ADVERTISEMENT

Chappell steps down at Pisgah

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont have a dog in the fight, but if i were a coach i wouldnt touch the pisgah job. Assuming there wasnt something going on behind the scenes that is not known, it is crazy that they paved the way for Chappell to step down. He may have been a problem personality wise, but i would be beyond shocked if they find anyone better. Being a good coach isnt a popularity contest and the on field product chappell produced was very good.

Are you the Ghost of Haywood Past, like back in the day when people from Waynesville used to live in Waynesville?
You want to go there? That went both ways…. Hey was that u haul gas or diesel?
I heard it was from anonymous sources.. LOL

Another big time Coach stepped down today too from what I am hearing. It appears the clearance house has spread to Macon County.

Reactions: 91ths
I dont have a dog in the fight, but if i were a coach i wouldnt touch the pisgah job. Assuming there wasnt something going on behind the scenes that is not known, it is crazy that they paved the way for Chappell to step down. He may have been a problem personality wise, but i would be beyond shocked if they find anyone better. Being a good coach isnt a popularity contest and the on field product chappell produced was very good.
Correct, but you don’t want to hurt Mommy and Daddy’s feelings. It will be hard to replace his success with the talent level he has had to work with yearly. Guy did more with less than anyone in WNC.

Word has it they told Chappell he had to step down after their big win over NH and before the first home playoff game!!!! I can tell you one thing, if I was a parent on that team, especially of a senior, someone would have to answer for that. Why in the world would you want anything but the upcoming game on your HC mind? Who is thinking about the program? If this is true, he coached for two weeks straight with the weight of that on his shoulders. Better man than I am.

Word has it they told Chappell he had to step down after their big win over NH and before the first home playoff game!!!! I can tell you one thing, if I was a parent on that team, especially of a senior, someone would have to answer for that. Why in the world would you want anything but the upcoming game on your HC mind? Who is thinking about the program? If this is true, he coached for two weeks straight with the weight of that on his shoulders. Better man than I am.
Why does this not surprise me coming outta canton?

Hitch Hiker Reaction GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival

I don't know much about the situation and we may never know but never forget that he took over after David Pressley went 8-15 in his final 2 seasons and in year 1, won 9 games and made the 2nd round of the playoffs. 94-39 over 11 seasons and 9-2 in the Pisgah/Tuscola game, are what some schools dream of. Brett Chappell is a winner and will definitely land on his feet somewhere.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Wonder how many of those have been seen in Waynesville during Chappels tenure at Pisgah? Dont you think this meme/gif/oic/wtf you want to call it is a bit out of place if not downright hypocritical?
Not one bit

Chappell did a good job at Pisgah, I dont think too many can argue that. IDK the circumstances of his decision, (and dont really care either thats his affair) I have read all the speculative posts on this thread as to why. Coaches are hired they are fired or choose to leave. As for being difficult to work with, IDK I never worked with him but have worked with some that were exceptional in their indifference if not outright distain for media and other entities outside their own programs. Its not unusual. And I have worked with coaches that were very good to exceptional in their willingness to accommodate others with jobs to do which IS fairly unusual. At any rate, I doubt this is the reason for his choosing to leave PHS. If there was any pressure for Chappell to resign at PHS as some have said, (and Im not sure this is the case at all) the only reason I can think of is that PHS wants a coach that is not looking everywhere else every year, for a better job. I hope Chappell finds his better job is all I can say.

This job will definitely generate some interest. I have heard a couple prominent WNC names tied to applications. One name in particular shocked me…

But, any chance Pisgah promotes from within instead of looking elsewhere?

We took our lumps on here every time we had a coach carousel. It’s just their turn. So yea not one bit!
Thats the truth y'all. We've had it good the last decade or so. I'm hoping for the best with the new hire but I'll admit I fear the worst. Its going to be really difficult to convince someone as good as Chappell to come to Canton. Thats just the reality and everyone in Canton had best make their peace with it.

Reactions: 91ths
This job will definitely generate some interest. I have heard a couple prominent WNC names tied to applications. One name in particular shocked me…

But, any chance Pisgah promotes from within instead of looking elsewhere?
I say cast the net far and wide and we all may be surprised at some of the names that might show interest.

The job pays well for NC, you have a strong fanbase and booster club, it’s in an area that a lot of people want to move to(good and bad), and you still have good youth programs that still feed into the program. Overall, it’s still a great community.

I’ll admit when Tuscola had Lloyd on the line a few years, I would have never guessed someone of that caliber would have been interested in their program, and the in fighting it had going on at the time, but he was. We may be that shiny apple in someone else’s eye that is afar off.

The right guy may be on staff, one, maybe two are capable, but look at all options before settling because we may be more attractive to others than we think. Some names that we haven’t thought of or even know.

(We could also find we’re less attractive to some as a result of how we handled this scenario right at the end. )

Reactions: WNC Football 101
Brett want be without a job long. Maybe he is or maybe he isn't tough to deal with but he took over a program w monster expectations and dealt with situations after situations and handled them with class. His teams played hard and were well coached. Some program will get very lucky

Yeah i imagine 5 years from now, the powers to be at pisgah will be regretting letting him go elsewhere. Good coaches are hard to find and he is a very good one.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Yeah i imagine 5 years from now, the powers to be at pisgah will be regretting letting him go elsewhere. Good coaches are hard to find and he is a very good one.

He is a good coach but the odds of him being at Pisgah next year were slim to none. Both sides felt that but it doesn’t appear the administration handled it with as much tact as could have been afforded with the timing of when he received the news.

Kind of a send off that was going to happen, almost one way or the other, it was just a matter of whether it was him or the school delivering the message. The school just appears to have done it with the middle finger extended when it wasn’t necessary.

Last edited:
He is a good coach but the odds of him being at Pisgah next year were slim to none. Both sides felt that but it doesn’t appear the administration handled it with as much tact as could have been afforded with the timing of when he received the news.

Kind of a send off that was going to happen, almost one way or the other, it was just a matter of whether it was him or the school delivering the message. The school just appears to have done it with the middle finger extended when it wasn’t necessary.
Yeah i know nothing of the situation really. However, if it is true that he was told one or two weeks before the end of the season then thats not only unfair to him but the kids on the team as well. Very tuscolaish...lol.

If I was Pisgah I would reach out to the Hampton coach y’all played this year. He is a blue collar type coach. His team has got better as the year went. They are in the 3rd round in the playoffs playing Friday at home. Don’t know if he would leave TN but money talks.

Thats the truth y'all. We've had it good the last decade or so. I'm hoping for the best with the new hire but I'll admit I fear the worst. Its going to be really difficult to convince someone as good as Chappell to come to Canton. Thats just the reality and everyone in Canton had best make their peace with it.
Why would any respectable candidate apply? Admin telling him he’s being let go before playoffs and then leaking it out to his staff and the community. Sounds like Chappell tolerated a backstabbing administration and AD longer than he should have.

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by “regret” and “good coaches”. If you mean he wins a lot you’re exactly right. If you’re talking about some other parts of coaching…not so much. I’ll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by “regret” and “good coaches”. If you mean he wins a lot you’re exactly right. If you’re talking about some other parts of coaching…not so much. I’ll just leave it at that.

There are plenty of coaches that are good with X’s and O’s and can’t build a program like Chappell did. You gotta be good at “the other parts of coaching”?? Please elaborate.
So he doesn’t cave to the popular vote, he makes tough decisions and doesn’t tell people what they want to hear? Maybe he is a donkeys butt-I’ve admittedly never worked with him but I’ve talked to a lot of “the small people” who have- Not the few with big mouths that get their feelings hurt because he doesn’t roll over or kiss their butt. I remember when people used to respect those qualities. Seems now days only thing people want is a yes man with no backbone.

There are plenty of coaches that are good with X’s and O’s and can’t build a program like Chappell did. You gotta be good at “the other parts of coaching”?? Please elaborate.
So he doesn’t cave to the popular vote, he makes tough decisions and doesn’t tell people what they want to hear? Maybe he is a donkeys butt-I’ve admittedly never worked with him but I’ve talked to a lot of “the small people” who have- Not the few with big mouths that get their feelings hurt because he doesn’t roll over or kiss their butt. I remember when people used to respect those qualities. Seems now days only thing people want is a yes man with no backbone.
Just from my perspective, it may not be best to air this part out on a message board.

Reactions: 91ths and ocdavis31
Could never get past second round
He did at East Henderson , one play away from Championship game at EL. Fine Man Excellent Coach,
He had a winning record vs Hibriten at East . Pisgah's Loss somebody else's gain. Coaches like him are hard to
Find . At east we are on Number 5 , all good guys but none in his league.

Good Luck .

There were problems in this situation that apparently most of you weren’t aware of that don’t need to be aired out here. It’s over and done with. I will say anytime you take on a coaching job at the high school level or below you’re gonna deal with some mommy and daddy issues. However, this was a bit different. Both parties will be fine, coach had went as far as telling the team he was gone last year before his job offer fell through (wasn’t the best move, not saying it was his fault, supposedly the job was a sure thing until it wasn’t, just bad circumstances. Something hasn’t felt right ever since) so he was looking around. I wish him the best and as stated he won’t be without a job for long. As far as the program goes they are going to have plenty of interest, regardless of what some people on here may say. With the right hire, the program will be fine.
Funny how all kinds of new Pisgah posters made usernames or came out of retirement for this.

Anyone think about maybe he doesn't want to coach anymore? He does have a son that's active in sports. Maybe he wants to step away and watch him. Just a thought.

Reactions: PBBear51
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT