ADVERTISEMENT

1A West next year?

It would take someone with more information and time than me, but what about this?
1A less than 500
2A 500-999
3A 1,000-1499
4A 1500-1999
5A 2,000 and over

It’s my contention that once you have 2,000 students, depth may be a factor in some sports. But having several hundred more students isn’t as significant as in lower classes. Schedule number of playoff participants according to the number of schools in each class, if necessary.
Spot on !!!!

IMO, the biggest problem I see with the playoffs and classifications is the number of playoff games 1A has to play. To me, that poses the largest safety threat to the kids. And if we all should agree on something, it should be that. The health and safety of the kids.

1A schools with 30 on the roster should not have to play the same amount of playoff games as a 4A team with 75 on the roster. I feel that 5 playoff games (which is where the toughest competition will be) AND the Ship is just too much for 30 kids to physically handle. I mean look at Andrews.

When there was 8 classifications, there were only 4 playoff rounds and then the Ship. Which, in my opinion, is better for the sport. However, Raleigh doesn’t see it as being better for their pocketbook.
THey went from 11 game regular season to 10 games. Then added 1 more playoff game. Only reason was to keep same number of teams in playoffs as when they had split 1A/1AA etc. Looks like a money thing idk js. So many blow outs in first round. Should keep 11 game regular season with endowment game and 4 rd playoffs.

Ridiculous !!!! 619 enrollment. NCHSAA have lost their mind
It's nothing new. I just pulled up the ADM's from two decades ago--2002 there were four schools over 700 in 1A and 619 would've been barely in the top 20 of 1A schools back then. These sized schools have been in 1A since the 90s, the issue is we used to have enough sense to know that subdivision needed to happen, at least in 1A and 4A.

In 2001, when Andrews made regionals in basketball, they had 285 and played Burlington Cummings with 762. Once consolidation started to happen all over, there just aren't enough schools like Andrews/Elkin/Rosman left to make a class that's fair to them unless you just said "under 400 is 1A" and if there are only 30 schools for football, then so be it. Some states do it that way, but I could see where travel could turn in to a problem with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
Doesn't look like that's going to happen with the new board members. If they did they would be the same size as draughn
I think it would be a little bigger than that. I would guess around 800 when you factor in Hiwassee Dam kids, but count out some kids from HD and Andrews going out of county and the Early College possibly hitting its max with the new building and taking some kids away.

So what is the new board members alternate plan? Because something needs to happen. Push for a different location? Bring back the two high school idea? Or just give back $50M and keep their heads in the sand until the current schools crumble around the kids?

Reactions: BK13T-$ and sbbbfan
The new school for Science and Math in Morganton will join the WHC, Non-football school and too late to add them for this year (at least for winter sports). Will mean another trip to Morganton for WHC schools, unsure about facilities right now.

Reactions: Fbfan28655
Wildcat fan...did you pick Andrews to beat Draughn..with about 80% of everybody else. You lost! Haven't heard you cry all year about being undefeated. You beat whoever was placed before you. Now take your loss and be proud of what you guys accomplished. Again there would have been no talk about Draughns size had you had won. Everyone knows that. No hypocrite here. Just calling it like I see it. I see that Andrews had a Great team. Draughn had the better team. They have been 1a all year. Im sure you picked Andrews to beat them...and size had nothin to do with your's or anybodies selection choice. But lose and all of a sudden it means everything....Lol get outta here.

I’m talking about one of the charter schools that moved to 1A. They literally have the resources to pull from across the state to make that team. Trust me I know
Corvian also got approved to move into a football conference. NCSSM Burke County campus will do pretty well in country club sports, but won't play football and not a charter--part of the UNC system.

Reactions: swatz19
Wildcat fan...did you pick Andrews to beat Draughn..with about 80% of everybody else. You lost! Haven't heard you cry all year about being undefeated. You beat whoever was placed before you. Now take your loss and be proud of what you guys accomplished. Again there would have been no talk about Draughns size had you had won. Everyone knows that. No hypocrite here. Just calling it like I see it. I see that Andrews had a Great team. Draughn had the better team. They have been 1a all year. Im sure you picked Andrews to beat them...and size had nothin to do with your's or anybodies selection choice. But lose and all of a sudden it means everything....Lol get outta here.
Oh i’m not going anywhere !!! I’ve just begun. You are correct I didn’t brag, boost or beat my chest about Andrews all year. But when you find out a no name team that hardly anyone had ever heard of was just dropped down last year from 2A to 1A with a enrollment of 631 and in a county to pull from of 88,000 which in its self is bigger than all the SMC counties combined and still 25,000 more. Just stay in your lane big mouth. When you can relate to a traditional rural 1A football school then we will talk. You have run your mouth on here for a long time giving your unwanted opinions now it’s my turn. If you don’t like it keep scrolling or block me. It’s that simple

I love it actually crybaby. I suppose you would be crying this much if you won? Why would i block you...I always like "Cry Me A River" by Justin Timberlake!!🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Jmappfan5
Oh i’m not going anywhere !!! I’ve just begun. You are correct I didn’t brag, boost or beat my chest about Andrews all year. But when you find out a no name team that hardly anyone had ever heard of was just dropped down last year from 2A to 1A with a enrollment of 631 and in a county to pull from of 88,000 which in its self is bigger than all the SMC counties combined and still 25,000 more.
Just to make sure I follow what your saying.
So your saying now that county census info such as county population should also be included in the metric for deciding classification? Since you are citing Burke Coumty population and saying they have a much larger pool to pull from amd they can have larger ADMs because of that, I would assume that’s what your saying but just wanted to make sure.

Just to make sure I follow what your saying.
So your saying now that county census info such as county population should also be included in the metric for deciding classification? Since you are citing Burke Coumty population and saying they have a much larger pool to pull from amd they can have larger ADMs because of that, I would assume that’s what your saying but just wanted to make sure.
I think a lot of people could get behind the population of the area a school can draw from being factored in. So charters factor in the population of the 25-mile radius. If a county has district lines, then you wouldn’t count the whole county—but if there’s open enrollment like Forsyth then you would.

Lovely...lil mind...bro..im gonna leave you alone. You lost...You're bitter...You're accusatory..but you're home like all the other teams except Mt.Airy and Draughn. They are playin for all the marbles for the West. Everyone else had a chance. These two teams made it. Just accept it. Leave all the other nonsense at home...if it didn't matter to ya before last Friday of this year...Good luck next year.

Lovely...lil mind...bro..im gonna leave you alone. You lost...You're bitter...You're accusatory..but you're home like all the other teams except Mt.Airy and Draughn. They are playin for all the marbles for the West. Everyone else had a chance. These two teams made it. Just accept it. Leave all the other nonsense at home...if it didn't matter to ya before last Friday of this year...Good luck next year.
At the end of the day maybe SMC was down little this year.

Andrews would have won it! But if and when a tradionally smaller team does win it all...everyone will go berzerk in a Good Way. So far no other conference has came close but the SMC. It will be tough.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Wow!!!

So you think 300 is 300? 😆

Percentage really helps people. You should try it.

300/600 is 100% increase
2,000/4,000 is 100% increase
1,700/2,000 17% increase.

Percentages helps
While yes you're correct well a little off it's closer to 17.65% but not sure this is the proper place to use percentages to make the point.
If I understand the point it's showing how many more boys a larger school has to draw from the more boys the better odds of finding boys who want and athletic enough to play football.
Say if you have a school of 300 playing one with 600 and another game of a school of 1,700 playing one with 2,000 and that all four schools boy/girl division is 50/50. Well the 600 has 150 more boys to draw from than the school of 300 and also the school of 2,000 has 150 more boys to draw from than the 1,700 school as well.
That said it probably won't as big of a difference between the two big schools after all you still have 850 boys to make a team.

• Haha
My point was there are 4A rural schools like Watauga with 1500 kids and then there are 4A Metro schools like Myers Park with 3700 students. I don't care about percentages. That's 2200 more students. That's a whole other 4A size school of students.
Yeah of course I just the 1,700-2,000 comparison. And right now I believe Watauga is actually lower that 1,300 so your more that double between them Myers Park. As some has said probably needs to be at least one more classification.

My point was there are 4A rural schools like Watauga with 1500 kids and then there are 4A Metro schools like Myers Park with 3700 students. I don't care about percentages. That's 2200 more students. That's a whole other 4A size school of students.
Agreed and also agree with your earlier point, it’s a bigger issue in 4A than it is 1A for sure.

Ridiculous !!!! 619 enrollment. NCHSAA have lost their mind
Well I don't really blame Polk they've been upset about going up to 1A while schools the same size like Mtn Heritage dropped to 1A. Personally if I was East Surry I would have appealed as well I believe they've actually gone down from 588 in the 2019-2020 realignment adm to 564.
But they've made it to complicated forget the other crap go to enrollment and like everyone else has been saying add one or two classifications whichever works for fairness and have enough teams in that class.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Agreed and also agree with your earlier point, it’s a bigger issue in 4A than it is 1A for sure.
I actually think it may be a bigger issue in smaller schools. Let’s face it, even a 3,000 person school isn’t going to carry 150 kids on their varsity football team. But, when Thomasville was fielding 23 varsity kids and playing North Davidson, Ledford and Oak Grove with 55-70, there was a huge difference. 640 students as opposed to 950-1150.

I actually think it may be a bigger issue in smaller schools. Let’s face it, even a 3,000 person school isn’t going to carry 150 kids on their varsity football team. But, when Thomasville was fielding 23 varsity kids and playing North Davidson, Ledford and Oak Grove with 55-70, there was a huge difference. 640 students as opposed to 950-1150.
1500 has less of an athlete pool, sure, but a school with 1500 is typically going to be able to field a JV team, not have that many kids go both ways, and not share too many kids with multiple other sports. When you talk the high end of 1A v. the low end of 1A those differences start to come into play more.

Nobody's fault for playing where they're put and winning, but there should be six classes. NCHSAA has less classes and way more schools per class than any state around us.

Last edited:
1500 has less of an athlete pool, sure, but a school with 1500 is typically going to be able to field a JV team, not have that many kids go both ways, and not share too many kids with multiple other sports. When you talk the high end of 1A v. the low end of 1A those differences start to come into play more.

Nobody's fault for playing where they're put and winning, but there should be six classes. NCHSAA has more schools jammed into less classes than any of our surrounding states.
Being able to two platoon used to be a huge advantage for Thomasville teams. It‘s only been in the last 8-10 years that we got away from that. Beat a lot of teams wearing them down in the fourth quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT