ADVERTISEMENT

1A West next year?

Draughn is the new Swain when it comes to open enrollment. All the years of hearing on these boards about how Swain can thank Cherokee for all of their championships. I'm sure BK remembers those posts because I'm sure he was a part of the ribbing too back then. But Swain drawing from Cherokee and their 20 players back in the day is way different than Draughn (potentially) drawing for those 1000+ kids at Freedom, since it's a failing school as you all have mentioned.

Can we just all agree no matter what the school size is a teams only going to have 50 ish kids come to play football… schools that win regularly may have more but the bottom line is you better have a great youth program. I’m also guessing that Andrews has most of every boy in the school playing football …. Now if that was the case everywhere bigger school would probably dominate every game. Do I like having 4 classes NO !!!!

Reactions: Mhsneer
I sure hope it gets passed
If anyone read the attached article 9Above) you will quickly see that while 68% of the membership voted for expansion previously, the number of schools voting for it had to be 75% and did not achieve this level because many schools did not vote at all.

My take on that is: the problem is not with the NCHSSA, rather it is with the schools that did not participate in the vote.

Agreed and also agree with your earlier point, it’s a bigger issue in 4A than it is 1A for sure.
It’s way bigger issue in 1a. How would you like to coach at a school with 300 kids in the entire school. Assuming you got 150 boys in the entire school. Good luck even fielding a team.
In 4a give me 1200 kids and I’ll find 30 guys that’ll beat your butt. It’s not real hard there’s more boys to choose from.
Would you like to pick a team from 150 boys or 300 boys?
Do you think your 150 boys would be at a disadvantage if I picked from 300 boys?

Do you think picking from 1200 boys or 1500 boys makes that big a difference.

I coached at a middle school with 31 boys in the 7th and 8th grade. We competed in basketball but got our brains beat out in football. In football a small school has such a huge disadvantage. That’s why it’s miraculous what robbinsville does consistently.

If anyone read the attached article 9Above) you will quickly see that while 68% of the membership voted for expansion previously, the number of schools voting for it had to be 75% and did not achieve this level because many schools did not vote at all.

My take on that is: the problem is not with the NCHSSA, rather it is with the schools that did not participate in the vote.

Schools should be forced to vote and if they don't they should face a fine. If it requires sending someone to schools that don't vote to get a vote, so be it.

First off if a school doesn't vote, it's counted as a "NO" vote..NCHSAA should change that policy. It could just as easy be a yes vote. If a school doesn't vote they should not be included in the vote, thus weakening down the percentage ..

Change the vote from 75% to 2/3 votes which is a majority.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
They did say 7 classes. 8 works better because it could look more like the 1A-1AA, 2A-2AA, 3A 3AA, & 4A 4AA. All the numbers would change below but use a split formula they had for the playoffs 2 years ago for A & AA. They made that work starting with 8 games. It's money they are after anyway.
1A-0-400
2A-401-800
3A-801-1200
4A-1201-1600
5A-1600-2000
6A-2001-2500
7A-2501 +

Last edited:
Well with 7 classifications you get 31 teams in each. So you can't even have a 32 team playoff so what do you do? Have all 31 play or just top 16? 7 seems a bit much TN has 6 but they have more schools in their 1A they have I think 46 teams they have 8 regions in each classification then 32 team playoffs the top four from each region make the playoffs top two from each region play at home first round then certain regions play each other region 1 & 2 etc for NC to do that 5 classifications would be the most we could have.
May want to check those numbers. The article indicates a lot more schools than your example.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Well with 7 classifications you get 31 teams in each. So you can't even have a 32 team playoff so what do you do? Have all 31 play or just top 16? 7 seems a bit much TN has 6 but they have more schools in their 1A they have I think 46 teams they have 8 regions in each classification then 32 team playoffs the top four from each region make the playoffs top two from each region play at home first round then certain regions play each other region 1 & 2 etc for NC to do that 5 classifications would be the most we could have.

I think I saw the NCHSAA say the goal was 64 teams in each division. Maybe I'm crazy.

May want to check those numbers. The article indicates a lot more schools than your example.
I deleted it I don't know was I was thinking.
I believe I was adding East numbers and West numbers separately instead of all together. I tried to delete it before anyone noticed once I realized.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdavis31
I deleted that post forget it. Don't know what I was thinking been a long day got some medical issues on my mind is my only excuse. There are 427 I think so that's 61 in 6 with 60 in one if you go 7 classifications.

Well the article states 432. I was going by the PDF of the conferences actually I was one off .
1A East 52 -West 55
2A 53 - 53
3A 52 - 55
4A 52 - 54
That's 426 I don't why it's different from the 432 unless the PDF is just showing football schools but it doesn't state.

GA has hell of a lot more population and a lot more HSs

Georgia is only slightly bigger than NC population wise and chances are NC surpasses it eventually.
GHSA has 459 schools in 8 classes, NCHSAA is now in the 430s with the schools that got added today. If you took out all the private schools GHSA allows that NCHSAA doesn’t, we’d have more.

Reactions: BK13T-$
By the time this goes into effect the numbers of schools will probably be in the 440s with all the charters popping up like rabbits. I think the DPI approved the fast track of 3 more yesterday ran by a for profit organization.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT