ADVERTISEMENT

Charter School Bill

If charter schools are just about education then let's make them just about education. Don't let them offer Athletics at all, and if kids want to participate in athletics have them participate at the school that they live in said district.
Since when was ANY school ever about anything other than education? WOW! You managed in one sentence to basically explain what the problem is and behind the Charter movement. Obviously, kids want to participate, but I promise it's okay to focus on academic first. Maybe you should try to pass that along in your town!!!

Is it true that teachers at Charter schools do not have to be certified to teach? I've always heard that but unsure if its true or not.
It is true they don't have to have 100% "highly qualified" meaning they must maintain a degree but not in that particular field. However, 99% of all Charter Schools require their staff to be highly qualified in a particular area they are teaching. I know plenty of "traditional" schools that have teachers teaching other subjects so it's not just a charter thing. If you could see the difference in rigor you would understand that being "highly qualified" is a must. There are no comparisons when it comes to academics with Charters and traditionals. NONE!! Charter Schools are very, very rigorous and prepare students for college and being career ready.

Reactions: heelzfor2
It is true they don't have to have 100% "highly qualified" meaning they must maintain a degree but not in that particular field. However, 99% of all Charter Schools require their staff to be highly qualified in a particular area they are teaching. I know plenty of "traditional" schools that have teachers teaching other subjects so it's not just a charter thing. If you could see the difference in rigor you would understand that being "highly qualified" is a must. There are no comparisons when it comes to academics with Charters and traditionals. NONE!! Charter Schools are very, very rigorous and prepare students for college and being career ready.
The charter school(s) you have been around is obviously a top shelf educational institution. Not all are as some have been closed for academic failures. Schools are often approved and allowed to be ran by people that are not qualified or that become corrupt. Kestrel Heights is the prime example but there have been others!

Last edited:
Since when was ANY school ever about anything other than education? WOW! You managed in one sentence to basically explain what the problem is and behind the Charter movement. Obviously, kids want to participate, but I promise it's okay to focus on academic first. Maybe you should try to pass that along in your town!!!
Wow did u get touched in a sensitive spot. Maybe some hurt feeling-oma. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: BK13T-$
What can you tell us about the academics in Maiden?

Wow did u get touched in a sensitive spot. Maybe some hurt feeling-oma. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Again, you make NO sense. Not hurt at all but if you had any sense of the direction our education system, of course minus sports SMH, you would put more emphasis on whether a kid could read, write and solve math equation on an actual high school level. But you hold dear the next transfer your school will receive in order to try and stay relevant. Other states and countries are/have waved bye-bye to NC while we try and solve how to fix the "charter" problem in sports. Seems to be the norm for our society today though. And before you act like I'm this or that, I played 4 years on a sports scholarship for DI and both my kids play in college now on scholarships. And both had academic $$ available is needed. Both attended a Charter School as well and were waaay ahead of most their ages. And it wasn't because of me...lol

What can you tell us about the academics in Maiden?
I can tell you this....I've seen a ton of athletes come out of Catawba County that were very dominant on the sports field. Only to not make it to college because of the academics. I can go back to the 80's, 90's, 2000's, and today. Not just a Maiden thing, its a CC and education thing.

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
I can tell you this....I've seen a ton of athletes come out of Catawba County that were very dominant on the sports field. Only to not make it to college because of the academics. I can go back to the 80's, 90's, 2000's, and today. Not just a Maiden thing, its a CC and education thing.
We've had athletes get scholarships too and attended ivy league schools. Maiden is in the top half if not higher of NC education rankings. Ur living in the 80's early 90's

Education as a whole has taken a one size fits all approach, when it clearly does not. Some kids thrive and some kids don't. It's worse for boys.

Some students also face an "at home" problem that school systems can't fix nor account for. They face burdens outside of school that weigh heavier than learning Grammer and how to read.

Social media has been thrown down everyone's throats, no one knows how to properly navigate the life/usage ratio, nor how to properly have kids use it in an advantageous way. It's an entirely new phenomenon humans are dealing with and our kids are the first in history to deal with it from first to last breath.

College academics are worse than high school for most part, been there done that. As long as you pay your tuition they don't care. Not one of my math professors all through college (engineering major) spoke English as a first language, nor could they put together a full sentence in English. And my one summer semester at NCState was even worse than my college professors.

We've had athletes get scholarships too and attended ivy league schools. Maiden is in the top half if not higher of NC education rankings. Ur livi
He kisses the charter school boot.
I actually don't as I wish I could have sent my son/daughter to the public school in my area in which I grew up and was a part of for years..However, it wasn't a great choice and charter was available. A number of kids and their families have done the same thing and will continue the trend.

Grey Stone on the campus of Pfeiffer College is an excellent academically challenging charter. The school is located in the corner of Stanly County where Cabarrus and Davidson come together with Stanly and the Cabbarus section is only a sliver of land separting Rowan from Stanly. GS can pull students from Stanly, Cabbarus, Rowan, Davidson, Meck, Randolph, Montgomery, Anson, and Richmond. That is parts of nine counties. I was told that a student from Moore County attended at one time but do not know the circumstances.

As more charters have been built I think the amount of students from farther away tightens up. I know the argument that these schools are lottery and do not have space to just admit a student but there have been (NOT at GS) instances of students turning up at a charter when it appeared there were no seats or they would have been well below the wait list number.

A charter with seats available and a dynamic basketball or softball or baseball coach could really make a huge difference. I do not have a huge problem with that EXCEPT they are playing 1A sports. Although not a charter, WS Prep was the perfect example of this. They had teams for several years that would have competed for a 4A title but they were a 1A school. I brought this up to Que a few times and she denied the fact that it was an issue. Same with Bishop McG girls teams for nearly a decade. The right charter in the right area could do the same.

Look at the 1A regional finals in numerous sports, they are mostly non traditional schools.

A few years ago the complete starting lineup of a charter baseball team came from one school (3A I believe). The charter school was very strong, the traditional school had been solid was now in the dumper. Surprised people do not see this a problem that can potentially grow larger.

I spouted about this when people were complaining about Charlotte Catholic winning 2A title at will in most sports. I posted here and other places, told coaches, administrators, and anyone that would listen that there was an elephant in the corner that would far surpass the Parochial issue and it's name is Charter Schools. The elephant has outgrown the corner.

Reactions: beamer24
Dadof 23, regarding the charter you are referencing how many high schools are eligible to have students attend said charter and participate in sports?

Grey Stone on the campus of Pfeiffer College is an excellent academically challenging charter. The school is located in the corner of Stanly County where Cabarrus and Davidson come together with Stanly and the Cabbarus section is only a sliver of land separting Rowan from Stanly. GS can pull students from Stanly, Cabbarus, Rowan, Davidson, Meck, Randolph, Montgomery, Anson, and Richmond. That is parts of nine counties. I was told that a student from Moore County attended at one time but do not know the circumstances.

As more charters have been built I think the amount of students from farther away tightens up. I know the argument that these schools are lottery and do not have space to just admit a student but there have been (NOT at GS) instances of students turning up at a charter when it appeared there were no seats or they would have been well below the wait list number.

A charter with seats available and a dynamic basketball or softball or baseball coach could really make a huge difference. I do not have a huge problem with that EXCEPT they are playing 1A sports. Although not a charter, WS Prep was the perfect example of this. They had teams for several years that would have competed for a 4A title but they were a 1A school. I brought this up to Que a few times and she denied the fact that it was an issue. Same with Bishop McG girls teams for nearly a decade. The right charter in the right area could do the same.

Look at the 1A regional finals in numerous sports, they are mostly non traditional schools.

A few years ago the complete starting lineup of a charter baseball team came from one school (3A I believe). The charter school was very strong, the traditional school had been solid was now in the dumper. Surprised people do not see this a problem that can potentially grow larger.

I spouted about this when people were complaining about Charlotte Catholic winning 2A title at will in most sports. I posted here and other places, told coaches, administrators, and anyone that would listen that there was an elephant in the corner that would far surpass the Parochial issue and it's name is Charter Schools. The elephant has outgrown the corner.
Just fyi Grey stone day is Horrible in athletic

We've had athletes get scholarships too and attended ivy league schools. Maiden is in the top half if not higher of NC education rankings. Ur living in the 80's early 90's
All schools have this issue where kids don’t go because of Academic I mean Mooresville has some of the best n highest % of scores on testing n graduation rates then any NC schools but I know many athlete didn’t go to play sports due to Academics

Just fyi Grey stone day is Horrible in athletic
I am well aware. I am pretty knowledgeable about items I post about. GS is a very strong academic school. They have had coaches that never coached before and struggled with athletics but they have continued to improve. Many in that area wonder what type of success they would have if they put more emphasis on sports.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Read this article from SC. They have taken charter schools a step further with sports oriented charters. For football fans you will remember Davidson Day former HC Chad Grier went to Collegiate in Charleston followed by future Wake Forest / Notre Dame QB Sam Hartman.

What is being defended as non sports oriented charters that are based on an academics basically can morph into something totally different where the principles of education first, funds toward academics with a very limited emphasis on sports gradually get pushed in small increments to building a sports power usually starting with the hire of a successful coach with support from the principal/board.

One item that was interesting is each student in the school from outside the district counts as three students for athletic ADM.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreedomAlum
Heard several radio ads yesterday for Millenium Charter in Mount Airy. The ad stressed no tuition and open to all children who live with their legal guardian anywhere in North Carolina.
How does that work? Are some students learning virtually? Is there a residence program?
I noticed on their website that they have some high school sports and middle school football. How is the school perceived by those in the area?

• Wow
Heard several radio ads yesterday for Millenium Charter in Mount Airy. The ad stressed no tuition and open to all children who live with their legal guardian anywhere in North Carolina.
How does that work? Are some students learning virtually? Is there a residence program?
I noticed on their website that they have some high school sports and middle school football. How is the school perceived by those in the area?
I thought to participate in athletics the primary residence distance rule applied?

Curious to everyone's thoughts on the Charter School Bill trying to be passed that would force all charter schools to play in the highest level. If they are wanting to change the way charter schools are managed, why wouldn't they just make a charter school division? And they can all play each other. Making these small schools play in future 7A classes is pretty dumb in my opinion.
Just an effort to have more teams for the few 4A teams to beat up on.. the state just doesn’t have enough schools with 1500+ kids to support 4A conferences an playoffs..

Just an effort to have more teams for the few 4A teams to beat up on.. the state just doesn’t have enough schools with 1500+ kids to support 4A conferences an playoffs..
There are definitely over 64 schools with 1,500 plus students because there will be nearly fifty with 2,000 for next school year (2023-24).

Read this article from SC. They have taken charter schools a step further with sports oriented charters. For football fans you will remember Davidson Day former HC Chad Grier went to Collegiate in Charleston followed by future Wake Forest / Notre Dame QB Sam Hartman.

What is being defended as non sports oriented charters that are based on an academics basically can morph into something totally different where the principles of education first, funds toward academics with a very limited emphasis on sports gradually get pushed in small increments to building a sports power usually starting with the hire of a successful coach with support from the principal/board.

One item that was interesting is each student in the school from outside the district counts as three students for athletic ADM.

First off, I would like to say that I tried watching soccer yesterday and couldn't get into it with the 2-0 score after what seemed like hours, BUT I think I could have watched the 21-0 game mentioned in the article. Lol.
To the topic.....I know one charter school in SC asked SC high school association to be moved up in classification by at least 2 but was only granted 1 move up. It's not that some of these schools want to beat up on lesser schools, because from the school I dealt with, they wanted to play the biggest and best schools. Their goals was to make the players better and only real competition does that.

Education as a whole has taken a one size fits all approach, when it clearly does not. Some kids thrive and some kids don't. It's worse for boys.

Some students also face an "at home" problem that school systems can't fix nor account for. They face burdens outside of school that weigh heavier than learning Grammer and how to read.

Social media has been thrown down everyone's throats, no one knows how to properly navigate the life/usage ratio, nor how to properly have kids use it in an advantageous way. It's an entirely new phenomenon humans are dealing with and our kids are the first in history to deal with it from first to last breath.

College academics are worse than high school for most part, been there done that. As long as you pay your tuition they don't care. Not one of my math professors all through college (engineering major) spoke English as a first language, nor could they put together a full sentence in English. And my one summer semester at NCState was even worse than my college professors.
Heh-my brother is a mechanical engineer who also went to State. He told me a story once about his professor for heat transfer. The professor was a genius in his field and helped develop the heat tiles used on the space shuttle. He was from somewhere on the Indian subcontinent and his English wasn't great. My brother said that when he would be describing some complicated process and he would look out at a sea of confused faces his explanation would always be "you will just see it-intuitively!"
In fairness I know a lot of kids who struggle with the concepts of higher math will often find help on YouTube and a lot of the popular teachers there who help people understand all that are also Indian.

That seems like a fair formula. There are solutions to a lot of our problems, usually inertia is what stops us from applying them.

6/8 schools in the 1A girls soccer state quarterfinals were charter , private. Got a school like Hobbton from a town of less than 600 people competing for titles with schools from the Charlotte , raleigh, and chapel hill areas. What a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mbulld and BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT