ADVERTISEMENT

Worst State Champion

Rosman handed the Bulldogs their only loss in ‘97, 14-7. The Dogs ended the season 12-1.
Yeah, I was at that game, and it was a muddy track that night....Your Bulldogs looked like a college team when they took the field....Tigers had beaten Albemarle also on the road the week before on a Saturday as the game was postponed from friday because of weather....Tigers gained homefield advantage for the next two games beating Burlington Cummings on a FG with 9 seconds left after converting several 4th down conversions...Beat a very good Starmount team in the Western Finals....Biggest OL Tigers have ever fielded.....As mentioned, a hard nosed FB(T.J.Hooper) and tough as nails Jr. QB in Corey Powell....Lost in the Finals 38-28 to North Edgecombe.....Still couldn't believe little ole Rosman was able to beat Thomasville that rainy night back in 97'....

Yeah, I was at that game, and it was a muddy track that night....Your Bulldogs looked like a college team when they took the field....Tigers had beaten Albemarle also on the road the week before on a Saturday as the game was postponed from friday because of weather....Tigers gained homefield advantage for the next two games beating Burlington Cummings on a FG with 9 seconds left after converting several 4th down conversions...Beat a very good Starmount team in the Western Finals....Biggest OL Tigers have ever fielded.....As mentioned, a hard nosed FB(T.J.Hooper) and tough as nails Jr. QB in Corey Powell....Lost in the Finals 38-28 to North Edgecombe.....Still couldn't believe little ole Rosman was able to beat Thomasville that rainy night back in 97'....
If I’m not mistaken that whole list of teams Rosman beat had moved down from 2a that year. I was at the Cummings and Starmount game that was a gauntlet of teams to beat that year . The defense was one of the best I’ve ever seen at Rosman . Can’t remember if he played nose or tackle but I watched I believe his name was Sam Head run down other teams running backs in open field just crazy. Offense seem to do just enough every game .

Reactions: Usdi Watali
I'm going with west Stokes in the 2AA championship. They beat Kinston who was really good and had a lot of speed. Kinston turned it over too many times give west a lot of opportunity. Do t get me wrong 2011 WS was dang good but Kinston should have rolled.
I was wondering if the 2a ranks would make it onto this thread. It took four posts for you to mention what I was thinking. It may be sour grapes but Kinston beat Reidsville the week before on a last play Hail Mary. Many believe he trapped the ball. Certainly looked that way in reidsville film. I didn’t attend the game but Kinston basically imploded and let a few flags take them out. After what felt like a lucky break, it was slightly good to see them blame the refs for losing. The ref giveth, the ref taketh away.

West stokes would not have scored versus Reidsville.

I was wondering if the 2a ranks would make it onto this thread. It took four posts for you to mention what I was thinking. It may be sour grapes but Kinston beat Reidsville the week before on a last play Hail Mary. Many believe he trapped the ball. Certainly looked that way in reidsville film. I didn’t attend the game but Kinston basically imploded and let a few flags take them out. After what felt like a lucky break, it was slightly good to see them blame the refs for losing. The ref giveth, the ref taketh away.

West stokes would not have scored versus Reidsville.
Bandys was the worse 2A team 2002-2003 to make it to the State Championnship vs Reidsville

Bandys was the worse 2A team 2002-2003 to make it to the State Championnship vs Reidsville
Bandys was solid in 2002. We had fans tell us they lost in 2003 as soon as they found out they had to play Reidsville. We are just glad Braun Strowman graduated the year before.

Kids need to learn to play with bad memories. They may have been ok without 2002 in their head.

Southern Vance may be the worst team to make it. But Shelby was a one man show, Vance would have won if Shelby qb didn’t reenter game. With today’s concussion protocol, he would have never stepped back on the field.

Reactions: Doppleganger#
I think it was 1998 when North Edgecombe was the 16th seed in the east, entering their first round contest vs the number 1 seed with a losing record. That was when if a 16 seed defeated a number 1, that 16 would then steal homefield advantage during their stay in the playoffs. North Edgecombe did win that game, so the next opponent, who had a better seed, had to travel to North Edgecombe. NE rode that advantage all the way to the state championship, where they finally lost. I think it was Starmount that defeated them. North Edgecombe WAS the defending state champion, and had been to the championship in 3 of the previous 4 years. But this particular season, they weren't very good, yet still made it to the championship.
Awesome

Reactions: Usdi Watali
Last years New Bern team.
That NB team was good but someone on staff ratted them out...LOL! This is just my opinion they FF that game but the reality of it all is they whipped Grimsley. Now, just hear me out, NB still made their rings.... in ten years who is going to remember who played in this game...LOL? We all win! Grimsley and NB

Easily the worst state championship team is the team that didn't even win their final game. The 1972 Tuscola Mountaineers got their title by tying Sanford 14-14. They didn't even play an overtime to decide it, they just called it a draw so both teams had to share the championship. Neither team deserves to be called a champion because nobody won.

Easily the worst state championship team is the team that didn't even win their final game. The 1972 Tuscola Mountaineers got their title by tying Sanford 14-14. They didn't even play an overtime to decide it, they just called it a draw so both teams had to share the championship. Neither team deserves to be called a champion because nobody won.
Shelby and Reidsville have ties in final game.

I love the Cherokee Braves but there 2017 championship run wasn't a bad team at all but they were very fortunate a few things went there way. Main thing was that Gentry didn't send enough to the early college and ended up being the smallest big 1AA school instead of the biggest 1a school. Murphy beat Cherokee 35-12 the last game of the regular season and would have won conference outright but a player from Murphy recovered a fumble and ran the wrong way vs Swain and swain ended up beating them causing a 3 way tie. Cherokee was only small 1a team between the other tied Murphy and Swain so they got the 1 seed. That was also the year they had bye weeks in first round so if not for the 3 way tie in conference they would have had a lower seed and had to play a first round game. They would have easily won first round game vs whomever but still a bye week before playoffs start is nice... Also having the higher seed allowed them to be at home vs TJ in the 3rd round instead of on the road. TJ was pretty good back then. In the 4TH round they played at Mitchell whom I thought was a better team and had beat the braves year before twice 21 to 0 and 45 to 14 with basically same team... But Mitchell wet the bed that game. I wouldn't say they were worse champions I just know realistically if Murphy didn't make 1AA that season they wouldn't have won it all IMO
Braves had a very good football team in 17, a worthy State Champion

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT