ADVERTISEMENT

Best ever?

Don't know if they were 1A or 2A but I watched Sylva Webster beat the wheels off of a pretty good South Stanly team in 1973 at South. They were scary good.

Don't know if they were 1A or 2A but I watched Sylva Webster beat the wheels off of a pretty good South Stanly team in 1973 at South. They were scary good.

2A state semifinal / regional final. 78-7.
Sylva best Tabor City for the title the next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
We won 1a ste state title in 73. We had 2 loses. I think 1 was to Sylvia.

No we won’t. Just adds to our claim that we own Robbinsville that’s all lol

I really don't think depth is a problem for this team, John. It's more about staying mentally engaged for 48 minutes...and more if necessary. (6 OTs against Hertford Co?) This team has spent more than half their season under a mercy rule running clock. Do they have what it takes to be dragged into the 4th quarter with the game still very much in doubt? I'm sure that's how Coach Holder laid it out to his players last year and I am sure Coach Adkins will take the same approach. Mt. Airy was mentally tougher than Tarboro last year. They didn't give up big plays and they played smart on both sides of the ball. Ian Holder may have been the best player Tarboro faced all season, but man-for-man Tarboro was too talented. 3A and 4A schools just have more talent available.
The six OT's with Hertford was all the way back in 1993, and I actually tweeted at great length with several Tarboro fans about that game on Twitter on Monday night--October 29 was the 25th anniversary of the six-OT game, and I actually covered that game for the Rocky Mount Telegram. I presume you must follow me on Twitter to have mentioned this.

Tarboro in 1993 was a 3A school, knocking heads with Hertford, all three of the Wilson schools, Southern Nash, and SouthWest. They made it all the way to the regional finals and then lost to the guy who used to coach them by a touchdown.

Playing games under the mercy rule is very common for the best 1A teams. It's not unusual for MA to go a month or more and never play a competitive game. The conference is basically blowout after blowout and then go play East Surry for the conference title. When I was at Princeton a few years back, same thing. They'd try to beat James Kenan and the rest of the conference was an exercise in how many touchdowns they'd let Johnny Frasier score.

You were more impressed with Ian Holder than Donavon Greene last year? Interesting. I've never heard anyone express that view before. Ian is already making an impact for his college team, though.

What is Johnny Frasier doing now? Any plans to return to college football?

You were more impressed with Ian Holder than Donavon Greene last year? Interesting. I've never heard anyone express that view before. Ian is already making an impact for his college team, though.
He was a better than average QB, but his play on defense was stellar against Tarboro. I found myself wanting the Vikings to run away from him because he was plugging every run to his side of the field. He plays very smart ball, which is kind of expected from a coaches son.

murphy should beat R'ville they are a 2A size school, but murphy never won a game against a team I played on. LOL

You can always have yourself a t-shirt made that says " The Robbinsville team i played on never lost to Murphy"

You can always have yourself a t-shirt made that says " The Robbinsville team i played on never lost to Murphy"
Why would I do that, I'm not like the murphy fans that claim they are real 1A state champs one of the years R'ville won it. I can't remember which year it was.

Just because ONE player makes it to the NFL every 10 or so years does not mean your WHOLE TEAM can compete with a 4A/4AA school that may have 5 or 6 with NFL potential every year.
Geez, Tarboro has about 4 people on NFL rosters or practice squad right now.

Geez, Tarboro has about 4 people on NFL rosters or practice squad right now.

I know Gurley and Lewis are in the NFL. Remember Bryant, Frank, and Draughn having nice professional runs. What other Tarboro alums are currently in the league?

Why would I do that, I'm not like the murphy fans that claim they are real 1A state champs one of the years R'ville won it. I can't remember which year it was.
I remember that story well, even though I was in the East at the time and didn't start writing about high school football until 1993.

It was 1992. Murphy went 10-0 that year, but was not allowed in the playoffs because they were a 2A school that was "playing down" to 1A, which was allowed back then. The rule was that you couldn't go to the playoffs in consecutive seasons if you played down. Murphy won the title in '91 and had to sit out '92. Robbinsville, the SMC runners-up, ended up winning the championship.

If you ask me, the team with a beef was Rosewood, which made it to the 1A finals in '91 and then lost to a 2A team for the state championship (and whoever lost to Murphy in the West playoffs, too). It wasn't the only time a team "played down" and won a state title they shouldn't have been allowed to play for. It happened with West Carteret in women's basketball in '93-94, a 4A team winning a 3A title, and a couple of pretty influential 3A coaches lost to them along the way. The rule was changed in the next realignment.

In fairness to Murphy, they were barely over the 1A limit and chose the "play down" option because of problems with travel. The same problem happened on the other side of the state with Manteo High a few years later, they were barely 3A and the nearest 3A conference was around Rocky Mount and Wilson. They solved it by putting Manteo in an otherwise 1A/2A split conference and just saying they had to win a certain number of games each season to make the 3A playoffs.

As good as that '92 Murphy team was, I'm sure they'd have taken their chances if allowed to be in the 2A playoffs.

I know Gurley and Lewis are in the NFL. Remember Bryant, Frank, and Draughn having nice professional runs. What other Tarboro alums are currently in the league?
I mat have misspoken when I said 4 are currently employed by the NFL, but I was just refuting the poster's assertion that ONE player makes it every 10 years, when you just named 3 in Gurley, Lewis, and Draughn.

Last edited:
I always thought Murphy should have been seeded in the 2A playoffs as the lowest first place seed if they won their conference or lowest second seed if they were runner up.

It would have been an athletic budget crusher for Murphy to have played 2A.

I remember that story well, even though I was in the East at the time and didn't start writing about high school football until 1993.

It was 1992. Murphy went 10-0 that year, but was not allowed in the playoffs because they were a 2A school that was "playing down" to 1A, which was allowed back then. The rule was that you couldn't go to the playoffs in consecutive seasons if you played down. Murphy won the title in '91 and had to sit out '92. Robbinsville, the SMC runners-up, ended up winning the championship.

If you ask me, the team with a beef was Rosewood, which made it to the 1A finals in '91 and then lost to a 2A team for the state championship (and whoever lost to Murphy in the West playoffs, too). It wasn't the only time a team "played down" and won a state title they shouldn't have been allowed to play for. It happened with West Carteret in women's basketball in '93-94, a 4A team winning a 3A title, and a couple of pretty influential 3A coaches lost to them along the way. The rule was changed in the next realignment.

In fairness to Murphy, they were barely over the 1A limit and chose the "play down" option because of problems with travel. The same problem happened on the other side of the state with Manteo High a few years later, they were barely 3A and the nearest 3A conference was around Rocky Mount and Wilson. They solved it by putting Manteo in an otherwise 1A/2A split conference and just saying they had to win a certain number of games each season to make the 3A playoffs.

As good as that '92 Murphy team was, I'm sure they'd have taken their chances if allowed to be in the 2A playoffs.

Since the discussion is about unfair treatment of teams, I would like to add that Robbinsville beat Rosman for the 1A Western Final in 1992, and Rosman had exactly 1 day to prepare for that game because their 3rd round playoff game with Bladenboro didn't take place until Monday of the same week....I know because I stayed the weekend in Lumberton, and went and watched 4A Southview with Coach Bobby Poss beat Greenville Rose in the Eastern 4A 3rd round on that friday in Fayetteville....We went down to Bladenboro on that Saturday morning to see why the playoff game wasn't being played, and the field was perfectly dry and playable, but the game was still postponed until that monday which meant Rosman had Wednesday to practice in full pads for their trip to Robbinsville and the Notre Dame box offense that following friday night....A game the Tigers lost 35-3 with a long TD pass called back for a penalty just before the half which would have made for a closer game.....Tigers had no legs for the 2nd half, and McCracken behind that big line just ground the tired Tigers into the dirt in the 2nd half.....

Always thought that the game should have at least been moved to a Saturday night since the NCHSAA let Bladenboro postponed the game for two days with the Tigers playing all the way over on the other side of the state, but Robbinsville didn't want the game moved to Saturday, so the Tigers had to play on that friday which was total BS in my book....

Lots of unfair things were allowed by the NCHSAA back in that 92' season, and a lot of us have never forgotten it!

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
The Albemarle/Thomasville teams were the best. The Albemarle team with TA McClendon was the best I've ever seen in 1A. They absolutely destroyed everyone in their paths and the 1A back then was loaded.

Reactions: sway1532
Careful Rick. A couple of posters from Graham County may start a crusade against the Tigers and their numbers since you said that lol. Hope you guys don’t have an early college or an alternative school there!

Our numbers have never been an issue and probably never will be, but some of the shenanigans that's been allowed from time to time by the NCHSAA, should always be pointed out, and folks should be reminded what happened, and I'm happy to do that especially when it comes to the Tigers.....A similar thing happened to the Tigers in 87 when they played at Murphy as the game was postponed until that monday....I was selling advertising at the time over in Tennessee, and was living in Charlotte at the time....I came by Murphy on that friday expecting to see a playoff game, and was told the game had been postponed until monday....I called a friend while I was standing on the dry Murphy football field to tell him that the playing surface was dry as it could be, and could not understand why the game was postponed for a couple days....Friends who played on that Rosman team said that the Murphy RB Cox had gotten banged-up in the game with Swain the week before, so that was the real reason the game between the Bulldogs and Tigers was postponed.....As most know, it would not have mattered that season as Murphy was just too strong, but that 87' Tiger team won 9 games in a row prior to that humbling loss to Murphy in the playoffs, and that 9-game winning streak by the Tigers is still the longest in school history....Most Tiger fans remember Carl Pickens backpedaling with the ball stuck out toward the Tigers who were chasing him as he scored a TD....lol!

I laugh about it today, but it sure as hell wasn't too funny back then!

The 87 team with Pickens best ever to come through western nc and would have won the state title that year in any classification.
I think they wouldve won 2A and couldve potentially won 3A that year. Definitely not your typical 1A team, size and speed all over the field and about as deep as you're going to get for a 1A team. A UT signee (and future NFL All Pro), a NC State signee, two App State signees and WCU signee, and a couple other college signees so top end talent was there. Them and Shelby that year in 3A would've been one to see. Yeah they lost to a sophomore Heath Shuler and undefeated Swain team on the road to end the regular season but proved it was a fluke by massacaring the same Swain team in the playoffs. The '86 team ran the table but the '87 team was better.

Last edited:
The 87 team with Pickens best ever to come through western nc and would have won the state title that year in any classification.

Garner with record setting Anthony Barbour along with a few other future ACC players would have been a very hard out for Murphy.

No to the any classification. Let's not get ridiculous. They were a heck of a football team though.

'87 was probably one of the strongest quartet of title winning teams there's been. Pickens and Murphy in 1A, McGlockton and Whiteville in 2A, a very stout Shelby team in 3A and Barbour and Garner in 4A.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Since the discussion is about unfair treatment of teams, I would like to add that Robbinsville beat Rosman for the 1A Western Final in 1992, and Rosman had exactly 1 day to prepare for that game because their 3rd round playoff game with Bladenboro didn't take place until Monday of the same week....I know because I stayed the weekend in Lumberton, and went and watched 4A Southview with Coach Bobby Poss beat Greenville Rose in the Eastern 4A 3rd round on that friday in Fayetteville....We went down to Bladenboro on that Saturday morning to see why the playoff game wasn't being played, and the field was perfectly dry and playable, but the game was still postponed until that monday which meant Rosman had Wednesday to practice in full pads for their trip to Robbinsville and the Notre Dame box offense that following friday night....A game the Tigers lost 35-3 with a long TD pass called back for a penalty just before the half which would have made for a closer game.....Tigers had no legs for the 2nd half, and McCracken behind that big line just ground the tired Tigers into the dirt in the 2nd half.....

Always thought that the game should have at least been moved to a Saturday night since the NCHSAA let Bladenboro postponed the game for two days with the Tigers playing all the way over on the other side of the state, but Robbinsville didn't want the game moved to Saturday, so the Tigers had to play on that friday which was total BS in my book....

Lots of unfair things were allowed by the NCHSAA back in that 92' season, and a lot of us have never forgotten it!
Rosman returned the favor in 2015 when Gentry forced Robbinsville to play on a Monday night. Robbinsville had to play a excellent Rosman team with Guage Orr 4 days later. Robbinsvilles request to play on a Saturday was shot down to say the least from Rosman. Robbinsville won both games that week.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
The Albemarle/Thomasville teams were the best. The Albemarle team with TA McClendon was the best I've ever seen in 1A. They absolutely destroyed everyone in their paths and the 1A back then was loaded.

Concern with that Albemarle team is the defense was a bit susceptible. Part of that was due to how fast the offense scored putting the D back on the field. The O was special. Albemarle had one of the greatest and another very solid future college starter in the backfield and a QB that did not make mistakes and came up with the play when needed. Punting and kicking game was some of the best seen in the state up until that time. Couple of real big O linemen that got a good push and opened some holes. Once McLendon was past the line he was a load to bring down.

Albemarle struggled in the regular season ending loss to Thomasville with McLendon banged up which was partly due to T-ville cracking him. Trevan Davis ran for over 370 yards against Albemarle and drug the D down the field on the end of game go ahead drive. Maiden game was iffy until TA got his head on right plus was inserted on D and the second Thomasville game was made by a hook and lateral to TA (what a play). Thomasville lost by three TDs to Reidsville and Cummings (state runnerup) that season.

People from Albemarle would tell me that Albemarle and Indy would be a close game. My guess is 2001 Indy 77 to about 14. Terrible matchup.

Rosman returned the favor in 2015 when Gentry forced Robbinsville to play on a Monday night. Robbinsville had to play a excellent Rosman team with Guage Orr 4 days later. Robbinsvilles request to play on a Saturday was shot down to say the least from Rosman. Robbinsville won both games that week.

That was of course during the Regular Season and not the 4th round of the playoffs, and Rosman had just lost starting RB/DE/LBer/Punter/Kicker Tanner Green to a season-ending injury the week before in Cherokee, so the Coaching Staff was probably not in an agreeable frame of mind that week.....

And don't get me started on the "Whistle" game in 1977 or the "Bllown 2pt Conversion" 4OT game in 1983 which were two poor decisions by the Officials which also happened in the State Semifinals in Rosman no less....Otherwise, Rosman would have likely won at least 2 state football titles if not for those blunders by the Officials at the end of those two games....

Between 1977-1983, Rosman was argubly Robbinsville's toughest 1A playoff opponent....The 82' team lost 6-0 at Big Oaks Stadium as QB Eddie Fox was lost right before halftime when Coach Fox called for a pass that went awry in more ways than one....Had lots of friends on that 77' team coached by Mark Manuel, and they still believe that they were cheated out of a chance to play for the state title when someone in the stands on Robbinsville's side, blew a whistle, and QB Billy Powell thought the play was dead, so he laid the ball on the field at Robbinsville's 20yd line with 2 minutes left in the game, and it was picked-up, and returned for a game-winning TD by Robbinsville's Shane Laughter....Oh the pain...lol!

I of course, never got the opportunity to play against Robbinsville in the playoffs because our 76' team lost at defending state champion Maxton(33-7) in the playoffs after leading 7-0 at the half....They decided to throw the ball the entire 2nd half, and it turned out to be the right coaching move as our defense had basically shut down their vaulted rushing attack, and knocked their starting QB out of the game, so maybe we did have something to do with Robbinsville manhandling Maxton the following week as our game with them was a very physical football game the week before with both teams losing starters during the game...

Don't need anymore blood pressure problems, so I seldom think about those games anymore...lol!

Well I don't who is best ever but even though it looks like thier down some this year I bet last year everyone in 1AA was happy to see Wallace-Rose Hill move up to 2A. 1AA champions 2014, 15 , 16 & 2A champs last year.

That 1964 Thomasville team was a juggernaut. That lone loss to Asheboro was an anomaly. The Blue Comets were in the Bulldogs heads and we lost 13 straight to them.
They had a couple of running backs that played at App and Charlie Bowers played fullback at State. I remember watching State play South Carolina and two Bulldogs scored all twenty points for the Pack. Three touchdowns by Bowers and a safety by Ron Carpenter, later of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Cheerduck can weigh in on the strength of that team. He gave me a copy of the film against Hickory. I was there live because my brother was a senior defensive back on the team. But seeing it on film reminded me how strong they were.
They were strong at every position and were certainly the most balanced team Thomasville has ever had. Better than’95? Matter of opinion. Both were pretty impressive.
The 1995 team played strong non-conference schedule with North Davidson, Reidsville and SW Guilford, but the conference schedule was terribly weak. The old South Piedmont Conference was stacked and by far the toughest top to bottom we’ve ever played in. And only the conference winner moved on in ‘64. Everybody else moved to the mat or the hardwood.

The 1964 Bulldog team could play and win in almost any era of N.C. football from their Championship era coming forward. They were solid in every facet of the game.

Reactions: ocdavis31
What about the 2003 Elkin team? I remember going to Wallace Wade and watching them play North Edgecombe in the state title game when I was a kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT