ADVERTISEMENT

1A Matchups

Southside lost to Swain County in the championship game back in ‘04 16-14.
Northside got beat by Graham back in 2000 in the championship game 31-6.
Southside also played Plymouth down to the wire in ‘15 and ‘16 losing 17-12 and 7-2 respectfully.

They also lost to Elkin in what 2002 in the championship. Southside was pretty solid in the early 2000s.

You are correct we aren’t whaat the SMC once was! But there were 3 teams in the SMC that could have beaten pamlico in the finals.

I’d say they were at least 4 teams that could’ve done it and maybe 5.
I think the discussion on Pamlico is a bit skewed. They get judged on one game against Murphy. There are a lot of teams that Murphy made look really bad last year. I'm not in anyway saying that Murphy wasn't the better team, but Pamlico fumbling their first two possessions away and giving up 2 easy TDs was very uncharacteristic of that team and it was 21-7 at the half. You guys are trying to tell me that the whole SMC basically would have rolled Pamlico and you cite 40-50 years of SMC history, yet you dismiss entirely the season Pamlico had leading up to that championship game.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
I think the discussion on Pamlico is a bit skewed. They get judged on one game against Murphy. There are a lot of teams that Murphy made look really bad last year. I'm not in anyway saying that Murphy wasn't the better team, but Pamlico fumbling their first two possessions away and giving up 2 easy TDs was very uncharacteristic of that team and it was 21-7 at the half. You guys are trying to tell me that the whole SMC basically would have rolled Pamlico and you cite 40-50 years of SMC history, yet you dismiss entirely the season Pamlico had leading up to that championship game.
Go watch Pamilco first play on offense from the State game. Then tell me why they fumbled. They are called forced turnovers where I come from. It's not like they just dropped the ball for no reason. A great D changes the normal "characteristics" of an Offense.. in my opinion Pamilco didnt just fumble their first 2 drives and give up 2 "easy" tds. Those tds came thanks to a great D "FORCING" turnovers.

Murphy, Robbinsville, and Swain would have definitely blown Pamlico out of the water and I think Cherokee would have beaten Pamlico as well at least by a touchdown or two. Rosman and Andrews would have given them all they could have handled. I guarantee that.
lol. No

Reactions: HowerinJr
I've noticed that no matter how many time the smc proves it the next year we hear the same thing from new posters. It will never end guys. To slow, not the 80s, not enough athletes, so on and so on.

Reactions: farmersonly
I dont think I can put much trust into someone who spouts off ridiculous comments like that. I guess you picked Golden State to sweep Toronto too.
First of all I don’t watch worthless NBA crap. Second of all i give Murphy is just due and they have a great coach but hate to break it to ya Tarboro is on a different kind of level and I would invite you to actually go see Tarboro in person I’m sure your perspective will change quickly

First of all I don’t watch worthless NBA crap. Second of all i give Murphy is just due and they have a great coach but hate to break it to ya Tarboro is on a different kind of level and I would invite you to actually go see Tarboro in person I’m sure your perspective will change quickly
Pamlico was a very good football team that was not ready for the wing t ,defensively coach Nelson had an excellent game plan , not sure we even practiced against a pass that week. Plus we were pretty talented. As far as Tarboro goes we didnt play so who knows.

Go watch Pamilco first play on offense from the State game. Then tell me why they fumbled. They are called forced turnovers where I come from. It's not like they just dropped the ball for no reason. A great D changes the normal "characteristics" of an Offense.. in my opinion Pamilco didnt just fumble their first 2 drives and give up 2 "easy" tds. Those tds came thanks to a great D "FORCING" turnovers.
Ease up man. I'm not I'm not saying Murphy got lucky or anything. I pointed out that they were the better team. I didn't say the defense wasn't good. I was saying it was something the Pamlico coaching staff got corrected because they were able to right the ship and go 7-7 the rest of the half. As the game wore on, the cream will rise to the top. My contention was Murphy was able to disrupt. That doesn't mean every other team in the SMC is capable of presenting that same kind of problem. This conversation for me has never been about delegitimizing Murphy's accomplishments. It was about posters using Murphy's win over Pamlico as their case for why Pamlico is a mediocre team that anyone in the SMC could whip them. If folks on here were intellectually honest with themselves, they would see the "disrespect" they feel coming in their direction (east or west) is usually caused by careless and biased statements on their part.

Reactions: mbdfan
Ease up man. I'm not I'm not saying Murphy got lucky or anything. I pointed out that they were the better team. I didn't say the defense wasn't good. I was saying it was something the Pamlico coaching staff got corrected because they were able to right the ship and go 7-7 the rest of the half. As the game wore on, the cream will rise to the top. My contention was Murphy was able to disrupt. That doesn't mean every other team in the SMC is capable of presenting that same kind of problem. This conversation for me has never been about delegitimizing Murphy's accomplishments. It was about posters using Murphy's win over Pamlico as their case for why Pamlico is a mediocre team that anyone in the SMC could whip them. If folks on here were intellectually honest with themselves, they would see the "disrespect" they feel coming in their direction (east or west) is usually caused by careless and biased statements on their part.
I hear you. I just get sick of hearing "oh if so and so didnt fumble or throw those pics they would have won" well of course they would have in most cases. But defense wins championships and those turnovers are usually force . I personally believe rville would have beaten Pamilco but not Swain or anyone else.

Reactions: mbdfan
Pamlico was a very good football team that was not ready for the wing t ,defensively coach Nelson had an excellent game plan , not sure we even practiced against a pass that week. Plus we were pretty talented. As far as Tarboro goes we didnt play so who knows.
Exactly. That's the way it went, and yes we have not or did not play Tarboro so no one KNOWS what would happen.

If we could meet in the middle at the end of the year, that would be ok. It’s not worth it to schedule a game like that though, especially with athletic budgets as tight as they are. It’s certainly not fear, and just so you guys understand I give Murphy their due. They are the best team in that conference, but as a whole the SMC isn’t the juggernaut it once was.
wow this guy has lost his marbles!!!

Reactions: BK13T-$
wow this guy has lost his marbles!!!
Crazy-Laughing-Man-Funny-Gif-Image.gif

Saw Pamlico vs Tarboro and Pamlico vs Murphy last year. My opinion...Tarboro matches Murphy size with crazy speed....Tarboro takes the head to head with Murphy by two or three touchdowns last year. As for which is the better conference...SMC conference top to bottom, year after year is much better. Need more depth than Tarboro and more consistency from The rest in the Coastal Plains. Go Canes!

Reactions: THSRudeBoyz
Jones Senior High with an enrollment of 310? For a whole county. I’ve been through Jones County quite a bit and I guess it is pretty sparce.

That’s tough. Consolidation isn’t even an option!
Last I heard they were building one K-12 school for the whole county to replace everything.

JS and Pamlico have no option for consolidation. One County....one HS. I'm certain there are others...East and West.

Honestly I'm just trying to figure out what school in the West plays fair. Seems like they're all blaming each other for recruiting players and cooking the enrollment numbers. Don't hear those kind of issues in the East...except for those with Tarboro envy. Thinking the SMC should consolidate into one big 4a school and let them all play nice together.

Alot of the solid 1A east teams like Wallace-Rose, Plymouth, SW Onslow, James Kenan are 2A teams now. Counting championships over east and west 1A is silly. Just because those west schools have been 1A for 40+ years is the ONLY reason yall have any 1A supremacy. I hope Yall realize Tarboro uses its first string against Pamlico in the first quarter only lol. Secondly, what do yall want Tarboro to do? Beat Murphy with there second string so it can be competitive? It really does feel like Tarboro envy. If the 5A comes into play Tarboro can go back to winning 2A championships and yall can have the precious 1A back. Lol.
Don't be mad that Tarboro is 1A. Get in the weight room, work hard, and beat them!

Last edited:
Reactions: THSRudeBoyz
Alot of the solid 1A east teams like Wallace-Rose, Plymouth, SW Onslow, James Kenan are 2A teams now. Counting championships over east and west 1A is silly. Just because those west schools have been 1A for 40+ years is the ONLY reason yall have any 1A supremacy. I hope Yall realize Tarboro uses its first string against Pamilico in the first quarter only lol. Secondly, what do yall want Tarboro to do? Beat Murphy with there second string so it can be competitive? It really does feel like Tarboro envy. If the 5A comes into play Tarboro can go back to winning 2A championships and yall can have the precious 1A back. Lol.
Don't be mad that Tarboro is 1A. Get in the weight room, work hard, and beat them!
Plymouth?

Nobody cares about Tarboro. Historically speaking slightly above average.

Thank you for the correction. Ever since they have been called Washington county. I sometimes get them confused with the Washington Pam pac which is 2A but two totally different programs.

Reactions: PtownViking
1. Jones senior zero titles / enrollment 310
2. North side zero titles / enrollment 404
3. Pamlico zero titles / enrollment 448
4. Riverside Martin zero titles / enrollment 524
5. South Creek zero titles / enrollment 245
6. Southside zero titles / enrollment 411
7. Tarboro ,2017,2018 1aa state champs
2011,2010,2009, 2a state champs
1984,1965 3a state champs
Enrollment 557
Conference enrollment 2,899
Titles 7 from 1 team.
only a few of those titles was won in this conference

1. Andrew 1967,1966,1964,1963,1958 1a state champs /enrollment 209
2. Rosman zero titles /enrollment 343
3. Hayesville zero titles / 370
4. Murphy 2018,2016,2013,2011,1996,1991,1987,1986 1a state champs
1974 2a state champs / enrollment 470
5, Cherokee 2017 1a state Champs / enrollment 324
6. Robbinsville 2014, 1992, 1983,1982,1981,1980,1979,1977,1976,1974,1973,1970,1969,1965
/ enrollment 362
7. Swain 2011 1aa state champs
2004,2001,1990,1989,1988,1985 1a state champs
1979 2a state champs /enrollment 550
2,628 conference enrollment.
Titles 37 from 5 teams.
All titles were won in the smc.
Call me crazy (most people do) but how can you determine which conference is tougher to date by looking at previous state champions. Just wondering

Nobody cares about Tarboro. Historically speaking slightly above average.
Historically speaking, they are the only team with multiple state titles in 3 different numeral divisions. So I'll just smh and chuckle @ the "slightly above average" part.

There is no doubt that Tarboro is the top 1a/1aa team in the state. To say they would beat Murphy 50-7 is ridiculous! Especially By saying to much speed and physicality, they may have more speed but I am sure they can match pretty well with the physical aspect! No I haven’t seen Tarboro play and I don’t need to, I know they are the #1 team! I just think basing a matchup off of stats and SOS is not the way to do it. I would like to see a Murphy/Tarboro matchup it would be closer than most could imagine!!!
It’s very easy to say that Tarboro would smoke Murphy. Tarboro destroyed Pamlico and Murphy can’t make extra points in the title game. Murphy’s offense would have been on their backs the whole game. I would love to see this game let both teams meet in Greensboro and duke it out. But Tarboro wins by a landslide with their 3rd sting in 4th quarter

Well, it would be kinda hard to have those two teams meet in Greensboro now...you know, since it’s summer time and both schools have had their graduations. Neither team would be the same now. But anyway....

Murphy dropped 60 plus on Pamlico without even having their starting RB available for the game, and could have scored 80 plus easily had they not called off the dogs. Your post has zero logic.

I'll leave this here again for the obviously misinformed.
I hope Yall realize Tarboro uses its first string against Pamlico in the first quarter only lol. Secondly, what do yall want Tarboro to do? Beat Murphy with there second string so it can be competitive? It really does feel like Tarboro envy. If the 5A comes into play Tarboro can go back to winning 2A championships and yall can have the precious 1A back. Lol.

Saw both games. Tarboro called off the dogs way earlier than Murphy did. Don’t know unless they played, but I feel Tarboro would win by at least 2 TDS. I have been wrong before.

You do realize that Pamlico’s star QB didn’t play against Tarboro, right? Just thought I’d mention that. Tarboro envy? Seems to me you have it backwards. I see more people beating their chests about how badly Tarboro would beat Murphy than the other way around. There is no Tarboro envy in Murphy, I assure you. Their trophy case is stocked full of trophies just like Tarboro’s.
Lololo...This is how clueless you are. I realize.. you are the one that doesn't realize. Pamlico doesnt list a QB on any of their rosters. They run a version of the triple o. Star QB? Lol. You act like they have a 1000 yard passer. Lol. 95% of plays are running plays (handing off or QB keeper). They pass out of desperation. The kid you are thinking about played he just didn't make it past the first quarter @ 21-0. Bottom line is Murphy wouldnt be able to score on Tarboro's defense at will. I really dont think they lose to Pisah and would beat them by at least 3 TD's. Tarboro would beat Murphy and it wouldnt even be a competitive game unless the second string came in the game for Tarboro. Even then, Murphy wouldn't be a favorite to win that game. Those are the facts that anyone who hasn't seen Tarboro can't come to grips with. Murphy is a great 1A team but Tarboro could contend for "chips" in 2A. They have won titles in 3 different classifications,1A, 2A, and 3A.Rocky Mount a solid 3A contender deserves applause for putting Tarboro on their schedule. That game will be competitive.

Last edited:
Lololo...This is how clueless you are. I realize.. you are the one that doesn't realize. Pamlico doesnt list a QB on any of their rosters. They run a version of the wildcat. Star QB? Lol. You act like they have a 1000 yard passer. Lol. 95% of plays are running plays (handing off). They pass out of desperation. Bottom line is Murphy wouldnt be able to score on Tarboro's defense period! Tarboro would beat Murphy and it wouldnt even be a competitive game unless the second string came in the game for Tarboro. Even then, Murphy wouldn't be a favorite to win that game. Those are the facts that anyone who hasn't seen Tarboro can't come to grips with. Murphy is a great 1A team but Tarboro could contend for "chips" in 2A. Rocky Mount a solid 3A contender deserves applause for putting Tarboro on their schedule. That game will be competitive.

Doesn't Pamlico run flexbone triple option? They did last year.

Reactions: bud33345
OMG ... Bud was wrong about something ... Way to go "Kid". Wonder what else he's wrong about?
Tarboro has been hanging 60/70 on "P" teams so long it's hard to remember which took the worst whooping. I can guarantee one thing I'm right about....Once Tarboro goes back to 2A yall can whine about other 1A opponents yall might ACTUALLY have a chance to beat. It's a silly debate anyway. What difference does it make if they win by 3 tds or 5? Yall are big losers against Tarboro either way. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT