ADVERTISEMENT

Football 2022 Catawba valley 2A conference

Apparently after being found eligible, and then after the investigation, the new 2023 QB is now ineligible. I don’t have first hand knowledge, but a VERY predominant player’s parent on that team told me personally that at about the same time it was found out the new kid was going to be the starting QB that an investigation took place.

The day he stepped on campus he was the starter. Everybody in the community knew that. Only thing was whether or not it was a legal transfer or not. I cannot see how any of these kids could be denied transfer if it was done properly. If someone gave the kids bad information or if someone at the school messed up and did something wrong (Which should result in someone being fired), that would be the only thing that I could see as a reason to be denied.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
In this situation, the person holding the highest possible position with Catawba County Schools should have no part in the decision making process. Around the time that person in that position found out the new kid was going to be the starter is when an investigation was opened. The kid and his family moved. What more legally can they do? Getting uglier and uglier…

Once again, there has to be more to the situation. It would have no legal standing for a kid to be unenrolled. The whole story is not out there. Once again, if a staff member at the school messed up, they should be held accountable immediately.

Are the players in question still enrolled at Maiden? What about the JV qb? No way he stays after all of this...
From what I understand they were forced to leave school. Don't know how that works so close to exams...

The JV QB was in camp last week, for one of the 4 days. Took some reps, but IS NOT READY, even if the other QB never showed up, the jv kid would NOT START.

From what I understand they were forced to leave school. Don't know how that works so close to exams...

The JV QB was in camp last week, for one of the 4 days. Took some reps, but IS NOT READY, even if the other QB never showed up, the jv kid would NOT START.
Just an unfortunate situation for all parties involved. Another example of this generation being scared of some competition.

I think Will got a little greedy, he has had a lot of luck with transfers the last few years but this group pissed off too many of the home grown parents. Freedom is going through this scenario now where more are transferring out than in because they pissed off the wrong parents. It seems to go in cycles and coaches are forced to move on. I hope it doesn’t happen to Will, he has built a solid program.

I think Will got a little greedy, he has had a lot of luck with transfers the last few years but this group pissed off too many of the home grown parents. Freedom is going through this scenario now where more are transferring out than in because they pissed off the wrong parents. It seems to go in cycles and coaches are forced to move on. I hope it doesn’t happen to Will, he has built a solid program.
I see your point.

But a kid/parents choosing to leave their school and come to Maiden, whatever their reason may be, doesn't make the coach greedy. That's a product of being a successful program with a school curriculum that is also successful in a town that's excellent to be a part of.

Will's job is to put the best 11 to 22 kids on the field out of the team he has. That doesn't make him greedy. That's a trait of any average to great coach in the world.

A kid who has been approved to transfer in happening to be better than an existing kid and getting the starting job/playing time over them happens in most schools who have transfers. That doesn't make Will greedy. That means he and his coaches have come to an agreement on who the starter should be based off what they've been shown in practice. You put the best players on the field. Any successful team does that.

What's greedy are parents who believe their kid deserves to play over another kid to the point they go to the county to have them removed. It's chickenshit. Most parents who do that aren't realistic to how good their kid isn't. Trust me, if your kid can ball, he'll be playing. We'll take every opportunity to run a two platoon team we can. You don't put one kid over the team for your own narcissistic need. I get it, Maiden football is the king of Maiden, and you want your kid sitting at the roundtable, but in the words of Tom Brown, not every dog is going to hunt.

Sometimes it's the dog, sometimes it's the trainer, but if you can't hunt, you don't go for the ride.

The perennials deserve our best shot.
I still don't understand. If this is the Ashe county quarterback from last year. And he was going to start for you guys. You were pretty thin at that position already. Geez. Great kid I'm sure. No mobility. Not willing to take a hit. Not a very accurate passer. Maybe he transferred because the JV kid was better. I'm not sure. But I can't believe that he is the reason that parents were upset. That being said if the kids couldn't beat him out then I guess he would have been the starter. But if that's the case maidens not as good as I thought.

Ill go back to the original reason for the post. Here is my conference prediction for the year.
(Conference Win Totals)

West Lincoln (6-1): Loss to a Newton, Lincolnton, or Bunker.
Maiden (6-1): Loss to West Lincoln
Newton (4-3): Most likely losses to West L, Maiden, and Lincoln/Bunk
Lincolnton (4-3): Most likely losses to West and Maiden, and Newt/Bunk
Bunker (4-3): Most likely losses to West and Maiden, Newt/Linc, and possibly and East/Band
East Burke (3-4): Wins against West C and possibly Bandys or any in 3-5 category.
Bandys (3-4): Wins against West C and possibly East Burke, or a team in the 3-5 category.
West Caldwell (0-7): Do not see any wins from West this year. Really tough Conference.

I think 3-5 are interchangeable. Going to be a shootout. My other bold prediction is that the conference champ will have a loss in conference this year. That may lead to a West and Maiden tie at the top of the leaderboard, but I think West may beat Maiden in a physical battle.

Last edited:
Ill go back to the original reason for the post. Here is my conference prediction for the year.
(Conference Win Totals)

West Lincoln (7-1): Loss to a Newton, Lincolnton, or Bunker.
Maiden (7-1): Loss to West Lincoln
Newton (5-3): Most likely losses to West L, Maiden, and Lincoln/Bunk
Lincolnton (5-3): Most likely losses to West and Maiden, and Newt/Bunk
Bunker (4-4): Most likely losses to West and Maiden, Newt/Linc, and possibly and East/Band
East Burke (2-6): Wins against West C and possibly Bandys or any in 3-5 category.
Bandys (2-6): Wins against West C and possibly East Burke, or a team in the 3-5 category.
West Caldwell (0-8): Do not see any wins from West this year. Really tough Conference.

I think 3-5 are interchangeable. Going to be a shootout. My other bold prediction is that the conference champ will have a loss in conference this year. That may lead to a West and Maiden tie at the top of the leaderboard, but I think West may beat Maiden in a physical battle.
Thank Gawd!

• Haha
Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
I've already made my prediction but I'd like to add this BOLD prediction:

Maiden's starting defense will only allow 4 touchdowns this year to conference opponents.

I don’t really have a dog in the fight anymore, but if whoever ends up playing QB at Maiden this year can throw the ball up 50 yards down the field, they will be successful. They can run run run Gibbs and then play action to Culliver. That’s all they have to do (at least in conference play). They’ll need more in the playoffs, but nobody in the conference will stop that. Add that with their defense, they will go 7-0 in the conference.

***I don’t like Maiden

Last edited:
I think the reason this all happened is because Maiden did not have a QB. Defense will be tough, but they will give up more than 4 tuddys. I will say if they give up 10 that is a huge accomplishment in my book. Might give up 4 to the ole running rebels this year.

• Love
I don’t really have a dog in the fight anymore, but if whoever ends up playing QB at Maiden this year can throw the ball up 50 yards down the field, they will be successful. They can run run run Gibbs and then play action to Culliver. That’s all they have to do (at least in conference play). They’ll need more in the playoffs, but nobody in the conference will stop that. Add that with their defense, they will go 7-0 in the conference.

***I don’t like Maiden
I m loving this!…especially the last statement.

I’d say all of us in this conference feels the same way about each other.

I don’t like any of ‘em either….but I love ‘em all though!

Good stuff! Guy!

Last edited:
I think the reason this all happened is because Maiden did not have a QB. Defense will be tough, but they will give up more than 4 tuddys. I will say if they give up 10 that is a huge accomplishment in my book. Might give up 4 to the ole running rebels this year.
The reason I say that is because our starting D only allowed 4 tuddys last year...we return nearly everyone on defense, they are another year more comfortable and confident in their system, another year stronger and faster.

Last years numbers for the 1st string defense:

Non-Conference
>Foard - Shutout
>Watauga - Shutout
>Christ School - Allowed 2 passing TDs (both over 40yds)
Total: 2 Shutouts and 2 TDs allowed (2 passing) = Under 5 points per game allowed

Conference
>WLincoln - Allowed 2 TDs (1 pass and 1 rush)
>EBurke - Shutout
>WCaldwell - Shutout
>Bandys - Shutout
>BHill - Allowed 1 passing TD (over 50 yds)
>Lincolnton - Shutout
>Newton - Allowed 1 passing TD
Total: 4 Shutouts and 4 TDs allowed (3 passing/1 rushing) = Exactly 4 points per game allowed

Playoffs
>Mount P - Shutout
>WLincoln - Shutout
>Salisbury - Allowed 1 rushing TD
>ESurry - Allowed 1 Passing and 3 Rushing TDs
Total: 2 Shutouts and 5 TDs allowed (1 passing/4 rushing) = Under 9 points per game allowed

Year Total for 1st D in 13 games:
8 Shutouts - 11 TDs allowed (6 passing/5 rushing) = Just under 6 Points per game allowed

**If anything I'm being conservative about how good our defense is going to be.

CalPreps Preseason ratings for our conference:

1 - Maiden (9 overall in 2A, 7th in West)
2 - West Lincoln (17 overall in 2A, 11th in West)
3 - Newton Conover (20 overall in 2A, 13th in West)
4 - Lincolnton (27 overall in 2A, 16th in West)
5 - Bunker Hill (44 overall in 2A, 26th in West)
6 - East Burke (52 overall in 2A, 29th in West)
7 - Bandys (55 overall in 2A, 32nd in West)
8 - West Caldwell (78 overall in 2A, 46th in the West)

If these rankings were cemented in as fact, then West Caldwell would be the only team that wouldn't make the playoffs...that's a tough conference right there!!

Using only the preseason rankings from CalPreps - this would be the playoff field if you took their 32 best teams out of the west:

WEST
1 - SHELBY
32 - BANDYS
16 - LINCOLNTON
17 - WALKERTOWN
9 - POLK COUNTY
24 - WEST STANLY
8 - HENDERSONVILLE
25 - MT PLEASANT
----------
4 - REIDSVILLE
29 - EAST BURKE
13 - NEWTON
20 - NORTH FORSYTH
12 - FORBUSH
21 - SW RANDOLPH
5 - EAST SURRY
28 - PROVIDENCE GROVE
----------
----------
2 - MONROE
31 - RANDLEMAN
15 - FOREST HILLS
18 - ROBINSON
10 - EAST GASTON
23 - RS CENTRAL
7 - MAIDEN
26 - BUNKER HILL
----------
3 - BURNS
30 - NORTH SURRY
14 - CHASE
19 - EAST DAVIDSON
11 - WEST LINCOLN
22 - BREVARD
6 - SALISBURY
27 - PINE LAKE PREP

I think that Bunker has a pretty high upside for their team this year. Losing their QB and a few lineman hurt them, but I think that they still have all their skill players back. Should still be in the 3rd place hunt. I think they have Lincolnton early which will give them a measure of where they stand.

Lincolnton is extremely athletic and they are only going to get better. Their physicality might have been their greatest strength last year. Can they match it?

Newton needs to score. If they can, they should be fine. If they do not score, they will end up in 5th or 6th again.

Hate to see Thompson being done the way he is. Regardless of anything if he is the best option to win games thats who you put behind center! I hope this all gets resolved and he has a full normal off-season to prepare for his SR season!

Lincolnton wins a non conference game.
Thank you, my friend, I hope so. We have South Point, North Lincoln and of course, Ǝɒƨt ⅃inɔoln, for non-conference games. The last time we beat either of them was North in 2017. We beat them all in 2016 but that seems like a long time ago.
Speaking of North Lincoln, I have a friend that grew up right here in Lincolnton and attended Lincolnton High School. He moved into the North Lincoln area and now refers to North as "We". Yeah right ! Traitor ! We We We. I know they love you in Pumpkin Center. He has a blue towel to twirl around at their games.

The CVAC conference champion will not be a top 4 seed in the playoffs due to RPI…..unless it’s Lincolnton or West Caldwell.

The CVAC conference champion will not be a top 4 seed in the playoffs due to RPI…..unless it’s Lincolnton or West Caldwell.
Pretty much...unless you win out a hellacious non conference schedule. A loss to Shelby helps you out more than a win against St Stephens

Thank you, my friend, I hope so. We have South Point, North Lincoln and of course, Ǝɒƨt ⅃inɔoln, for non-conference games. The last time we beat either of them was North in 2017. We beat them all in 2016 but that seems like a long time ago.
Speaking of North Lincoln, I have a friend that grew up right here in Lincolnton and attended Lincolnton High School. He moved into the North Lincoln area and now refers to North as "We". Yeah right ! Traitor ! We We We. I know they love you in Pumpkin Center. He has a blue towel to twirl around at their games.

I believe we beat North and West this year. Not sure we will have the fire power to beat Least Lincoln. On another note, I live a hop and a skip from the high school and my neighbor had a North Lincoln Graduate yard sign out the other day.

I believe we beat North and West this year. Not sure we will have the fire power to beat Least Lincoln. On another note, I live a hop and a skip from the high school and my neighbor had a North Lincoln Graduate yard sign out the other day.
Could be a grandparent.

That is what a 20 minute commute one-way. Kid is getting out just as the gas prices go up. Maybe gas prices will bring some of those athletes back to Lincolnton.

That is what a 20 minute commute one-way. Kid is getting out just as the gas prices go up. Maybe gas prices will bring some of those athletes back to Lincolnton.
I’ve seen North and West Lincoln signs in town the past two years. Our enrollment decrease is certainly a concern not only for athletics but the well being of the school in general. A lot of LHS folks have sent their kids to North through the years. The charter school has also hurt us. Not necessarily in Athletics, but student count. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us drop to 1A in the future.

I’ve seen North and West Lincoln signs in town the past two years. Our enrollment decrease is certainly a concern not only for athletics but the well being of the school in general. A lot of LHS folks have sent their kids to North through the years. The charter school has also hurt us. Not necessarily in Athletics, but student count. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us drop to 1A in the future.
Wow that's wild...on the other foot, I won't be surprised to see Bandys and Maiden reaching 3A numbers within the next 5 years with all the developments.

Wow that's wild...on the other foot, I won't be surprised to see Bandys and Maiden reaching 3A numbers within the next 5 years with all the developments.
Growth along 16 is crazy right now. There are rumblings of possibly a new school being built in the future to keep North Lincoln and East Lincoln from being overwhelmed. Hope that doesn’t happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT