ADVERTISEMENT

1A Matchups

football0000

Oct 17, 2009
This is theoretical but if you could match up any 1A schools in the state for a non conference game what would they be? Five matchups you would like to see?

No particular order:
Swain vs Mt.Airy
Swain vs East Surry
Swain vs Murphy
Swain vs Robbinsville
Robbinsville vs Murphy

An extra one is Swain Vs MIC.

I would like to see Mt Airy, East Surry and Taraboro play the same schedule as the top SMC teams. Two reasons, even the bottom teams in the SMC are usually very physical(last year being an exception). The other being that we on this board could compare apples to apples as opposed to apples to oranges. I know I didn't stay within the 5 games parameters, but, hey I never listen anyway.

I would like to see Mt Airy, East Surry and Taraboro play the same schedule as the top SMC teams. Two reasons, even the bottom teams in the SMC are usually very physical(last year being an exception). The other being that we on this board could compare apples to apples as opposed to apples to oranges. I know I didn't stay within the 5 games parameters, but, hey I never listen anyway.
No disrespect intended to the SMC folks on this board, but according to Simmons Ratings, the Coastal Plains 1A is the strongest 1A conference in the state.

Coastal Plains - 93.3
SMC - 87.0

If you take Tarboro completely out of the calculation, SMC is a better conference, but not by much.

SMC - 87.0
CP minus Tarboro - 85.0

http://www.simmonsratings.com/hsfbconfrank18.htm

The SMC state records speak louder than ol Simmons
I understand that mountain football has a rich history, but if someone is going to tell me that things would be different in Tarboro if they had a SMC quality schedule, I'm sorry but I am not convinced they wouldn't have been just as dominant. The legacy of SMC has been well deserved, but I will also tell you what the current numbers say and try not to insult anyone's intelligence in the process.

I'm not gonna pretend that the SMC is the strongest conference in NC with the best football players overall, however; The SMC IS BY FAR historically the best 1A conference in NC football, period. Beyond Tarboro, the top two possibly three teams in the SMC last year would have ran through the rest of the CP conference. The evidence of this was the utter dismantling of Pamlico in the State Championship by a Murphy team that didn't even have their best RB on the field. I'll take historical data, and recent playoff success over some interpretive criteria any day of the week
I can't dispute Pamlico was a real setback, they got rattled early and never recovered. They played like a team unprepared for the moment. Riverside was a better team in my opinion, but they just don't match up well with Pamlico. I think the two conferences currently are pretty even in terms of strength.

I think Robbinsville, Swain, and Murphy would destroy that entire conference except Tarboro.

Reactions: Mbulld
1. Jones senior zero titles / enrollment 310
2. North side zero titles / enrollment 404
3. Pamlico zero titles / enrollment 448
4. Riverside Martin zero titles / enrollment 524
5. South Creek zero titles / enrollment 245
6. Southside zero titles / enrollment 411
7. Tarboro ,2017,2018 1aa state champs
2011,2010,2009, 2a state champs
1984,1965 3a state champs
Enrollment 557
Conference enrollment 2,899
Titles 7 from 1 team.
only a few of those titles was won in this conference

1. Andrew 1967,1966,1964,1963,1958 1a state champs /enrollment 209
2. Rosman zero titles /enrollment 343
3. Hayesville zero titles / 370
4. Murphy 2018,2016,2013,2011,1996,1991,1987,1986 1a state champs
1974 2a state champs / enrollment 470
5, Cherokee 2017 1a state Champs / enrollment 324
6. Robbinsville 2014, 1992, 1983,1982,1981,1980,1979,1977,1976,1974,1973,1970,1969,1965
/ enrollment 362
7. Swain 2011 1aa state champs
2004,2001,1990,1989,1988,1985 1a state champs
1979 2a state champs /enrollment 550
2,628 conference enrollment.
Titles 37 from 5 teams.
All titles were won in the smc.

Last edited:
Tarboro, Riverside, Pamlico, Southside, Jones Senior, South Creek, Northside-Pinetown.

1. Jones senior zero titles / enrollment 310
2. North side zero titles / enrollment 404
3. Pamlico zero titles / enrollment 448
4. Riverside Martin zero titles / enrollment 524
5. South Creek zero titles / enrollment 245
6. Southside zero titles / enrollment 411
7. Tarboro ,2017,2018 1aa state champs
2011,2010,2009, 2a state champs
1984,1965 3a state champs
Enrollment 557
Conference enrollment 2,899
Titles 7 from 1 team.
only a few of those titles was won in this conference

1. Andrew 1967,1966,1964,1963,1958 1a state champs /enrollment 209
2. Rosman zero titles /enrollment 343
3. Hayesville zero titles / 370
4. Murphy 2018,2016,2013,2011,1996,1991,1987,1986 1a state champs
1974 2a state champs / enrollment 470
5, Cherokee 2017 1a state Champs / enrollment 324
6. Robbinsville 2014, 1992, 1983,1982,1981,1980,1979,1977,1976,1974,1973,1970,1969,1965
/ enrollment 362
7. Swain 2011 1aa state champs
2004,2001,1990,1989,1988,1985 1a state champs
1979 2a state champs /enrollment 550
2,628 conference enrollment.
Titles 37 from 5 teams.
All titles were won in the smc.
Simmons must not have noticed this

I think he was talking about this year. Minus tarboro Charter that conference is weak.

Your right it's not the 80s anymore but the results speak for themselves.

I will be the first to admit Tarboro’s conference isn’t very strong however let’s remember Tarboro only has two 1AA state titles this year and last year perfect undefeated seasons. With that said look at all their 2A state titles and how many times they have been to the state titles out of 1AA. They have also won state title in 3A. Tarboro is not some random ordinary football team. They are dominant fora reason and i invite you all to go to High School Overtime . Com on WRAL and type in East Surry and turn the volume up as much as possible (not being funny with that part just the sound doesn’t get good till like after a minute) and listen to the East Surry player (players all the way to the right wraith dark hair) when he said “when he watched Tarboro on film he wasn’t really impressed until that got into the physical motion of the game” and while he saying that watch the other two players facial expressions. They have never seen anything like that before. Tarboro’s non conference is always good playing larger schools and they still find ways to win. Again I’ll take Last years Murphy’s team with their star RB on the field and play against last Years Tarboro’s team and I’ll give Murphy 7 and Tarboro 50. To much speed and physical play to match Tarboro

That’s the same ol chit been said as far back as I can remember. The teams on the east are to fast, to big, to good, for the mountain boys. But the records speak for themselves, I want to challenge the mighty Tarboro to play us,I ain’t scared

There is no doubt that Tarboro is the top 1a/1aa team in the state. To say they would beat Murphy 50-7 is ridiculous! Especially By saying to much speed and physicality, they may have more speed but I am sure they can match pretty well with the physical aspect! No I haven’t seen Tarboro play and I don’t need to, I know they are the #1 team! I just think basing a matchup off of stats and SOS is not the way to do it. I would like to see a Murphy/Tarboro matchup it would be closer than most could imagine!!!

I will be the first to admit Tarboro’s conference isn’t very strong however let’s remember Tarboro only has two 1AA state titles this year and last year perfect undefeated seasons. With that said look at all their 2A state titles and how many times they have been to the state titles out of 1AA. They have also won state title in 3A. Tarboro is not some random ordinary football team. They are dominant fora reason and i invite you all to go to High School Overtime . Com on WRAL and type in East Surry and turn the volume up as much as possible (not being funny with that part just the sound doesn’t get good till like after a minute) and listen to the East Surry player (players all the way to the right wraith dark hair) when he said “when he watched Tarboro on film he wasn’t really impressed until that got into the physical motion of the game” and while he saying that watch the other two players facial expressions. They have never seen anything like that before. Tarboro’s non conference is always good playing larger schools and they still find ways to win. Again I’ll take Last years Murphy’s team with their star RB on the field and play against last Years Tarboro’s team and I’ll give Murphy 7 and Tarboro 50. To much speed and physical play to match Tarboro

"to much physical play" lol..... yawn

There is no doubt that Tarboro is the top 1a/1aa team in the state. To say they would beat Murphy 50-7 is ridiculous! Especially By saying to much speed and physicality, they may have more speed but I am sure they can match pretty well with the physical aspect! No I haven’t seen Tarboro play and I don’t need to, I know they are the #1 team! I just think basing a matchup off of stats and SOS is not the way to do it. I would like to see a Murphy/Tarboro matchup it would be closer than most could imagine!!!
If we could meet in the middle at the end of the year, that would be ok. It’s not worth it to schedule a game like that though, especially with athletic budgets as tight as they are. It’s certainly not fear, and just so you guys understand I give Murphy their due. They are the best team in that conference, but as a whole the SMC isn’t the juggernaut it once was.

If we could meet in the middle at the end of the year, that would be ok. It’s not worth it to schedule a game like that though, especially with athletic budgets as tight as they are. It’s certainly not fear, and just so you guys understand I give Murphy their due. They are the best team in that conference, but as a whole the SMC isn’t the juggernaut it once was.
No one ever said anything about fear! Tarboro shouldn’t fear any 1A team and I guarantee Murphy doesn’t! Tarboro would win but it would be closer than most think as I stated before.

To much speed? Maybe, but Murphy usually has plenty of speed. Not every year but most. To much physical play? Give me a break! 50-7? You have lost your mind

You are correct we aren’t whaat the SMC once was! But there were 3 teams in the SMC that could have beaten pamlico in the finals.

Southside lost to Swain County in the championship game back in ‘04 16-14.
Northside got beat by Graham back in 2000 in the championship game 31-6.
Southside also played Plymouth down to the wire in ‘15 and ‘16 losing 17-12 and 7-2 respectfully.
I would’ve like to have seen how Southside would’ve matched up to Robbinsville back in ‘15 and Murphy back in ‘16.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT