ADVERTISEMENT

And then there were the upsets

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
It was truly black Friday in the N.C. 4A football playoffs. Upsets, major upsets, were everywhere (kind of like last week). But no team got as big a surprise win as Porter RIdge. Seeded No. 18 in the playoffs, and coming off a 27-21 squeaker over Reagan in the first round, the Pirates beat previously unbeaten Greensboro Grimsley 41-27. Grimsley, which won the 4A championship in the spring, was finally back at full strength after welcoming back defensive tackle Travis Shaw, a North Carolina commit who is one of the nation’s five best players period. TOP VIDEOS × Grimsley QB Alonza Barnett has been a candidate for the Mr. Football state player of the year award all season. I don’t think anyone outside of Indian Trail saw this one coming. And now Porter Ridge (8-2) gets a rare chance to beat two reigning state champions in back-to-back weeks. The Pirates play at two-time N.C. 4AA champion Chambers Friday. ▪

Back to the upsets: In the West 4A, No. 13 East Forsyth shut out No. 4 seeded Ardrey Kell 17-0 on the road. No. 25 seed Mallard Creek -- which won its first playoff game in four years last week -- continued its Cinderella run, rallying from 12 points down to beat No. 9 Asheville 13-12. The Mavericks will play conference rival and No. 1 overall seed Hough next week. Sports Pass is your ticket to Charlotte sports Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Charlotte area sports - only $1 a month VIEW OFFER

In the East 4A, the entire bracket nearly came apart. No. 16 Leesville Road beat No. 1 Richmond Senior. No. 25 Knightdale beat No. 9 Pine Forest. No. 12 Millbrook beat No. 5 Hillside. No. 20 Rolesville beat No. 4 New Bern. And No. 18 Panther Creek beat No. 2 Wake Forest. No. 3 Cleveland got seven touchdowns from UNC recruit Omarion Hampton and beat Wilmington Laney 62-20. Cleveland will host preseason state title favorite Cardinal Gibbons next week. ▪

Say what you will about this new six-week playoff format and going back to four classes (I still wish it was five or six), but it’s produced one of the more entertaining playoffs we’ve had in awhile and we’re just two weeks in. There’s four more weekends left. QUICK LINKS

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article255787381.html#storylink=cpy

Now I have been looking for upsets in the 1A bracket and I believe things have pretty much gone as predicted, except Mt Airy was projected to win by 43. Those people just can not get it right all the time! Mt Airy won by 48.

We will forgive them for their error.

• Haha
Reactions: Swain97
Yes it was. North Rowan had to reach way down and pull that one out. Congratulations to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT