ADVERTISEMENT

#1 EAST DUPLIN (15-0) VS #2 HIBRITEN (15-0) STATE CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD

The ED defense was better than I thought. Held WRH to about 180 total yards in a 2 point win and held Hibriten to 190 yards in a 2 point loss.

Hibriten and WRH did little to slow down the ED rushing attack, although ED was down a running back in both games.

Looking at the stats from both those games and I would have guessed ED won both by a wide margin.

Ultimately, the scoreboard is the master.

I disagree. Misleading if you just look at the stats on paper. ED run game was stifled much of 2nd and 3rd quarter. Again, two really good defenses showed out Saturday afternoon.

Thanks to the HHS punting unit, how much of that ED running yard total was spent just trying to get to midfield? How much of that running yard total was in the 99 yard driving late in the 4th quarter with HHS up two scores?

ED was able to break a couple big runs, but they struggled finding much of anything between the tackles.

I was surprised with the play calling from ED. Questionable to say the least, considering Hibriten defense. The going for it on 4th down at midfield early in the game was foolish imo. ED tried to win this game with offense, big mistake when playing Hibriten. ED should have trusted their defense more and this could have changed things.

after attending over 14 state championship games, I as an past coach learned that when your game plan gets busted in the mouth, you have to have a good trick play and another option if they neutralized your original game plan. Hibriten did just that. I thought E Duplin would have a few pass plays to open up that stout defense so they could be more effective with their run game....WRH learned from their early loss against EDuplin and started working on their passing game more to open up their run....Didn't look like Edulpin learned from that win....I thought Hibriten under estimated EDuplins defense but planned accordingly with those "just incase" pass plays---that's the difference in that game & the decisions not to punt early in the game by ED

Last edited:
I can take the ribbing, thats fine . I am a big man who can take it. I have been on both sides of the game myself. It is tough on kids when they lose , and when you win , you feel like you are on top of the world.

Fire Cat, you are 200% wrong!!!! We at WRH know about how it feels to lose the big one 3times. We lost to Albermarle in 2001, lost to Thomasviile by 1pointt 2 years in a row 2004 &2005, when we "thought" we had the better team both years----your head coach was apart of that coaching staff.....I will never forget driving back to Duplin Co after the 2004 & 2005 (arguably the best teams ever at WRH)defeats---speechless and hurt all the way back home--never!!! The young kids in middle school and elementary school saw the hurt it did to our community and decided to work harder so they can bring state championships back WRH with the help and arrival of coach Price.... Those 6 state championships are the results of those back to back 1 point losses to Thomasville......

Last edited:
Reactions: dogs79
Fire Cat, you are 200% wrong!!!! We at WRH know about how it feels to lose the big one 3times. We lost to Albermarle in 2001, lost to Thomasviile by 1pointt 2 years in a row 2004 &2005, when we "thought" we had the better team both years----your head coach was apart of that coaching staff.....I will never forget driving back to Duplin Co after the 2004 & 2005 (arguably the best teams ever at WRH)defeats---speechless and hurt all the way back home--never!!! The young kids in middle school and elementary school saw the hurt it did to our community and decided to work harder so they can bring state championships back WRH with the help and arrival of coach Price.... Those 6 state championships are the results of those back to back 1 point losses to Thomasville......
well you know from first hand experience how we feel! but at least you had already won one when all of this happened. disappointingly, we are still chasing our first one!

I disagree. Misleading if you just look at the stats on paper. ED run game was stifled much of 2nd and 3rd quarter. Again, two really good defenses showed out Saturday afternoon.

Thanks to the HHS punting unit, how much of that ED running yard total was spent just trying to get to midfield? How much of that running yard total was in the 99 yard driving late in the 4th quarter with HHS up two scores?

ED was able to break a couple big runs, but they struggled finding much of anything between the tackles.
If you are looking at the stats you have to look at the number of plays run. They ran 13 for 70 plus in the 2nd. Maybe they were slowed a little in the 3rd. Hibriten ran the ball 41 times for 84 yards for the game- that is the definition of stifled.

Without the two pass plays H is under 100 yards total offense. I believe you have to say ED had the better defense.

The point of my original post was answered by a ED poster. They need to do a better job of finishing drives.

My post shouldn’t take away from Hibriten as they did what was needed to win and their ring will not come with a stat sheet.

If I were an attorney and in court arguing who had the best defense in 2A and 2AA, I think I could make a great argument that it would be East Duplin. They played the to 2A state champ in the 2AA state champ and held both under 200 yards of total offense.
i agree. our only true weakness was what cost us in the title game. and thats the fact that we gave up the big pass play a little too much. but from a run defense, and physicality of play perspective, i see none better! that just makes it all the more disappointing that we didnt win Saturday.

Reactions: aftermath
i agree. our only true weakness was what cost us in the title game. and thats the fact that we gave up the big pass play a little too much. but from a run defense, and physicality of play perspective, i see none better! that just makes it all the more disappointing that we didnt win Saturday.

You all will get it, its all a learning experience. Now that you know that it takes more than just running the ball, I believe you guys will be more well rounded on offense going forward and will be a force. You have 3 feeder schools, so 3 of everything. Continue to 2plattoon and add that passing game even if it hurts because it will benefit you when you run across the Hibritens ,Shelbys, WRHs and Clintons of this world...You remember when WRH would not pass or even attempt a 3pt field goal-look at how well-rounded we have become......You guys will win it...stick with it. You guys beat our ass at home when we tired to just run the ball against a great defense, we learned to pass more because of that ass whipping...Playing against each other in conference will help each team get ready to contend for a title.

If you are looking at the stats you have to look at the number of plays run. They ran 13 for 70 plus in the 2nd. Maybe they were slowed a little in the 3rd. Hibriten ran the ball 41 times for 84 yards for the game- that is the definition of stifled.

Without the two pass plays H is under 100 yards total offense. I believe you have to say ED had the better defense.

The point of my original post was answered by a ED poster. They need to do a better job of finishing drives.

My post shouldn’t take away from Hibriten as they did what was needed to win and their ring will not come with a stat sheet.

And the majority of there total yardage came off two big runs. They need to do a better job of finishing drives? Did you see the game? It's not like they were in the redzone all night and just came up empty.

East Duplin was a great team and would've been a worthy champion, but the conversation is starting to turn from ED "could've won" to ED "should've won" -- and that's just not the case. Hibriten made plays on offense to win this game and then the defense took over. Hibriten was in control from late 2Q on and there was never a moment in the second half where Hirbiten was really in jeopardy of losing it.

It's just one of those games where the stat sheet doesn't come close to telling the story of the game.

Striker, my original post started ...ED’s defense was better than I thought....

I wasnt sure if the WRH game was an anomaly. Apparently it wasn't. To hold two state champions to less than 200 is unbelievable to me. (That WF held MC to 112 is really crazy)

My mention of the stats was not to suggest they should have won - it was just an observation.

It is nothing against Hibriten. I don’t think my post can be taken as a slight to the 2AA state champs.

Reactions: 96panther
I would also wonder how many yards did ED pick up on fourth downs? And with ED's kicker why did they give hibriten such good field position on kick offs? That kicker had alot of touch backs going into this game.

I also think that if ed was scoring more Hibriten probably would have passed more, the pass was wide open all game. I dont blame ED for watching gee, but behind the lbs was wide open.

Reactions: beamer24
I also think that if ed was scoring more Hibriten probably would have passed more, the pass was wide open all game. I dont blame ED for watching gee, but behind the lbs was wide open.
It take running the ball and defense. All champs do those two.

Aftermath, if I am that wrong then you sir are double that amount Wrong. You can not sit around and tell me it wasn't tough to lose a game like that, if you do you are lying. No body wants to lose a regular season game much less a title game. If you think it's not then you have never played the game. All you had to do look at the kids at the end of every one of those title games who lost the game. Most were crying because they lost. It was tough on them. Sure they'll move on , it's only been four days since games. I was at the wallace game and saw kids from Riedsville on the ground crying because they lost to a lucky WRH team. You do know your team came within an eyelash of losing . Had it not been for the fumble your team MIGHT have been crying, because ya'll were not stopping Riedsville to much at that point.

No doubt the better team won when your best offensive play was a fake punt the last drive was throw it up an please catch it Total yards don’t mean shit most teams that lose have more yards.

Reactions: bigdawg_33
No doubt the better team won when your best offensive play was a fake punt the last drive was throw it up an please catch it Total yards don’t mean shit most teams that lose have more yards.

Not true for this years championship games. Of the 8 championship games this this year. 5 of the 8 winners had more yards.

Last edited:
I never said ED was the better team. Give me scoreboard over stats. I just think it is odd ED basically shut down WRH and Hibritens offenses and won a game by 2 points and lost a game by 2 points. When you give up less than 190 yards in a highschool game - that is impressive. To do it to two state champions - wow.

So, if you didnt see the game and picked up the paper and looked at the box score and saw ED with 350 of offense and 1 turnover and Hibriten with 190 total yards, a reasonable person would assume ED won. They would be wrong but it is a reasonable assumption.

I mean no disrespect to Hibriten.

ED was as advertised man you guys was big an physical not taking nothing away but when I saw your team I thought dam.

well you know from first hand experience how we feel! but at least you had already won one when all of this happened. disappointingly, we are still chasing our first one!
If you would’ve got past Tarboro in 2010 you guys would’ve had a cake walk to get your first. It took one of the best plays in Tarboro history to get past y’all. The interception the boy from Tarboro made is still talked about today. Y’all are due for one soon, and I will be pulling for y’all!

"most teams that lose have more yards" ??? what sport are you talking about because its not football.

If you would’ve got past Tarboro in 2010 you guys would’ve had a cake walk to get your first. It took one of the best plays in Tarboro history to get past y’all. The interception the boy from Tarboro made is still talked about today. Y’all are due for one soon, and I will be pulling for y’all!
that play still hurts lol.

I would also wonder how many yards did ED pick up on fourth downs? And with ED's kicker why did they give hibriten such good field position on kick offs? That kicker had alot of touch backs going into this game.
i think more tha anything else, the Hibriten punter was what hurt ED as much as anybody on your team. we had poor field position almost the entire game.

And the majority of there total yardage came off two big runs. They need to do a better job of finishing drives? Did you see the game? It's not like they were in the redzone all night and just came up empty.

East Duplin was a great team and would've been a worthy champion, but the conversation is starting to turn from ED "could've won" to ED "should've won" -- and that's just not the case. Hibriten made plays on offense to win this game and then the defense took over. Hibriten was in control from late 2Q on and there was never a moment in the second half where Hirbiten was really in jeopardy of losing it.

It's just one of those games where the stat sheet doesn't come close to telling the story of the game.
you guys won because you made the most plays that counted. but basically all you did on offense were those two pass TD's and thats it. in the end though you still deserved to win because you did just enough to score more points than us. but dont make it sound like you could have done much more on offense than what you did. you had to work your butts off to score what you did score.

Reactions: strikerHHS
Aftermath, if I am that wrong then you sir are double that amount Wrong. You can not sit around and tell me it wasn't tough to lose a game like that, if you do you are lying. No body wants to lose a regular season game much less a title game. If you think it's not then you have never played the game. All you had to do look at the kids at the end of every one of those title games who lost the game. Most were crying because they lost. It was tough on them. Sure they'll move on , it's only been four days since games. I was at the wallace game and saw kids from Riedsville on the ground crying because they lost to a lucky WRH team. You do know your team came within an eyelash of losing . Had it not been for the fumble your team MIGHT have been crying, because ya'll were not stopping Riedsville to much at that point.

I feel your pain and theirs. But, WRH winning was NOT luck. Our coaches made many adjustments throughout that game, We didn't even throw a single pass, so they had to change things up. I give Reidsville props for being an outstanding team. Our defense caused that fumble-not luck. Just like their defense caused our redzone fumble earlier in the game to stop us from going up 28-7. Coaching and hardwork sealed the 4peat-not luck

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT