ADVERTISEMENT

Half Wake Forest leads Rolesville 21-7

tarheelg

Sep 21, 2001
Creedmoor, NC
Good first half....WF ball first, 2 first downs and fumble, Rolesville goes about 70 yds in 4 plays to lead 7-0, then struggles to. move ball rest of the first half....they did have a 1st and goal at 2 yard line after a 60+ yd INT return with the WF QB who threw INT making TD saving tackle, but WF defense held, stuffed one run and forced three incompletions, WF offense has punted twice but both late in 2nd quarter, on their first 6 possessions they either scored or stopped themselves with 3 nice TD drives, opening drive ended in fumble, there was the INT, and another drive they were at the Ram ~30 or 35 and went on 4th and had a bobbled snap lead to turnover on downs...their defense has bothered Rolesville passing game, both teams have sophomore QBs with good mobility, WF running game has been great with 3-4 different ball carriers, Rolesville receiving 2nd half kickoff

Reactions: Hon Dines
Rolesville rallies in 2nd half to come back to win 42-28....they had the ball first in 3rd qtr, drove it right down the field to draw within 21-14, WF drives right back down the field but stuffed on 3 straight runs in red zone and settled for FG attempt that sailed wide left, Rolesville drives back down and scores to tie it 21-21....WF drives down to take lead back 28-21, ensuing kickoff taken by Ohio St Buckeyes commit Noah Rogers who returned it 85 yds for TD to tie game at 28-28, WF next drive picked up one first down but forced to punt, Rolesville had ball with around 4:00 to play in 4th, had moved chains twice, got backed up on a holding penalty, and after not showing much of a running game all night, RB Isiah Jones busts up the middle for a 55 yd TD run to take the lead 35-28, WF turned ball over downs in its own territory after a huge sack on 3rd down to make it 4th and about 25, then on the next play Caleb Jarvis busts up the middle practically untouched on about a 30 yd TD run to make it 42-28, WF turned it over on downs in final minute after picking up 2 first downs, Rolesville advances to visit New Bern

I was impressed with WF stable of running backs, and their defense looked good for much of the game, they usually chose to play coverage and not blitz much, that planned worked well in 1st half, but I think Rolesville's 2nd half possessions all resulted in TDs until kneeling in victory formation, WF really seemed to miss starting DB Tavian Williams in the entire 2nd half....there were numerous injuries for both teams in 1st half and I didn't remember getting hurt, (maybe it happened on 3rd qtr kickoff?), Rolesville has quite a collection of WRs and a good young QB with a great arm and a great pass protecting offensive line

Both teams had great rbs. Rolesville's two running backs both are 1000 yd rushers splitting time and both will be back next year. WF, well its WF they rely on the run and their backs run really hard.

WF blitzed a lot. 30 who is a very good player came from every different direction. Rolesville did a good job picking him up and slowing him down but his pressure was big for WF's success. To me, WF did not seem to adjust much or prepare to adjust much during halftime. Rolesville for the most part have made adjustments at half time that have helped almost all season. They lost their best defensive player in 23 on a really bad block in the back on the block FG return but overcame that loss and dominated the second half. .

Reactions: tarheelg and sammyk
Both teams had great rbs. Rolesville's two running backs both are 1000 yd rushers splitting time and both will be back next year. WF, well its WF they rely on the run and their backs run really hard.

WF blitzed a lot. 30 who is a very good player came from every different direction. Rolesville did a good job picking him up and slowing him down but his pressure was big for WF's success. To me, WF did not seem to adjust much or prepare to adjust much during halftime. Rolesville for the most part have made adjustments at half time that have helped almost all season. They lost their best defensive player in 23 on a really bad block in the back on the block FG return but overcame that loss and dominated the second half. .
Yes, I agree the two Rolesville RBs that scored the late TDs were good backs in their own right....they were what put the Rams over the top in the end...the guy I was watching the game with and I kept saying how in the biggest change in the 2nd half from the first half was in the WF was running the ball and stopping the run, but in the second half, Rolesville did a much better job of stopping the run (only allowing one scoring drive, and WF did complete a few passes for first downs, but definitely didn't look comfortable doing it), and of course in the end they sealed the game with two runs up the middle.....also some of the biggest plays of the game for Rolesville happened on defense....yes, they allowed three touchdowns (not counting the one on special teams), but they also got the two turnovers, plus a turnover on downs with a bobbled snap on 4th and 1 (it might have gone in the books as an official turnover; I can't remember if he actually fumbled or if so, who recovered it)....no they didn't convert any of the turnovers into points, not even on 1st & Goal from the 2 after the long INT return, but the two fumbles and the interception took away scoring chances for WF when they had good drives going close to the red zone; could have been a whole different second half had WF led by more than 14 at the break, and oh, maybe the biggest defensive play of all: Rolesville leading 35-28 with close to 2 minutes left...WF had 3rd and 8 or 9 around their own 35, all 3 timeouts left: I tell the guy i'm watching the game with: "I guess this is 4-down territory....unless you lose 15 yards here....".....then it happened: huge sack by one of the Ram defenders; makes it something like 4th and 26....ESPN used to call plays like that a Pontiac Game Changing Performance

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT