Clinton vs Reidsville for the Ship

Who wins?

• Clinton

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • Reidsville

Votes: 56 67.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is the Clinton game vs Northeastern on NFHS on demand?
Looks as though Clinton does not make their games available on demand on NFHS. One shouldnt be surprised though based on supposed other limitations the staff has put on others as far as social media.

Seems like I remember in either Johnson's first or second season he didnt allow cameras or spectators at practice. I also vaguely remember some discussion about what was the "official" Facebook or Twitter account.

Not knocking it Clinton followers. Only speaking on what I remember. If not accurate, please correct me.

Looks as though Clinton does not make their games available on demand on NFHS. One shouldnt be surprised though based on supposed other limitations the staff has put on others as far as social media.

Seems like I remember in either Johnson's first or second season he didnt allow cameras or spectators at practice. I also vaguely remember some discussion about what was the "official" Facebook or Twitter account.

Not knocking it Clinton followers. Only speaking on what I remember. If not accurate, please correct me.
So, Scribe, you going to tell us where you hail from?

Great analysis there Scribe. Spot on. Just for the record, I am curious as to where are you located and who is your team?
Currently residing on the beautiful southeastern coast of NC.

Do not really have a "team" per se. I have interacted with many programs and coaches in my former life. I have more direct contacts (family, friends) in the Duplin County area so I do follow those four high schools more closely now than I was able to before. Tremendous amount of respect for those programs and the coaches both now and in the past but I am familiar with most of the programs in Onslow, Pender, Sampson, New Hanover and Duplin counties.

Going back to the game, I just feel that Reidsville might (and I stress "might") have a difficult time stopping Clinton's running game. I think their defense would prefer to play a team that spreads it out and throws it the majority of the time as opposed to a team that tries to bully you around, moves the chains and eats clock. East Duplin did that last year and it was the 3rd quarter before Reidsville provided any resistence to the ED running game and by that time, thanks to the blocked FG return for a TD and a field goal after an INT, it was 17-7. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the clinching TD was set up by a couple of DPI calls. ED had fine ball carriers, but I dont know that they were as explosive as what Clinton has and surely no one like WIlliams.

I think Reidsville will move the ball but they have to cash in because Clinton will limit their chances if the NC and NE game plan carries over to this one. I think Clinton will score on a greater percentages of their possessions.

Ive been hit and miss on my picks this year so everyone should just take this with a grain of salt. Both teams have outstanding traditions and both probably expected to be here since the end of last season. I am sure it will be a great game.

Do not really have a "team" per se. I have interacted with many programs and coaches in my former life. I have more direct contacts (family, friends) in the Duplin County area so I do follow those four high schools more closely now than I was able to before. Tremendous amount of respect for those programs and the coaches both now and in the past but I am familiar with most of the programs in Onslow, Pender, Sampson, New Hanover and Duplin counties.

Going back to the game, I just feel that Reidsville might (and I stress "might") have a difficult time stopping Clinton's running game. I think their defense would prefer to play a team that spreads it out and throws it the majority of the time as opposed to a team that tries to bully you around, moves the chains and eats clock. East Duplin did that last year and it was the 3rd quarter before Reidsville provided any resistence to the ED running game and by that time, thanks to the blocked FG return for a TD and a field goal after an INT, it was 17-7. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the clinching TD was set up by a couple of DPI calls. ED had fine ball carriers, but I dont know that they were as explosive as what Clinton has and surely no one like WIlliams.

I think Reidsville will move the ball but they have to cash in because Clinton will limit their chances if the NC and NE game plan carries over to this one. I think Clinton will score on a greater percentages of their possessions.

Ive been hit and miss on my picks this year so everyone should just take this with a grain of salt. Both teams have outstanding traditions and both probably expected to be here since the end of last season. I am sure it will be a great game.
I will say Reidsville defense is at least 100 times better than NE. Not knocking them but it’s true. It’s a fascinating matchup. I think I got Reidsville by 14-17 points based on film I have watched. Limited film I must add

Clinton will need to run the same game plan they had against NE, only slower. Win the toss and take the offense on the field first. Establish the run as much as possible with a long drawn out drive with nothing but ground and pound and make Reidsville start creeping those db’s up. They are not gonna wanna tackle Clintons rbs for very long. On defense if Clinton can get some pressure by rushing 4 would definitely help because Reidsville qb can sling it and has some very good receivers. Their offense is gonna be hard to stop so Clinton is gonna have to keep them on the sidelines as much as possible. I’m gonna be pulling for Clinton so I wish both teams the best of luck and safe travels to each and everyone who travels to the game

Reactions: FootballDad2023
I will say Reidsville defense is at least 100 times better than NE. Not knocking them but it’s true. It’s a fascinating matchup. I think I got Reidsville by 14-17 points based on film I have watched. Limited film I must add
So with your thinks that the Rams defense is 100 times better than NE who held Clinton to their lowest number of points in the season at 36,so that’s saying you think they can stop Clinton’s offense. Left me give you a clue; Clinton will get what stops there are in the game and baring a turnover Clinton will score on every possession. There won’t be many of them.
100 times better than NE? That’s a pure insult to NE’s effirts

Last edited:
So with your thinks that the Rams defense is 100 times better than NE who held Clinton to their lowest number of points in the season at 32; so that’s saying you think they can stop Clinton’s offense. Left me give you a clue; Clinton will get what stops there are in the game and baring a turnover Clinton will score on every possession. There won’t be many of them.
I will say this again after watching the game. NE had a ton of unforced errors. I'm not talking about great plays by Clinton that resulted in negative results for NE.

Give me some examples of “tons” of unforced errors
A couple of fumbles bad center qb exchanges, qb threw a pick that wasn't rushed just threw right into Clinton's defense. Not a metal mistake, but NE corners were not the best ive seen. I don't think they played a crisp mistake free game. Against a team like Clinton, you can't make unforced errors.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see everybody is so concerned about us having to play Reidsville. But we're going to be ok. It's not this teams first game

So with your thinks that the Rams defense is 100 times better than NE who held Clinton to their lowest number of points in the season at 36,so that’s saying you think they can stop Clinton’s offense. Left me give you a clue; Clinton will get what stops there are in the game and baring a turnover Clinton will score on every possession. There won’t be many of them.
Many teams scored 35+ on Ne this year. That’s facts not an insult

I think Reidsville will take this one. I can see Reidsville getting a 2 score lead and forcing Clinton to play from behind.

It's not a knock on Clinton. Clinton has proven they're a great team. 10 is very good. 55 on DL is very good. D is very aggressive and gets after the ball. Offense takes what the D gives.

I will say this, Reidsville corners are a little better than NE. In my opinion QB play for Reidsville will be better. I think NE took some chances they didn't have to when they were still in the game

Thanks. The reason I asked where you lived is because I detected an Eastern bias in your very well written analysis.

It takes a stretch to pick Clinton winning 28-20. Clinton may well win but it is highly unlikely that the Rams will give up 28 and only score 20 points.

Reidsville has given up 28 points only one time this year, in the season opener to Western Alamance when four of the Rams key players were saddled with injuries.

Reidsville has scored at least 41 points in the last 9 consecutive games against some very good competition. You vastly underestimate the Rams offense. People who have not witnessed the explosive nature of the Rams lethal offensive attack will have a hard time understanding that Reidsville can score from any place on the field at any time. And they are fun to watch- unless of course you are pulling for the opposing team.

For the Dark Horses to win they must totally control the ball and not make any mistakes on offense. Keeping the Rams offense off the field is the key to a victory for Clinton.

This game should be a dream come true for our old friend The Wiz as his beloved Dark Horses will be playing for a State Championship in the home of his equally beloved N C State Wolfpack.

Lets all hope for an injury free and exciting game.

P.S. Clinton has always been one of my most favorite teams, along with Shelby. So it's also a dream come true for me at my advanced age to be able to watch Reidsville play Shelby and Clinton in back to back games. What a Blessing.!!

Last edited:
Thanks. The reason I asked where you lived is because I detected an Eastern bias in your very well written analysis.

It takes a stretch to pick Clinton winning 28-20. Clinton may well win but it is highly unlikely that the Rams will give up 28 and only score 20 points.

Reidsville has given up 28 points only one time this year, in the season opener to Western Alamance when four of the Rams key players were saddled with injuries.

Reidsville has scored at least 41 points in the last 9 consecutive games against some very good competition. You vastly underestimate the Rams offense. People who have not witnessed the explosive nature of the Rams lethal offensive attack will have a hard time understanding that Reidsville can score from any place on the field at any time. And they are fun to watch- unless of course you are pulling for the opposing team.

For the Dark Horses to win they must totally control the ball and not make any mistakes on offense. Keeping the Rams offense off the field is the key to a victory for Clinton.

This game should be a dream come true for our old friend The Wiz as his beloved Dark Horses will be playing for a State Championship in the home of his equally beloved N C State Wolfpack.

P.S. Clinton has always been one of my most favorite teams, along with Shelby. So it's also a dream come true for me at my advanced age to be able to watch Reidsville play Shelby and Clinton in back to back games. What a Blessing.!!
I think everyone knows the potential of Reidsville's offense but even though it’s a new year, posters just can’t forget Reidsville only scored 14 offensive points last year against a defense that had zero D1 players.

Clinton thinks they are better, offensively and defensively, than last year’s ED team. My guess is that if Reidsville’s line play isn’t vastly improved from last year, Clinton believes they can accomplish the same thing.

One poster said Reidsville loses the time of possession battle every game because they score so quickly. If the time of possession is 31-17 again this year Clinton probably wins.

I have respected Reidsville’s program for 40+ years. I know their history and applaud it. I am not a hater.

Who knows what will happen when these young men take the field on Saturday. I know I will be watching.

I think everyone knows the potential of Reidsville's offense but even though it’s a new year, posters just can’t forget Reidsville only scored 14 offensive points last year against a defense that had zero D1 players.

Clinton thinks they are better, offensively and defensively, than last year’s ED team. My guess is that if Reidsville’s line play isn’t vastly improved from last year, Clinton believes they can accomplish the same thing.

One poster said Reidsville loses the time of possession battle every game because they score so quickly. If the time of possession is 31-17 again this year Clinton probably wins.

I have respected Reidsville’s program for 40+ years. I know their history and applaud it. I am not a hater.

Who knows what will happen when these young men take the field on Saturday. I know I will be watching.

This is a different team. Last years team had some weopons, Neal and Harrison were freshman. Then you add cam jones

Took six pages, but good to be able to read somebody's opinion that is backed by reasoned observations with a little discernment thrown in. Hope to hear more from you this week, including some post-game analysis.

Don’t underestimate Clinton on both sides of the ball especially defense On offense the Horses will be very difficult to stop
Yes great match up for both of us
Older Clinton fans have not forgotten -998!

Reactions: Rammer16

Good posts

Yes, I always side with those east of 95 with my heart, but I try and prognosticate with my head.

I dont underestimate an explosive offense from scoring if they possess the ball and don't turn it over. I have read and seen enough of the Rams to know they can light it up. The key is getting the football. If I am Clinton, and I win the toss, I take the ball. Make Reidsville show that they can match the physical nature I want to impose. Again, go back to last year against East Duplin. It took 2.5 quarters for the Rams to figure out a very simple offensive game plan. Clinton in my opinion is more diverse and more explosive and has Williams who will be a load. Will the Rams be up to the challenge of stopping an offense like that? I do not think Reidsville wants to play that type of game. I would make them at least a 20 point favorite if Northeastern was the opponent due to what NE likes to do. That style plays into the Rams hands. Ground and pound does not.

Again, my picks have been hit and miss this year. My only concern with Clinton is if they do fall behind or the game is tight late, do they go away from running the football?

I think it will be a great game and am looking forward to it.

Took six pages, but good to be able to read somebody's opinion that is backed by reasoned observations with a little discernment thrown in. Hope to hear more from you this week, including some post-game analysis.
What do you expect from someone with "scribe" in their name.

Sorry it was long winded. Going back to days gone by.

Yes, I always side with those east of 95 with my heart, but I try and prognosticate with my head.

I dont underestimate an explosive offense from scoring if they possess the ball and don't turn it over. I have read and seen enough of the Rams to know they can light it up. The key is getting the football. If I am Clinton, and I win the toss, I take the ball. Make Reidsville show that they can match the physical nature I want to impose. Again, go back to last year against East Duplin. It took 2.5 quarters for the Rams to figure out a very simple offensive game plan. Clinton in my opinion is more diverse and more explosive and has Williams who will be a load. Will the Rams be up to the challenge of stopping an offense like that? I do not think Reidsville wants to play that type of game. I would make them at least a 20 point favorite if Northeastern was the opponent due to what NE likes to do. That style plays into the Rams hands. Ground and pound does not.

Again, my picks have been hit and miss this year. My only concern with Clinton is if they do fall behind or the game is tight late, do they go away from running the football?

It def will be a great game

This game will not be decided on what anyone did last year. Forget last year. Clinton and Reidsville are here because they won the right to be. It’s all about this years team and this years players. To talk about last years team is really irrelevant to what will take place Saturday. I’m looking forward to it. Should be a great game.

This game will not be decided on what anyone did last year. Forget last year. Clinton and Reidsville are here because they won the right to be. It’s all about this years team and this years players. To talk about last years team is really irrelevant to what will take place Saturday. I’m looking forward to it. Should be a great game.
Truer words were never written.

you slept off Arkansas already?

Nor have us "older" Reidsville fans forgotten 1998.

What a glorious time that was. :p :) :):cool:
Name some of the key players from that previous meeting .... doesn't mean anything now but it's still cool to relive the thrilling days of yesteryear ....

Best post so far

Reactions: Rammer16
Reidsville can score from any place on the field at anytime and are fun to watch. That is exactly what we have heard about the last two teams we have played. Just saying
Yea and those 2 teams play absolutely no defense at all. Just saying.

Just few years ago Mt Heritage was a dominant run team and got destroyed by Reidsville. It’s all about heart when stopping the run. This rams team has that. Rams playing the underdog role is going to be dangerous.

All am go say is Paul Wider and Aiden Mansfield is going to have a field day Saturday. They may get 20 tackles a piece.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT