ADVERTISEMENT

Worthless HighSchoolOT Thoughts

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
1A

• Best first-round matchup — (21) Cherokee @ (12) Starmount. This is a fascinating matchup between a team from the famed Smoky Mountain Conference and a team whose only loss came to clear 1A favorite Mount Airy. A Cherokee win here would show us how good the SMC is and a Starmount win here could show us how good Mount Airy.
  • Best chance at an upset — (20) Corvian Community @ (13) Draughn. Frankly, I don't see any upsets actually happening in 1A. But if I had to pick one, its this. This Corvian team has some talent on it, but its mostly because I have no idea what to make of Draughn anymore after it was absolutely crushed in the season finale by Mountain Heritage.
  • The hardest road — Everyone in the 1A West. Some of these teams would be state championship-caliber in most other years. Mount Airy is just as special as teams can come.
  • The easiest road — East 1-seed Tarboro. The Vikings won't break a sweat on their way to another state championship appearance.

1A

• Favorite — West 2-seed Mount Airy. The defending state champion Granite Bears look even better than last year. Unbeatable, even.
  • Favorite — East 1-seed Tarboro. The only team with a realistic shot at taking down Mount Airy is the team that it beat in last year's state championship. We all expect to see this matchup again.
  • Dark Horse — Robbinsville, Swain County, Eastern Randolph, Mountain Heritage. I'm just making this category the other 1A West contenders instead. You just wish one or two of these teams could play out East this year to make it a more exciting playoffs. Not that I would pick them to beat Tarboro, but I could see it being more contentious than what we'll get.

Reactions: curtiscummings1
  • 1A East: (1) Tarboro over (2) West Columbus
  • 1A West: (2) Mount Airy over (1) Robbinsville
  • 1A championship: Mount Airy over Tarboro

• 1A East: (1) Tarboro over (2) West Columbus
  • 1A West: (2) Mount Airy over (1) Robbinsville
  • 1A championship: Mount Airy over Tarboro
So they going with chalk to regional finals?
Not very imaginative but it’s the safe bet…

I still believe, and have said it many times, the true State Championship game was last year MA vs ER.
I believe that is the way it will be again this year. ER is the sleeper.
Really not looking to get into a back and forth, just curious and love to discuss hs football. I’ve seen you say that, and I respect your opinion, just curious if it’s because their offense put up more points? I get it, our offense was terrible, and I’m sure that you guys weren’t impressed at all, but our defense held you to 21 points, and special teams (I know special teams is part of the game) set you guys up for two scores. I wouldn’t say y’all’s offense torched us. Again, ER may have very well been better than us, just curious as to why you felt that was the true title game. Thanks for your response.

Nothing against Tarboro. My Lord do I respect their program, Coaching staff, etc.
But last years ER team had a toughness about it that made Mt Airy reach way down deep for that victory. In fact I believe it set the stage for what happened against Draughn which then gave the Bears the confidence to go into the game with Tarboro.

Yes if one or two things had played different against Tarboro, they could easily have won. But ER made Mt Airy reach down for what they had not previously been required to do.

See you two gentlemen had an adult conversation about why one of you felt a certain way. That is the way I wish everyone conversed on this platform. RE has always been a classy man and all the Tarboro faithful have followed suite. I like to cut up as much as anyone, both obvious and on here not quite true, but when push comes to shove I try and give credit to the teenagers representing their high schools. (Except for orange/blue but that's just a Randolph county thing)
Thank you both. First for RE's complimentary words and second for the way vikingpirate asked why RE felt that way.
You gentlemen have restored my faith in this place. I was getting lost in the plethora of GIFs and emojis...
OK not really sure that's what they are called but y'all know what I mean...

Nothing against Tarboro. My Lord do I respect their program, Coaching staff, etc.
But last years ER team had a toughness about it that made Mt Airy reach way down deep for that victory. In fact I believe it set the stage for what happened against Draughn which then gave the Bears the confidence to go into the game with Tarboro.

Yes if one or two things had played different against Tarboro, they could easily have won. But ER made Mt Airy reach down for what they had not previously been required to do.
Great response! That’s exactly what I was looking for. You guys had a tremendous run last year, and a really good team. If we are fortunate enough to play you guys again, I know it’ll be another tough battle

Do you ever watch a game and see your team doing their best and they are just fighting to get everything they can get and can't seem to get ahead. It is an even match and you know one mistake, fumble or bad snap and they will be behind. Honestly, I was uncomfortable the majority of that game and didn't think Mount Airy was going to win that game last year until Eastern Randolph RB got hurt. I think Mr. Whitley is correct.

Do you ever watch a game and see your team doing their best and they are just fighting to get everything they can get and can't seem to get ahead. It is an even match and you know one mistake, fumble or bad snap and they will be behind. Honestly, I was uncomfortable the majority of that game and didn't think Mount Airy was going to win that game last year until Eastern Randolph RB got hurt. I think Mr. Whitley is correct.
That was a tense fine football game. I don't believe in the saying "neither deserved to lose" but it was a well played game between two good teams. Good luck to both Tarboro and Mt Airy in playoffs. I, personally, am pulling for y'all until/if you play the teenagers I support.

If Mt Airy and Tarboro are fortunate enough to get to Raleigh again this year, there are several of us Bears that tailgate at most games and I am sure we would there. What would make it really great would be for the "several" of us on here to get together and break bread together before we go to our respective sides.

My children have long gone from high school (and college), no grandchildren playing, just "neighbors" on the field. Some from here in Surry County, but some from a little farther down the road. Being for a few does not mean I am against the others. I bet I am not the only one that feels that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Did Robbinsville almost beat ER on the road last year?
Yes only a 3 point ER win. And they only beat a very young MH team by 2 scores the round before. To me these are the top 5 teams in 1A-

Mt Airy
Tarboro
Robbinsville
Eastern Randolph
Mtn Heritage

Heritage has a to be happy they will avoid Mt Airy until the final if they can get there and get past N Rowan and likely Robbinsville. Some fascinating games to come.

Yes only a 3 point ER win. And they only beat a very young MH team by 2 scores the round before. To me these are the top 5 teams in 1A-

Mt Airy
Tarboro
Robbinsville
Eastern Randolph
Mtn Heritage

Heritage has a to be happy they will avoid Mt Airy until the final if they can get there and get past N Rowan and likely Robbinsville. Some fascinating games to come.
Ok once again for everyone sitting in the back who might not be able to hear as well as those up front. Yes those scores from last year are correct. Both occurred with ER’s best player in street clothes. Heritage game actually had the two best defenders standing beside the coach. Rville game became a three point contest with three minutes left.
Now having said that, injuries are a part teams have to overcome but Devonte had such an effect on both sides of the ball I honestly was surprised Eastern got as far as they did with him sitting. The good men from Mt Airy may have alluded to his effect on game…

ER was very physical, more than MA and Tarboro. Tarboro had athletes all over the field and are so well coached. Special teams gave MA the edge and our defense was lights out. Gonna be a fun 2nd season.

"Lot's of teams in the West can beat MA."
I pulled the above statement out of the post. Are you serious with this ? Name the lots and I'll put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited:
Ok once again for everyone sitting in the back who might not be able to hear as well as those up front. Yes those scores from last year are correct. Both occurred with ER’s best player in street clothes. Heritage game actually had the two best defenders standing beside the coach. Rville game became a three point contest with three minutes left.
Now having said that, injuries are a part teams have to overcome but Devonte had such an effect on both sides of the ball I honestly was surprised Eastern got as far as they did with him sitting. The good men from Mt Airy may have alluded to his effect on game…
Thing that sets ER apart from most teams is there Coach has them playing together. Some of the best team ball I have seen.

Mt Airy
Tarboro
Robbinsville
Eastern Randolph
Mtn Heritage

In a different thread, I mentioned how I envy the competition in the 1A West. Frankly, Tarboro hasn’t had much of a push in the East since the Dublin County schools moved up to 2A. The suspense of a game in the balance late in the 4th is one of the best parts of playoff football. I really miss it.

East has it made. Cruz into the title game after byes and playing weak teams really helps about winning state titles.

Reactions: curtiscummings1
The second highest ranked East team is ranked around 180th in the state.
BK which ranking system is that? Maxpreps? HighsxhoolOT? Simmons? Massey? John Deere? Case IH? Joe Lunardi?
I understand the point you’re trying to make but, as you know from my past ramblings, don’t put a lot of stock in rankings. Rankings have become their own cottage industry. EVERYBODY does a top ten nowadays. Even ol buzz put his personal rankings on here awhile back. Only difference between his and the rest is we don’t know his criteria.
Ok so no difference between his and the rest 😂😂

I will never quote highschoolot. That site is terrible. They proved that many times.
I was looking at max but Simmons and Massy are close to each other.

Yes I’m sure having to play 2-8 Thomas Jefferson and being favored by 57 points according to Simmons makes for a stressful week. Hopefully y’all can recover.
Dude you are reaching. First rd games are like that in the west. The entire eastern playoffs is like that.
Robbinsville has played 4 conference teams that would beat west.

For what it's worth west Columbus did beat a whiteville team that is one of the better teams in the 2a east. Yeah the rest of their schedule may not be full of heavyweights but that win was pretty impressive.

That was a shocker. Looking at the rest of their schedule it kinda makes me think it was one of those games that the better team didn't win .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT