ADVERTISEMENT

Owen searching for a new coach again

owen98

Jul 20, 2006

I knew it was coming. I like a lot of what Gibson did but 3 wins in 2 seasons is not enough. It’s especially bothersome that the previous coach caught so much flack but won 4 games in 1 season. I wish Kenny would come back and groom the next coach

Who is on Owen’s list of coaches to go after? Can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that sticks out as a potential candidate. The amount of turnover since Coach Ford retired suggests there may be some issues beyond the control of a football coach that make the job less desirable.

When Coach Ford left I suspect it was likely the principal at the time that caused his premature retirement. 2 years ago she left and we have had 2 principles since. Idk what’s going on but I think it is a great job if someone is willing to go to the youth league and install their system and look to have a good season in about 5 years. It could potentially turn around quicker with the right guy but that would require a Joey Robinson Brett Chapel type. I would love for Brett to come on down I-40

The story I get is the dynamics of the surrounding area have changed and the number of kids has dropped. Whether that is true or not, I don't know but one can look at Brevard, Waynesville, and soon, Canton, to see what happens when you lose blue collar jobs and families have to seek employment and/or housing elsewhere so we can host the wrong kind of halfbacks from Fla, Ga, and the Gulf Coast.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Brevard has managed to regroup and put their program back together. It will be interesting to see what the impact is on Canton/Pisgah. Will be interesting to see who gets that job as well.

Owen had Drexel, Anvil, Beacon, Charles D Owen Mfg, Bussmann and more that closed. It killed us in that aspect no doubt. Also Ingles buys up everything in the area to keep anything from moving in on their doorstep of the their warehouse. Black Mountain needs to put their foot down on this stuff but so many want to keep it small town that they won’t. Ingles buys up everything and leaves it vacant. It’s aggravating. We use to have Roses, Food Lion and Bilo and when they closed they bought them up

Owen had Drexel, Anvil, Beacon, Charles D Owen Mfg, Bussmann and more that closed. It killed us in that aspect no doubt. Also Ingles buys up everything in the area to keep anything from moving in on their doorstep of the their warehouse. Black Mountain needs to put their foot down on this stuff but so many want to keep it small town that they won’t. Ingles buys up everything and leaves it vacant. It’s aggravating. We use to have Roses, Food Lion and Bilo and when they closed they bought them up
They bought the old K-mart in Waynesville to keep Aldi out.

• Angry
Reactions: owen98
With Brad Johnson’s boys coming to play at Carolina he should just move back to Black Mountain to be close and take over the head coaching job at Owen

Brad Johnson, Vince Lombardi, Kenny Ford, or Nick Saban can’t fix the problems there. The revolving door will continue. Nobody in their right mind would want this job.

Last edited:
Brad Johnson, Vince Lombardi, Kenny Ford, or Nick Saban can’t fix the problems there. The revolving door will continue. Nobody in their right mind would want this job.
Probably less than 30 people played this year and they didn’t field a junior high squad. There’s talent within that school as they have a good soccer team. Changing the culture within the football team will take some time. It’s not like 10 years ago when they could compete yearly for the WHC championship. Some talent has migrated away from the school which was the opposite of what happened during Kenny’s run.

Owen played a middle school schedule last year rather than junior high

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT