ADVERTISEMENT

1A North Carolina state championship game Mitchell Mountaineers vs Tarboro Vikings

Y’all are the champs and to be the man you gotta beat the man. Hopefully it’ll be a close game in the 4th quarter.

900 elizabethton hwy bluff city Tn in between Johnson city and Elizabethton on 19e hwy. bunch old lady’s that look like your grandma cook in there. If you don’t get there early you may stand in line for an hour. It’s worth every minute. They smoke it right there I’m salivating as I type
You are 100% correct.

Was that the bomb Mitchell threw that had the Robbinsville penalty tacked onto the end of it? That was a nice catch!

Onto the game at hand, if Mitchell plays like last night, I see them winning it. The balance, if you can call Mitchell balanced on offense, was where I think it needs to be to win a championship. Not just throwing on long yardage downs will be the key to keeping Tarboro guessing. One thing to note about Mitchell's QB is he doesn't go down easy. You won't see him falling to a shoulder tackle or somebody slapping at his cleat as he runs past you.
The catch I was thinking of is on this video by #21 but while still a real good catch I was wrong it wasn't one handed just looked that way I real life but he did have to go up probably as high as he could to get it..

https://www.highschoolot.com/highlights-mitchell-rolls-past-robbinsville-34-21-in-1a-west/20016772/

I will be pulling for Tarboro for sure but just get the feeling like this is finally Mitchell’s year to win. Just seems like they are destined to take home the title. Tarboro has a great championship pedigree and Mitchell has been there but just needs to get over that last hurdle. It should be an outstanding game and will probably be some butt clenching fan bases in the 4th quarter. Best of luck to both teams and safe travels for everyone involved.

I will be pulling for Tarboro for sure but just get the feeling like this is finally Mitchell’s year to win. Just seems like they are destined to take home the title. Tarboro has a great championship pedigree and Mitchell has been there but just needs to get over that last hurdle. It should be an outstanding game and will probably be some butt clenching fan bases in the 4th quarter. Best of luck to both teams and safe travels for everyone involved.
Good post

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
On paper, we definitely have to be the under dog. I know many outsiders will look at this post and think I’m crazy, but this is a very young Viking squad. I believe only six seniors?? Maybe less.
I actually believe because of our lack of depth, and number of new faces, this actually may be one of our coaches best jobs. To still make it here is a testament to our great staff, and hard working young men who have bought in to what the coaches are asking of them

On paper, we definitely have to be the under dog. I know many outsiders will look at this post and think I’m crazy, but this is a very young Viking squad. I believe only six seniors?? Maybe less.
I actually believe because of our lack of depth, and number of new faces, this actually may be one of our coaches best jobs. To still make it here is a testament to our great staff, and hard working young men who have bought in to what the coaches are asking of them
Yeah on paper we definitely probably are the underdog. But another thing that would help us is we have a coaching staff that has been here a lot of times and they know what to expect. And those seniors played in the State title game earlier this year and a few of the Juniors did too. One could argue we were probably a slight underdog earlier this year against East Surry after what they did to us in 2019. I know they weren't as good as they were in 19 but they were still really good.

Tarboro is a great program and team. Y’all are the favorites could probably won 2a East.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
What is helping in tarboro's favor is the perquimans QB was very similar to the one Mitchell has. We've played several other QBs who like to run a lot like from Hertford county for example
Well not trying to be a smart butt you've seen them in person but just looking a numbers in comparison 631 yard rushing QB to a 2303 rushing QB but it does look like the Perquimans QB missed some game but still average yards per game 97 vs 154. Hertfords highest rusher 918 , 84 avg ypg.

Reactions: Swain97
Well not trying to be a smart butt you've seen them in person but just looking a numbers in comparison 631 yard rushing QB to a 2303 rushing QB but it does look like the Perquimans QB missed some game but still average yards per game 97 vs 154. Hertfords highest rusher 918 , 84 avg ypg.
Yeah the perquimans QB got hurt a few games. I'm not saying both of those quarterbacks were as good as the one that y'all have lol he's the real deal. Just saying that tarboro does have some experience with a quarterback that can run which is better than not having any

Tarboro is a great program and team. Y’all are the favorites could probably won 2a East.
Idk about winning the 2a east this year it was loaded. I will go on record and say in my honest opinion of the last four tarboro teams ,at least two of them would have played for the 2a State title. Jmo

Reactions: Mhsneer
Well on paper looks pretty even to me infact Tarboro has the edge in points and points allowed...
Rushing Yards/G
M 308.7
T 304.2
Passing Yards/G
M 82.6
T 38.5
Total Yards/G
M 391.3
T 342.7
Tackles/G
M 69.9
T 69.2
Sacks/G
M 0.2
T 1.7
Points/G
M 38.6
T 39.6
Points allowed/G
M 14.5
T 10

What is helping in tarboro's favor is the perquimans QB was very similar to the one Mitchell has. We've played several other QBs who like to run a lot like from Hertford county for example
This one may be the best you have seen, I will be honest my kid was quarterback till tenth grade, they put him at rb and put Turbyfield at qb I was upset for a while, I know now why they made that decision our coaching staff know what they're doing trust me you ain't stopping him

Well on paper looks pretty even to me infact Tarboro has the edge in points and points allowed...
Rushing Yards/G
M 308.7
T 304.2
Passing Yards/G
M 82.6
T 38.5
Total Yards/G
M 391.3
T 342.7
Tackles/G
M 69.9
T 69.2
Sacks/G
M 0.2
T 1.7
Points/G
M 38.6
T 39.6
Points allowed/G
M 14.5
T 10
The obvious one here is of course y'all will average more passing yards than us LOL😂.

This one may be the best you have seen, I will be honest my kid was quarterback till tenth grade, they put him at rb and put Turbyfield at qb I was upset for a while, I know now why they made that decision our coaching staff know what they're doing trust me you ain't stopping him
Turbyfield reminds of Lamar Jackson tbh. the way he runs is very similar. Now if we're talking about the best quarterback tarboro has ever seen? I mean Jefferson boaz was incredible. Can't forget about about the QB Kinston had In 2011. I'm sure some of the older tarboro fans can name some other good ones that we've gone up against. I'm sure turbyfield will be in that conversation

The year you all beat heritage is one of the best hs teams I’ve ever seen
This Tarboro team is nothing compared to that one. I don’t mean this negative, If you saw that Tarboro team you know where I’m coming from, but if we had that group, I wouldn’t be very worried about this game. Again, they certainly were a special group. And as others said, Todd Gurley was a sophomore on that team and didn’t get ONE carry, that’s how loaded that team was.

That heritage team had one of the best o lines ive seen. The kid that went to dook wrecked them. He was dominant.
Yeah that mountain heritage team was a big team tarboro had that mental edge coming in though. They brought back a lot of the previous years team that lost the State title they knew what it felt like to walk off that field losing and nothing was going to deny them that night.

This Tarboro team is nothing compared to that one. I don’t mean this negative, If you saw that Tarboro team you know where I’m coming from, but if we had that group, I wouldn’t be very worried about this game. Again, they certainly were a special group. And as others said, Todd Gurley was a sophomore on that team and didn’t get ONE carry, that’s how loaded that team was.
You know what's scary is if Todd actually had started on that team 😳. But you're right this team is nothing like the 2009 team. And it's no disrespect to this team or the coaches but that 2009 team along with the three after that we're just on another level.

I imagine you all have really great team speed? I love the offense y’all run. I won’t like it Saturday lol. It’ll be interesting as this will be very similar styles of play with two top notch coaching staffs. People talk about our qb and he’s really good, we got an outstanding group of kids that play for each other. No real super stars just solid team play.

Turbyfield reminds of Lamar Jackson tbh. the way he runs is very similar. Now if we're talking about the best quarterback tarboro has ever seen? I mean Jefferson boaz was incredible. Can't forget about about the QB Kinston had In 2011. I'm sure some of the older tarboro fans can name some other good ones that we've gone up against. I'm sure turbyfield will be in that conversation
My son played linebacker against Boaz as a sophomore he was the best high school qb I have ever seen, I'm just saying Turbyfield is the best you have seen this year

You know what's scary is if Todd actually had started on that team 😳. But you're right this team is nothing like the 2009 team. And it's no disrespect to this team or the coaches but that 2009 team along with the three after that we're just on another level.
Y’all would’ve won the other divisions as well that year. Heritage that year beat teams like rented mules. Y’all wore em out

I'm not saying it's bothering the coaches they obviously know how to prepare for a game. But just me the thing that concerns me the most is I don't how many times ( I believe Swain ran it a few times) they've seen the old T formation and triple option like that if you don't play disciplined D can really hurt you. I about rather met a spread formation team.

My son played linebacker against Boaz as a sophomore he was the best high school qb I have ever seen, I'm just saying Turbyfield is the best you have seen this year
I’m going to be captain obvious here. Heath shuler is by far the best hs qb I’ve ever seen. If the spread had been a offense back then dude would’ve been even better.

Oh okay my bad LOL I was thinking you were saying like all time. No denying that about turbyfield, he's gonna be the best one we've played this year. Does turbyfield have an arm like Boaz did?

I was there I know I thought Heritage got screwed On the inadverted whistle which would have put them up 10-0 I went to Church with Heritages qb Josh Laws he could fake the handoff so well To Casey the refs would blow it dead half the time saw it several times that year

Reactions: Mhsneer
I'm not saying it's bothering the coaches they obviously know how to prepare for a game. But just me the thing that concerns me the most is I don't how many times ( I believe Swain ran it a few times) they've seen the old T formation and triple option like that if you don't play disciplined D can really hurt you. I about rather met a spread formation team.
Most these boys played for riddle schematically they know how to stop it or slow it down. It’ll come down to Jimmy’s and joes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT