ADVERTISEMENT

Will Purnell Swett be looking for a new Football Coach?

-SWETT2VICTORY-

Aug 25, 2022
Boys boys boys now lissen hear. I said lissen now......

Former Purnell Swett coach accepted a job in South Carolina. I have known him for a while and he is an awesome person. I hope nothing but the best for him as he begins a new journey.

Now we move into the 2023 season. It is currently April and we all know what that means, Spring Training has already begun.

It is rare to see a football coach move from one program to take on Purnell Swett's program during this period of time unless he is promised A LOT more than the average Robeson County amount of $9,000/yr for just the coach position. I want to say a coach like Tommy Knots receives $75,000 just as a coach in SC of course.

So the #1 question is, what does Purnell Swetts future look like in the search for a new coach?
BY THE WAY (some candidates have already applied).

I would certainly accept applications and have interviews, but if their is any doubt floating in the air about any of the candidates, then I would suggest simply having an interim for the season until the right hire comes along. Dont just choose just any coach simply to check the block, or just because he knows a lot of parents, or any traditional local nightmare reason.

The #2 question is, who is the perfect interim to run the show?
BY THE WAY (there are names already floating around).

We dont need the "let's just give him a chance" type of hire.
We dont need the "well he gets along well with the community" type of hire.
We dont need the "let's give him 90 days" type of hire.
We dont need the "He's family" type of hire.

Let's get rid of that mentality, think outside the box, and throw that box in the trash.

Q: Is there a Championship Caliber coach available RIGHT NOW and willing to take on this position and turn it around in two years?

Last edited:
Yes tough time. Hope to see great decision making in this one...
I am always going support the local guys n inside guys bc I feel school should hire people who are knowledgeable to Swett and know how work within that school n community- U see sometimes when u go outside it’s 50/50 shot if it will work or not

Reactions: -SWETT2VICTORY-
I am always going support the local guys n inside guys bc I feel school should hire people who are knowledgeable to Swett and know how work within that school n community- U see sometimes when u go outside it’s 50/50 shot if it will work or not
I'm with you to an extent
We have already been through the "knowledgeable to Swett and know how work within that school n community" conversation....... that recipe doesnt work at this dinner table.

I have enjoyed every coach that have came through here.

I started following Swett football in 2007 when I kept seeing a kid by the name of Marlin all over the newspaper. Those were the glory years for Swett. The years there was no seats available, cowbells out of stock, BBQ sales were in style, Greyhound buses had our business since we were known to travel, and even the Mom & Pops business' were supporting the cause no questions asked.

Great coach = attracts athletes
Great athletes = more great athletes
Growth = support
By this time the bleachers are packed, the grills are burning, and Honda Accords are being raffled off.

I am not sure about the 1990's but do you by slight chance remember the 2007-2008 season and beyond:
Overall Record 10-4
Conference Record 5-1
"U see sometimes when u go outside it’s 50/50 shot if it will work or not"

Well we all know what the community did to that leader. They took a 50/50 shot and ran him off. Here we are in 2023.

My point here is: We should be focused on that 10-4 pedigree or better that can achieve things both on the field and for the students future whether they continue on with football or not.

Three questions:
How many locals have been hired since 2015 when the 8 seasoned coach left?
How many 10-4, 7-5, 9-3, 8-5 records have we seen since?
How many local guys do we currently have with the same DNA and can achieve and/or overcome a 10-4, 7-5, 9-3 ,or a 8-5 record in less than two years?

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueDevil1996
I'm with you to an extent
We have already been through the "knowledgeable to Swett and know how work within that school n community" conversation....... that recipe doesnt work at this dinner table.

I have enjoyed every coach that have came through here.

I started following Swett football in 2007 when I kept seeing a kid by the name of Marlin all over the newspaper. Those were the glory years for Swett. The years there was no seats available, cowbells out of stock, BBQ sales were in style, Greyhound buses had our business since we were known to travel, and even the Mom & Pops business' were supporting the cause no questions asked.

Great coach = attracts athletes
Great athletes = more great athletes
Growth = support
By this time the bleachers are packed, the grills are burning, and Honda Accords are being raffled off.

I am not sure about the 1990's but do you by slight chance remember the 2007-2008 season and beyond:
Overall Record 10-4
Conference Record 5-1
"U see sometimes when u go outside it’s 50/50 shot if it will work or not"

Well we all know what the community did to that leader. They took a 50/50 shot and ran him off. Here we are in 2023.

My point here is: We should be focused on that 10-4 pedigree or better that can achieve things both on the field and for the students future whether they continue on with football or not.

Three questions:
How many locals have been hired since 2015 when the 8 seasoned coach left?
How many 10-4, 7-5, 9-3, 8-5 records have we seen since?
How many local guys do we currently have with the same DNA and can achieve and/or overcome a 10-4, 7-5, 9-3 ,or a 8-5 record in less than two years?
Every school different so maybe a outsider will work , maybe local guy may work but They gotta
make a smart decision on who is next

Newsflash … it’s always 50/50 on working out - no matter where the hire comes from (inside or out). Given Swett’s recent fortune and success rate, what makes you believe an in-house hire is the best decision? Don’t mean to dig on the situation or anyone remaining in it, but this “inside hire” logic typically holds true only in/with extremely successful programs. Best wishes to Purnell Swett regardless … may you return to some semblance of your glory days.

Thing is moving to Roberson county. Very few coaches who live in Wilmington Raleigh Charlotte Winston Greensboro will move to Roberson county I say go after Russel Stone he might move back.

Stone may be the one guy who would know what in the heck he's getting into and succeed. Of course, after 2006, he got the Rams turned around only to be spurned by some alumni who wanted Heil back.

Every school different so maybe a outsider will work , maybe local guy may work but They gotta
make a smart decision on who is next
Absolutely! Every program comes with it's level of expertise.

If we are talking about Mecklenburg County then I would say "who's ready to swing the bat".
If we are talking about Carthage High School in TX, I would say "coach is ready to put someone in".
If we are talking about any of Tommy Knotts crew, that is automatic.

But we cant even think of a local in real time within the first 30 seconds - RED FLAG

I failed to ask your definition of "LOCAL"
1. It could be a local Right Now, in the county, able and ready.
2. It could be a local in another school outside the county.
3. It could be a local that has stepped away years ago, yet has awesome credentials that we "Dont call It a Comeback" and ready to knock doors down without allowing parents to pull his lever.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Every program comes with it's level of expertise.

If we are talking about Mecklenburg County then I would say "who's ready to swing the bat".
If we are talking about Carthage High School in TX, I would say "coach is ready to put someone in".
If we are talking about any of Tommy Knotts crew, that is automatic.

But we cant even think of a real-time local within the first 30 seconds - RED FLAG

I failed to ask your definition of "LOCAL"
1. It could be a local Right Now, in the county, able and ready.
2. It could be a local in another school outside the county.
3. It could be a local that has stepped away years ago, yet has awesome credentials that we "Dont call It a Comeback" and ready to knock doors down without allowing parents to pull his lever.

I think my local definition could mean all 3 but when I say local it mean it’s someone who knows the community, the school in some type capacity ; Understand the needs/Demographics and all ; Also has either ties to the local area or some type of connect to general area also depends on what school wants to and who available at the time n also realistically Who wants it so #1 or #2 is best case depending on who wants it

I think my local definition could mean all 3 but when I say local it mean it’s someone who knows the community, the school in some type capacity ; Understand the needs/Demographics and all ; Also has either ties to the local area or some type of connect to general area also depends on what school wants to and who available at the time n also realistically Who wants it so #1 or #2 is best case depending on who wants it
We will just have to see. There are only two decisions that can be made here:
1. The Best Ever
2. or a traditional one

Newsflash … it’s always 50/50 on working out - no matter where the hire comes from (inside or out). Given Swett’s recent fortune and success rate, what makes you believe an in-house hire is the best decision? Don’t mean to dig on the situation or anyone remaining in it, but this “inside hire” logic typically holds true only in/with extremely successful programs. Best wishes to Purnell Swett regardless … may you return to some semblance of your glory days.
Correct

Thing is moving to Roberson county. Very few coaches who live in Wilmington Raleigh Charlotte Winston Greensboro will move to Roberson county I say go after Russel Stone he might move back.
I have a strong belief there's a coach out there with a very high football IQ willing to take on the challenge. No one knows what he looks like, but he's out there somewhere. Will he rise to the surface and apply - maybe or maybe not. Everyone wants to stay in their comfort zone. I would like to see that one coach ready to get uncomfortable and change the algorithm of this community and program.

Last edited:
Stone may be the one guy who would know what in the heck he's getting into and succeed. Of course, after 2006, he got the Rams turned around only to be spurned by some alumni who wanted Heil back.
I am not sure that I can totally agree with that statement. Knowing that Russell Stone is currently at Myrtle Beach Preps, this only means he would instantly loose $10,000-$25,000/yr minimum by agreeing to Purnell Swett's terms.

I could be totally off and totally wrong in that decision!

Ofc any hire is 50/50 but there are coaches that u know who are Winner and can get the job done period n u know if he has time n such he can turn it around like say Russell stone or coach minor type guys imo

Ofc any hire is 50/50 but there are coaches that u know who are Winner and can get the job done period n u know if he has time n such he can turn it around like say Russell stone or coach minor type guys imo
Not real sure what you’re trying to say, but … OK? I don’t have a dog in this fight, or a pony in this race. Once again, best wishes to Purnell Swett.

Not real sure what you’re trying to say, but … OK? I don’t have a dog in this fight, or a pony in this race. Once again, best wishes to Purnell Swett.
My point being is - Ofc any coach is going be 50/50 but there are coach that u know that are proven winner no matter where they are n will take on any challenge like Russell stone who been around for long time n also Derrick Minor is one of the best rebuild/culture building guys I know so my main point is Purnell Swett needs guy like them

My point being is - Ofc any coach is going be 50/50 but there are coach that u know that are proven winner no matter where they are n will take on any challenge like Russell stone who been around for long time n also Derrick Minor is one of the best rebuild/culture building guys I know so my main point is Purnell Swett needs guy like them
It is either an interim or a coach. Time doesnt wait and time kills deals. If the the greatest choice ever is currently in the stack of candidates, there needs to be no time wasted and get on with it.

Coach Minor is currently holding the position at East Burke High and conducting spring training.

As of April 6, 2023
"Working hard when the stadium is empty so we can make our school, family and community proud when it’s full"

Who said he was a available?

It is either an interim or a coach. Time doesnt wait and time kills deals. If the the greatest choice ever is currently in the stack of candidates, there needs to be no time wasted and get on with it.

Coach Minor is currently holding the position at East Burke High and conducting spring training.

As of April 6, 2023
"Working hard when the stadium is empty so we can make our school, family and community proud when it’s full"

Who said he was a available?
LOL I never said Coach Minor was looking nor leaving. I was making my point to the other guy on what I mean what 50/50 means n all n saying what my defeniton of what is the RIGHT hire is

I agree that They need make a hire soon but I understand they need have time to make hopefully the right hire in their eyes

Minor isn’t leaving his area, and I think it would be a hard sell asking his family to move to Robeson Co. You’ve got to really know these coaches well when you start speculating about job openings.

Minor isn’t leaving his area, and I think it would be a hard sell asking his family to move to Robeson Co. You’ve got to really know these coaches well when you start speculating about job openings.
I love when people mistake what I meant. I know coach Minor very well. We talk a ton and I seen him at EB a ton n I even interviewed him a few yr back when he first got at EB. There no way he would leave for Roberson co unless he had a reason to do so . I know his parent do live on Coast now so I think if he ever ever did go else where it would be possibly near his parents.

I said was Russell Stone. Minor and other coaches who are Proven Winners so therefore those are the type of coaches people need to hire if they have a guy like that who applied and who is a Proven WINNER no matter where they have been

Derrick Minor could go anywhere imo and TURN that said program around bar none.

Also If there was JOB opening I thought coach minor was possibly interested in or I have heard his name pop in on said job, Usually I would message him n see what he says n also if he does tell me something I usually try my best to respect said wishes and not say anything until after the fact.

LOL I never said Coach Minor was looking nor leaving. I was making my point to the other guy on what I mean what 50/50 means n all n saying what my defeniton of what is the RIGHT hire is

I agree that They need make a hire soon but I understand they need have time to make hopefully the right hire in their eyes
I love when people mistake what I meant. I know coach Minor very well. We talk a ton and I seen him at EB a ton n I even interviewed him a few yr back when he first got at EB. There no way he would leave for Roberson co unless he had a reason to do so . I know his parent do live on Coast now so I think if he ever ever did go else where it would be possibly near his parents.

I said was Russell Stone. Minor and other coaches who are Proven Winners so therefore those are the type of coaches people need to hire if they have a guy like that who applied and who is a Proven WINNER no matter where they have been

Derrick Minor could go anywhere imo and TURN that said program around bar none.
My apology
You got me all excited for a second and it made me misread what you wrote.

Reactions: Chris_Hughes
My apology
You got me all excited for a second and it made me misread what you wrote.
Hey I understand- If u could draw a coach like him to Swett That would be a major and massive hire so but I hope they get someone like him who knows how to build and build culture but Swett has give it time. EB has given Minor time and support which is why he been so successful

• Love
Hey I understand- If u could draw a coach like him to Swett That would be a major and massive hire so but I hope they get someone like him who knows how to build and build culture but Swett has give it time. EB has given Minor time and support which is why he been so successful
Support is the key topic. You are correct!!!!!!

I think an absolute home run would be to lure Jammie Deese away from Forest Hills.
I thought he applied in the last "election"(2019), but for some reason he self-eliminated himself due to some sort of disagreement while being interviewed. I believe he made a HUGE request that would change the outcome and everything about Swett and it was shot down instantly.

What was the request? - I am not sure.....

I might be totally wrong.

---- BREAK ----

I would accept Jammie Deese.

Forest Hills High School
2022 Record
Overall 9-2
Conference 3-1

I am waiting for that initial season where there are no seats in the stands, line out to the parking lot, Honda Accords raffled off, and much more. We have one of the best announcers and he makes a huge difference in the motivational and exitment level....

I think an absolute home run would be to lure Jammie Deese away from Forest Hills.
I spoke with Coach Deese for about 20 minutes yesterday at the County Track Championship. He is an amazing coach, and an even better human being. He seems like he absolutely loves the school and community at Forest Hills, but I agree with you that he would be an absolute Homerun Hire!!

I spoke with Coach Deese for about 20 minutes yesterday at the County Track Championship. He is an amazing coach, and an even better human being. He seems like he absolutely loves the school and community at Forest Hills, but I agree with you that he would be an absolute Homerun Hire!!

He’s absolutely a first class human.

He turned that program around

I would think Deese is waiting on Bailey to Retire/Cross the state line so that he could go
Home and take over Scotland
Then he won't have to be concerned with kids going to Scotland instead of Purnell.
If Deese is as solid as we are all publictly confirming, then he wouldnt have to worry about anyone going to Scotland, Red Springs nor Lumberton. It would be the other way around. The feeder schools would support his mission...

He would turn Purnell's program around(2yrs or less) and the Caravan filled with African Americans, Native Americans and Caucasians - (maybe a Hispanic kicker) would migrate to "MO Stadium".

Guaranteed!

There are only two decisions that can be made in this hire:
1. The Best Ever
2. or a traditional one

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT