ADVERTISEMENT

#5 Hough vs #28 Asheville

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
What does Asheville have coming into this game. I see possibly a good chance of Hough playing Grimsley in the 3rd rd. Any thoughts.

Reactions: New3ra
What does Asheville have coming into this game. I see possibly a good chance of Hough playing Grimsley in the 3rd rd. Any thoughts.
That’s the consensus in the Triad. My guess is that Grimsley will face Hough, Weddington and Butler before heading for a rematch with Rolesville for the title.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
That’s the consensus in the Triad. My guess is that Grimsley will face Hough, Weddington and Butler before heading for a rematch with Rolesville for the title.
If they get there this year, all of those games can be a loss. I’m curious to see that Hough and Grimsley rematch and wouldn’t be surprised if it went the other way this time.

Last year’s game was a shootout and Hough in my opinion doesn’t have the offense firepower to keep up with Grimsley this year. At Weddington would be a tougher matchup in my opinion.

Last year’s game was a shootout and Hough in my opinion doesn’t have the offense firepower to keep up with Grimsley this year. At Weddington would be a tougher matchup in my opinion.
Only reason I disagree is because Hough still could’ve won that game last year with the same problem. Those running backs they have this year are a load to tackle and Grimsley’s LBs aren’t that good so that match up will be key.

I still don’t think Hough can keep up with Grimsley this year if it’s a shootout and you can make an argument last year’s Hough team is better than this current version. Hough defensively will have to play a great game to keep it tight because Hough’s offense isn’t elite at all. I could be wrong and I will gladly eat crow if I am.

I still don’t think Hough can keep up with Grimsley this year if it’s a shootout and you can make an argument last year’s Hough team is better than this current version. Hough defensively will have to play a great game to keep it tight because Hough’s offense isn’t elite at all. I could be wrong and I will gladly eat crow if I am.
You could argue Grimsley was better last year as well, especially if Bryce doesn’t play. I’ve watched both and I would favor Grimsley but still think Hough could pull it off. They had a lot of lucky breaks in key moments to reach the state game last year that they may not get this year.

As long as Grimsley can stay at home in the playoffs, they'll be fine.

You could argue Grimsley was better last year as well, especially if Bryce doesn’t play. I’ve watched both and I would favor Grimsley but still think Hough could pull it off. They had a lot of lucky breaks in key moments to reach the state game last year that they may not get this year.
Grimsley is better this year, especially on Offense. The sophomore QB, Brandon is going to be choosing which P5 school he wants to go to. The passing attack is much better than last year. Defense is about the same, but they have a better offense than they did last year. My concern with them is going to be how they react in a close game. They haven’t had a close game all year and had running clocks in the last 8 games. That could come back to bite them

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
As long as Grimsley can stay at home in the playoffs, they'll be fine.
That’s the truth. Hough was penalized 19 times for for 141 yds at Grimsley (grimsley was flagged 7 for 55 yds). Even Hough hater Nepsy posted video of Hough scoring in OT but was somehow called down at the 1

I’ll admit Hough chokes late season but a dozen false starts for a senior laden OL?? Hough had 13 more 1st downs than grimsley but that still didn’t help.

Reactions: Champ_24 and New3ra
Grimsley is better this year, especially on Offense. The sophomore QB, Brandon is going to be choosing which P5 school he wants to go to. The passing attack is much better than last year. Defense is about the same, but they have a better offense than they did last year. My concern with them is going to be how they react in a close game. They haven’t had a close game all year and had running clocks in the last 8 games. That could come back to bite them
We all knew he would be choosing any P5 school of his choice before even playing a snap at Grimsley and saw his potential in spurts last season.

Grimsley hasn’t lost on the road since 2018.
As much talent as they have, they better win it this season or it will be one of the biggest choke jobs. Regardless of what happened with NB, they got beat on the field and Grimsley has yet to complete a full regular season fall season with a championship.

That’s the truth. Hough was penalized 19 times for for 141 yds at Grimsley (grimsley was flagged 7 for 55 yds). Even Hough hater Nepsy posted video of Hough scoring in OT but was somehow called down at the 1

I’ll admit Hough chokes late season but a dozen false starts for a senior laden OL?? Hough had 13 more 1st downs than grimsley but that still didn’t help.
That was an epic matchup. Hough did grind the ball well in that game for first downs but Grimsley hits home runs, and still does.

As much talent as they have, they better win it this season or it will be one of the biggest choke jobs. Regardless of what happened with NB, they got beat on the field and Grimsley has yet to complete a full regular season fall season with a championship.
We are #4 seed, a dark horse.

That was an epic matchup. Hough did grind the ball well in that game for first downs but Grimsley hits home runs, and still does.
This is true, the west final with Grimsley/Butler a couple years ago many of Grimsley’s TD’s were home runs, missed tackle the runner was off to the races. They are never really out of a game.

I disagree, I think Grimsley is talented but if they lost to Weddington or Butler, people wouldn’t view that as a choke job. Maybe if they lose to Rolesville you can make an argument but Rolesville turned out to be a really good team

I disagree, I think Grimsley is talented but if they lost to Weddington or Butler, people wouldn’t view that as a choke job. Maybe if they lose to Rolesville you can make an argument but Rolesville turned out to be a really good team
It’s not just based off this year but as a program/coach it would be a choke job. Winning a championship in a 15-16 game season is still looming over Coach Brown’s head. This goes back to his days before Grimsley, he’s always had super talented teams but couldn’t get over the hump. This year with one of his most talented teams he’s ever had it would be considered a choke job. They know it and the coach knows it. 4A isn’t as strong this year as most years either.

Last edited:
It’s not just based off this year but as a program/coach it would be a choke job. Winning a championship in a 15-16 game season is still looming over Coach Brown’s head. This goes back to his days before Grimsley, he’s always had super talented teams but couldn’t get over the hump. This year with one of his most talented teams he’s ever had it would be considered a choke job. They know it and the coach knows it. 4A isn’t as strong this year as most years either.
I would agree if Grimsley loses in the first or second round. If they lose to Weddington or Butler for example. Those teams have D1 talent as well, Grimsley wouldn’t have a sizable talent advantage over those schools. If Grimsley loses to any one of those schools I don’t think it would be chokejob. I think it will be disappointing

I would agree if Grimsley loses in the first or second round. If they lose to Weddington or Butler for example. Those teams have D1 talent as well, Grimsley wouldn’t have a sizable talent advantage over those schools. If Grimsley loses to any one of those schools I don’t think it would be chokejob. I think it will be disappointing
We will just agree to disagree then.

No fault of theirs, but how does one take seriously a team with the name of Whirlies?

It's not weak either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT