ADVERTISEMENT

Rewarding Mediocrity

FBCapitolofNC

Nov 4, 2013
First and foremost, why is a 1-9 team in the playoffs? Second, why would a coach down 84-0 at half decide to continue the game? The loosing coach said, it was to teach the kids not to quit or give up... seriously? The only thing those kids will remember, We lost 100 to freaking nothing with a running clock against 3rd string freshman at the end.

Regardless of your thoughts on the last TD, it, doesn't really mater. The game should have never been played! Should have never continued after the half. It should be like a boxing match....throw in the towel. High School Baseball...10 after 5 it's over.

Rewarding mediocrity is killing this country. It's not just the VHSL. The NCHSAA does it too. Alone with everything we do daily in the US. Reidsville has been in games that have been in the 70 plus point games. Coach Teague pulls starters early. 2nd and 3rd string players still score.

I can guarantee the memory of getting beat a 100-0 will last much longer than being rewarded a playoff game after rallying to a stellar 1-9 record. Stop it!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...NPEkqFaJdGnZUTI33Qd6FXHHI7ODM0JItTm42M9dGfY78

I would much rather have a story to tell about how we got beat 100-0, than remembering that we forfeited in the middle of the game. That's actually a way neater memory. No, they should not have even been in the playoffs. And if I'm personally playing a game with friends and I'm getting blown out, it's ok to admit defeat then. But to quit mid game in an organized sporting event? That people paid money to see? No way. Roanoke Rapids quit at halftime this year when they were down 50-0, and they lost all respect from the fan base, opponents, and their own players.

Last edited:
The final play of the game was a twenty some yard touchdown pass. I'm glad they finished the game they were put in the playoffs not of their choice and they completed the game.

In baseball last year our baseball team could have scored fifty runs in some conference games but chose not to. At least the schools fielded a team.

Y’all blowing this out of proportion! Every school isn’t a powerhouse and every school doesn’t have communities with tons of athletes..just been glad your school is great and carry on with your day. This will change after next year and I’m sure people will complain about that..

Reactions: kingbluedevil
It is a very simple fix. STOP rewarding Mediocrity! Period! If you are 1 and 9, 1 win in 10 games and make the playoffs! That's 🤡 world stuff. Call me a get off my lawn guy if you want. Conference Champs and maybe an at- large if you have a winning record. Reidsville played Madison with similar record....why? Give more byes to higher seeds. Let schools with crappy records play one another. At least they won't have to take an embarrassing ass kicking.

Reactions: Strick68 and egfan
No one is arguing that they shouldn't have been in the playoffs. That's absolutely correct. But you asked why wasn't the game stopped. If start the game, your can't quit.

As far as stopping it, what's the difference in this and mercy rule in baseball or softball? Or stopping a fight. I get it. I hate to quit anything, but 80 plus at the half, what do you teach or learn at that point. As the winning coach, you're damned if you do and dammed if you don't. Second and third string kids practice all week for a chance to play. Losing Coach is trying to tell kids, I know you've been kicked in nads 50x. Now I need you to get kicked in the head, while being kicked in the nads.

The mercy rule is a rule. Not quitting. Stopping a fight is done by the ref most of the time. If it's done by the boxer's team, yeah, that's quitting too, but it's usually to actually keep you alive. And actually, yeah, I'd like a coach that would say keep going, don't give up, even though you're getting whooped.

Reactions: Strick68
It's all about money. DYB started this some years back. Regular all star teams then added supplemental all star teams. Because they didn't want kids who were not chosen for regular all stars to fill bad. Also money to. Same with NCHEAA. EVERYONE gets a trophy!!

Reactions: Strick68
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT