ADVERTISEMENT

Best ever?

I'll leave this here... Hasn't been updated since 2004 but it is interesting to see football teams on every level represented going back for 90 years.

http://www.thomasvillebulldogsfootball.com/notable_ninety_football

I looked through this list years ago and scratched my head having seen all the teams from 1987 on play and a few prior to. This was a list done by the NCHSAA for the 90the anniversary of the Association and it was stated it was not the 90 "greatest" teams but a variety of teams often with unique or interesting teams.

When thinking about all time great teams I made a few notes the first time I reviewed this but I looked at it as "best" teams of their era and not as the list was intended.

Albemarle 1957 not on the list is questionable on any rundown including the 1950's.

My guess is Thomasville's offensive numbers were a reasoning for the 1964 teams inclusion even though their lone loss was a shutout. Personally I would have listed the 1995 undefeated 2A champion which was the first team in NC to win 16 games in a season. With that I think Albemarle's 2001 teams should be listed as they set the national record for points and TDs scored in a season and McLendon set several national records, both for a career and season.

I do not think 1980 Robbinsville would have had any success against Greensboro Page, the 4A state champ but this is not a greatest teams list. I understand why they wanted to reward Robbinsville and this team was the most sensible to select.

Shelby won the 3A state title in 1987 but lost to 4A Crest which was a 6-5 team. Five of those six wins were by seven or less points including Shelby win.

1993 Northern Durham is one of the best to suit it up in this state. Junior heavy team lost to East Forsyth in 1992 title game on a late TD heave. Give Ken Browning his due for the program he built at Northern.

The weakest Richmond squad of the 1988-90 teams was the 1990 team which is listed. The best Indy team would have been 2004. Thought 2001 was better than 2002 and 2003 which were about equal. 2002 is listed. Why Richmond 1990? May be the third title and the final drive and TD pass that was the only catch of the season for the receiver. 2002 Indy, Chris Leak set national records that season.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I give much more validity to state 1A title won between 1982 and 2000. Prior to 1982 the 1A playoffs were three rounds with about 35 total football playing schools in 1A.
I agree with you but there were a couple pre '82 exceptions imo. The '76 Robbinsville team is in my mentions because they went undefeated without a single close game, including beating that year's 2A state champion by 4 TDs. The '75 Maxton team was similarly dominant but without proof that they could have won 2A.

Reactions: rville20 and SitOut
I agree with you but there were a couple pre '82 exceptions imo. The '76 Robbinsville team is in my mentions because they went undefeated without a single close game, including beating that year's 2A state champion by 4 TDs. The '75 Maxton team was similarly dominant but without proof that they could have won 2A.
Heard a lot about that 76 robbinsville team. Been told it was the best out of all their state championship teams.

Reactions: rville20
There is no right or wrong answer, different teams and different eras. '75 Maxton, '76 Robbinsville, '86 and '87 Murphy, '99 Williamston, '01 and '02 Albemarle, '05 and '06 Thomasville, '10 and '15 WRH, '17 Tarboro, etc.
Some real good teams here. What’s your thoughts on Swain and their best team?

Some real good teams here. What’s your thoughts on Swain and their best team?
The '88 thru '90 Swain teams were stout but get knocked down some because of the 3 losses to Pisgah and 2 to Smoky Mountain. Swain's best team in terms of results is their '79 team but that was when they were in 2A.

I looked through this list years ago and scratched my head having seen all the teams from 1987 on play and a few prior to. This was a list done by the NCHSAA for the 90the anniversary of the Association and it was stated it was not the 90 "greatest" teams but a variety of teams often with unique or interesting teams.

When thinking about all time great teams I made a few notes the first time I reviewed this but I looked at it as "best" teams of their era and not as the list was intended.

Albemarle 1957 not on the list is questionable on any rundown including the 1950's.

My guess is Thomasville's offensive numbers were a reasoning for the 1964 teams inclusion even though their lone loss was a shutout. Personally I would have listed the 1995 undefeated 2A champion which was the first team in NC to win 16 games in a season. With that I think Albemarle's 2001 teams should be listed as they set the national record for points and TDs scored in a season and McLendon set several national records, both for a career and season.

I do not think 1980 Robbinsville would have had any success against Greensboro Page, the 4A state champ but this is not a greatest teams list. I understand why they wanted to reward Robbinsville and this team was the most sensible to select.

Shelby won the 3A state title in 1987 but lost to 4A Crest which was a 6-5 team. Five of those six wins were by seven or less points including Shelby win.

1993 Northern Durham is one of the best to suit it up in this state. Junior heavy team lost to East Forsyth in 1992 title game on a late TD heave. Give Ken Browning his due for the program he built at Northern.

The weakest Richmond squad of the 1988-90 teams was the 1990 team which is listed. The best Indy team would have been 2004. Thought 2001 was better than 2002 and 2003 which were about equal. 2002 is listed. Why Richmond 1990? May be the third title and the final drive and TD pass that was the only catch of the season for the receiver. 2002 Indy, Chris Leak set national records that season.
That 1964 Thomasville team was a juggernaut. That lone loss to Asheboro was an anomaly. The Blue Comets were in the Bulldogs heads and we lost 13 straight to them.
They had a couple of running backs that played at App and Charlie Bowers played fullback at State. I remember watching State play South Carolina and two Bulldogs scored all twenty points for the Pack. Three touchdowns by Bowers and a safety by Ron Carpenter, later of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Cheerduck can weigh in on the strength of that team. He gave me a copy of the film against Hickory. I was there live because my brother was a senior defensive back on the team. But seeing it on film reminded me how strong they were.
They were strong at every position and were certainly the most balanced team Thomasville has ever had. Better than’95? Matter of opinion. Both were pretty impressive.
The 1995 team played strong non-conference schedule with North Davidson, Reidsville and SW Guilford, but the conference schedule was terribly weak. The old South Piedmont Conference was stacked and by far the toughest top to bottom we’ve ever played in. And only the conference winner moved on in ‘64. Everybody else moved to the mat or the hardwood.

OC, I did not realize that Lexington (and Salisbury) were not in the WNCHSAA in 1964. Looks like they returned in 1967 and won the Association championship.

Like I said Albemarle was the last team to beat thomasville,the reidsville game was the 3rd game of the year,don't try and diminish what they done

A 35 point loss is noteworthy no matter when it happens. As I wrote, Thomasville played a tougher schedule than Albemarle through those years when the two dominated 1A football but they were not playing 4A powerhouses and there was/is no reason for that.

1995 Tville... 16 games, first 16-0 team in NC history. 15 games of 7 points or less allowed. 8 shutouts, including the regionals and state title games. Southern Alamance got the most in a 41-13 loss.

Definitely best defense in Tville history. 64 Tville owns best offense. Let's get a time machine together Dawgs...

Reactions: ocdavis31
OC, I did not realize that Lexington (and Salisbury) were not in the WNCHSAA in 1964. Looks like they returned in 1967 and won the Association championship.
Not sure exactly how that worked. Thomasville played Lexington (but not Salisbury) in ‘63 and ‘64, but not ‘62 or ‘65. My first year was 1968 and Salisbury and Lexington were in the SPC by that time. Lots of juggling in the early sixties.

No doubt Tarboro could dominate 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A. Best team in the state & best coaching staff.
BOOOOOYYY... lemme get your supplier because whatever meth you seem to be on sounds like its really kickin, I'd love to see tarboro play Mallard creek, Hough, or wake forest....they would get smacked, if their so good why don't they schedule some actual competition for their non-conference games? I mean they played one 3A team with a 3-5 record, what are you gonna say next "we want Bama"?

No doubt Tarboro could dominate 1A, 2A, 3A and 4A. Best team in the state & best coaching staff.

I think they would be in the mix to win 2A and may be 3A. 4A would be tough when they got down to the regional semifinal (third round).

How do you see the matchups playing out with Mallard Creek, Wake Forest, and a few other of the best 4A teams. I have not seen Tarboro this season but plan to watch some film in the coming weeks. What would be the best game to watch? With the competition level it is hard to compare them against those larger schools that play equal competition.

If Albemarle had a team on the 90th NCHSAA Anniversary I would think this would get the nod over the 2001 national record setting squad due to their one loss. Same as I thought Thomasville's 16 win would trump their 1964 team.

1957 Albemarle results.

Albemarle 52, Winecoff 0
Albemarle 24, AL Brown 0
Albemarle 31, Lexington 7
Albemarle 45, Landis 0
Albemarle 56, Mooresville 7
Albemarle 48, Monroe 0
Albemarle 60, Thomasville 0
Albemarle 54, Harding 7
Albemarle 7, Concord 0
Albemarle 27, China Grove 7
WNCHSAA Playoffs
Albemarle 7, Lexington 0
Albemarle 54, Marion 6
Total Points 465 (38.75) 34 (2.83)

I seee Tarboro as a very good team. With scoring that high throughout the whole season I also feel that mediocre coaching around the area would be to blame. See, if someone is that strong and putting up those numbers, you have got to control the clock and have good game management to even have a chance. With coaches not doing that, it make me wonder about the entire coaching community down there. ...fruit for thought
Lol okay.

BOOOOOYYY... lemme get your supplier because whatever meth you seem to be on sounds like its really kickin, I'd love to see tarboro play Mallard creek, Hough, or wake forest....they would get smacked, if their so good why don't they schedule some actual competition for their non-conference games? I mean they played one 3A team with a 3-5 record, what are you gonna say next "we want Bama"?
You a southwest fan?

If Albemarle had a team on the 90th NCHSAA Anniversary I would think this would get the nod over the 2001 national record setting squad due to their one loss. Same as I thought Thomasville's 16 win would trump their 1964 team.

1957 Albemarle results.

Albemarle 52, Winecoff 0
Albemarle 24, AL Brown 0
Albemarle 31, Lexington 7
Albemarle 45, Landis 0
Albemarle 56, Mooresville 7
Albemarle 48, Monroe 0
Albemarle 60, Thomasville 0
Albemarle 54, Harding 7
Albemarle 7, Concord 0
Albemarle 27, China Grove 7
WNCHSAA Playoffs
Albemarle 7, Lexington 0
Albemarle 54, Marion 6
Total Points 465 (38.75) 34 (2.83)
Hard to choose when talking about relative to era, which is what I like to judge by. How badly did you dominate your own competition? We can't use time machines...

I agree with you that record is the ultimate settler. And then point differential, though some had better defenses than offenses and that can muddle it a bit...

I'll leave this here... Hasn't been updated since 2004 but it is interesting to see football teams on every level represented going back for 90 years.

http://www.thomasvillebulldogsfootball.com/notable_ninety_football

I remember this list. 23 of the 90 teams featured were football teams since the list was all HS sports of all classifications, Swain 79 team is there.
SWAIN COUNTY | Bryson City | 1979
"Record: 14-0 | Coach: Boyce Deitz NCHSAA 2-A champion
The school's first state title…the team defeated four undefeated teams and the 1-A state champion. The team averaged 26 points a game while giving up on 7.9 points, including four shut outs. The team had no huge stand out athletes but was a team above all else truly committed to each other and a common goal after being picked to finish third in a four-team conference preseason."

There were 16 teams total in the bracket. Swain was the smallest school of the ones represented. With a 10-0 record we were 16th seed and played the first round at undefeated defending state champions Maiden. Going into the last regular season game at 9-0 we still didn't know if we would make the playoffs. Things were a little different then.
Oh well, enough reminiscing, getting light headed, guess i'll drink me some Ensure and lay down now..lol :)

I was in Garner in 1998 when they played the Richmond team on that list. It's worth noting that the Trojans were 15-0 going into the state finals themselves, and had played a very strong schedule. Could have won the 4A in a lot of years themselves, but not that one. Garner led 6-0 at the end of the first quarter and then the roof caved in. Richmond scored three times in the second.

If I had to guess, based on what I saw of Tarboro last year, they would be able to compete with just about anyone for a half. The problem would be the same as it is for all great 1A teams playing strong teams from bigger schools, in any sport. Eventually they'd have to go to their bench, and no 1A team is going to have the depth of a strong 3A or 4A team.

I've seen some other 1A championship-winning teams--North Edgecombe in 1994 and 1997, Murphy in 1996, Starmount in '98, Plymouth in 2012, James Kenan in 2013, Wallace in 2015. Last year's Tarboro team was better than all of them, although NE '97, JK '13 and WRH in '15 wouldn't have been embarrassed.

You a southwest fan?

I'm actually siding with BloccBoi on this one. There is no doubt that Tarboro is strong. It's impossible to say they would dominate and the reality is Tarboro never reached a 1A state championship game until Wallace-Rose Hill moved up. I'm Tarboro '87 and love my Vikings. Tarboro is 3A football trapped in a 1A classification. The rest of their athletic program is ordinary 1A level stuff, but there is tradition, infrastructure and talent that keeps Tarboro football head and shoulders above their 1A competition. But don't believe the hype that Tarboro could line up and dominate Wake Forest or Mallard or Havelock or Hibriten. Those teams in the upper classifications usually have to play 4 full quarters of football most Friday nights. Just because you are a big fish in a small pond doesn't mean you can play like that in the ocean. But I'll say this...If Tarboro played one of those big boys, I'd be there and I'd expect a W.

I was in Garner in 1998 when they played the Richmond team on that list. It's worth noting that the Trojans were 15-0 going into the state finals themselves, and had played a very strong schedule. Could have won the 4A in a lot of years themselves, but not that one. Garner led 6-0 at the end of the first quarter and then the roof caved in. Richmond scored three times in the second.

If I had to guess, based on what I saw of Tarboro last year, they would be able to compete with just about anyone for a half. The problem would be the same as it is for all great 1A teams playing strong teams from bigger schools, in any sport. Eventually they'd have to go to their bench, and no 1A team is going to have the depth of a strong 3A or 4A team.

I've seen some other 1A championship-winning teams--North Edgecombe in 1994 and 1997, Murphy in 1996, Starmount in '98, Plymouth in 2012, James Kenan in 2013, Wallace in 2015. Last year's Tarboro team was better than all of them, although NE '97, JK '13 and WRH in '15 wouldn't have been embarrassed.
I really don't think depth is a problem for this team, John. It's more about staying mentally engaged for 48 minutes...and more if necessary. (6 OTs against Hertford Co?) This team has spent more than half their season under a mercy rule running clock. Do they have what it takes to be dragged into the 4th quarter with the game still very much in doubt? I'm sure that's how Coach Holder laid it out to his players last year and I am sure Coach Adkins will take the same approach. Mt. Airy was mentally tougher than Tarboro last year. They didn't give up big plays and they played smart on both sides of the ball. Ian Holder may have been the best player Tarboro faced all season, but man-for-man Tarboro was too talented. 3A and 4A schools just have more talent available.

I'm actually siding with BloccBoi on this one. There is no doubt that Tarboro is strong. It's impossible to say they would dominate and the reality is Tarboro never reached a 1A state championship game until Wallace-Rose Hill moved up. I'm Tarboro '87 and love my Vikings. Tarboro is 3A football trapped in a 1A classification. The rest of their athletic program is ordinary 1A level stuff, but there is tradition, infrastructure and talent that keeps Tarboro football head and shoulders above their 1A competition. But don't believe the hype that Tarboro could line up and dominate Wake Forest or Mallard or Havelock or Hibriten. Those teams in the upper classifications usually have to play 4 full quarters of football most Friday nights. Just because you are a big fish in a small pond doesn't mean you can play like that in the ocean. But I'll say this...If Tarboro played one of those big boys, I'd be there and I'd expect a W.
Hibriten plays in arguably the worst conference in all of 2A. I don't believe their starters have played a full game this season.

Hibriten plays in arguably the worst conference in all of 2A. I don't believe their starters have played a full game this season.
I'm sure it was like watching World Championship Wrestling on Saturday nights. How many times did the Road Warriors get paired with the Mulkeys?

Sorry but that's not happening. As good as they are there's no way they're going to beat Havelock or Charlotte Catholic.

Thank you someone with some realistic sense..not even just Those two teams they would have a tough time with any of the top teams two teams in any of the 3A conferences. They are good but let’s not get crazy.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with Tarboro playing in 1A, is that even though their numbers have declined as far as the student body goes, this has not impacted their athletics at all. If Raleigh doesn't put a #nocap on it, they could win the state title for the next 10 years lol...nobody in the West can compete :(

Reactions: BK13T-$
The only issue I have with Tarboro playing in 1A, is that even though their numbers have declined as far as the student body goes, this has not impacted their athletics at all. If Raleigh doesn't put a #nocap on it, they could win the state title for the next 10 years lol...nobody in the West can compete :(

Thats my issue with murphy . A bunch of kids start going to the EC and murphy drops to small A. The EC doesnt impact their athletes at all, either.

So your issue with Tarboro is that despite dropping to 1A they still have the athletes to be good? Maybe, just maybe they are dominate because they have the athletes and that good of a program.

Thats my issue with murphy . A bunch of kids start going to the EC and murphy drops to small A. The EC doesnt impact their athletes at all, either.

Well if that happens than so be it, but so far your 1-1 in 1AA. When it is your time it is your time. Ride it out when your time is up we don’t want to hear could have should haves ask New Bern how hard that fall is.

Nope....just someone that has common sense[/
Nobody has said Tarboro would dominate
Thats not true at all. Football hasn’t dropped off but the other sports are average at best.

Thats not true at all. Football hasn’t dropped off but the other sports are average at best.
Exactly. Volleyball, basketball, baseball, tennis, track & field...No dynasty here. It's just football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT