ADVERTISEMENT

1A West next year?

26BellyG

Aug 22, 2022
With appeals to reclassify for schools happening , word is that the 1A West could have three new teams to contend with next fall. Saw on another post that Polk, Chase, and East Surry are all still at 1A numbers and could move back down to the 1A ranks. If that is true and it happens, that could make the 1A West even more interesting next year.

With appeals to reclassify for schools happening , word is that the 1A West could have three new teams to contend with next fall. Saw on another post that Polk, Chase, and East Surry are all still at 1A numbers and could move back down to the 1A ranks. If that is true and it happens, that could make the 1A West even more interesting next year.
East Surry will be weak for a while.

You are correct. Chase is the only one out of that list that worries me now. That would make for an interesting west next fall for sure

Reactions: buzzcoach
Schools can appeal their classifications and be granted an appeal to move up or down after 2 years in realignment. Those appeals are being heard today. Not all of them will be granted, must wont. But I would be willing to be someone is moving before next school year.

Reactions: thekidd12
So...will 1a have more schools than 2/3/4a?
That's odd if so.

Ollis is retiring at Polk. They fell off a bit when he left for a few years in between his two stints there, and they weren't all that good before he got there.

I dont know exactly, but the appeals are based mainly of a drop in enrollment in the two years since the last realignment.

Ollis is retiring at Polk. They fell off a bit when he left for a few years in between his two stints there, and they weren't all that good before he got there.
Polk is no threat for at least a couple years… that’s if we get a good hire … man I hope we get a GREAT hire. Now Chase may make some noise and idk anything about East surry except they have been really darn good the last few years.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
You can go back to when the realignment was announced and read a Polk county newspaper article how they didn't like the fact that even though theirs and Mtn Heritage adm was the exact same @ 614 but because of their Wells Fargo cup points were higher they were moved up to 2A while MH move down to 1A.
Their lastest article about their appeal to go back to 1A the article also mentions Chase but I don't know how with a ADM of 722 which the realignment was based on that they have a leg to stand on going to 1A unless they've lost 100 plus students since 2019-2020.

Last edited:
You can go back to when the realignment was announced and read a Polk county newspaper article how they didn't like the fact that even though theirs and Mtn Heritage adm was the exact same @ 614 but because of their Wells Fargo cup points were higher they were moved up to 2A while MH move down to 1A.
Their lastest article about their appeal to go back to 1A the article also mentions Chase but I don't know how with a ADM of 722 which the realignment was based on that they have a leg to stand on going to 1A unless they've lost 100 plus students since 2019-2020.

According to what I found this morning looking at adm Chase has lost exactly 100 kids and all Rutherford co. schools have lost close to a 100 kids per school.

• Wow
Reactions: Old Mountaineer
3 classifications for the purposes of making conferences and then subdivide for the playoffs-in all sports. That would be the easiest and fairest way to do it here in NC so that we could avoid split classification conferences to the greatest extent and have the fairest playoffs possible.

So your school of 300 some having to play a school with 600 isn't fair but Weddington with around 1700 having to play Hough with 2600 is? There are 4A schools well over 3000 and several in the 1600 range.

1A isn't nearly as problematic as 4A imo.
I think we can all agree that the smaller schools is a big difference from the 4A. I understand doubling up no matter the number gives you more talent pool to pull from but another issue with the small schools is players playing both ways and special teams. Most of your bigger schools do not have that problem if they do play both ways they are probably a stud D1 athletes. I know there's some things with 600 kids that have a lot that play both ways but most do not.

Burke County HS total enrollment 3500

SMC SCHOOLS

Cherokee County. 3 HS 868
( Hiawasse Dam ) non Football. 185
( Andrews ). 210
( Murphy). 471

Graham County. 1 HS. 373
Clay Count. 1 HS. 375
Swain County. 1 HS 566
Cherokee HS. 1 HS. 350

4 counties and 1 Cherokee Reservation combined still is 1000 students short of Burke County Enrollment. I rest my case

So your school of 300 some having to play a school with 600 isn't fair but Weddington with around 1700 having to play Hough with 2600 is? There are 4A schools well over 3000 and several in the 1600 range.

1A isn't nearly as problematic as 4A imo.
I think we can all agree that the smaller schools is a big difference from the 4A. I understand doubling up no matter the number gives you more talent pool to pull from but another issue with the small schools is players playing both ways and special teams. Most of your bigger schools do not have that problem if they do play both ways they are probably a stud D1 athletes. I know there's some things with 600 kids that have a lot that play both ways but most do not.
A lot of folks don’t really have a clue how hard it is at a small school. You never worry about numbers or injuries (unless it’s your star player), practice and preparation are totally different, you don’t have to worry if you’re gonna have a kicker(lol), and the list goes on! We’re just different, and if you’re not one of us, you’ll never understand.

Burke County HS total enrollment 3500

SMC SCHOOLS

Cherokee County. 3 HS 868
( Hiawasse Dam ) non Football. 185
( Andrews ). 210
( Murphy). 471

Graham County. 1 HS. 373
Clay Count. 1 HS. 375
Swain County. 1 HS 566
Cherokee HS. 1 HS. 350

4 counties and 1 Cherokee Reservation combined still is 1000 students short of Burke County Enrollment. I rest my case
All that shows is we are all the small fish in 1A

A lot of folks don’t really have a clue how hard it is at a small school. You never worry about numbers or injuries (unless it’s your star player), practice and preparation are totally different, you don’t have to worry if you’re gonna have a kicker(lol), and the list goes on! We’re just different, and if you’re not one of us, you’ll never understand.

Don't think that I don't understand because I was a part of a small school growing up but to whine over 600 kids in a school is ridiculous imo.

Don't think that I don't understand because I was a part of a small school growing up but to whine over 600 kids in a school is ridiculous imo.
I’m not whining, we lineup and handle our business against bigger schools all the time. My problem lies with open enrollment and charter schools. There’s too many outside factors involved when it comes to numbers and classes. But it’d be a hell of a lot easier to assemble a stout team out of 1700 than 210 year after year.

I’m not whining, we lineup and handle our business against bigger schools all the time. My problem lies with open enrollment and charter schools. There’s too many outside factors involved when it comes to numbers and classes. But it’d be a hell of a lot easier to assemble a stout team out of 1700 than 210 year after year.

Well we all agree on charters and open enrollment but we have to live with it.

Any changes in 1A will not take place until 2024. Then some can drop to 1A and some may go to 2A. Someone is getting ahead of themselves. I do that too at times. I get numbed brain. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT