ADVERTISEMENT

Catawba Valley 2A Early Outlook

Not that anyone outside of Lincolnton cares how St. Stephens and the Wolves did, except maybe AMD. There were some highs and lows for both teams. Seemed like when we scored it got called back. I remember them scoring, at least once, but I think it got called back, too.

We made some progress against them running and throwing and they made some against us in the same way. They looked bigger but so does the entire world. I say this respectfully, but I feel like we had the edge in speed, passing and defense, and if this had been a regulation game we would have won. It is hard to gauge things from a scrimmage.

Not that anyone outside of Lincolnton cares how St. Stephens and the Wolves did, except maybe AMD. There were some highs and lows for both teams. Seemed like when we scored it got called back. I remember them scoring, at least once, but I think it got called back, too.

We made some progress against them running and throwing and they made some against us in the same way. They looked bigger but so does the entire world. I say this respectfully, but I feel like we had the edge in speed, passing and defense, and if this had been a regulation game we would have won. It is hard to gauge things from a scrimmage.
Yeah scrimmages can be difficult to get a read on because the coaches are subbing in and out. And experimenting with line ups.

Bears absolutely dismantled Draughn !
AMD, you see this, don't you ! Tell me you aren't concerned.
He is Maddox McRee and the grandson of former Maiden great Mike McRee. He is a 3 sport star and has a NIL deal that will keep him home in Hickory.
The first college game I saw was Lenoir-Rhyne versus Appalachian State at College Field in Hickory. Maiden quarterback M. McRee, was quarterbacking LR, and Kings Mountain's Pat Murphy was the QB for ASU. Remember thinking how much faster college footballs was, particularly the quarterbacks, than at the high school level.

AMD, you see this, don't you ! Tell me you aren't concerned.

The first college game I saw was Lenoir-Rhyne versus Appalachian State at College Field in Hickory. Maiden quarterback M. McRee, was quarterbacking LR, and Kings Mountain's Pat Murphy was the QB for ASU. Remember thinking how much faster college footballs was, particularly the quarterbacks, than at the high school level.
Lol concerned no. Long season our young kids will get better every week

He is Maddox McRee and the grandson of former Maiden great Mike McRee. He is a 3 sport star and has a NIL deal that will keep him home in Hickory.
Damn I would say we could play on his family tradition. But QB is a position we are gonna be back logged at for near future. Jv QB lawing looks good then u have an athletic 9th grade QB that moved in from Newton. And then there is a very talented QB from northern neighbors that regrets not moving this year and is talking about it next year.

He only comes out when needed.
Clearly…you didn’t need him last night.

Very impressed with the Red Tornadoes across the board! Duck

…explosive offense and a stifling defense. I’m sticking with my pick that Hickory wins their conference after seeing them play. I know it’s just a scrimmage; but, it was truly an impressive performance!

Gotta feeling y’all are pretty excited about this bunch!…I would be!

Good luck the rest of the way! Brother. 😉

Clearly…you didn’t need him last night.

Very impressed with the Red Tornadoes across the board! Duck

…explosive offense and a stifling defense. I’m sticking with my pick that Hickory wins their conference after seeing them play. I know it’s just a scrimmage; but, it was truly an impressive performance!

Gotta feeling y’all are pretty excited about this bunch!…I would be!

Good luck the rest of the way! Brother. 😉
The seniors and juniors have been in Joe's system for 3 years now. Lots of skill talent. Our starting mlb is 3rd all time in passing yards and tds in HHS career. I got to watch the HUDL film of the action and the Red Tornadoes looked very good. Tomorrow night will be another opportunity to gauge their progress from last year.

The line has been bolstered by upcoming JV players that enjoyed a year of seasoning last year.

Good luck to your Devils.

Last edited:
The seniors and juniors have been in Joe's system for 3 years now. Lots of skill talent. Our starting mlb is 3rd all time in passing yards and tds in HHS career. I got to watch the HUDL film of the action and the Red Tornadoes looked very good. Tomorrow night will be another opportunity to gauge their progress from last year.

The line has been bolstered by upcoming JV players that enjoyed a year of seasoning last year.

Good luck to your Devils.
3 years!

Anyone going and interested in meeting at the game
I’ll be there…look forward to meeting you.

It just hit me….Coach Byrne was at West Forsyth before coming to Maiden. …It’s starting make sense now.

I’ve got some great “official” stories too…from one of my closest friends.

Let me know!😉

I’ll be there…look forward to meeting you.

It just hit me….Coach Byrne was at West Forsyth before coming to Maiden. …It’s starting make sense now.

I’ve got some great “official” stories too…from one of my closest friends.

Let me know!😉
Not a coach, but will be on Central Davidson sideline, probably outside the coaches box. I will be wearing a gray long sleeve t shirt and a CD hat.

Not a coach, but will be on Central Davidson sideline, probably outside the coaches box. I will be wearing a gray long sleeve t shirt and a CD hat.
Nice meeting you tonight! Sportsnut.

Enjoyed the game too…almost felt like a real one.

Very competitive as it went back and forth.

Central Davidson does what they do on offense very well. Kinda reminded me of West Lincoln.

Good luck to Central Davidson and their coaches the rest of the way!👍

Nice meeting you tonight! Sportsnut.

Enjoyed the game too…almost felt like a real one.

Very competitive as it went back and forth.

Central Davidson does what they do on offense very well. Kinda reminded me of West Lincoln.

Good luck to Central Davidson and their coaches the rest of the way!👍
Yes they have a very unique situation that quarterback looks like he's about 5'2 and he gets under center with his knee almost on the ground. Defensive side of the ball you cannot see him back there just on top of his helmet and you don't know what he's doing with the ball back there where they're handing off keeping it or whatever

Last edited:
Night and day difference tonight we looked good. Still some small issues to iron out but we looked more like the maiden blue devils tonight
We need to get a harder push from the O line on running plays.Defense overall looked ok but needs to be strengthened in the middle. That little QB was hard for them to see I’m sure. QB is throwing off his front foot causes him to push the ball a bit.Overall for 2nd scrimmage pretty good job!

Keep in mind they got 1 day of game planning in for this team with a different style of play. And the line zone blocks so u typically don't see that mauling style block. But our line i think has 1 Jr rest are sophomore and freshman they will get better every week as they start synchronizing with each other. Kendall Roberts looked good carrying the ball at RB. And sifford made some great plays at WR. Stover was out with strep throat so that was JV QB playing

Wow, what a difference 2 days can make, at Hickory we had a rough start while making a lot of adjustments. We settled down and played better in the game scenario with Stover as QB. Hickory has a good football team and I wouldn’t be surprised if they win their conference. Tonight though, BLUE looked much better against a tough Central Davidson squad. The sophomore Lawing, looked good at QB and the adjustments Byrne and his staff made were spot on! We’re young but gritty and I’ll take that any day. Tradition never graduates, Let the smoke roll!

Yes they have a very unique situation that quarterback looks like he's about 5'2 and he gets understand with his knee almost on the ground. Defensive side of the ball you cannot see him back there just on top of his helmet and you don't know what he's doing with the ball back there where they're handing off keeping it or whatever
AMD, you can’t be serious saying the Central Davidson quarterback looks like he is 52, which would only make him about twenty years younger than me.
Hey, his son might have been the nose guard.
I thought the only team with a players that age was Cherryville Post 100.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT