ADVERTISEMENT

Ejections and playoffs

ocdavis31

Nov 9, 2013
What is the current rule on player ejections and team eligibility for the football playoffs? I know some will be tempted to say, “depends on who your state senator is”, but I’m looking for the rulebook answer.

What is the current rule on player ejections and team eligibility for the football playoffs? I know some will be tempted to say, “depends on who your state senator is”, but I’m looking for the rulebook answer.
I like it and you are probably right.

Here is a copy and paste that FBref posted a couple of weeks ago on the same subject. This was taken from the 2023 handbook. Notice it says consider.

Now, two Level 4 infractions are required a ban to be considered. From 3.3.5, page 51:

Level 4 Infractions - Suspension (Two Level 4 offenses within an athletic program or by a team MAY result in playoff sanctions; eg. suspension from playoffs, loss of home contests during playoffs, etc.)
(1) Unpaid invoices or balances
(2) Failure of head coach to complete required rules clinic
(3) Failure of coaches to complete educational requirements prior to first practice date
(4) Failure of coaches to complete educational requirements prior to coaching in a contest
(5) Failure of a team to participate in the playoffs once brackets have been finalized
(6) Failure to properly enter all students on the certified minimum weight form
(7) Failure of a member school to meet athletic event medical requirements for football and wrestling [See 2.3.1 (c)]
(8) Participation in a scrimmage before taking part in the required number of practice days in football
(9) Violation of the pitch count requirements (automatic forfeiture of contest)
(10) Violation of the football conditioning policy
(11) Returning a student-athlete diagnosed with a concussion to practice or play without a completed RETURN TO PLAY form
(12) A coach who participates or is present at a contest after being ejected
(13) Individuals leaving the bench area and coming on to the playing area when there is not a fight
(14) Individual involved in a fight before or after a contest
(15) Individuals leaving the bench area and coming on to the playing area illegally during a fight
(16) A team conducting an illegal practice
(17) A team conducting an illegal assembly
(18) A team that violates the sports season concept
(19) A team participating in an illegal contest (automatic forfeiture of contest)
(20) A team that exceeds the daily, weekly, or seasonal limitation of games/contests (automatic forfeiture of any contest played once the limit has been reached)

Thanks Sportsnut. Missed that one. So, if I read this right, all eleven players on the field can go at it, but if anyone leaves the bench and joins the fight on the field, that could result in a playoff ban.

Thanks. Looks like page 53 deals with it in section 3.3.10 (a). Participation rules. Looks like that may be the change promulgated by the legislature’s, er, “participation”. Leaves it up to the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
In other words, see my opening post.

Three ejections during one season (even one game) and you are banned from the playoffs. Back in 2010, Union Pines and Pinecrest had a huge fight, three players each from both teams were ejected, thus, UP and Pinecrest were banned from the playoffs that year.

Three ejections during one season (even one game) and you are banned from the playoffs. Back in 2010, Union Pines and Pinecrest had a huge fight, three players each from both teams were ejected, thus, UP and Pinecrest were banned from the playoffs that year.
That was the old rule. That has all changed apparently.

That rule no longer exists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT