatic swing with the plans. Also didn't not to long ago anson co combine hs? About post secondary opp I will post a link that gives info on it.
Anson County HS has been around for a long time. Not sure when the school on Highway 74 opened. Previously the school was on Highway 52 (I think that is correct). It also changed names from Wadesboro Bowman to Anson and before Bowman was Wadesboro High School (or Senior High School).

Anson may have had some smaller community schools but they were swallowed up most likely in the 1960's like Stanly County was.

It should when the school taking part of said city is 15 miles away lol. I didn't say anything about NS. But no way should WS be in Albemarle city limits. Regardless of politicians or not albemarle is the main city school here in Albemarle not West Stanly. Really West Stanly has Locust they should split the distance between WS and Albemarle and call that the district line. If we are as you say a "true county" system why does WS have so much of the county and same with NS.

Very interesting overview of the joint meeting. Check it out share your thoughts.

https://www.facebook.com/angela.d.laws/posts/996898873673655

It should when the school taking part of said city is 15 miles away lol. I didn't say anything about NS. But no way should WS be in Albemarle city limits. Regardless of politicians or not albemarle is the main city school here in Albemarle not West Stanly. Really West Stanly has Locust they should split the distance between WS and Albemarle and call that the district line. If we are as you say a "true county" system why does WS have so much of the county and same with NS.
The geographical size of the district is not the issue. South has a large district also. I do not think the district lines need to even to be split in the middle of the two schools but it needs to expand outward. Eventually it may need to expand further out from the Albemarle.

One thing that bothers me is that there are too many personal attacks and they come mostly from the group not wanting any schools to close. One of the best men I know is Lonnie Chandler and what he said and was referencing in the meeting last week has been taken out of context and ridiculed but it was made to explain what he fears. So just to clear it up, the Little Rock School District came out with rules on what type of undergarments must be worn by school staff to include bras, hose, briefs, et al. Also noted was no spandex. Soon after this ruling which followed several issues with academics, budgets, violence, and other things in the system the State of Arkansas took over the school system. His point was that something needed to be done or the fear was the state would start dictating to SCS. He has a point. Unfortunately everyone wants to twist it to meet their agenda and ridicule a guy that coached, taught, and volunteered way beyond the norm.

Unfortunately personal attacks seem to be a part of politics. It happens to school board members all the way up to the President. Anyone who runs for public office should know that it comes with the job. It can really get ugly when decisions have to be made concerning people's children.As far as people bashing Lonnie Chandler I was always taught if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all.

I'm sorry where was the personal attacks? I read again this morning and didn't see any personal attacks. The harshest thing I noticed is when she felt like they were being addressed as if they weren't intelligent. However it was asked where the $3 million came from as they have been making inprovements to some of these schools and the number was from 2005. It was stated that atleast at Oakboro since 2008 that upgraded had been made.

PEOPLE SHOULD KEEP THEIR WORDS SWEET AS THEY MAY HAVE TO EAT THEM ,BUTS ITS AWFUL HARD TO DO SOMETIMES

I'm in the process of taking all this info in and trying to shift through it. One point from last nights meeting is if you close all these schools and the additions that will have to be made at NS and WS to handle the extra students is a wash. In other words no saving of money. Since funds to run the school system have fallen sometime like 12 millions dollars in the last 5 years, there is a real issue of lack of funds. I really think as this has become an issue that the public is aware of , I think the county would approve a tax increase as long as it's earmarked for the schools and nothing else. Seems to me like this plan just came out of the blue. Who come up with it this quick? Some consulting firm or what? I'm sorry but upsetting this many kids and parents is just not the way to go. Plus I don't see it helping raise the educational standards of the kids as presented. However hats off the to the board for making the public aware that we have major problems in the school system in SC. I would be in favor of redistricting for the time being as that would be a major undertaking in itself. But I think closing all these schools is NOT the way to go. Way too many kids lives would be affected in a negative way.

I'm sorry where was the personal attacks? I read again this morning and didn't see any personal attacks.

He has been attacked and ridiculed on social media repeatedly. One thing I will say about the people that want the magnet, they are not out slinging personal insults as readily although I expect some do. The writer that you linked wrote, "At least it wasn't using women's undergarments.......I hate analogies that insult my intelligence..... speaking of Mr Chandler". It is always a smart ass jab or slight ridicule.

I spoke to a few former Stanly County football coaches and a former principal this past weekend. They are not sold on the potential plans but they each said the system needs a complete overhaul and that what we face today is due to lack of funds and inactivity from previous boards.

Everyone on this board should read this and take note. Albemarle and SC are not the only schools in trouble. The NC Dept of Education just released the report card for all the public and charter schools in NC for the school year 2013-2014. Its not a pretty picture.
More schools received F's 146 than A's 132. Many schools 1,003 got C's while 582 got B's and 561 got D's. Grades for elementary and middle schools are based 80% on student achievement on standardize test and 20% on student growth. HS grades take into account graduation rates.
This should be food for thought for everyone.
By the way Albemarle got a D and the other 3 county schools got a C. Think I am correct on this.

If anybody wants to check their schools score go to
IndependentTribune.comThis post was edited on 2/11 12:40 PM by Buddy Rich

This post was edited on 2/11 6:40 PM by Buddy Rich

Remember a few weeks ago the new Sheriff went before the County Commissioners and requested almost $300k for items to include uniforms. He originally was going to request more that a federal grant was received for patrol cars and some other equipment.

The force needed new uniforms and total replacement for what this was $80k. The commissioners said normally the budget allows for $18k per year and that it would be very difficult to come up with the requested amount during the year well after the budget is set. Think they came up with about half of what was asked for from a reserve fund. We are talking millions more needed for the schools so it will not be an easy task. Some form of taxation appears to be the only way to get this.

Yes I was alluding to the schools needing the tax.

A tax failed last time that was divided between law enforcement and emergency services communications and the schools.

If they go tax route it will need to be a sales tax and for schools only. It will need to be pushed grass roots and it will be a tough fight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT