ADVERTISEMENT

Best ever?

What about the 2003 Elkin team? I remember going to Wallace Wade and watching them play North Edgecombe in the state title game when I was a kid.

I made sure to get there to see both games. Thought Albemarle looked bigger, stronger, and faster. I am not sure they were much better than a top five in 1A that season. Seasons like this that make me hate subdividing even more.

I am not sure they were much better than a top five in 1A that season.
The most talented team in small 1A that year got upset in the the 2nd round of the playoffs by a team they beat 50-0 during the regular season.

I saw both Hayesville and Hendersonville that year (Hayesville regular season and Hendersonville 3rd round) and thought Hayesville was the better team by a score.

Hendersonville as we know played Albemarle to a five point game in the western regionals. I'm not saying Hayesville was as good as Albemarle but I think talent wise Hayesville were definitely a top 3 team in 1A/1AA that year. The '03 Hayesville team is of course probably their best ever team.

Last edited:
What about the 2003 Elkin team? I remember going to Wallace Wade and watching them play North Edgecombe in the state title game when I was a kid.
I was at that game also. North Edgecombe fielded the biggest HS football team I have ever seen, those kids were huge!

An Albemarle coach told me after Hendersonville game that they felt they were in control but the Thomasville games were more touch n go. I did not see those two playoff games.

Swain was as looking forward to a rematch with Hayesville but Rosman got in the way.

Reactions: mbdfan
Well I don't who is best ever but even though it looks like thier down some this year I bet last year everyone in 1AA was happy to see Wallace-Rose Hill move up to 2A. 1AA champions 2014, 15 , 16 & 2A champs last year.
I can't speak for all Tarboro fans, but I wanted to beat those guys once. Sign them up for regular season games! Winning is nice, but everyone needs to be challenged. I am happy Rocky Mount got put on the schedule for next year. Those are the kind of games that pack the stands and get the juices flowing.

I can't speak for all Tarboro fans, but I wanted to beat those guys once. Sign them up for regular season games! Winning is nice, but everyone needs to be challenged. I am happy Rocky Mount got put on the schedule for next year. Those are the kind of games that pack the stands and get the juices flowing.
Well Mitchell loss to them for the 2015 1AA championship, I believe the next year they went up to 2A. They had a running back who was real good but had a bad attitude the whole game and should have been kicked out of the game he was tackled and kicked the guy who tackled him in the head. But they were loaded I think 3 D1 guys on offense seems like two RB and a receiver.

Well Mitchell loss to them for the 2015 1AA championship, I believe the next year they went up to 2A. They had a running back who was real good but had a bad attitude the whole game and should have been kicked out of the game he was tackled and kicked the guy who tackled him in the head. But they were loaded I think 3 D1 guys on offense seems like two RB and a receiver.
Yeah, don't kid yourself. That team was deep and talented. You could have suspended any 2 or 3 players you wanted off that team and they still win.

Yeah, don't kid yourself. That team was deep and talented. You could have suspended any 2 or 3 players you wanted off that team and they still win.
Oh I'm not saying Mitchell would have won. It might have been a little closer without him, he was the main thing that did kill us he even got player of the game. But I am just saying he didn't even get called for it and had terrible attitude. From what I understand he went to college and was off the team and out of college his freshman year.

I plan to attend that one if I am in the Carolinas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT