ADVERTISEMENT

Charter School Bill

BleedBurnsBlue

Sep 29, 2009
Curious to everyone's thoughts on the Charter School Bill trying to be passed that would force all charter schools to play in the highest level. If they are wanting to change the way charter schools are managed, why wouldn't they just make a charter school division? And they can all play each other. Making these small schools play in future 7A classes is pretty dumb in my opinion.

It will kill charter school athletics period! This stupid and dumb and people truly dont understand charter school dymanics everyone want say they have a advantage or recruit ...... If u actually listen to the folks who actually work in charter schools n stuff , The majority dont offer all sports, most arent very success in sports and only a handful are.

like someone said not all charter schools are created equal and every charter school is different and have their own challenges

I like it!! Whatever it can do to lesser their chances in winning anything, I am for it. I dont think Soccer and Tennis will suffer that much, they will still Be loaded

Link?

I've not heard anything about moving them up to 7a.

I've heard about placing charters in the class of surrounding schools they pull from.
Is that what your talking about?

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Yawn...nothing to see here but the same ole grumblings from the same ole folks that doesn't care for or care to understand the "why" behind charters. Again, Charters were created because of how bad "traditional" public schools have become. Whether it is a demographic problem or academic problem, the problem exists which creates another alternative. I'll say this again, if you think kids are leaving "traditional" public schools to attend Charters solely for athletics, well, you are wrong. I will say they are leaving to go to private schools strictly for athletics but most can't afford that. Charters make sense for a ton of reasons and not sure, other than sports, why most can't see the positives. If you have ever walked the halls of a Charter School, which I would have to say make up only about 1% of the complainers, you would see a different make-up of students. You aren't in the presence of stud athletes from wall to wall like most think. The state is trying its best to separate the Charters without being sued. Give them time, and all of you will have your day when there will be no Charters in your conferences. Then you can go back to complaining about how bad school A is recruiting kids from school B. SMH. Reminder: there were rules in place waaaaaay before Charters to deflect the recruiting, transferring, etc. My problem is I don't understand why some don't have a problem when a kid plays at say East Lincoln for 3 years and transfers to say Lincolnton (nothing) or when a family and kid plays for say Bandys and then miraculously transfers to say Maiden (nothing). I could keep going but you get my point. Good luck and I KNOW CHARTER coaches, families and communities hope and pray they all get charter in their own league. Until then, remember, 99% of all Charters have to follow a rule. If not, they get shut down. There is a lottery and if you are on the list and they call your name you are allowed to attend . If not, no matter how great of an athlete or connected you are (unlike "traditional see above statement) you don't get in. Best of luck and I'm hoping that ALL Charters have their own classification at some point.

Charters make sense for a ton of reasons and not sure, other than sports, why most can't see the positives. If you have ever walked the halls of a Charter School, which I would have to say make up only about 1% of the complainers, you would see a different make-up of students.

I can't walk the halls of a charter school where I live--the one we had closed because of financial irregularities.

Also, if people want to go to a school with a "different make up of students," fine. Pay for private school. Don't give my tax dollars for a school that I don't get a say in electing the board for and I can't ensure my kid can go to.

Last edited:
I can't walk the halls of a charter school where I live--the one we had closed because of financial irregularities.

Also, if people want to go to a school with a "different make up of students," fine. Pay for private school. Don't give my tax dollars for a school that I don't get a say in electing the board for and I can't ensure my kid can go to.
Oh, so it's about tax $$ now. Hate to break this to you, but your state/local tax $$ goes to a ton of entities in which YOU/ME have NO control. Education should be one area; however, that NO one really minds paying regardless if you have control or not. I think you said something that goes to the root of Charters and small-town NC... CONTROL or "get a say"! ! A lot of "good ol boy" politics still rule the smaller areas and most feel like they still have a "voice" in a lot of the matters. WIth Charter it feels like you don't, but Charters Board of Education is voted on by the parents, community, teachers, and admin., so they have a huge say. If you would ever attend a Charter meeting at an established school, you would see the same things as a "traditional" school. Parents are encouraged to have a voice and really have input as to what is going on at that particular school. I've been in both, and I will say that I felt more appreciated, herd, respected at the Charter Board than I ever did at the County School Board meetings.
Now back to sports and the topic, I sure hope as all Charter parents, coaches, players, etc. that they do separate Charters from "traditional." It will make for more competitive playing for Charters. I do agree that some, not all, Charters need to be playing up if it doesn't pass.

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
We do have a say here in the mountains.
Cherokee county just sent back grant for school. That happened because the people pushed the county to do it.
Robbinsville pushed back in the early 90s when they tried to call us Graham County otters 🦦.

Link?

I've not heard anything about moving them up to 7a.

I've heard about placing charters in the class of surrounding schools they pull from.
Is that what your talking about?
I believe so. If a charter school in a large metro area...say charlotte...has the largest percentage of their students who live in the XYZ High school's school district...then they would play sports in a division with that size school.

Let's imagine Catawba Charter is a school as an example. They have 700 kids. This fake school is located in Hickory. Of the 700 kids, 30% would normally be at Hickory High, 30% Saint Stephens, the other 40% would have normally attended Newton, Bunker Hill, South Caldwell, and other schools. In our current 4A classification system, I believe they would look at the breakdown and declare that Catawba Charter would need to play in a 4A conference due to their makeup.

I may have misunderstood, but that's what i believe it meant at first glance.

Unless something has changed, money is given out to schools per student. Say the state is giving $7k per student, that money follows the student to what school they are attending whether it be public traditional or charter. So it's not like charters are causing any increase in tax because the money was following the student regardless of which public school they go to.

Reactions: Dadof23
Yawn...nothing to see here but the same ole grumblings from the same ole folks that doesn't care for or care to understand the "why" behind charters. Again, Charters were created because of how bad "traditional" public schools have become. Whether it is a demographic problem or academic problem, the problem exists which creates another alternative. I'll say this again, if you think kids are leaving "traditional" public schools to attend Charters solely for athletics, well, you are wrong. I will say they are leaving to go to private schools strictly for athletics but most can't afford that. Charters make sense for a ton of reasons and not sure, other than sports, why most can't see the positives. If you have ever walked the halls of a Charter School, which I would have to say make up only about 1% of the complainers, you would see a different make-up of students. You aren't in the presence of stud athletes from wall to wall like most think. The state is trying its best to separate the Charters without being sued. Give them time, and all of you will have your day when there will be no Charters in your conferences. Then you can go back to complaining about how bad school A is recruiting kids from school B. SMH. Reminder: there were rules in place waaaaaay before Charters to deflect the recruiting, transferring, etc. My problem is I don't understand why some don't have a problem when a kid plays at say East Lincoln for 3 years and transfers to say Lincolnton (nothing) or when a family and kid plays for say Bandys and then miraculously transfers to say Maiden (nothing). I could keep going but you get my point. Good luck and I KNOW CHARTER coaches, families and communities hope and pray they all get charter in their own league. Until then, remember, 99% of all Charters have to follow a rule. If not, they get shut down. There is a lottery and if you are on the list and they call your name you are allowed to attend . If not, no matter how great of an athlete or connected you are (unlike "traditional see above statement) you don't get in. Best of luck and I'm hoping that ALL Charters have their own classification at some point.

Again.. If public schools were properly funded, charters would not exist. Except for places where they dont like diversity aka Bethany.

Reactions: Champ_24
Unless something has changed, money is given out to schools per student. Say the state is giving $7k per student, that money follows the student to what school they are attending whether it be public traditional or charter. So it's not like charters are causing any increase in tax because the money was following the student regardless of which public school they go to.
Who said anything about taxes going up? I'm saying I think it's a better use of tax dollars to fund schools that are under an elected local board and don't have lotteries and waiting lists.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
Again.. If public schools were properly funded, charters would not exist. Except for places where they dont like diversity aka Bethany.
I don't think it's funding because each school would get the same amount per student.
I think it's more of a curriculum difference in the reason a lot of parents choose charter over traditional public. I know it was the reason for my choice in going charter for my kid. My kids traditional public school zone was very good and I even paid the out of area fees($1414/year) throughout elementary years to attend the school I wanted. I know all charters are not created equal, but from my experiences, the charter curriculum was well ahead of traditional public. At the one we eventually got in, we had students graduating with 1, 2 and even 3 associate degrees before they even got their high school diploma. Mine went to college as a first year 18 year old student this last fall(22) and will have her bachelor's in December of this year(23). I think 80% of her class already had at least 1 year of college finished before officially ending high school.

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
I don't think it's funding because each school would get the same amount per student.
I think it's more of a curriculum difference in the reason a lot of parents choose charter over traditional public. I know it was the reason for my choice in going charter for my kid. My kids traditional public school zone was very good and I even paid the out of area fees($1414/year) throughout elementary years to attend the school I wanted. I know all charters are not created equal, but from my experiences, the charter curriculum was well ahead of traditional public. At the one we eventually got in, we had students graduating with 1, 2 and even 3 associate degrees before they even got their high school diploma. Mine went to college as a first year 18 year old student this last fall(22) and will have her bachelor's in December of this year(23). I think 80% of her class already had at least 1 year of college finished before officially ending high school.

How does a charter schools differ from an Early/Middle college?

Who said anything about taxes going up? I'm saying I prefer taxes to go to schools that are under an elected local board and don't turn kids away using a lottery.
I was just saying, it's the same money regardless of which school gets it. I understand what you mean by not having a say in elected boards, not sure how a compromise would be with that but the super majority wouldn't even care still if you look at local elections. Places are lucky to get 15% turnout in local races.

How does a charter schools differ from an Early/Middle college?
Early Colleges are typically run by a local board of education in conjunction with a local community college. Their selling point is graduating with a high school diploma and an associate's (although a lot of kids do that at other high schools now, as well). Charter schools have a private board (like a corporation) but get the per pupil money from the state for the kids that go there. They will typically have more freedom with their curriculum, who they can hire, where kids can live to attend, and some other things.

Last edited:
If charter schools are just about education then let's make them just about education. Don't let them offer Athletics at all, and if kids want to participate in athletics have them participate at the school that they live in said district.

Or let's just go ahead and open up school choice to the whole state of North Carolina. Granted we wouldn't be able to say anything about how East Lincoln pulls students from Lincoln County Catawba County iredell County Mecklenburg County Gaston County 🤣🤣

• Sad
Is it true that teachers at Charter schools do not have to be certified to teach? I've always heard that but unsure if its true or not.

Is it true that teachers at Charter schools do not have to be certified to teach? I've always heard that but unsure if its true or not.
Correct...I had mine at one charter before we found the right charter for us. She said they wasn't teaching anything and she learned more at her former traditional public school. Had one class were the teacher came in and played a tutorial video everyday. Kid wasn't sure if the teacher knew a lick of Latin. There was hiring of teachers on by who knew who. All charters are definitely not the same.

If charters were in there own class what would be the adm discrepancy for that class?

Who care.

If charters were in there own class 1a would have more discrepancy than Charters under our 1a-4a setup we have now.

I believe they are required to have LESS certified teachers percentage wise than a traditional public school.

Reactions: heelzfor2
It would hold underperforming schools responsible for their shortcomings in education and the extracurricular activities.
Or it would continue to make it worse by stripping them of the few resources they have. More money doesn’t always guarantee better outcomes, but less money than the bare minimum guarantees worse ones.
It’s easier to sell privatization and for profit education if you disguise it as parental choice.

Reactions: ref4e
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT