ADVERTISEMENT

#1 EAST DUPLIN (15-0) VS #2 HIBRITEN (15-0) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD

I just got home. Some thoughts.

It looked for all the world like East Duplin was going to blow HHS off the field. Credit their kids for using a couple breaks and changing momentum. That muffed punt seemed to signal the beginning of the end.

The game hinged on two key factors. (IMO) The loss of Melvin Scott was HUGE. He had two carries and went over 100 yards and a touchdown. Without him in there, the Hibriten defense was able to key on Benson. We waited way too long to adjust before finding some success to the outside. The second thing was FIELD POSITION. East Duplin was in a hole ALL DAY. I counted five drives that started inside the 15. I would love to know what the average starting field position was in this game.

#36 is a fantastic player

Major props to the Red Panthers and congratulations.

I just got home. Some thoughts.

It looked for all the world like East Duplin was going to blow HHS off the field. Credit their kids for using a couple breaks and changing momentum. That muffed punt seemed to signal the beginning of the end.

The game hinged on two key factors. (IMO) The loss of Melvin Scott was HUGE. He had two carries and went over 100 yards and a touchdown. Without him in there, the Hibriten defense was able to key on Benson. We waited way too long to adjust before finding some success to the outside. The second thing was FIELD POSITION. East Duplin was in a hole ALL DAY. I counted five drives that started inside the 15. I would love to know what the average starting field position was in this game.

#36 is a fantastic player

Major props to the Red Panthers and congratulations.
ED,

I agree as a Hibriten fan with all you said.... We got hit in the mouth early on the long run by #9 but our kids hung tough for the rest of the 1st qtr until we caught a break on muffed punt which switched field position.... We didn’t score offensively but did on the safety.... Then we pulled out the halfback Pass which I haven’t seen all year that I can recall or even past couple years..... I also wonder about call down 9-7 going on 4th down with the way ED defense had played... We then hit another big pass play for a TD and then in the 2nd half we hung on for dear lives and had just enough to secure our 1st State Championship

The ED defense completely shut down the running of Gee today(major props to them).... #39, #15 and I forgot the 3rd ED lineman blew up our potent running game all day long.... I never thought I would see a HHS win without a rushing TD!!!!! All week I was thinking this would be a 21-17 or 17-14 type of game and it didn’t disappoint...

East Duplin was a great team and I see why you guys were confident in their chances this week..... I know it hurts but nothing to hang your heads with the effort you gave today.... Unfortunately only 1 team could win... Congrats on your 1st Eastern Championship and the season you had this year

ED,

I agree as a Hibriten fan with all you said.... We got hit in the mouth early on the long run by #9 but our kids hung tough for the rest of the 1st qtr until we caught a break on muffed punt which switched field position.... We didn’t score offensively but did on the safety.... Then we pulled out the halfback Pass which I haven’t seen all year that I can recall or even past couple years..... I also wonder about call down 9-7 going on 4th down with the way ED defense had played... We then hit another big pass play for a TD and then in the 2nd half we hung on for dear lives and had just enough to secure our 1st State Championship

The ED defense completely shut down the running of Gee today(major props to them).... #39, #15 and I forgot the 3rd ED lineman blew up our potent running game all day long.... I never thought I would see a HHS win without a rushing TD!!!!! All week I was thinking this would be a 21-17 or 17-14 type of game and it didn’t disappoint...

East Duplin was a great team and I see why you guys were confident in their chances this week..... I know it hurts but nothing to hang your heads with the effort you gave today.... Unfortunately only 1 team could win... Congrats on your 1st Eastern Championship and the season you had this year

Beautifully stated, ED represented! In the end, that's all one can do. Every kid there is extraordinary.

congrats to Hibriten on their first state championship. congrats to my ED Panthers on a great season and an eastern championship! EDPanther99 explained everything very well. no need for me to go into all the details. there are a whole lot of ifs and buts i can say, but at the end of the day it doesnt matter. the only stat that matters is the scoreboard, and Hibriten was 2 pts. better than us today. congrats again on your big win! hopefully we get our first state title too in the near future. enjoy it Hibriten players and fans! i know i would!

congrats to Hibriten on their first state championship. congrats to my ED Panthers on a great season and an eastern championship! EDPanther99 explained everything very well. no need for me to go into all the details. there are a whole lot of ifs and buts i can say, but at the end of the day it doesnt matter. the only stat that matters is the scoreboard, and Hibriten was 2 pts. better than us today. congrats again on your big win! hopefully we get our first state title too in the near future. enjoy it Hibriten players and fans! i know i would!

Awesome, 96!!

2 years ago, in the ship, we lost a game in ot that we should have won. The next year we stuck it in and rotated! I see that in your future!

Reactions: 96panther
My thoughts...I picked ED by 1 and I stand by it - I think if Scott hadn't gotten hurt we might have won - he is a big weapon for us - you saw what he did in the first quarter - he is a beast!

As an ED grad I want to say great season by ED - you guys made history by getting to the states for the first time and I think I speak for all ED Panther fans when I say we are very proud of you guys.

Congrats to Hibriten on the title - in the end they made the big plays and got the job done. Will be one of the favorites again next year.

yeah, that loss of Scott hurt! especially considering he had just scored a TD!

If a team gives up 190 yards you’d think you’d win the game. Seems as if field position (Hibriten punter) may have been the difference. Everyone knew ED was going to run the ball and they did with a lot if success. I hate it for Battle and the ED fans. Sometimes you play well enough to win and don’t.

Congrats to Hibriten. You found a way and that is what winning is all about.

Reactions: 96panther
what was wrong with Scott?
y'all hurt him LOL! nah, when he went down on that tackle early in the first half he got hurt somehow. i havent heard the official word yet. something to do with his ankle or leg i think. he had a slight limp. he went back in for one play at beginning of 2nd half but he must have figured out he couldnt go and never went back in. i hate for him because he's one of the main reasons we made to the title game in the first place. oh well, thats football. injuries are part of the game.

Reactions: EDPanther99
I'm not poking fun at Scott and not saying there was foul play, but they took his wheels out from under him. :(

yeah, that loss of Scott hurt! especially considering he had just scored a TD!
I didn’t realize he had gone out until talking to some other fans at half... That was a big loss in my opinion as I think ED could have had the outside weapon the whole game.... I thought that was the best plan against us yesterday and you had success at times running to the boundary

Ok fire cat got any of those tires y’all dragging down there? Those ed guys were BIG. Hell we need some tires!!!

Reactions: dogs79
a bad omen came to ED before the game even started. the T Shirt said east duplin GOLDEN panthers vs Hibriten panthers. i mean how do they mess that up? i also heard our team had to ride the bus all the way there and back with no heat. if thats true thats sad.

Go ahead , talk your junk Congrats on the win, y'all deserved it . What the heck happened to that running back you had. He didn't do the all that running you talked about. Our big gun got hurt early cause y'all took his wheels out from under him. He got over 1 and a 100 yds and a TD in TWO carries, 2 carries. What did your guy do, he disappeared , shut out. But it was a great game. The two games at Chapel Hill were the best of the day. Enjoy the win.

Go ahead , talk your junk Congrats on the win, y'all deserved it . What the heck happened to that running back you had. He didn't do the all that running you talked about. Our big gun got hurt early cause y'all took his wheels out from under him. He got over 1 and a 100 yds and a TD in TWO carries, 2 carries. What did your guy do, he disappeared , shut out. But it was a great game. The two games at Chapel Hill were the best of the day. Enjoy the win.
I told people all along that your big gun was 9. Y'all been saying 2.

Wasn’t meant that way bud. Ed shut him down. That’s what makes hhs such a good team. Focus on the stud and someone else will beat you. Been a fun week fire cat!

Reactions: beamer24
I have not posted much on here. All of yaw have had some good post from both teams. I graduated from ED and will always support them. I think that both teams were even yesterday. We just come up a little short. Great job to Hibriten. That was a defensive game yesterday. I talked to some of you Hibriten fan after the game and yaw were 100 percent class. Good luck next year

BL1, That's the kind of game we knew it would be, just not outcome we wanted. All that junk talk, that is just what it was junk talk. I have been both sides of the game. lost one and won the next year many years ago, but the feeling is still there. Sometimes we live our dreams through our kids but we have to let them do the work. The kids will get over the loss but the experience will last a life time. Again congrats to the red Panthers, it was a great Cat Fight.

Watched this game. if #9 for ED didn't get hurt i say Hibriten has no chance. 3 carries 101 yds and the dline was crazy good but the better team don't always win. history tells us that. I was on Hibriten side pulling for them. But have to be a realistic sometimes

cold weather can enhance injuries that you didn't think were all that bad. It's the reason Navy SEALS train in cold water. I wonder if your RB had a nagging injury that he was able to manage until playing in subfreezing temperatures exposed it a little more?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT