ADVERTISEMENT

Best ever?

Just because ONE player makes it to the NFL every 10 or so years does not mean your WHOLE TEAM can compete with a 4A/4AA school that may have 5 or 6 with NFL potential every year.
Tarboro has had several in the NFL over the past few years. Lewis was DPOY in the Big Ten last season I believe.

Tarboro has had several in the NFL over the past few years. Lewis was DPOY in the Big Ten last season I believe.
They have had more of their players arrested than they have put into nfl...you will see more tarboro players on the 30 day arrest report than you will on nfl rosters...tarboro's pizza huts stay on alert!

Could this year's Tarboro team be the best 1A team ever? All season they have only had 12 points scored on them. Their last five games they have scored in the 60's and shut out every team. I don't know if I've ever seen a team that dominant. Is it because football in their area is just really bad or are they just that good?
If you look at Simmons Ratings, Tarboro is in the strongest 1A conference in the state. If you pull Tarboro out of the numbers, the Eastern Plains 1A is still #1 or #2 among non-split 1A conferences. The Vikings have a 3A and a couple of 2As on the non-conference schedule. Tarboro is a 1A size school with a 3A football infrastructure. Tarboro is pretty average in terms of competitiveness in most every other sport compared to it's 1A peers, but football was vital to the local identity back when the school was much larger. The feeders programs, the facilities, the commitment far exceeds what you would expect from a 1A program.

Tarboro is a great program but they are playing down in competition. Not saying they wouldnt be a great 2a but the schools they are playing dont match up to them even on their down years. Plus they have students who transfer in just to play football. One night one of the players said it on tv that he glad he choose to go to Tarboro if not he would of had to play at Southeast Halifax

Yea that the article I read a couple months ago. The owner dropped the charges and they got a in house suspension of 4 games. You cant play HS sports with a Felony.

Reactions: Bearfan71
I think this is is correct:
Albemarle has one on active roster (Denico Autry Indy) and one on practice squad (RJ Prince Pittsburgh).

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/Police/2018/06/14/Police-nab-three-teens-in-break-in.html
I guess tarboro key to success is to go recruit kids off the 30 day arrest report
Have no insight into this specific situation, but here’s some food for thought. About three years ago, Thomasville initiated a policy that is more stringent than that of the state. After a rash of student arrests, a policy was implemented that imposed a mandatory 180 day suspension from all extracurricular activities for a felony arrest. Lesser suspensions for misdemeanor arrests. It’s been an excellent deterrent. Very little in the way of arrests since then. Positive impact on gang activity as well.

Lol one day the Vikes will get surprised might not be this year or next but they will get beat I'm Rams fan and Gurley fan I remember in 08 when Mt Airy won the 1 A title in single A thomasville fans were calling us care bears as we left the stadium the next year we handed it to them in the regular season a loss in non conference you don't stay at the top forever

So when I pull your string, is this the only song your going to sing? Yeah, this toy is kind of boring.
Dang you come up with that one by yourself..proud of ya oldtimer, maybe you can ask Santa for a new toy for Christmas, shoot we know tarboro is getting coal and pizza “inn” coupons so maybe they’ll stop robbing it

Could this year's Tarboro team be the best 1A team ever? All season they have only had 12 points scored on them. Their last five games they have scored in the 60's and shut out every team. I don't know if I've ever seen a team that dominant. Is it because football in their area is just really bad or are they just that good?
nooo way .... there competition is down ...

Reactions: BigManWithAPlan
Being born somewhere means nothing, if thats the criteria then Michael Jordan is a New Yorker, even though he spent less than year of his life there and all his family is from North Carolina.

Reactions: Wolf4Lyfe
I won’t say Tarboro is the best “Ever”you guys only been in 1AA what? 6 years now?

You guys are talented I’ll give you that, and I’m rooting for ya. But the West had some strong teams back in the early 2000s. But I’d have to say the best ever at this point would be the 2002-2003 Albemarle Bulldogs...nobody was beating them...they’d definitely give today’s Tarboro a Run for their money.

Is Todd Gurley a true local

I won’t say Tarboro is the best “Ever”you guys only been in 1AA what? 6 years now?

You guys are talented I’ll give you that, and I’m rooting for ya. But the West had some strong teams back in the early 2000s. But I’d have to say the best ever at this point would be the 2002-2003 Albemarle Bulldogs...nobody was beating them...they’d definitely give today’s Tarboro a Run for their money.
02' and 03' Albemarle were great teams but each one had three games decided by a TD or less, so hard to call them unbeatable. '01 Albemarle lost a game but was more dominant overall and had TA while the other two did not.

Last edited:
Reactions: atucker2
There is no right or wrong answer, different teams and different eras. '75 Maxton, '76 Robbinsville, '86 and '87 Murphy, '99 Williamston, '01 and '02 Albemarle, '05 and '06 Thomasville, '10 WRH, '17 Tarboro, etc.

Last edited:
The Thomasville teams that won 48 games in a row and the Albemarle teams that won 50 games in a row have to absolutely be considered the best ever,thomasville was beating 4A schools 3A schools and 2 A schools back in those years,now if Tarboro can win close to that many games in a row that would be a great feat...ironically when Albemarle stated their 50 game win streak thomasville was the last team to beat them to start the streak and thomasville was the team that beat them to end their streak...and vise verca when thomasville won their 48 games in a row Albemarle was the team who ended it and the last team to beat them to start the streak... Thomasville/Albemarle was the state championship game every year they played each other in the playoffs in 1A...6 straight years Thomasville or Albemarle won the championship

There is no right or wrong answer, different teams and different eras. '75 Maxton, '76 Robbinsville, '86 and '87 Murphy, '99 Williamston, '01 and '02 Albemarle, '05 and '06 Thomasville, '10 and '15 WRH, '17 Tarboro, etc.

We’re talking “Dynasty” ...48-50 in a row...

02' and 03' Albemarle were great teams but each one had three games decided by a TD or less, so hard to call them unbeatable. '01 Albemarle lost a game but was more dominant overall and had TA while the other two did not.

And what team decided that TD or less win. T-Ville has to of been 2 of those three...

The Thomasville teams that won 48 games in a row and the Albemarle teams that won 50 games in a row have to absolutely be considered the best ever,thomasville was beating 4A schools 3A schools and 2 A schools back in those years,now if Tarboro can win close to that many games in a row that would be a great feat...ironically when Albemarle stated their 50 game win streak thomasville was the last team to beat them to start the streak and thomasville was the team that beat them to end their streak...and vise verca when thomasville won their 48 games in a row Albemarle was the team who ended it and the last team to beat them to start the streak... Thomasville/Albemarle was the state championship game every year they played each other in the playoffs in 1A...6 straight years Thomasville or Albemarle won the championship

Thomasville played a tougher schedule than Albemarle. Note, Thomasville played one 4A school, Davie, beating them 14-13 the year the Thomasville streak ended. Davie had a solid team but made a first round playoff exit. The year the Thomasville streak started they lost by five TDs to Reidsville which lost three games including the regional final.

There is no right or wrong answer, different teams and different eras. '75 Maxton, '76 Robbinsville, '86 and '87 Murphy, '99 Williamston, '01 and '02 Albemarle, '05 and '06 Thomasville, '10 and '15 WRH, '17 Tarboro, etc.

I give much more validity to state 1A title won between 1982 and 2000. Prior to 1982 the 1A playoffs were three rounds with about 35 total football playing schools in 1A. 2001 on was subdividing. I thought Albemarle had three state titles from 2001-2003 without subdividing but there is always more of a chance a team gets knocked off with no subdividing as Swain or Elkin may be the matchup that is the difference maker.

Like I said Albemarle was the last team to beat thomasville,the reidsville game was the 3rd game of the year,don't try and diminish what they done
Thomasville played a tougher schedule than Albemarle. Note, Thomasville played one 4A school, Davie, beating them 14-13 the year the Thomasville streak ended. Davie had a solid team but made a first round playoff exit. The year the Thomasville streak started they lost by five TDs to Reidsville which lost three games including the regional final.

And what team decided that TD or less win. T-Ville has to of been 2 of those three...
In '02 it was a 7 point win against Thomasville, a 3 point win against Maiden and a 5 point win against Williamston. In '03 it was 2 point win against Thomasville, a 3 point win against Thomasville and a 5 point win against Hendersonville.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT