ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball 1A Baseball

Did the NCHSAA do away with the leap frog rule this year? Or is it still active? The playoff qualification process changes every year and it becomes difficult to keep up sometimes.

Just got in from Glamseur.......

Chatham Central bested ER 7-4. With the score 2-1, CC scored five runs in the fourth (three of which came on a home run to deep right). CC's a pretty good ballclub. They bunt really well (or at least they did tonight). I hope that the guy that hurt his leg makes a quick recovery.

ER needs to change their "theme music" at the plate (except for Stratton's......I approve of his). That mumble rap just ain't workin'.

Also, someone needs to tell the PA guy to curb his enthusiasm 😁.

I
Just got in from Glamseur.......

Chatham Central bested ER 7-4. With the score 2-1, CC scored five runs in the fourth (three of which came on a home run to deep right). CC's a pretty good ballclub. They bunt really well (or at least they did tonight). I hope that the guy that hurt his leg makes a quick recovery.

ER needs to change their "theme music" at the plate (except for Stratton's......I approve of his). That mumble rap just ain't workin'.

Also, someone needs to tell the PA guy to curb his enthusiasm 😁.
I thought PA was rather subdued last night…

As far as young man who injured leg he was walking decently after game. He is very important to CC as he is their ace.

ER senior night tonight. Saved a little bit of pitching for Trinity.

Hopefully PA guy is on his A game as well as team…

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I understand your leap frog statement as that was rule back before realignment however would it only apply to say teams that would not make it with RPI but win their conference? Thus if your conference had only 1 automatic birth and the team that finished second had a higher RPI they couldnt leap frog into a higher seed---however does leap frogging also apply to every team in the conference----i.e. 4 cannot leap frog 3 even if they have a higher RPI? Hope my question is clearer than this leap frog mess that wasn't written or published anywhere.

I understand your leap frog statement as that was rule back before realignment however would it only apply to say teams that would not make it with RPI but win their conference? Thus if your conference had only 1 automatic birth and the team that finished second had a higher RPI they couldnt leap frog into a higher seed---however does leap frogging also apply to every team in the conference----i.e. 4 cannot leap frog 3 even if they have a higher RPI? Hope my question is clearer than this leap frog mess that wasn't written or published anywhere.
Not to convolute this anymore…because I truly don’t know….but I heard..it applies to unexpected teams winning conference tourneys and leap frogging better teams into the playoffs.

Hoping someone in the know…will straighten it out for us.

Reactions: thekidd12
Never mind….here it is…winter board ruling for 2021-2022.

Amendment (Winter 2021 Board Meeting)
Approved inserting a “leapfrog” provision in the playoff qualification process, effective immediately. Although teams with higher RPI ratings will still be seeded higher, they may not qualify before a team that finished ahead of them in their conference standings.

Reactions: thekidd12
Maiden
So lets say team 1 finishes higher in conference but has a lower RPI than team 2. Both teams finished out of the "automatic" births but both still qualify for playoffs. Who gets the higher seed---does leap frog play into this since both are out of automatic births?

Maiden
So lets say team 1 finishes higher in conference but has a lower RPI than team 2. Both teams finished out of the "automatic" births but both still qualify for playoffs. Who gets the higher seed---does leap frog play into this since both are out of automatic births?
Team 2…with the higher RPI gets the higher seed.

If team 2 qualified and team 1 didn’t….that’s another story altogether….which is why I believe this was written.
It’s simply for the playoff qualification of teams. Are they in or are they out.

Please know… I’m just a fan…trying to figure it all out. 😉

4.1.18 Playoff Berths/Qualification:
(a) Lacrosse, Tennis and Wrestling will use pre-determined brackets which will be posted on NCHSAA
Website when they become available.
(b) With the exception of the above provision in 4.1.18 (a), conference automatic qualifiers are determined by the number of teams from a given classification in each conference as follows:
(1) 1 – 4 teams = 1 automatic qualifier
(2) 5 – 8 teams = 2 automatic qualifiers
(3) 9 or more teams = 3 automatic qualifiers
(c) Conference tournament champions automatically qualify
(1) If the regular season champion also wins the tournament, no additional berth will be awarded.
(2) If a team other than the regular season champion wins the tournament, it will automatically
qualify for the playoffs. The team will be seeded as an at-large berth in the playoffs unless
already automatically qualified based upon their regular season conference finish.

==========================================================================
CONTINUE
(f) If not enough teams qualify using the above criteria, the bracket will be filled by non-automatic qualifiers in that classification.
(1) Teams in their classification will be selected to fill the remaining slots in the bracket by comparing the highest finishing, non-automatic qualifying team in each conference based on adjusted MaxPreps ranking.
NOTE: (Under no circumstances) may a team "leap-frog" a higher finishing team in its own conference. For this procedure split conferences will have their classifications treated as separate entities.

Hons,
I agree---teams should be selected based on conference standings however my question pertained to seeding and not selection. Thus which team gets the higher seed?

thanks---however the whole section is about berths and qualification and under no circumstance should a team jump another team in the berth/qualification process but if both are in I think seeding should be done based on RPI after the automatics are seeded-----but my opinion doesn't matter--lol---
Thanks again for the information.

Maybe this will help clear things up:
NCHSAA Board of Directors concludes 2021 Winter Meeting
DEC 3, 2021

Approved inserting a “leapfrog” provision in the playoff qualification process, effective immediately. This was done using feedback from member coaches and athletic directors following qualification and seeding process for bracketed sports during the fall playoff season. Although teams with higher RPI ratings will still be seeded higher, they may not qualify before a team that finished ahead of them in their conference standings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT