ADVERTISEMENT

Worst State Champion

Usdi Watali

Aug 23, 2022
Who is the “worst” state champions you know of?

Typically we think of champions either being completely dominate or defeating another equally worthy opponent for a title, but who out there maybe didn’t?

Who were the most unlikeliest of champions? Maybe those who only played their best games when they counted but were otherwise unremarkable?

Can y’all think of any teams that were maybe truly underwhelming but still found themselves in the championship for whatever reason?

Thanks a bunch for any responses, I’m interested to hear some history and I’m hoping to set the mood for some playoff madness.

Reactions: RealStihl
I think it was 1998 when North Edgecombe was the 16th seed in the east, entering their first round contest vs the number 1 seed with a losing record. That was when if a 16 seed defeated a number 1, that 16 would then steal homefield advantage during their stay in the playoffs. North Edgecombe did win that game, so the next opponent, who had a better seed, had to travel to North Edgecombe. NE rode that advantage all the way to the state championship, where they finally lost. I think it was Starmount that defeated them. North Edgecombe WAS the defending state champion, and had been to the championship in 3 of the previous 4 years. But this particular season, they weren't very good, yet still made it to the championship.

I feel the term worst is disrespectful to every team and student athlete that busted their tails to accomplish the ultimate goal. Rank champions sure, but to assume a team that ran the table and did what they had to do when it matters the most was "worse" than the next team is disrespectful.
There's no disrespect. You said yourself: "rank teams, sure", which by the sheer definition of the word rank, means you list the subject matter from best to worst. Best to worst doesn't mean good to bad. Nobody's saying that any of the teams were bad.

I think it was 1998 when North Edgecombe was the 16th seed in the east, entering their first round contest vs the number 1 seed with a losing record. That was when if a 16 seed defeated a number 1, that 16 would then steal homefield advantage during their stay in the playoffs. North Edgecombe did win that game, so the next opponent, who had a better seed, had to travel to North Edgecombe. NE rode that advantage all the way to the state championship, where they finally lost. I think it was Starmount that defeated them. North Edgecombe WAS the defending state champion, and had been to the championship in 3 of the previous 4 years. But this particular season, they weren't very good, yet still made it to the championship.
I'm going with west Stokes in the 2AA championship. They beat Kinston who was really good and had a lot of speed. Kinston turned it over too many times give west a lot of opportunity. Do t get me wrong 2011 WS was dang good but Kinston should have rolled.
This is exactly what I’m looking for, thank you kindly for telling the tale!

Reactions: buzzcoach
I feel the term worst is disrespectful to every team and student athlete that busted their tails to accomplish the ultimate goal. Rank champions sure, but to assume a team that ran the table and did what they had to do when it matters the most was "worse" than the next team is disrespectful.
I meant no disrespect, SWE’98 said it best as far as what I meant. I just wanted to hear tales of grandeur from those who accomplished the unthinkable. In high school athletics, especially 1A football, rarely is there much real parity anywhere close to the top so hearing about these kinds of circumstances is really wonderful and sometimes lost to history.

I love the Cherokee Braves but there 2017 championship run wasn't a bad team at all but they were very fortunate a few things went there way. Main thing was that Gentry didn't send enough to the early college and ended up being the smallest big 1AA school instead of the biggest 1a school. Murphy beat Cherokee 35-12 the last game of the regular season and would have won conference outright but a player from Murphy recovered a fumble and ran the wrong way vs Swain and swain ended up beating them causing a 3 way tie. Cherokee was only small 1a team between the other tied Murphy and Swain so they got the 1 seed. That was also the year they had bye weeks in first round so if not for the 3 way tie in conference they would have had a lower seed and had to play a first round game. They would have easily won first round game vs whomever but still a bye week before playoffs start is nice... Also having the higher seed allowed them to be at home vs TJ in the 3rd round instead of on the road. TJ was pretty good back then. In the 4TH round they played at Mitchell whom I thought was a better team and had beat the braves year before twice 21 to 0 and 45 to 14 with basically same team... But Mitchell wet the bed that game. I wouldn't say they were worse champions I just know realistically if Murphy didn't make 1AA that season they wouldn't have won it all IMO

I love the Cherokee Braves but there 2017 championship run wasn't a bad team at all but they were very fortunate a few things went there way. Main thing was that Gentry didn't send enough to the early college and ended up being the smallest big 1AA school instead of the biggest 1a school. Murphy beat Cherokee 35-12 the last game of the regular season and would have won conference outright but a player from Murphy recovered a fumble and ran the wrong way vs Swain and swain ended up beating them causing a 3 way tie. Cherokee was only small 1a team between the other tied Murphy and Swain so they got the 1 seed. That was also the year they had bye weeks in first round so if not for the 3 way tie in conference they would have had a lower seed and had to play a first round game. They would have easily won first round game vs whomever but still a bye week before playoffs start is nice... Also having the higher seed allowed them to be at home vs TJ in the 3rd round instead of on the road. TJ was pretty good back then. In the 4TH round they played at Mitchell whom I thought was a better team and had beat the braves year before twice 21 to 0 and 45 to 14 with basically same team... But Mitchell wet the bed that game. I wouldn't say they were worse champions I just know realistically if Murphy didn't make 1AA that season they wouldn't have won it all IMO
That was definitely a perfect storm, an extremely entertaining season for sure. That Murphy gaff was unbelievable, still can’t believe that’s how that game went. I will say also that the loss to Murphy I think really lit the Braves flame and gave them a chip on their shoulders heading into the playoffs. Still so proud of those young guys battling back from that tough loss and winning it all!

I watched that game and both teams looked like jv teams. No size and no atheletes.

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$ and mbdfan
I think North Edgecombe had several injuries to some of their better players that effected their record. I tell you what when they got healthy, they were one tough team.
With the Nash-Edgecombe county line demerger, I was told most of the kids coming back to Edgecombe County schools will be going to North Edgecombe. Hopefully, this will help their football program get back to being somewhat competitive like they used to be.

I watched that game and both teams looked like jv teams. No size and no atheletes.
What a ridiculous statement. Cherokee's QB that year T. Mintz played in the Shrine Bowl and went to Kennesaw State (FCS) on scholarship, he ran an 11.1 100 his senior year at 215 lbs. Cherokee's RB Evans ran a 4.55 40 his senior year at 6'1 225, also played in the Shrine Bowl and went to Gardner Webb on scholarship (FCS). Cherokee's top WR C. Mintz ended up signing with UNC Charlotte (D1) on scholarship a few years later and was a 3 star prospect on 247.

All 3 of their primary skill guys were big, fast and athletic. You are a moron.

Last edited:
Shelby won a championship after starting 1-3 in 2018. Concord won a championship after starting 0-3 back in the 2000's. South Point won a championship after starting out 2-4 in 2016.

I wouldn't consider them the worst but more like improbable Champs.

What a ridiculous statement. Cherokee's QB that year T. Mintz played in the Shrine Bowl and went to Kennsaw State (FCS) on scholarship, he ran an 11.1 100 his senior year at 215 lbs. Cherokee's RB Evans ran a 4.55 40 his senior year at 6'1 225, also played in the Shrine Bowl and went to Gardner Webb on scholarship (FCS). Cherokee's top WR C. Mintz ended up signing with UNC Charlotte (D1) on scholarship a few years later and was a 3 star prospect on 247.

All 3 of their primary skill guys were big, fast and athletic. You are a moron

.I guess I what I should have said is the difference in 1A and 1aa was huge that year in talent. Murphy beat Cherokee bad and MA beat Murphy to make it to the ship and Hell Tarboro was a beast that year! Call me all the names you want just my opinion Mr Touchy poo poo pants! I watched the game in person and it was not good!

Reactions: curtiscummings1
The worst 1A to make it to the State Finals Lakewood 1992. They lost to Robbinsville 35-0. Not even a game at all
To add to that.. the best team in 1A that year (Murphy) wasn't in the playoffs due to a bogus ban. They beat eventual state champion Robbinsville pretty handily in the regular season and was undefeated up to that point.

How good was the Columbia team in the 90s that went across the state and lost the 1A championship game to--correct me if I'm wrong--Murphy? I remember at the time discussing with friends what title games to see, and wondering how that nightmare of a road trip from one side of the state to the other would affect them.

Reactions: Usdi Watali
The 2002 Elkin 1A State Champs defeated Southside. That sub divided 1AA/1A bracket was very friendly to Elkin. Their were probably at least 10 to 12 1A teams in the State that would probably beat Elkin that year. They lost to East Surry and Starmount.

What a ridiculous statement. Cherokee's QB that year T. Mintz played in the Shrine Bowl and went to Kennsaw State (FCS) on scholarship, he ran an 11.1 100 his senior year at 215 lbs. Cherokee's RB Evans ran a 4.55 40 his senior year at 6'1 225, also played in the Shrine Bowl and went to Gardner Webb on scholarship (FCS). Cherokee's top WR C. Mintz ended up signing with UNC Charlotte (D1) on scholarship a few years later and was a 3 star prospect on 247.

The no size and no athletes comment might be wrong, but his comment about that game was not. That championship game was among the worst I can remember watching. I remember thinking they looked like jv teams in the quality of gameplay. It wasn't good.

"I guess I what I should have said is the difference in 1A and 1aa was huge that year in talent. Murphy beat Cherokee bad and MA beat Murphy to make it to the ship and Hell Tarboro was a beast that year!"

This statement would have been more accurate. That Murphy team that came to Mount Airy that year was very good. Mount Airy was lucky to get by them. The score wasn't reflective of how close that game was. Unfortunately, I don't think it mattered that year, because as you said Tarboro was a monster. While this year's MA team is probably better overall, I really enjoyed that MA team and that pass attack with Ian Holder and Greene.

The no size and no athletes comment might be wrong, but his comment about that game was not. That championship game was among the worst I can remember watching. I remember thinking they looked like jv teams in the quality of gameplay. It wasn't good.
If he had said the 1AA bracket was far superior to the 1A bracket in 2017 that would've been fine, I would've agreed with that statement ; but he tacked on additional commentary that wasn't true.

If he had said the 1AA bracket was far superior to the 1A bracket in 2017 that would've been fine, I would've agreed with that statement ; but he tacked on additional commentary that wasn't true.
Sorry but I just didn't see a lot of speed and athletic play in that game!

Cade Mintz transferred to Christ School and reclassified. I remember him signing with Charlotte (UNCC) but do not think he ever enrolled or at least did not join the football team. What happened with him?

The father spent a year or so on the UNC football team after playing at Polk County and was a coach at Cherokee.

Cade Mintz transferred to Christ School and reclassified. I remember him signing with Charlotte (UNCC) but do not think he ever enrolled or at least did not join the football team. What happened with him?
I'm not sure what happened with him @btango , like you said I'm pretty sure he never made it to campus or at the least never actually suited up for UNCC.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Just because Murphy beat Cherokee that year and MA beat Murphy doesn't mean Cherokee was bad. in that game Cherokee had 3 linemen out in the SMC that's a big blow and does anyone remember Cherokee curb stomping swain that year at swain. then swain went on to beat murphy. Do I think MA would have beaten them teams. yes I would have

Just because Murphy beat Cherokee that year and MA beat Murphy doesn't mean Cherokee was bad. in that game Cherokee had 3 linemen out in the SMC that's a big blow and does anyone remember Cherokee curb stomping swain that year at swain. then swain went on to beat murphy. Do I think MA would have beaten them teams. yes I would have
Im not going by that game Im going by watching the actual state championship game and both teams looked very average!!!!

then swain went on to beat murphy.
That was a major upset to be fair. Murphy was loaded at the skill positions in 2017 but they did not have the line that the 2016 team (real good group of seniors, including the best d-tackle in 1A that year) and 2018 team (a young Mugharbil and Rayburn, along with a senior Shope) had.

I actually see some similarities between 2017 Murphy and 2023 Robbinsville, both teams were very strong at the skill spots (although Murphy had a much stronger passing game with Curry) and had very strong linebacker corps, but neither was up to their usual standard in the trenches.

To add to that.. the best team in 1A that year (Murphy) wasn't in the playoffs due to a bogus ban. They beat eventual state champion Robbinsville pretty handily in the regular season and was undefeated up to that point.
I'd say the 1991 Murphy team.
They was 2a in enrollment at realignment but was allowed to play 1a but could only go to play offs ever other year. So basically going by that a 2a school won the 1a title. Crazy I know.

I'd say the 1991 Murphy team.
They was 2a in enrollment at realignment but was allowed to play 1a but could only go to play offs ever other year. So basically going by that a 2a school won the 1a title. Crazy I know.
I never agreed with that! Thought they should have been allowed to play in their 1A conference (due to travel) and seeded in 2A by their conference rank but the last team in that conference placement. Example: If eight conference champions in west 2A would have them as the eight seed.

That was a major upset to be fair. Murphy was loaded at the skill positions in 2017 but they did not have the line that the 2016 team (real good group of seniors, including the best d-tackle in 1A that year) and 2018 team (a young Mugharbil and Rayburn, along with a senior Shope) had.

I actually see some similarities between 2017 Murphy and 2023 Robbinsville, both teams were very strong at the skill spots (although Murphy had a much stronger passing game with Curry) and had very strong linebacker corps, but neither was up to their usual standard in the trenches.
I do agree with you on some spots. I do agree with you that Murphy 2016 linemen was nasty. But I don’t agree with swain beating Murphy was an upset. That swain team was really good. Had a really fast QB that year and some good WR. Unfortunately for Murphy that game was played in swain which Murphy always struggles to play at rightfully so. But I’d say the 2016 Murphy team probably the last great Murphy team that dominated everyone besides Franklin that year. I would Murphy 2016 team against any of those last 2 title teams. 2014 Robbinsville and 2016 Murphy team would make a great game

That was definitely a perfect storm, an extremely entertaining season for sure. That Murphy gaff was unbelievable, still can’t believe that’s how that game went. I will say also that the loss to Murphy I think really lit the Braves flame and gave them a chip on their shoulders heading into the playoffs. Still so proud of those young guys battling back from that tough loss and winning it all!
Link to that play. We were losing our minds on the Swain side. Still feel sorry for that kid being caught up in the moment.

In 1997, Rosman almost made this list losing to Thomasville in OT. I can't remember much more since that was my senior year, but I know they lost a few games and got hot at the end of the season. I'm sure Rick can give us the game by game lowdown from that year and I'm sure we'd all love to read about it to reminisce.

I never agreed with that! Thought they should have been allowed to play in their 1A conference (due to travel) and seeded in 2A by their conference rank but the last team in that conference placement. Example: If eight conference champions in west 2A would have them as the eight seed.
Here is my recollection of what happened. Murphy had a 2A ADM and asked to stay in the SMC and then go to 2A playoffs. The state didn't want to give a high seed in the playoffs to a team that may of only played lower competition (remember this was for all sports). The state then decided to allow the Dogs to play as a 1A. Multiple 1A schools appealed the decision. The state then made the poor decision of applying the every other year playoff restriction. This solved nothing and actually made the situation worse.

Reactions: btango
In 1997, Rosman almost made this list losing to Thomasville in OT. I can't remember much more since that was my senior year, but I know they lost a few games and got hot at the end of the season. I'm sure Rick can give us the game by game lowdown from that year and I'm sure we'd all love to read about it to reminisce.
In 97 Rosman lost in title game to north edgecombe . They beat some pretty good teams to get there running the t bone had a full back you just couldn’t stop. Played sloppy to start championship games never could overcome it .

Rosman handed the Bulldogs their only loss in ‘97, 14-7. The Dogs ended the season 12-1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT