ADVERTISEMENT

WNC next realignment

mhhs94

Jun 5, 2023
Maybe its just me but this setup would make way too much sense next realignment...

MAC 3a/4a

AC Reynolds
Asheville
Enka
Erwin
McDowell
North Buncombe
TC Roberson

Mountain 7 3a

East Henderson
Franklin
North Henderson
Pisgah
Smoky Mountain
Tuscola
West Henderson

NWC 3a/4a

Alexander Central
Ashe
Freedom
Hibriten
Hickory
South Caldwell
Watauga

SMC 1a

Andrews
Cherokee
Hayesville
Murphy
Robbinsville
Swain

SWC 1a/2a

Burns
Chase
Draughn
East Rutherford
Patton
Polk
R-S Central
Shelby

WHC 1a/2a

Avery
Brevard
Hendersonville
Madison
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
Owen
Rosman

Maybe its just me but this setup would make way too much sense next realignment...

MAC 3a/4a

AC Reynolds
Asheville
Enka
Erwin
McDowell
North Buncombe
TC Roberson

Mountain 7 3a

East Henderson
Franklin
North Henderson
Pisgah
Smoky Mountain
Tuscola
West Henderson

NWC 3a/4a

Alexander Central
Ashe
Freedom
Hibriten
Hickory
South Caldwell
Watauga

SMC 1a

Andrews
Cherokee
Hayesville
Murphy
Robbinsville
Swain

SWC 1a/2a

Burns
Chase
Draughn
East Rutherford
Patton
Polk
R-S Central
Shelby

WHC 1a/2a

Avery
Brevard
Hendersonville
Madison
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
Owen
Rosman
Polk would be the only 1A in their league for this, so maybe trade them and Hendersonville. That way Polk and Rosman would be in the same conference and maybe it would save them both some driving.

Polk would be the only 1A in their league for this, so maybe trade them and Hendersonville. That way Polk and Rosman would be in the same conference and maybe it would save them both some driving.
draughn would also be 1a if their numbers dont change by then i think

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
yeah i dont think i have the cognitive capacity to figure who fits where with 7 classes, 8 would be easier with a and aa lol
That’s how NC used to do it right? 4 classes with A and then AA? So that’s how you actually had 8 classes? You really doubled up the competition going to 4 classes? Is that the right way to look at it or how you all look at it? That’s what I thought when I saw they done away with A and AA.

Reactions: mhhs94
I had no idea lol
Draughn might be 3A with seven classifications, they have just over 700 students now. They would be a (small) 2A school if enrollment was the only factor, but they are in 1A based on the formula the NCHSAA is using now. In a seven classification system I expect the Burke County schools to be: Freedom (5A or 6A), East Burke 4A, Patton (3A or 4A), Draughn (2A or 3A) and NCSSM-Morganton 1A.

Looking at the ADMs I think McDowell, with 1794 students, might be the only 7A school in this part of the state.

They are probably going enrollment only. That's how I took it.

Draughn 711 should be easily 3a.
Of course this is if NCHSAA goes 7a in football.
I think 2a will top out around 600.

Last edited:
Just FYI when u make these conference - they want no more then 5 teams per conference what i been told so some of the guesses above are far too big

So If we just went with 4-5 team per conference Here is my Ugly prob not the best idea but its just give u a idea n i think some will have some slightly longer travel but will see but here my BEST guess

MAC
Ashesville
Erwin
N. Buncombe
Mcdowell
TC Roberson

Mtn 5
East Hendo
West Hendo
North Hendo
Pisgah
Tuscola

NWC
AC
Freedom
Hickory
Hibriten
Watauga

NW Mtn conference ( i made a name up)
Ash
S. Caldwell
Enka
Smky Mtn
Franklin ** Idk this prob isnt the best or wont work but I went like i said 5 per conference so these were the one i had left and i try do the same team as Poster above used**

SMC 5
Swain
Cherokee
Rosman
Murphy
Robbinsville

SWC
Andrews
Hayesville
Avery
Madison
Owen

SMAC (made up name)
Hendo
Brevard
Mitchell
Mtn Heritage

Why would they only want 5 teams per conference? That leaves schools 6 non conference games to find. I expected with 7 classes that conferences would actually become bigger, or we would see more of a regional approach.

Why would they only want 5 teams per conference? That leaves schools 6 non conference games to find. I expected with 7 classes that conferences would actually become bigger, or we would see more of a regional approach.
they wanna go to a regional approach eventually but from what I been told they wanna limit the size of each conference to no more then 5-6 i believe so Idk what the reasoning is but thats what I have been told a few times but who know bc we really dont know yet how they are going setup conferences n how the going detriment it and all so

But who knows but i just been told they wanna have lesser teams per conference bc I know in other states they only maybe have 4-6 conference games n only 2-3 non conference game bc i seen many states play only 9 games or sometimes they are all conference game or some only have 1 non conference depends on state so im curious if that what they may go to or not possibly in a regional model so thats why they would want smaller conference if that how they want it n structure it

You should put Rosman and Cherokee with Madison Avery Owen. That's the closest.
I except some teams may have to travel just due to fact like i said smaller conference possibly 5-6 teams or whatever so i did the best i could i know mine is not like perfect i just did a rough est and all u know so but I am sure they will try keep traveling to a min. but will see just depends on how the structure it

It's just that Hayesville is more west that any school other than Murphy.
Murphy Hayesville Andrews Swain and Robbinsville are the most western five.

It's just that Hayesville is more west that any school other than Murphy.
Murphy Hayesville Andrews Swain and Robbinsville are the most western five.
I trust me im horrible at this guessing things bc there a lot of unknowns but i tried my best educated guess

So If we just went with 4-5 team per conference Here is my Ugly prob not the best idea but its just give u a idea n i think some will have some slightly longer travel but will see but here my BEST guess

MAC
Ashesville
Erwin
N. Buncombe
Mcdowell
TC Roberson

Mtn 5
East Hendo
West Hendo
North Hendo
Pisgah
Tuscola

NWC
AC
Freedom
Hickory
Hibriten
Watauga

NW Mtn conference ( i made a name up)
Ash
S. Caldwell
Enka
Smky Mtn
Franklin ** Idk this prob isnt the best or wont work but I went like i said 5 per conference so these were the one i had left and i try do the same team as Poster above used**

SMC 5
Swain
Cherokee
Rosman
Murphy
Robbinsville

SWC
Andrews
Hayesville
Avery
Madison
Owen

SMAC (made up name)
Hendo
Brevard
Mitchell
Mtn Heritage
There's no way that Franklin ends up with Ashe. That's an 8-9hr round trip on a bus. For a conference game?

There's no way that Franklin ends up with Ashe. That's an 8-9hr round trip on a bus. For a conference game?
And again I said this prob not the best placement I used it as rough example of what smaller conferences could look like

Split Conferences suck. If you have to drive far so be it. In TN some schools have a long drive for conference games in Football
In AZ depending how rural u are some team travel 3-6 hrs for conference games n also I remember Needles (Cali) traveled 9 hrs for just a non conference game

With smaller conference I’m sure they try keep all team within a geographical area but I’m sure some May end up with longer trip times possibly

In AZ depending how rural u are some team travel 3-6 hrs for conference games n also I remember Needles (Cali) traveled 9 hrs for just a non conference game

With smaller conference I’m sure they try keep all team within a geographical area but I’m sure some May end up with longer trip times possibly
When my son played in TN he had a conference game that was 185 miles away from his high school

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
I still think this is as close as you can get, give or take a team or two, regardless of if there is 4,5,6,7,8 classifications

Big South 3a

Ashbrook
Crest
Forestview
Huss
Kings Mountain
North Gaston
South Point
Stuart Cramer

CVC 2a

Bandys
Bunker Hill
East Burke
Lincolnton
Maiden
Newton Conover
West Caldwell
West Lincoln

MAC 3a/4a

AC Reynolds
Asheville
Enka
Erwin
McDowell
North Buncombe
TC Roberson

Mountain 7 3a

East Henderson
Franklin
North Henderson
Pisgah
Smoky Mountain
Tuscola
West Henderson

MVC 1a

Alleghany
East Wilkes
Elkin
Mt. Airy
North Stokes
South Stokes
Starmount

NWC 3a/4a

Alexander Central
Ashe
Freedom
Hibriten
Hickory
South Caldwell
Watauga

NWFC 2a

East Surry
Forbrush
North Surry
North Wilkes
Surry Central
West Wilkes
Wilkes Central

SMC 1a

Andrews
Cherokee
Hayesville
Murphy
Robbinsville
Rosman
Swain

SPC 1a/2a

Bessemer City
Cherryville
East Gaston
Highland Tech
Mountain Island Charter
Pine Lake Prep
Thomas Jefferson

SWC 2a

Burns
Chase
Draughn
East Rutherford
Patton
R-S Central
Shelby

WFC 3a

East Lincoln
Fred T. Foard
North Iredell
North Lincoln
St. Stephens
Statesville
West Iredell

WHC 1a/2a

Avery
Brevard
Hendersonville
Madison
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
Owen
Polk

Last edited:
I still think this is as close as you can get, give or take a team or two, regardless of if there is 4,5,6,7,8 classifications

MAC

AC Reynolds
Asheville
Enka
Erwin
McDowell
North Buncombe
TC Roberson

Mountain 7

East Henderson
Franklin
North Henderson
Pisgah
Smoky Mountain
Tuscola
West Henderson

NWC

Alexander Central
Ashe
Freedom
Hibriten
Hickory
South Caldwell
Watauga

SMC

Andrews
Cherokee
Hayesville
Murphy
Robbinsville
Rosman
Swain

SPC

Bessemer City
Cherryville
East Gaston
Highland Tech
Mountain Island Charter
Thomas Jefferson

SWC

Burns
Chase
Draughn
East Rutherford
Patton
R-S Central
Shelby

WFC

East Lincoln
Fred T. Foard
North Iredell
North Lincoln
St. Stephens
Statesville
West Iredell

WHC

Avery
Brevard
Hendersonville
Madison
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
Owen
Polk
Ashe will probably go back down in classification and return to playing in a league with the Wilkes County schools. I think they like being in with Watauga, but not so much the rest of us. If you are going to bring Hickory into a conference with Freedom, Alexander and the rest you might as well bring in St. Stephens as well. I don't know what to tell you about Foard, maybe they will go down as well. E. Burke would probably also prefer to be in a conference with Patton and Draughn. A good conference might be:
Polk
R-S
Chase
E. Rutherford
Patton
Draughn
E. Burke
Call it the US 64 conference.

Ashe will probably go back down in classification and return to playing in a league with the Wilkes County schools. I think they like being in with Watauga, but not so much the rest of us. If you are going to bring Hickory into a conference with Freedom, Alexander and the rest you might as well bring in St. Stephens as well. I don't know what to tell you about Foard, maybe they will go down as well. E. Burke would probably also prefer to be in a conference with Patton and Draughn. A good conference might be:
Polk
R-S
Chase
E. Rutherford
Patton
Draughn
E. Burke
Call it the US 64 conference.
I was trying to get it where each conference had 7 teams but it didnt work out lol

Last edited:
Reactions: FreedomAlum

Big South

Ashbrook
Crest
Forestview
Huss
Kings Mountain
North Gaston
South Point
Stuart Cramer

CVC

Bandys
Bunker Hill
East Burke
Lincolnton
Maiden
Newton Conover
West Caldwell
West Lincoln

MAC

AC Reynolds
Asheville
Enka
Erwin
McDowell
North Buncombe
TC Roberson

Mountain 7

East Henderson
Franklin
North Henderson
Pisgah
Smoky Mountain
Tuscola
West Henderson

MVC

Alleghany
East Wilkes
Elkin
Mt. Airy
North Stokes
South Stokes
Starmount

NWC

Alexander Central
Ashe
Freedom
Hibriten
Hickory
South Caldwell
Watauga

NWFC

East Surry
Forbrush
North Surry
North Wilkes
Surry Central
West Wilkes
Wilkes Central

SMC

Andrews
Cherokee
Hayesville
Murphy
Robbinsville
Rosman
Swain

SPC

Bessemer City
Cherryville
East Gaston
Highland Tech
Mountain Island Charter
Thomas Jefferson

SWC

Burns
Chase
Draughn
East Rutherford
Patton
R-S Central
Shelby

WFC

East Lincoln
Fred T. Foard
North Iredell
North Lincoln
St. Stephens
Statesville
West Iredell

WHC

Avery
Brevard
Hendersonville
Madison
Mitchell
Mountain Heritage
Owen
Polk
Again i have been told 2-3 different people they want no more the. 5-6 teams per

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT