ADVERTISEMENT

Hough

He will be Hough's starting Qb most likely by season end. He is a good one looking at this film. He has completed all the top youth ball stuff. So he is known.

What's his connection to Hough? The Clinton football team was expecting him and he could have played a lot there as a freshman vs., sitting or JV at Hough. Clinton is a good to great team at the 2A level vs, 3.5 hours to Hough. Make it make sense.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
He will be Hough's starting Qb most likely by season end. He is a good one looking at this film. He has completed all the top youth ball stuff. So he is known.

What's his connection to Hough? The Clinton football team was expecting him and he could have played a lot there as a freshman vs., sitting or JV at Hough. Clinton is a good to great team at the 2A level vs, 3.5 hours to Hough. Make it make sense.
Is Clinton a typical East coast run team? A qb is almost always preferring a spread, especially if the next level is a possibility.

Is Clinton a typical East coast run team? A qb is almost always preferring a spread, especially if the next level is a possibility.
Looks like it. In reviewing their box scores they only passed over 20x once or so. The QB was a sophomore so maybe it was player based vs. system? Still think playing as a fresh at the home school is big even at the 2A level. vs. JV or sitting.

Looks like it. In reviewing their box scores they only passed over 20x once or so. The QB was a sophomore so maybe it was player based vs. system? Still think playing as a fresh at the home school is big even at the 2A level. vs. JV or sitting.
It's all about the individual of course but from my kids perspective, sitting and watching more talent was better than dominating less talent. She is a softball player and we made the move to the #7 team in the country for 16u at the time, and joining that stacked team she didn't get much playing time. It definitely helped in her learning more from the coaches and playing against more talent heavy teams.

It's all about the individual of course but from my kids perspective, sitting and watching more talent was better than dominating less talent. She is a softball player and we made the move to the #7 team in the country for 16u at the time, and joining that stacked team she didn't get much playing time. It definitely helped in her learning more from the coaches and playing against more talent heavy teams.
You nailed it. It really depends on the child. My son played on really talented basketball teams and his game didn't grow at all sitting the bench. Went to a lesser team where he actually played more and gained experience and his game took off to another level. Then it stagnated and didn't grow as much. The key wasn't the games but the practices/training that he missed playing against better more experienced players. Practice/training with elite players definitely makes one better, and actually playing in games makes one better, Its a fine line.

-The key is to be on an elite team where you aint the bottom player but not the top and where you can play a bunch. If he can get on the field with Hough early it will definitely help his game vs. 2A ball. If he go sit the bench or backup its best to play at Clinton, and transfer to Hough in the 11th grade. Nothing beats early experience playing varsity ball as a 9th grader.

Nepsy,
Two things, where was he supposed to go to school and do you think he will make it to his senior year at Hough?
He from Clinton NC. and I think he will stick around but I wouldnt be shocked if he end up at like say Providence day or Indy or something like that if Hough doesn't work out as Like some have said he prob wont start until Jr year or so and all so will see only time will tell

Connection?? Lake view from the new crib.

I think it will work out fine for him. He will sit for two years, but he should get a decent amount of playing time both years as there will most likely be 3, 4, maybe even 5 blowouts. It will also give him a chance to get bigger and stronger and be ready to roll when he gets his turn.

I think it will work out fine for him. He will sit for two years, but he should get a decent amount of playing time both years as there will most likely be 3, 4, maybe even 5 blowouts. It will also give him a chance to get bigger and stronger and be ready to roll when he gets his turn.
Nope....he didn't move to Charlotte to sit for two years. Nobody with his skill set sits anymore. If he ain't playing he's moving. Count on it.

We'll see. That's exactly what the kid that will be starting this year did and he could have started most places last year as a Sophomore.

Reactions: 87SwO
My issue with Hough has never been the recruiting, That would be extremely hypocritical. All the elite programs have their very own recruiting coordinators. Some more aggressive than others but anyone with just a little insight into just about any top tier HS sports program in the US knows its happening. Recently become a girls HS volleyball fan....WOW...talk about cut throat.

My issue is that if your going to have all that elite talent don't you actually have to win something?? 4th HC now??

With the kind of talent they have assembled the past 8-10 years this is a team that should be playing and winning a national elite schedule and rolling through 2 or 3 titles at this point. They haven't sniffed that.

My issue with Hough has never been the recruiting, That would be extremely hypocritical. All the elite programs have their very own recruiting coordinators. Some more aggressive than others but anyone with just a little insight into just about any top tier HS sports program in the US knows its happening. Recently become a girls HS volleyball fan....WOW...talk about cut throat.

My issue is that if your going to have all that elite talent don't you actually have to win something?? 4th HC now??

With the kind of talent they have assembled the past 8-10 years this is a team that should be playing and winning a national elite schedule and rolling through 2 or 3 titles at this point. They haven't sniffed that.

Hard work and heart, beat talent all day everyday....

Bigdadd, if he's starting by season's end I'd be surprised. Trey Blakeney should be the starter and has offers from East Carolina and Charlotte. It wouldn't be good for him to play right away. Yes, he's very talented but it will take some time for him to learn to play in structure at a high level.

Bigdadd, if he's starting by season's end I'd be surprised. Trey Blakeney should be the starter and has offers from East Carolina and Charlotte. It wouldn't be good for him to play right away. Yes, he's very talented but it will take some time for him to learn to play in structure at a high level.
You dont move from Clinton, NC to Hough to sit 2 years IMHO. Plenty of good schools/situations in between. Not sure what sold him on Hough? Playing QB as a 9th grader on varsity is tough but these guys are getting exposed to high level football earlier and earlier especially the QB position.

Can think of multiple teams that had guys move cause they didnt want to sit as a qb. Other positions get on the field with depth. QBs dont. Its an interesting situation. 🤔

You dont move from Clinton, NC to Hough to sit 2 years IMHO. Plenty of good schools/situations in between. Not sure what sold him on Hough? Playing QB as a 9th grader on varsity is tough but these guys are getting exposed to high level football earlier and earlier especially the QB position.

Can think of multiple teams that had guys move cause they didnt want to sit as a qb. Other positions get on the field with depth. QBs dont. Its an interesting situation. 🤔
Leak..Marquis

I can't see him sitting 2 years either, but I can't see them benching the current Qb either, with him having offers of his own. I believe the Clinton coaches like their current starter, so not sure he would have been day 1 starter at Clinton either.

I can't see him sitting 2 years either, but I can't see them benching the current Qb either, with him having offers of his own. I believe the Clinton coaches like their current starter, so not sure he would have been day 1 starter at Clinton either.
He has much better chance at Clinton. The starter was a soph and not a great passer. More of an athlete. If the top MS 2027 prospect didnt choose the home team id like my current starter too.

He has much better chance at Clinton. The starter was a soph and not a great passer. More of an athlete. If the top MS 2027 prospect didnt choose the home team id like my current starter too.

Yea, definitely should have stayed at Clinton. They would have moved the athlete that's playing QB somewhere else. His brother just graduated from Clinton as well. Not sure why go to Hough though. Terrible program and already have a QB. Maybe PD and sat for one year. Hope for the best for the kid. Maybe some Clinton guys have some insight on the situation???

These good players move around. Seen where Providence Day will have a transfer RB from a HS West Virginia that’s seem to be really good. Gaffney has got a QB that’s move around some but now will be at Gaffney.

People can say parents do what's best for their kid but moving place to place to place isn't good for kids lol. Maybe two schools in four years max.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
In reference to playing as a 9th grader in varsity? The ones that do are generally special talents or a dire situation at qb for the school.
Agreed. So, there are a lot of things to think about at the QB position when transitioning from middle school to high school. The QBs have to be strong leaders for one and that's really difficult for a 9th grader when you have seniors depending on you specifically to get them the ball and trust you. Second, HS ball is much different than middle school ball, the least of which are line protections and reading the defense and throwing the ball where it should go. Next is just strength. A 13-14 year old going against 17-18 year olds is difficult. There are many really big strong kids now and taking hits from basically grown men can really be difficult for a young QB to deal with. Arm strength is the other piece. There are a lot of things you can do and get away with in middle school that will be picks in high school as the speed is also much different. Not sure what sold him to Hough, but he knew what he was getting into and has made the decision he thought was best for him and apparently doesn't think Hough is a terrible program like our resident hater 87SwO.

On the note regarding transfers, college coaches will take it into consideration if a kid transfers to multiple high schools. In the era of the transfer portal, they realize that a kid that didn't stick it out at 3 or 4 high schools, has a good probability of not sticking it out at their school if things don't go exactly how they want it to.

• Haha
His offer from ECU is not committable. Biff Poggi Charlotte offered any kid who wanted a offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT