ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle vs East Montgomery

East Montgomery last beat AHS in the 1992 season opener at AHS.

Thanks for reply....Guess that means that this was the first time that 1A East Montgomery has beaten a 1A Albemarle team, since the Bulldogs were 2A prior to 97'

Also amazing to think that none of the Eagle players were born the last time East Montgomery beat Albemarle....

Guess one could say that things are definitely looking up for the Eagles!

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
The Future Of Albemarle High School!

I look for something to happen in the coming school year. Here you have a school with a capacity of 1,000 students with an enrollment of just over 400. This can't continue. What's the answer. Of course redistrict needs to happen but what else. Maybe consolidation? With no grown in the county except the west end how can we continue to fund 4 high schools. Albemarle is just a shell of what it once was. No stem classes. The athletic program is without coaches for many of the teams. Can the school ever recover from this. Pains me say it but I don't think so barring something unforeseen happening.
No I am not a fan of plan A or B but something has to be done. Here we a have a principal and head football coach coming in that are just a stones throw away from retirement. That tells me a lot. No plan for the future of the school.
Guys we could still be on the chopping block for the coming school year. We need to kept a close eye on the school board and what they might intend to do. I really believe something will happen for the 16-17 school year. Guess consolidation is the only logical answer.

Last edited:
Great posts by new_dawg and others re: the current situation at AHS. Thanks for shedding some light on the problems.

I had known that GSD had taken some good kids away from AHS, but did not realize things had gotten this bad. Albemarle used to be a great middle-class community with a lot of solid families but with the gutting of jobs that has happened there and in other small towns around the South, easy to see how teaching and learning in the schools could suffer.

Continue to believe that consolidation is best for everybody. I haven't studied the proposals and do not know what the possibilities are, but the important thing is to provide a quality education for all the kids in Stanly County so they can be productive and happy adults. If consolidation is the way to achieve that, let's do it. Some traditions will die but new ones will be created. Change is often painful but necessary for the greater good.

I would just like to say I am disheartened by the comments. Albemarle football has been on top for many years and it's having a down year just like a lot of programs. The difference here is that there is no community embrace of an athletic program such as Albemarle. Any other state that I have been in would rally behind a school that has had the success of Albemarle. I have seen consolidated schools and trust me it won't be much different success wise. The communities and students is what makes high schools great. Unfortunately the counties bias lies with North and West. If it didn't instead of surprising everyone with an open enrollment with Albemarle not having a head football and basketball coach they would have just redistricted the lines as that is what is needed. However through open enrollment North had 3 varsity basketball players enroll and West had a varsity basketball and football player enroll. Interesting. With redistricting you could have gotten kids out of mobile units and increased AHS student enrollment 100 kids. By the way AHS also has the nicest HS in the county.

Let us remember that football may be down this year, but we had a kid win a state championship in track, both boys and girls bball represented AHS at regionals in Winston Salem. Make no mistake about it the kids are still here and putting the effort in. That is not the problem at AHS.

Football wise they have had some tough breaks this season thus far. Hopefully these coaches can get it turned around. I do not believe that the football is gone forever, it's a down year after a lot of turnover at HC and this coach has a job to do if he don't or can't do it then he needs to step aside.

"Perfect storm" is what has happened to the football program. It is not one thing that is causing the losses, the lack of players, the lack of success of the O, et al. This has been gradually building over a period of time and it is all coming together in a very negative way, ie "perfect storm".

If the coaching choice was different 2.5 years ago, if the removal of the coach from 1.5 years ago is different, different HC hired then, if the last coach remained in place, if the former AD does not leave which I think was direct result in the forfeits, if there were more coaches on the teaching staff at AHS, if you do have the players fighting, the school closure issues, the students leaving due to the educational opportunities, et al. All of these things are coming together for football right now.

I think this is a season to build a "team" with the system that the HC wants in place and start working with the youth leagues and middle school on that system. The days of AHS rolling out more athletes, better athletes, more size, more support than any other 1A team are not going to be there for awhile. It is time to strengten the foundation. It is almost like the first season for Gaster but it will be tougher this time to build it back up because the school overall is nowhere near as strong as it was in the early 1990's and it will be tougher to get the support from outside the school.

Albemarle, keep your heads up. Hiring a coach in late July hurt more than you can imagine. No time at all to install a new system and it is now showing on the field. It may take a while but you will be back. As a Murphy supporter I can recall the dark years of the early 1980's. Our program was in complete shambles going winless in 1981. Coach Gentry came in a we were state champs again in 1986 and have never looked back.

I would just like to say I am disheartened by the comments. Albemarle football has been on top for many years and it's having a down year just like a lot of programs. The difference here is that there is no community embrace of an athletic program such as Albemarle. Any other state that I have been in would rally behind a school that has had the success of Albemarle. I have seen consolidated schools and trust me it won't be much different success wise. The communities and students is what makes high schools great. Unfortunately the counties bias lies with North and West. If it didn't instead of surprising everyone with an open enrollment with Albemarle not having a head football and basketball coach they would have just redistricted the lines as that is what is needed. However through open enrollment North had 3 varsity basketball players enroll and West had a varsity basketball and football player enroll. Interesting. With redistricting you could have gotten kids out of mobile units and increased AHS student enrollment 100 kids. By the way AHS also has the nicest HS in the county.

Let us remember that football may be down this year, but we had a kid win a state championship in track, both boys and girls bball represented AHS at regionals in Winston Salem. Make no mistake about it the kids are still here and putting the effort in. That is not the problem at AHS.

Football wise they have had some tough breaks this season thus far. Hopefully these coaches can get it turned around. I do not believe that the football is gone forever, it's a down year after a lot of turnover at HC and this coach has a job to do if he don't or can't do it then he needs to step aside.
I'm not trying to disharten anyone bulldog nation. I appreciate Anyone that is holding the Faith. This isn't a good year not to question things. Maybe We should go to Track meets and Basketball games more. Sandy Brundin works at the School. I think the World of Her and Her Husband. He was the Minister Who did the Wedding for My Wife and I back almost 14 years ago

Well if we as a community show this type of faith in these kids and at the moment they have a down year we talk about maybe it's good we consolidate etc. What example is that to these kids. How can they have school pride when at the drop of a hat the bias can rule and AHS can close? If we don't give a damn as a community about AHS why should they? There is NO secret of the bias that is for North and West. If there wasn't then why not redistrict? Do you think these kids don't see this?

I find it hilarious how the board would no let us hire a football coach in may but yet they do open enrollment and then our coach can start lmao smh.

When we played at Pfeiffer this year against NS I believe 1200-1300 people attended both games both times we played them. It's a great atmosphere. Would love to see our fans bring that excitement and craziness to football.

Great posts by new_dawg and others re: the current situation at AHS. Thanks for shedding some light on the problems.

I had known that GSD had taken some good kids away from AHS, but did not realize things had gotten this bad. Albemarle used to be a great middle-class community with a lot of solid families but with the gutting of jobs that has happened there and in other small towns around the South, easy to see how teaching and learning in the schools could suffer.

Continue to believe that consolidation is best for everybody. I haven't studied the proposals and do not know what the possibilities are, but the important thing is to provide a quality education for all the kids in Stanly County so they can be productive and happy adults. If consolidation is the way to achieve that, let's do it. Some traditions will die but new ones will be created. Change is often painful but necessary for the greater good.
Gray Stone might have taken some students from Albemarle but I don't think any of them were football players.

Answer just a couple Questions. 1. Why do We have a playlist of about 4 songs before a Ballgame? Where is @/the Marching Band? Some of Us would like to have the same things that other Schools have out there.We are Football Fans but Ballgames should give Us a little more

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
One of the best Recievers in Albemarle history just posted a picture of Himself looking across the Field at Albemarle. If that don't fire up a Bulldog Fans, nothing will. It would be a shame if Albemarle shut down

Still not enough.

I believe our D1 team beat South Stanly last night, that's the only win in Albemarle I know of lol.

When you have Albemarle fans going to watch other schools play, it's bad. I know for a fact Albemarle fans have been going to watch other schools in the county play and not their own team. I'd never thought this day would come but it has.

They will get a win (hopefully) Friday to build some confidence and get the ball rolling.

We could have built some type if foundation. I heard Travis Gaster put in for the position and never got a call back! You think the fans or the community wouldn't have supported that?

You guys only now half...it is what it is.
I never heard about Travis Gaster applying for the job. It would surprise me if he did after he was given the head job at Princeton High School. By the way he's 0-3 at Princeton so far this year.

Well if we as a community show this type of faith in these kids and at the moment they have a down year we talk about maybe it's good we consolidate etc. What example is that to these kids. How can they have school pride when at the drop of a hat the bias can rule and AHS can close? If we don't give a damn as a community about AHS why should they? There is NO secret of the bias that is for North and West. If there wasn't then why not redistrict? Do you think these kids don't see this?
Fair enough. I don't support consolidation for reasons that have anything to do with football (I don't even know if consolidation is the right move) but I get why some might think this is the wrong time and place to have the discussion. I'll try to remember to save my thoughts on this for the offseason.

Beat Chatham Central.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT